Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 11:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: *Strong Rumour* : KTM Duke 690 around Diwali

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
Yep! This news was confirmed by the KTM dealer here also. He even said that Bajaj are looking for launch of the 990 Super Duke within a price of 6.5 lakhs! Looks like KTM is going to be the biggest premium bike manufacturer in India. Even their MX motocross bikes could be launched here if market demands so!

P.S. KTM! KTM! Please don't keep us low,
ASAP bring the X-bow!

S@ndy
Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
Djay99,

That was my response when I heard these words from the dealer. A litre class bike at the price of a Monster! I am being attracted towards it!

S@ndy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
The first reaction to this news was Bajaj is really shaking up the motorcycling world in India. Duke 200 is already retailing at a very less price compared to elsewhere in the world. Now a 3.25 to 3.5 L 690 cc Duke would just set the cat amongst the pigeons. I have turned into their fan. They are offering world class products to India at great prices. Kudos to them if this news is true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Sandy bhai,
Please don't tempt further. I am feeling happy to hear a price of 3.5 to 4 lacs for a 690 and now you are telling about a 990 super duke @ 6.5 lacs is an even mouth watering price
It appears that I've made quite a few of you 'happy readers' My sources are as reliable or unreliable as any of your's. This is KTM dealers spreading the rumour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Something tells me this will be here a lot earlier than the Triumphs. I would love to lay my hands on this one if the price is right. That would make my ninja a dedicated track tool while this will be reserved for touring and some rare commutes.
Indeed we all hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratheekkunder View Post
KTM690 is not going to come to Indian Shores till 2014 start.
BAL is first going to launch the KTM 350 next year start and then Pulsar 350 mid next year. We will see KTM 350 bikes testing around aamby valley and near chakan plant this diwali. KTM 350 is going to be one value for money bike as per my source.
Also, 2 KTM 990's are sitting on Bajaj's test bike warehouse and these two bike will be spotted testing in coming weeks. !
Of! That is news, if ture! Can you quote the source of your info? What your'e saying is exactly what we all thought initially but for the intervention of the KTM dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
That is exactly what they will do , anything less than 4 lakhs for 690 and it will demolish the non existant category (even before it is created ) .

You should ride the 200 and report back . It will scare the whatever out of you.
Oh yes, I did. Multiple times. And I must say that I am impressed. I think once you drive a KTM, either you will dislike it and not use it over again or you cannot go back to any other bike.

I have a theory regarding this:
Think of you earlier biking years (those unlucky to be in their high twenties of low thirties)--> What kind of bikes did you like--> Did you like CBZ-->Then CBR250R/N650R are the bikes for you-->Did you like RX100/RX135/RD350-->You'll love KTMs, 200/350/690

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 17th August 2012 at 11:38.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Whoever is spreading the info, regardless of how "confirmed" it is, past experience shows that these "rumors" where Bajaj is concerned are not totally wild and off the mark when the bike actually hits the market, that Bajaj is quite closely involved and in touch with the biker fraternity in most of the major "biking" cities so there is some amount of information always flowing, and that Bajaj has a proven track record of being able to deliver - on time and at the right price.

Coming to the KTMs, while it is still a trifle early to tell, as someone who was last a Bajaj customer 10 years ago, I can tel you that they have seriously upped their game with regard to service, quality, tech, and finish. Of all these, their service network, large and well trained as it is, still is woefully inadequate to meet the numbers their sales and marketing are churning out.

The KTM Duke 200 was always going to be the threshold bike for their joint venture. The acid test in the Indian market. And they have more than lived up to the two+ year hype surrounding this bike and building to a crescendo just before its launch early this year.

Its whetted the Indian biker appetite like nothing else. Its brought back a strong whiff of the irreverent blue smoke belching stroker days of the 80s and 90s. The company and the bike is very focused and very clear about what they are and what they want to be. They have given Indians the brand that most of us never seriously expected to be riding so soon at a mass level. There is no one size fits all attitude here, or an "India/developing world" specific effort.

We've been given the real deal. Bikes which even the guys in Europe and stateside are eagerly looking forward to.

And all this is given to us at a killer price. What's not to like about the orange wave building? !!!

Last edited by ebonho : 17th August 2012 at 11:47.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 12:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Whoever is spreading the info, regardless of how "confirmed" it is, past experience shows that these "rumors" where Bajaj is concerned are not totally wild and off the mark when the bike actually hits the market, that Bajaj is quite closely involved and in touch with the biker fraternity in most of the major "biking" cities so there is some amount of information always flowing, and that Bajaj has a proven track record of being able to deliver - on time and at the right price.

Coming to the KTMs, while it is still a trifle early to tell, as someone who was last a Bajaj customer 10 years ago, I can tel you that they have seriously upped their game with regard to service, quality, tech, and finish. Of all these, their service network, large and well trained as it is, still is woefully inadequate to meet the numbers their sales and marketing are churning out.

The KTM Duke 200 was always going to be the threshold bike for their joint venture. The acid test in the Indian market. And they have more than lived up to the two+ year hype surrounding this bike and building to a crescendo just before its launch early this year.

Its whetted the Indian biker appetite like nothing else. Its brought back a strong whiff of the irreverent blue smoke belching stroker days of the 80s and 90s. The company and the bike is very focused and very clear about what they are and what they want to be. They have given Indians the brand that most of us never seriously expected to be riding so soon at a mass level. There is no one size fits all attitude here, or an "India/developing world" specific effort.

We've been given the real deal. Bikes which even the guys in Europe and stateside are eagerly looking forward to.

And all this is given to us at a killer price. What's not to like about the orange wave building? !!!
Brilliantly put, my friend. Bajaj upping their game is indeed great news for the biking fraternity. I am sick and tired of 'developing world/made for India' type efforts. Its a hogwash. What these companies actually means is 'cheap and low cost/low quality', when they say 'developing world/made for India'.

As somebody who used to love the RX135, I will love to ride the 350/690. As I put above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I have a theory regarding this:
Think of you earlier biking years (those unlucky to be in their high twenties of low thirties)--> What kind of bikes did you like--> Did you like CBZ-->Then CBR250R/N650R are the bikes for you-->Did you like RX100/RX135/RD350-->You'll love KTMs, 200/350/690

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 17th August 2012 at 12:41.
Old 17th August 2012, 13:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

From what I've heard, the pre launch campaign (field testing, target feedback, etc.) of the 390 should be starting somewhere around the same time as the 690 launch - i.e. Sepetmber-October.

I have never heard the 2014 launch bit till now. Hope there is no truth in it.
Old 17th August 2012, 16:18   #20
BHPian

Well Indian biking is coming of age- "Kudos to Bajaj". Bajaj is soon to be christened the aspirational brand as far as biking is considered. It's high time Hero and TVS come out of their shell and redefine their strategy as far as premium biking is conidered. Road Infrastructure is improving with high speed highways and flyovers. Bikers also need some good machines to ride safe with high speed cars. Adding further, Company having good high end models will also sell their low end commuters- BRAND VALUE

Going off topic but I will feel sorry and will feel more for Hero. I could remember in my school days when Splendor was introduced. Advertising campaign where bike is racing on mountains portrayed the bike as ultimate machine. CD was a commuter and Splendor was a performance bike . 12 years and the thought look so dated as 7.8 BHP is not even considered good for commuting, forget about performance. Then we had iconic CBZ, race machine- "Unsafe for new rider" and finally KARIZMA- India's first sports bike. I could remember Mr. Munjal claiming that they will introduced a new bike every year but what was the result- Splendor NXG, Splendor Pro, Splendor Pro+, Passion, Passion Pro and all the others you can think about. Company wanted to make every product for the masses that they forgot about the engine MASS.

Regards,
Maddy
Old 17th August 2012, 17:52   #21
Team-BHP Support

From what I heard (internet rumor of-course). The Duke 350 will take some time & the 690 shall hit our shores earlier.

That price makes my mouth water.

@ebonho - Doc, is it the 350 or the 390?
Old 17th August 2012, 18:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
From what I heard (internet rumor of-course). The Duke 350 will take some time & the 690 shall hit our shores earlier.

Doc says that the rumoured 350 will be a 375cc machine, but will be badged as 390. I have no tip on that one.

Though both Doc and I are looking forward to that machine. And BTW, if true, I like the Duke 390 badging
Old 17th August 2012, 20:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

The 690 news sounds pretty much true. A friend here had some of the engineers and marketing people come over from Ktm. Regarding his feedback from his travels to the neighbouring countries on his 200. They have confirmed the 690 duke even though we have been asking for an off-road bike. Hope they do launch a worthy off-road bike soon.
Old 17th August 2012, 20:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
The 690 news sounds pretty much true. A friend here had some of the engineers and marketing people come over from Ktm. Regarding his feedback from his travels to the neighbouring countries on his 200. They have confirmed the 690 duke even though we have been asking for an off-road bike. Hope they do launch a worthy off-road bike soon.
With all due respect, I don't think there is much demand for off road bikes in India. You may be one of the worthy exceptions. Look at the recently launched 'Hero Impulse'. Even though its a 'common man' bike (compared to the semi-premium image of KTM)

Bajaj, with the KTM brand, is looking at the sensible-premium bikes. By that I mean premium bikes, which have a clear market potential to generate decent volumes.

We're all waiting buddy
Old 17th August 2012, 20:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

With the impulse hero made a blunder of giving a 150 cc engine. For once if a decent sized engine is launched, something like a 300 to 450 cc bike, there will be a decent market. You cannot compare it to a bread and butter 150 to 200cc market but still we should have decent numbers. Another issue with the Indian market is that we are too obsessed with bikes that have fairings. Hahaha. Call it dhoom effect. What people are really missing out is the fun on off-road bikes. It is because we were never exposed to such bikes ever. I'm tell you I was a proper sport bike fan. I loved my 12. But now that I got my GS I am loving it. All the off-road rides are just too much fun. Trying to control a bike without any grip on gravel and slush is the ultimate high and it makes you a better rider too. I am discovering new things about my own ability every time I go off-road. Now I want a lighter bike which I can afford to drop and which doesn't have expensive bits like cylinders hanging out on both sides. Hahahaha.
Old 17th August 2012, 21:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Any idea about colour options offered in international market? I did not like white & orange combination.
Old 18th August 2012, 10:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Quote:
Doc says that the rumoured 350 will be a 375cc machine, but will be badged as 390. I have no tip on that one.

Though both Doc and I are looking forward to that machine. And BTW, if true, I like the Duke 390 badging
40-50 bhp is bike enough for what I want to use it for. Priced sensibly and with decent gas mileage / tank range. So its a fine balance. The 390 may still give you 25-30kmpl - the 690 from all reports gives 20-25 kmpl which is still very decent (it pips the N650 on mileage - something most international testers talk about - cause its not what is expected given the manic nature of the bike).

Yes, from what I hear, its going to badged as the 390 (in tune with their 690 badging, its going to actually be a 375, as the 690 is actually a 675 annd change).

Quote:
Quote:
With all due respect, I don't think there is much demand for off road bikes in India. You may be one of the worthy exceptions. Look at the recently launched 'Hero Impulse'. Even though its a 'common man' bike (compared to the semi-premium image of KTM)

Bajaj, with the KTM brand, is looking at the sensible-premium bikes. By that I mean premium bikes, which have a clear market potential to generate decent volumes.

We're all waiting buddy
Quote:
With the impulse hero made a blunder of giving a 150 cc engine. For once if a decent sized engine is launched, something like a 300 to 450 cc bike, there will be a decent market. You cannot compare it to a bread and butter 150 to 200cc market but still we should have decent numbers. Another issue with the Indian market is that we are too obsessed with bikes that have fairings. Hahaha. Call it dhoom effect. What people are really missing out is the fun on off-road bikes. It is because we were never exposed to such bikes ever. I'm tell you I was a proper sport bike fan. I loved my 12. But now that I got my GS I am loving it. All the off-road rides are just too much fun. Trying to control a bike without any grip on gravel and slush is the ultimate high and it makes you a better rider too. I am discovering new things about my own ability every time I go off-road. Now I want a lighter bike which I can afford to drop and which doesn't have expensive bits like cylinders hanging out on both sides. Hahahaha.
Both of you are correct in a way. The market for street bikes is always going to be far bigger than the niche focused of-road market. The 690 SM would be personally my dream machine. My biker buddy in Australia is probably going to be pickng one up soon. But yes, what is slated for the immediate launch is the 690 Duke.

However, Navrpreet, don't get your hopes down just yet. The configuration of the 390 is a closely guarded secret. No one, but NO ONE, from the top echelons of Bajaj confirms its a Duke platform. Their eyes always mist up, a half smile appears, and they start looking elsewhere, and become very vague. Not so for the 690. So yes, the 390 may well be "different" and is still around a year away.

Then of course, there are the stories doing the rounds over a year of the Honda CRF250. Just the kind of bike you want, but looking at both our individual sizes, slightly anemic on the engine front. A good 400-450 would be just the ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Any idea about colour options offered in international market? I did not like white & orange combination.
Internationally, its either black and decals or white and decals. No idea what we will get. Personally, I love the predominantly white one with black accents.
Old 18th August 2012, 12:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
40-50 bhp is bike enough for what I want to use it for. Priced sensibly and with decent gas mileage / tank range. So its a fine balance. The 390 may still give you 25-30kmpl - the 690 from all reports gives 20-25 kmpl which is still very decent (it pips the N650 on mileage - something most international testers talk about - cause its not what is expected given the manic nature of the bike).

Yes, from what I hear, its going to badged as the 390 (in tune with their 690 badging, its going to actually be a 375, as the 690 is actually a 675 annd change).

Do you think (going by KTM's track record) that a 375cc machine will generate close to 50 bhp? (no pun intended; just a question). Personally, anything above 40 bhp will do it for me. Anything less than that will be disappointing. Quick acceleration and ability to easily reach 150 (with the ability to go some way higher; a bike that doesn't struggle at 150) is all I crave about.

Do you have any clues suggesting the 375 may be 'different' bike (I read 'off roader'/'tourer' type bike)? Coz I firmly expect it to be a Duke. However, Stefan Pierrer, at the time of Duke launch said that they will be coming up will a fully faired version pretty soon too. The snag with that is that KTM plans to use the very same 'fully faired' bike for racing and thus it cannot exceed the stipulated 250 cc limit.
Old 18th August 2012, 13:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you think (going by KTM's track record) that a 375cc machine will generate close to 50 bhp? (no pun intended; just a question). Personally, anything above 40 bhp will do it for me. Anything less than that will be disappointing. Quick acceleration and ability to easily reach 150 (with the ability to go some way higher; a bike that doesn't struggle at 150) is all I crave about.
The 125 does 15 bhp, the 200 does 26, the 690 does 72. Considering that anything between 40 to 50 is a very realistic expectation.

The KTM 350 EXC-F pushes 45+ bhp in full dirt trim. Street bikes will be tuned for power higher up.

That is a LOT of power from a sub 400 cc single.

To put things in perspective, all the really popular big bore single pot Jap thumpers (the KLR 650, the DR 650, and the XR 650) just develop around 37 to 42 bhp - with nearly 300 more cubes!

Quote:
Do you have any clues suggesting the 375 may be 'different' bike (I read 'off roader'/'tourer' type bike)? Coz I firmly expect it to be a Duke. However, Stefan Pierrer, at the time of Duke launch said that they will be coming up will a fully faired version pretty soon too. The snag with that is that KTM plans to use the very same 'fully faired' bike for racing and thus it cannot exceed the stipulated 250 cc limit.
Absolutely no idea bro. Your guess is as good as mine or anyone else who is not connected within Bajaj and KTM at the moment. A couple of months later, we will know much more.

I am just praying its not got a lot of cladding and fiber all around man. Naked and raw it should be - with just the option of putting on a factory spec after market touring windshield. That's all. Even the micro mini bikini spoiler on the Duke 200 is beautifully designed functionally.

And while we are at wish lists, add bungee friendly grab rails and spoked wheels to the list. And at least a 16-18 liter tank.

Last edited by ebonho : 18th August 2012 at 13:39.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 13:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 125 does 15 bhp, the 200 does 26, the 690 does 72. Considering that anything between 40 to 50 is a very realistic expectation.
That and around 30 Nm torque (the 690 has apparently 70 Nm so I suppose this will have around 30 atleast) Will simply blow away anything in the price range of around 2 lakhs. Lot of power for size and price.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks