Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2012, 16:01   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
could any one please post pics of the other vehicles at the dc stall?
There was one other vehicle (yellow Thar?) - but this is all i got :

The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-dsc_4395.jpg

The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-sam_0423.jpg

The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-sam_0425.jpg

The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-sam_0426.jpg

And a stock picture of the Avanti
The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-img_7771.jpg

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 16:12   #32
BHPian

re: The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!

I agree that the front end seems to be heavily 'inspired' from the 458 Italia, but the overall silhouette seems to be a rehash of the Ford GT90. Anyone else see it?
Old 8th January 2012, 16:35   #33
Team-BHP Support

It's apparent that the blue SUV is a Fortuner.

What's even more apparent is that the front-end has been heavily inspired by the Maserati Kubang + GranTurismo MC Stradale, and even Aston Martins to an extent (look at the front of a one-77 and then look at this)

However, even Maserati weren't successful by trying to slap-on that guppy-fish mouthed front-end on an SUV.

The Kubang is not a good looking car, but when you compare it to this Fortuner, it looks like a bikini-model!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th January 2012 at 16:37.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 16:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It's apparent that the blue SUV is a Fortuner.

What's even more apparent is that the front-end has been heavily inspired by the Maserati Kubang + GranTurismo MC Stradale, and even Aston Martins to an extent (look at the front of a one-77 and then look at this)

However, even Maserati weren't successful by trying to slap-on that guppy-fish mouthed front-end on an SUV.

The Kubang is not a good looking car, but when you compare it to this Fortuner, it looks like a bikini-model!
Add the Jaguar XK to the list of cars this creation's front has been inspired by! The whole gaping grill and drooping headlight look makes this the saddest Fortuner in the world!
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 18:18   #35
BHPian

Its comparatively easy to build on the work of others. As long as you have a platform to build on, one can get as innovative and as stylish as possible. DC has always capitalised on this fact, by giving us fancy designs which were always based on solid platforms, built by others.

This time the car has had to be built, proverbially, from scratch. The overall design is a mish-mash of inspirations from the Lamborgini and Ferrari stables.

A Sports Car or a Super Car are not just nomenclatures! They are responsibly designed products which have to keep safety of the human component uppermost in its basic and fundamental design. There are Two most important parameter for cars that can go at speeds beyond 160 Kmph.

The first is the stability of the car at very high speeds, including the absolute gripping of the road surface - The faster the car the better the grip. Especially given the fact that gravel, oil, water and even dust are common culprits of road accidents. Wind tunnel tests on models, mirroring the finished designs, are used to find the effect of the air and cross-winds at high speeds for the car. At speeds of 250 kmph the air is actually supposed to press the car to the road, ensuring better road grip. Theoretically, beyond a certain speed, it should be possible to drive the car upside down on the roof because of the effect of the surrounding air on the vehicle.

The second very important parameter is the safety of the human component in the event of a crash at the right royal speed of say, 250 kmph. For this the passenger cabin MUST be the strongest possible capsule, with the ability to retain its shape in the worst possible scenario. The front and rear of the car must, in addition, be par excellence crumple zones, to ably absorb a lot of the impact in the stated scenario.

I personally doubt if this DC design can fulfill any of the above parameters. One has heard nothing about safety, regarding the Avanti, There probably is nothing much to hear!!

A car built to travel at 250 kmph, is like a weapon! You need the assurance of absolute confidence in safety, whenever it has to be handled. I have had friends survive unscathed from high speed crashes in Germany, mostly driver error. The car, though, was always totaled! Like I said, absolute dependable safety!

Me'thinks that the Avanti is mostly all Design and Specification. Not something one can trust his life to.
Tigger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 15:05   #36
BHPian

What you have said with respect to safety is absolutely correct. But assuming that nothing of this sort has been carried out or wont be carried out in the case of Avanti [Pathetic name IMO] is totally wrong. Assumptions are the mother of all misunderstandings.
The DC team, whoever it consists of other than DC himself would have enough knowledge and exposure to high speed cars to think on these lines. Also, the launch is still quite a long way off so you never know if there are certain changes that will be incorporated in the Avanti.

The looks and the name are subjective and open to criticism [which I am guessing they wanted a feedback on through this showcase], but they have put in a lot of work into the underpinnings and the least we can do is to wait for a fair evaluation of the car as an overall product before discrediting it as just another wannabe mod job.

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2012 at 16:27. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
ra'ul M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 18:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

For the first time I liked DC designs. The "Super Car" is actually a super car. It looked wider than any car I have ever seen. Looked stunning. It comes in my top two cars of Auro Expo. At this price point it should do very well.
The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-image_025.jpg
The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-image_026.jpg
The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-image_017.jpg
The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-image_020.jpg

Other pics of Thar. In 10 Lakhs lakhs you can get it all done. Looked stunning too. Best possible Compact SUV India is looking for.

The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-image_022.jpg

The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-image_024.jpg

The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-image_019.jpg

The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-image_018.jpg

The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-image_015.jpg

The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-image_016.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th January 2012 at 12:58. Reason: Fixing spacing issue
Ym-enjn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 19:59   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
There's no doubting DC's ability as a businessman and a marketer.

Every so often he comes along with some news that the press goes ga-ga about. Whether its a 1-crore ambassador (Ambierod - shown 2 years ago at auto expo), or a 1-crore Nano, or other big plans. Eventually though, they fizzle away and never get mentioned again (thankfully so, in the previous two cases).
Specialty of DC is that he is a design celebrity without having designed a single mass produced car! New Reva when goes for production must be his first real mass produced design.
I also believe that he is only worried about the styling of a car and may not be all that appreciative about the dynamics (I could be wrong but that's the impression I have developed).
Old 10th January 2012, 21:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Specialty of DC is that he is a design celebrity without having designed a single mass produced car! New Reva when goes for production must be his first real mass produced design.
correction. his work on the Mahindra Armada was his first mass produced design and in fact that is when he started DC Design.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 10th January 2012 at 21:51.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 10:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
For the first time I liked DC designs. The "Super Car" is actually a super car. It looked wider than any car I have ever seen. Looked stunning. It comes in my top two cars of Auro Expo. At this price point it should do very well.Attachment 869252
Attachment 869254
Attachment 869255
Attachment 869256

Other pics of Thar. In 10 Lakhs lakhs you can get it all done. Looked stunning too. Best possible Compact SUV India is looking for.

Attachment 869257

Attachment 869258

Attachment 869259

Attachment 869260

Attachment 869261

Attachment 869262
Im sorry but i disagree here and im sure many people here would be when it comes to spoiling the THAR. I would pay 10 lacs to keep the THAR look Stock than this way.

For the first time i really liked a DC design and that was AVANTI as mentioned by many here
harishnayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 10:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Im sorry but i disagree here and im sure many people here would be when it comes to spoiling the THAR. I would pay 10 lacs to keep the THAR look Stock than this way.

For the first time i really liked a DC design and that was AVANTI as mentioned by many here
Oh! what I had in mind was that using the same THAR platform Mahindra should come up with something similar to this (minus these ugly headlights). With unmatched offroading capabilities of a Jeep and comfort of a car and compact. Then the price will also not go that high. Spending 10L on Thar is a big no no..
Old 11th January 2012, 12:15   #42
BHPian

This is truly the best ever designby DC. Kudos to him and this is the only DC car I really wish should go in production and sell numbers. There is no glaring angles, ugly lights and grille. A very well crafted car. The c-pillar as has been said in almost all posts should be corrected before it goes into production.

When it comes to "re-incarnated" Thar - well I can only say "Why this Kolaveri DC" What happens to him in redesigning front? The A/B pillars looks ok to me though. Any pictures from rear three quarter and back? Would really like Mahiindras to give us compact SUV on this platform with all the in-cabin comforts.
Old 17th January 2012, 13:44   #43

Why is it a supercar?

>It hasn't got a super car engine, not even sports car engine. 0-60 in less than 7 seconds? and a super car?

>Red color alone can not decide a car to be a super/sports car

>Design is as ugly as it could be. Why such a huge mouth? and the crease line going from headlight to rear wheel with huge metal piece trying to be an air scoop is a misfit.

> won't comment on the rear. can not digest.

Just because it's called a super car and is 25 lakh rupees! let us start, as countrymen, to achieve more of quality. i wouldn't mind spending a crore for a better looking car.
why would you buy it if it's not for as cheap as 25lakh?
Old 18th January 2012, 20:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I agree that the front end seems to be heavily 'inspired' from the 458 Italia, but the overall silhouette seems to be a rehash of the Ford GT90. Anyone else see it?
You nailed it buddy. Ever since I first saw the pics of the Avanti, I was thinking that this shape is very familiar and some other car looked like this when viewed from front three-quarters. Thanks to you, I got the answer. Undoubtedly, the Avanti also borrows heavily from the Ford GT90 apart from its cues from the Ferrari 458 Italia and Audi R8. As much as the front end looks good, the rear of the Avanti looks so bulbous and heavy.

Inspite of all this, like so many others here in the forum, Avanti is the first ever DC designed vehicle that I have developed a liking. Bring it on DC. At that price, with those looks and power, if DC gets the dynamics right, Indians can at last lay their hands on a wannabe supercar, if not a real supercar.
Old 18th January 2012, 21:20   #45
BHPian

I seriously don't understand the philosophy here. This so called super car looks like it's been made from dropped out parts from all the super cars all over the world. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ford, Audi; you name it, Avanti has it. Can't DC come up with something original with all his design experience? People jump over every Hyundai design and call it copy cat. What about this one? I see that the word changes from copy to inspiration here.
And, is it track tested or even tested in any way to support it's super car credentials? What about safety? I'll wait for more news.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks