Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2012, 22:42   #61
BHPian

Re: Gautam Singhania's E46 Drifter!

This video is of Mr. Singhania at the Malta Drift Championship. It is called " KISSING the WALL ". While drifting if you come and skim the wall, you get maximum points as it is extremely difficult to do so. In the video you can even see the advertising banners being ripped off, when the car was " Kissing the Wall ".In fact, on the first day,Mr. Singhania was the only driver to do so.
dominator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 20:44   #62
BHPian

More pictures of the E46 during the build and shake down.
Attached Thumbnails
Gautam Singhania's E46 Drifter!-img2012101800880.jpg  

Gautam Singhania's E46 Drifter!-img2012101900909.jpg  

Gautam Singhania's E46 Drifter!-img2012101900911.jpg  

Gautam Singhania's E46 Drifter!-img2012101900915.jpg  

dominator is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 23:40   #63
BHPian

Clap Clap. Staright out of the famous game series. Hats off again for this insane build.
Old 23rd October 2012, 14:05   #64
Team-BHP Support

Adding some more details that might have been left out. Taken from this blog:

Quote:
Engine
  • LS3 Corvette engine
  • Edelbrock supercharger
  • Individual cooling system for engine, oil, fuel and supercharger
  • Individual exhaust, full lenght with Magnaflow tailpipes
  • Electrical power steering
  • VEMS engine control
  • Sports fuel cell from ATL
  • Individual fuel system.

Suspension
  • Wisefab E46 angle kit in front
  • Regulated back lower control arms from Wisefab
  • Coilovers
  • Team Dynamics Race lightweight alloys

Body
  • Fiberglass panels for body, HGK

Interior
  • Safety roll age
  • Rebuilt instrument cluster
  • Hydraulic handbrake
  • Sport seats
  • Sport safety belts
  • Sport steering wheel
  • Audio unit

The car was tested at 640 bhp and 950 Nm of torque!

Gautam Singhania's E46 Drifter!-img_0039.jpg

Gautam Singhania's E46 Drifter!-img_0012.jpg

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 20:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

Superb job, Only GS can get this done, What Passion, Hats off to This young Man, He is the real live life to the fullest!! Work hard play hard. He shall make us proud!
Somehow the angle of the engine seems to possibly create a quick wearing of the universal joint on the cardan/drive shaft to the rear diff.
Old 24th October 2012, 21:56   #66
BANNED

Generally, how expensive would a project like this cost? I am guessing the engine alone is 10-15 lakhs?
Old 24th October 2012, 22:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

Should be close to 1 Cr INR landing with base car, engine, supercharger, other parts, tuning, labour in international currencies, fright, shipping, customs, testing, test support....
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 23:46   #68
Team-BHP Support

^^ That's not a bad price to pay, considering that you get a Boxster for the same amount today. Apples and oranges, I know!

An in-line six-packer would have made this car that much more special. But a LS3 Corvette engine in an E46 chassis can never be a bad thing! I wonder what stopped GS from going the whole hog and plonking in a LS7 / LS9 crate-engine since the rest of the components are new too? Gearbox limitations perhaps? What's the 'box in this thing?

But then again, I'm a mere mortal and my opinion doesn't matter anyway.

suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 10:32   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
^^ That's not a bad price to pay, considering that you get a Boxster for the same amount today. Apples and oranges, I know!

An in-line six-packer would have made this car that much more special. But a LS3 Corvette engine in an E46 chassis can never be a bad thing! I wonder what stopped GS from going the whole hog and plonking in a LS7 / LS9 crate-engine since the rest of the components are new too? Gearbox limitations perhaps? What's the 'box in this thing?

But then again, I'm a mere mortal and my opinion doesn't matter anyway.

I was never a fan of the American car manufacturers getting into drifting in the first place. But the current drift scene has a quite a few of these big American heavy bruisers now (by Ford, GM, Chevy etc). Maybe the Jap's should consider entering NASCAR!!

One can never go wrong with an ALL Japanese package (with an Nissan RB26 motor off course) - Which in my opinion is one of the best High revving straight 6's ever made! - But he's got that in his Drag Spec Skyline already!!

Quoting Suhaas again - "But then again, I'm a mere mortal and my opinion doesn't matter anyway."

Having said this - This package seems to be the best of both worlds! Would be a delight to see this shift sideways!!

Last edited by R32_GTR : 25th October 2012 at 10:34. Reason: added text
Old 4th November 2012, 21:09   #70
BHPian

GS did some amazing hard runs and put the machine to its fullest test. A small mishap of a loose gravel striking the under belly is being rectified. The car should be back on track, next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Gautam Singhania's E46 Drifter!-tr.jpg  

Gautam Singhania's E46 Drifter!-int.jpg  

Gautam Singhania's E46 Drifter!-int1.jpg  

dominator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 22:21   #71
BHPian

Instrument glowing at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Gautam Singhania's E46 Drifter!-d.jpg  

Gautam Singhania's E46 Drifter!-d1.jpg  

dominator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 13:41   #72
BHPian

Those are some crazy specs. 640 BHP and 950NM!!!

Waiting to see some videos of this bad boy doing its thing!!!
Old 19th November 2012, 20:02   #73
BHPian

This summer, I decided to try my hand at drifting, and I managed to do 2-3 days of testing for the same, in the UK. Since I was enjoying it, I wanted to get to the next level. When I spoke to my friends in the UK, they recommended that I come to Malta, and try and do an event. This would be the best way to get some seat time and experience. This would also help me brush up my skills. Hence we decided to go to Malta for the All Star Drift Championship and participate in the amateur category.

The objective of going for this, was to have some fun and try and get some “seat time”. When we got there on the Thursday, our car had arrived. It was the Nissan Silvia S13 with 450 bhp. Unfortunately, the car came in a very dilapidated condition, as the transporters had wrecked it in transport. They had smashed it from the rear and the exhaust was pushed through and damaged the exhaust manifold. So much was the damage that it also broke the windscreen. However, we decided to ‘fix it’ and make a go on the practice. This was the first time I was drifting with concrete barriers on the sides, and the implications of any mistake would have been horrendous. It would have meant an end to the long weekend.

We went out for the first test session and just caught a chance to get used to the car. The next day when I went out for practice, I had a spin and i smashed the car into the wall. It was a small mistake, and I paid for it. It was more grip than expected, but however, when we came back to the pit, we did a cut and paste job and got the car back up and running. Wheel alignment was done with a “crowbar” to an approximate idea of where it should be. Amazing but it worked !!!!

Subsequently we went out for the practice session, and at every practice sessions I had two spins. It was very demoralizing. It was difficult to keep the car on the road, especially with the surface change between wet and dry, and the continuous change of rubber between new and old. We had one more practice session which unfortunately got cancelled, and we were suddenly thrown into the mind set of having to qualify.

At this point I just had to put my head down and focus, and put behind all the negativity of practice where we were continuously crashing.

We had 3 laps to qualify and I went out to qualify with a mindset to do 1 proper lap. Fortunately when I did the first lap, I got a good base lap and I knew I would at least qualify. In lap 2, I pushed it, and to my surprise I was kissing the far wall for 40 m. It was the best feeling ever to be drifting , while the back of the car was continuously touching the back wall. Needless to say, I qualified first with 88 points, and a huge amount of respect with judges, for being the only person to kiss the wall that whole day. This was done between the amateurs and the pros.

Next day were the finals and needless to say, I was a bit tensed, as it was my first championship. Obviously a good result would give me a great amount of confidence.

I went out to the finals with the same mind set, to do one strong base lap, and then build about that. I got 3 fantastic runs with lot of smoke and at the end of the day, it was a hotly fought competition. The Sicilian competitor who had been drifting for years and was the local champion, put in an extremely hot lap. The next couple of hours were a tense wait and watch to see where we finished.

Later that evening the results were announced, and I am happy to say that we finished in P1. I was extremely elated, that on my first outing, I had qualified P1 and finished P1. It was a huge day for us, and I am sure as Indians we should all be proud of the same.

In addition to this, due to our performance, I was given an All Stars Pro Drifting license. I can proudly say, I am now the only Indian that has received pro drift license in this sport.

The first experience was amazing. My challenge is now to build on my skills and try and do the pro category next year. I shall give it my best shot and try and bring some recognition for this sport in India. Will keep you guys posted.

If any of u have questions, please tweet me at singhaniagautam, and I will be happy to answer. Video to follow shortly.
Super Car Club is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:01   #74
BHPian

Here is a video of GHS having some sideways fun near his factory.

Nice track lay-out

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Taronish_E is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:11   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taronish_E View Post
Here is a video of GHS having some sideways fun near his factory.

Nice track lay-out

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Nice spotting. Good to know you mix business with pleasure. The track is due to witness some more hard core driving. Keep posting Taronish_E.
dominator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks