Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2011, 22:38   #1
BHPian

Elephants crossing the National Highway 7!

Anyone happened to read this ? Being a Sunday, anyone happened to be on the road at that time ? Any video clips anyone ?

The Hindu : Tamil Nadu News : Elephants cross highway, enter Shoolagiri town
Old 15th March 2011, 16:52   #2
BHPian

Re: Elephants crossing the National Highway 7!

Yes, this news came to me as a big shock and surprise.. Never had heard or seen such a thing before for NH7. I didn't see it myself, but saw it in news, and when they showed them crossing the NH7, I was spellbound.

Poor elephants, I guess the NH really restricts them and they just had to follow their instincts eastward. Really wondering if they would remain on the east side of NH7, or would attempt to cross back to west side,, or what is the plan of the Forest Department?

Our wildlife is taking the brunt of our developments.. Just few days ago read about a leopard killed on the NICE road around Bangalore..
Old 17th March 2011, 21:47   #3
BHPian

Verditer - 2 leopards in the last 4-5 weeks on the NICE road..
Old 18th March 2011, 09:38   #4
BHPian

Very sad.
There was another leopard - human conflict near Krishnagiri this week, the poor thing was chased into a well, but the Forest Department seems to have rescued it in couple of hours, but it died in the evening, likely due to the suffering, exhaustion, injuries and hunger.
Old 27th March 2011, 21:29   #5
BHPian

Sheesh. I don't even like the vehicular traffic on the Bandipur - Ooty road. Perfect recipe for harming animals :( . It's common to see Fosters tins, and plastic bottles along the highway. And the drivers don't stick to the prescribed speed limit..

Years from now, there'll be nothing left to see or respect..
Old 14th April 2011, 12:40   #6
BHPian

I pity the elephants, expansion of roads, cities and town had messed up many lives of wildlife. This is just an example.
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:39   #7
BHPian

Could be OT, but what exactly should you do if you ever come across a herd or even worse a lone elephant suddenly in front of your car?
Is it safe to back up or just to stay put with the headlights on and honk continuously ?(Remember seeing a youtube video of a jeep doing that)
Old 11th May 2011, 10:32   #8
BHPian

Cooljai - it depends on how close you are to the herd/single elephant. Usually herds are safer, and even if you are close, you can back off a bit and assess situation.

You've to react based on how the elephants behave. Often one of the herd, usually matriarch, may give a mock charge. Stand your ground till it is too close, and if she still charges, it is NOT a mock charge, so back off quickly.

Ensure you are not irritating them - this is first priority. Dont talk inside your car, dont shout, switch off headlights if on, and definitely no honking. All this will irritate them much. Just shut up and wait for them to move away. Only our actions get them irritated and they charge.

Single elephants are a different deal altogether, and it is difficult to predict what they may/may not do. And depends on situation to situation, individual to individual. You have to make a decision at the spot what to do, based on the elephant's signs.
Old 17th May 2011, 19:55   #9
BHPian

Thanks Verditer.
This was the youtube video I was earlier referring to

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks