Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Super sedan / SUV over a 2-door sports car?
Yes 285 68.18%
No 133 31.82%
Voters: 418. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2019, 09:41   #16
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Would you buy a performance sedan / SUV over a 2-door sports car?

I have voted NO. As much as I love the practicality offered by a sports sedan, if I ever have enough resources to be in such a dilemma I will still opt for a 2-door sportscar.

However, my choice of wheels won't be an outright trackday car like a 488 Pista or a GT2 RS. I would instead prefer something which is more driveable, something that can double up as a grand tourer as well.

How I wish to own a mid-engined Ferrari, but given a chance I would probably opt for a RWD front-engined V12 instead. Ferrari 812SF, maybe !
Old 16th October 2019, 09:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Unless I have access to track fairly easily I would not buy a sports car. If you are using it in mainly in City and occasional highway run, a quick sports car with tight handle is of no use. Talk about looks/road presence, I would drive black LandCruiser or a open top Wrangler for street creds. Heck even a modded Thar would do.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 09:54   #18
BHPian

Voted for Super SUV!
If we had good roads and road safety situation in our country, my choice would always have been a two door sports car. But given our road, traffic, road safety conditions, i will stick to great handling performance SUVs like Macan, Cayenne, etc. My first high performance car in India will most probably be Porsche Macan S/Turbo. It is fast, a sharp handler, right size and it can be taken on any roads in India with great fun to drive element, comfort, luxury at the same time. Basically, i dont like my driving/riding machines to get severely restricted due to poor road/traffic conditions, instead I like to take them on long road trips where they can be used for what they are designed to do (for example, I have done 24k kms on my 2016 ZX14R so far). If i have the budget and will for the second high performance car, only then i will buy a two door sports car in India.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 16th October 2019 at 09:56.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 10:33   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Ideally, many of us here would like to own both. But, if you ask me to choose between these two, well, it would depend on my purpose.

If the next car I buy is intended just for 'FUN', its anyday the 2 door sports car. But, if the next car I need should also double up for on-road regular use, with no scope of a 'FUN' only car in the near future, then its the Sedan/SUV.

Last edited by dhanushs : 16th October 2019 at 10:41.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 10:37   #20
BHPian

Voted No
Am assuming here that I would be rich enough to pay for maintenance/service/repair costs as well as the huge fines i will attract if i drove the 2 door sports car , and then who cares about the roads i will let it rip on the mumbai-pune expressway which is pretty close to me and then keep paying the fines until one day I will lose my license and then i will realize I was just dreaming and get back to my Etios Liva GD to office and back
Old 16th October 2019, 11:03   #21
BHPian

I voted "Yes", to performance sedan/SUV over a 2-door sports car.

Reason, is heart vs mind.

Heart says, nothing can match the handling of a 2-door sports car, the mind bombards multiple questions.

Can you really afford to have 2 cars, one for you and another for the family?

What about parking space?

What about maintenance, what about insurance of 2 cars?

What if you don't get time to take the sports car out for a spin?

If you have to please both heart & the mind and of course the family, then "Performance Sedan/SUV" is the answer for enthusiast within the common man.
Old 16th October 2019, 11:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

It's gonna be a no from me, dawg.

All else being equal, the man-child in me would always pick the 2 door sports car over a sedan, and always over an SUV. Don't get me wrong, I get the lure of a sedan and/or an SUV in the garage, and wouldn't forego having a four door sedan to fall back on. But I honestly would love to have a 2 door as my next ride to accompany. There's something just perfect about its dimensions, and the way it looks. It feels right, and it plucks the heart strings just so. There's a good reason that most of the cars that evoke a sense of passion within us are shorn of two doors; less really is more sometimes.
Old 16th October 2019, 12:42   #23
BHPian

Where are the roads for a proper 2 door sports car in our country? If I ever buy something like that, I would be constantly worried about that awkward speed breaker or a pothole rather than enjoying the ride until and unless I'm driving in a track. Whereas, super sedan will give me the best of both worlds.
Old 16th October 2019, 12:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

When I look at my 5 dream car garage all it has are super sedans and 2 door sports cars. I would never buy an SUV though.

I am all about performance and handling so these are the perfect cars
Old 16th October 2019, 13:16   #25
BHPian

Two-door supercars are built for the track PERIOD. Sure you can drive them on the road but that's not what they are made for. For example, a single-engine propeller plane is made to fly. Sure you can drive it on the pavement/road but that's not what it's made for! What's next? Taking an Audi R8 offroad cause it has quattro?

When driving a supercar on the road, sure it looks cool but what about when you come across speed breakers, suspension destroying potholes, traffic jams, extreme weather causing overheating and the risk of being scratched around every corner. Sedans and SUV's are much more practical to live with in real life, can accommodate a family and benefit from the fact that they are cheaper to maintain than actual supercars, all while getting a similar engine.

80% of the supercar owners in India have barely used the full potential of their cars. How many times is a supercar owner actually taken his car on track? Compared to how many times has a supercar owner driven his car on the road with the fear of what I mentioned above? Exactly.

My answer is clear (IMO):
For full time Track: Supercar
For full time Road & part time Track: Super Sedan/Super SUV
For full time Road, part time Track and part time Off-Road: Super SUV

Last edited by Starfire : 16th October 2019 at 13:18.
Old 16th October 2019, 14:26   #26
BHPian

Voted for the sedans assuming I am forced to pick only one. The practicality aspect, especially in India, has to be considered. Just imagined myself owning a sports car, how far I would be able to take it before scrapping its belly in a pothole or on an idiotic speed breaker? Can I park in public place without worrying about someone vandalizing it?
Besides, I am too private a person to attract the ogling a sports car attracts.

In Europe or states, maybe I go for the sports car owing to a better infrastructure; In an ideal world, I would own them both. But, as they say, ideal state doesn't exist!
Old 16th October 2019, 15:41   #27
BANNED

A two-door car won't be able to c(r)ater to the needs of people driving in India. It will leave the owner so stressed that he will eventually suffer health issues because to that. To cringe at every speedbreaker, to fear every form of vandalism, to be left peering into the underbelly of the trucks, to be fumigated every time one rolls down one's window and to suffer palpitations at every other jalopy. I will never touch a low-slung two-door coupe in India. These thoughts only left me wanting to upgrade to the Unimog, which I wish to buy one day.

Yes, there is a possibility that one's situation will be more conducive to using a two door car by the time one is able to afford it.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 16th October 2019 at 15:57.
Old 16th October 2019, 15:42   #28
BHPian

Well, it boils down to a Sports Car (2 door) vs. a Fast Car (Sedan). I would go for the Sports Car. After all, if you are traveling with family would you want to go fast? Probably not. So in a fast sedan with more than 300HP on tap would you use it? Unlikely.

For the thrill of fast driving & sharp handling, a 2 door sports car it has to be. My go to car apart from the Porsche 911, would be, the BMW 1 Series M Coupe. It has been hailed in many reviews as the ultimate BMW driver's car. Sadly discontinued now.

Would you buy a performance sedan / SUV over a 2-door sports car?-lead22011bmw1seriesmcoupe.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 16th October 2019 at 17:16. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 16th October 2019, 18:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Voted for a fast sedan. Obviously more viable than sports cars in India for most reasons given above already. Some options I'd consider if I had the money and the time- Skoda Octavia VRS, VW GTi (not a sedan), Vento TSi, Polo GT TDi (not a sedan), Passat/Superb. Before you call me out saying these cars really aren't Audi's and Mercs, I feel they are more practical- minus the Passat/Superb, maybe.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 16th October 2019 at 18:06.
Old 16th October 2019, 18:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Votes Yes. Simply for the fact that in India it is simply not possible to own a low slung 2 door sportscar and use it as a daily driver. It is an attention magnet like nothing else. I cannot park it anywhere on the road and go shopping or use it to run errands. I cannot fly under the radar whenever I am out on the road. I will be constantly looking out for potholes and speed breakers while at least in the city and sometimes on the highways too.

All the above mentioned things can be done relatively easily if I have a Super sedan/SUV. All these things change the moment I shift my base outside India. Then it has to be a Sportscar. Heck if I am staying in Europe,USA etc I can even use something like a Bugatti as a daily driver.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks