Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2023, 22:38   #1

My Pre-Owned Jaguar XKR V8

Hi folks!

I am sorry for posting this a little late as I got the car 2 and a half months back itself. It's been busy for me at the work front.

Well here's the story. I went to Mumbai on 15th Apr as planned and went straight to my friends office where he had brought the car.

My Pre-Owned Jaguar XKR V8-office-2.jpg

My Pre-Owned Jaguar XKR V8-office.jpg

After grabbing a quick lunch with my friend and reminiscing old times at school we headed for what I was waiting for. The Drive.

My Pre-Owned Jaguar XKR V8-office-3.jpg

As I got into the drivers seat, I was a bit nervous. But nothing could prepare me for the amount of adrenaline rush I got when I floored her. The acceleration was relentless, shoving me back with immense G forces. I had never driven anything like her before.
The handling was perfect, the steering weighing in as it should be and the Pirelli P Zeros holding on to the road like a leech.

I knew then and there that I HAVE TO HAVE HER. AND I WILL NEVER LET GO OF HER. I WILL MAINTAIN HER EVEN IF I HAVE TO SELL MY HOUSE, I WILL LEAVE HER FOR MY DAUGHTER IN MY WILL. (Such were my thoughts).

The car pulls and pulls and pulls, tugs at your heart strings and makes you come alive. That's the power of a V8 with a super charger, 500 horses always raring to go with a push of your right foot.
I thought this was the best sounding V8 I had heard in real life.
I have been big time into video games, be it Atari, Game Boy, PS3, PS4, now PS5 with the latest game being Mad Max. I was subconsciously comparing the sound of Max's Interceptor (V8) with this Jaguar V8 and boy I was absolutely spell bound. It was the most exciting drive of my life.
After the drive we popped the hood and there it was. The supercharged Jaguar V8.

My Pre-Owned Jaguar XKR V8-engine-bay.jpg

As advised by Turbanator, Jeroen, androdev, I got the folks at Navnit Jaguar to do a full check up of the vehicle.
Before embarking on my journey I had made a full discussion with them about the car as it had been regularly coming to them for service and routine maintenance.
A full paid check up was done, which took 2 days (including the work required and change of oils plus routine service).
My friend provided me with a full service history along with the work he had got done over his ownership period.

The Findings:
By Owner:
  • One incident of rims being bent and being replaced along with sagging of the alcantara roof liner, replaced at Jaguar itself. Rear suspension work done.
By Navnit Jaguar Mumbai:
  • ODO 18500 kms
  • Regularly serviced.
  • Battery 5 years old - replaced.
  • Suspension rear - no work required.
  • Front - upper control arm bush needs changing - pending arrival.
  • Wiper blades changed.
  • Vacuum Pump oil leak - changed the seal.
  • Supercharger serpentine belt changed (recommended at 10 years by Jaguar).
  • Belt drive changed (also recommended).
  • Engine oil changed.
  • Particulate air filter changed.
  • Antifreeze changed.
  • Rear Diff oil changed.
  • Transmission mount changed.
  • Air & oil filters changed.
The checkup did not reveal anything which would deter me from getting her.

Some pics while at Navnit Jaguar:

My Pre-Owned Jaguar XKR V8-img20230428wa0037.jpg

My Pre-Owned Jaguar XKR V8-img20230428wa0038.jpg

My Pre-Owned Jaguar XKR V8-img20230428wa0039.jpg

Post maintenance:
My Pre-Owned Jaguar XKR V8-post-maint.jpg

Post all this my friend offered to drive the car to Lucknow.
I was slightly worried owing to the low ground clearance (120 mm) and the long distance.

A flat bed covered carrier was booked and the matter was done and dusted.

@Jeroen. Sir, you gave me the best advice about joining the Jaguar forum. I had joined them and learned a lot about the Jaguar XKR.

Points - earlier generations (before 2011) were having 3 main issues:
  • Timing chain tensioners.
  • Water pump failures.
  • Thermostat wear & tear causing it to be stuck in open or closed position.
All of these occur after a certain age of the vehicle.
  • There is a coolant pipe that runs through the valley of the V8 that eventually gets cooked up after 10 years and needs to be replaced.
  • The AC drain-tube at the passenger side can get clogged and is a difficult place to reach.
Most of these problems have been reported less after 2011 models as the niggles were corrected by Jaguar.

@Turbantor. You are absolutely right about JLR, there is a definite element of unreliability that is part n parcel of Jaguar ownership.

The Jaguar forum showed me all that is to Jaguar ownership, the passion, the niggles.

This became my weekend car, or hobby car. I have the Endeavour 2017, and the i10 AT 2011 as my beater cars.

I know its gonna be an interesting ownership.
In these 2 months of ownership, I've driven her every alternate day and boy she does make my boyhood come back. The sound of the V8 coupled with the addicting acceleration makes every drive a special one.

One omission by Jaguar on the XKR that hurts the most is the absence of a temperature gauge.
I got myself an OBD Scan Gauge after advice from the Jag forum members. It monitors the battery voltage and the coolant temperature because these cars do run hot at almost 195 to 212 F. That's their normal operating temperature.

Coolant has to be checked religiously every week for she's an old girl and might throw a temper.

Am prepared to change suspension bushings/parts, coolant pipes, thermostat, water pump as and when the need will arise.

Some pics from when she reached home:

My Pre-Owned Jaguar XKR V8-home.jpg

My Pre-Owned Jaguar XKR V8-home2.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 6th July 2023 at 03:54. Reason: Spacing, grammar, typos fixed. Random upper/lowercase fixed. Pictures spaced.
tin lizzie is offline   (128) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 6th July 2023, 01:38   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2011 Jaguar XKR

Congratulations Tin Lizzie. Here is a pic of your car from 2019.

My Pre-Owned Jaguar XKR V8-1639823976243.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 6th July 2023 at 02:29. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
v12 is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 08:13   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Pre-Owned Jaguar XKR V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin lizzie View Post
The car pulls and pulls and pulls, tugs at your heart strings and makes you come alive. That's the power of a V8 with a super charger, 500 horses always raring to go with a push of your right foot.
Big congrats on a beast of a car, Tin Lizzie! Moving your post to a new thread. Going to our homepage today .
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 09:05   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolute gorgeous car! Supercharged V8 rules!

Enjoy

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 10:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
As I got into the drivers seat, I was a bit nervous. But nothing could prepare me for the amount of adrenaline rush I got when I floored her.
Congratulations on the XKR tin_lizzie.

It looks like the rumors of Jaguar's almost mythical feeling Gen 3 AJ-V8 5.0L were true after all.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th July 2023 at 01:22. Reason: Quote trimmed.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 11:11   #6
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride! Its so great to see such cars being bought by individuals who actually use them as opposed to parking them for a collection! So look forward to read the rest of your ownership story so please do keep this thread updated. And wish you many many years and miles with the beast
mrpitt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 11:13   #7
BHPian

Many congratulations on the beast and wishing you happy troublefree miles ahead.
I got a chance to drive this car long back in 2013 and the acceleration feel was no less than being launched from a catapult
123.rishabh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 11:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Big congrats on a beast of a car, Tin Lizzie! Moving your post to a new thread. Going to our homepage today .
Thanks GTO!

It all started with Mad Max, the game on PS4, the sound of the V8 and the quest for building the Magnum Opus (the name of the car in the game). Me and my daughter play it together. I had only two requirements. A thumping V8 and good looks. The search started and ended with the first person I talked to, my school batch mate and friend.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th July 2023 at 05:55. Reason: Edited for better readability
tin lizzie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 12:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.rishabh View Post
Many congratulations on the beast and wishing you happy troublefree miles ahead.
I got a chance to drive this car long back in 2013 and the acceleration feel was no less than being launched from a catapult
Thanks Rishabh!

Very aptly described.

She is the devil incarnate .

She can easily kill you , this car , if you are not carefull.
tin lizzie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 14:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpitt View Post
Congratulations on your new ride! Its so great to see such cars being bought by individuals who actually use them as opposed to parking them for a collection! So look forward to read the rest of your ownership story so please do keep this thread updated. And wish you many many years and miles with the beast
Thanks Mrpitt! GTO's remark that "these cars should not be garage queens" keeps ringing in. My ears plus this car beckons to drive her, to push her. Thank god I am in my middle age, for I can exercise self control and self preservation while I drive her! I will keep updating this thread as and when new developments happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Absolute gorgeous car! Supercharged V8 rules!

Enjoy

Jeroen
I revere you, sir!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Congratulations Tin Lizzie. Here is a pic of your car from 2019.

Attachment 2472284
She is a looker ain't she

Thanks v12!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th July 2023 at 15:01. Reason: Formatting + clubbing sentences to paras + spaces before punctuations aren't required.
tin lizzie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 15:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

What a gorgeous car in such a beautiful shade of Claret!
Well done!
This colour always makes me think of Inspector Morse and his lovely Mark 2 Jag.
And there is one neighbour of mine who has an XE in the same shade.
It must be a totally different feeling to own a big bad supercharged Jag! The ultimate getaway car if you will!
You can take a leaf from J Clarkson, Esq’s book and say,
‘Scuse me a moment, I ve got to get something from my Jaaaag!’

Oh Man! You’ve got a Jaaag! Im terribly envious!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th July 2023 at 15:42.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 16:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I knew then and there that I HAVE TO HAVE HER. AND I WILL NEVER LET GO OF HER. I WILL MAINTAIN HER EVEN IF I HAVE TO SELL MY HOUSE, I WILL LEAVE HER FOR MY DAUGHTER IN MY WILL. (Such were my thoughts).

Congrats on the purchase!
I can completely understand that feeling. I experienced the same when I bought my E55 AMG back in 2016. The supercharger whine is the element that drives our adrenaline and keeps us pushing it. Always be cautious and take care as the RWD loves to spin. My ex-boss had one a long time ago, and I used to gaze at it since it's a rare car, and it still is to this day.

Unfortunately, my E55 was totalled in 2018 when an intoxicated guy decided to run a red light. I had a custom straight pipe exhaust with an x-pipe, making it the loudest car I had heard in a long time. For an extra punch, I would recommend an x-pipe with the mufflers intact if nothing has been done to it so far.
hAwX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 16:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This colour always makes me think of Inspector Morse and his lovely Mark 2 Jag.
!
I've got a supercharged V8!, I've got a supercharged V8 that too a Jaaag!

such thoughts do come off n on.

I must compliment you on identifying the colour correctly, Jaguar has been offering different kinds of Red over the years, varying them with Model year & model. There's Claret, Italian racing Red, Salsa Red, Radiance, Red, Carnelian Red, and Caviar (considered a red that year).

The Inspector Morse car was truly an icon. It was Burgundy, I suppose, although many call it Red.

Lastly, who can forget the Jeremy Clarkson interview, he is a class act.

Thanks, Shankar!

Mod Note - Please proofread before posting. Do not post in Caps.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th July 2023 at 18:47. Reason: Grammar, Caps, Spell.
tin lizzie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 18:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The INSPECTOR MORSE car was truely an icon .It was BURGUNDY I suppose
altough many call it RED.
The Mark2 used by Morse looked like Burgundy but Uncle Wiki says Regency Red.
These Jaaags! wear such lovely colours with such inimitable panache.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 18:39   #15
A.K
Senior - BHPian

So cool to see the otherwise overlooked XKR get so much love on the forum, especially from the veterans! I, for one, have been a long time XKR fan, especially in the looney XK R-S guise. tin_lizzie, big congrats on the purchase! More than the car itself, it is your enthusiasm for it that amuses me which is widely evident on your post responses. I have had the good fortune of being in and out of an XKR here in Bangalore that belongs to a dear friend, the character of this car is palpable and it sounds lovely. Enjoy her in good health!
A.K is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks