Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2011, 17:04   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Lost my driving licence. Then got a challan for rash driving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
At one such checkpost around Vengurla, Sindhudurg, the driver produced his license to the checkpost officer. I glanced at it and found it was a little weird. After the formalities, we got back into the car and I asked the driver to show me his license (the new credit card type with a Red header and sim card type chip). To my surprise, it was a photocopied, laminated license and did not resemble the original at all. The colour scanned copy had a lighter shade of Red, was printed on paper that was wrapped around a card and stuck. Wonder how the officers never caught it.
It is pretty common I believe. Checkout my F-I-L's DL: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post2212852 (Smart Card DL's and Registration info - Finally)
Old 28th February 2011, 17:46   #17
BHPian

It means Mumbai Police is very efficient. Caught the culprit with in 2 days time.
Old 28th February 2011, 18:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Surprising.
I am surprised that it is surprising to you!!! Its a common practice in Hyderabad. I dont know how it is elsewhere!!
Old 28th February 2011, 19:23   #19
DNM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
It means Mumbai Police is very efficient. Caught the culprit with in 2 days time.
Where have they caught the culprit?
They are still processing the information, and will notify it to my soon..
(Im sure, this 'soon' is going to take a long time!)
Old 28th February 2011, 19:29   #20
BHPian

Hey DNM, this case of yours looks very peculiar. Some of the facts are a complete mismatch; I have listed some of the queries i have, hope i can expect your feedback on them:
  • When you lost your wallet the first thing to do was to make a police complaint, you have not mentioned anywhere of yourself doing so.
  • If the guy with your license had broken any rules and refused to pay then he would have the license confiscated, and if he tried to run away HIS car registration number would receive the challan.
  • Lastly, while renewing the license with the RTO, didn't you have to show them the police complaint receipt?
I am not saying that you are wrong but it just happens to be that i found these things strange.
Old 28th February 2011, 20:02   #21
DNM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
Hey DNM, this case of yours looks very peculiar. Some of the facts are a complete mismatch; I have listed some of the queries i have, hope i can expect your feedback on them:
  • When you lost your wallet the first thing to do was to make a police complaint, you have not mentioned anywhere of yourself doing so.
  • If the guy with your license had broken any rules and refused to pay then he would have the license confiscated, and if he tried to run away HIS car registration number would receive the challan.
  • Lastly, while renewing the license with the RTO, didn't you have to show them the police complaint receipt?
I am not saying that you are wrong but it just happens to be that i found these things strange.

1) I was with my friend when i lost my wallet. He told me that it is pointless lodging a complaint to the police, because they get loads of complaints for loss of wallets everyday, so they never attend to you ever!

2) The guy who broke the rules paid the fine then and there itself (as told by the HO). He did not try to run away or refuse to pay for it.

3) Police complaint receipt of what? I had the original documents xerox copied when i issued for my licence. The person whom i got the new licence done was a friend of my dads, so he didnt bother to check on anything. He gave me a new licence, the DL Number being same to avoid complications of filling a new form and getting the driving tests done.

Im sure I have satisfied you with your queries..
Old 28th February 2011, 21:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNM View Post
3) Police complaint receipt of what? I had the original documents xerox copied when i issued for my licence. The person whom i got the new licence done was a friend of my dads, so he didnt bother to check on anything. He gave me a new licence, the DL Number being same to avoid complications of filling a new form and getting the driving tests done.
This is strange as the RTO needs a Police FIR copy before they issue a duplicate license. And the duplicate license has that marked in the number XXXXA or XXXXB or some such. They cancel the old number so that on a later date that license cannot be used.

Seems that in your case that procedure wasn't done else you would have not experienced the present issue.
Old 28th February 2011, 21:04   #23
BHPian

In a Passport, when one passport is cancelled for what-ever reason, the new Passport is issued with a new number (in which the old Passport No. is incidentally mentioned)!
Unfortunately in India, if a driving licence is lost/damaged/converted to Smart Card, the License Number remains the same.
Unless the system for driving licences changes to this (like that of passports), theotically, one can have any number of 'Original' driving licences issued by the same authority!!
Old 28th February 2011, 21:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
1) I was with my friend when i lost my wallet. He told me that it is pointless lodging a complaint to the police, because they get loads of complaints for loss of wallets everyday, so they never attend to you ever!
But you lost your license, that should have been reported.

Quote:
2) The guy who broke the rules paid the fine then and there itself (as told by the HO). He did not try to run away or refuse to pay for it.
Then why did you say that you received a challan?

Quote:

Im sure I have satisfied you with your queries..
Ok, looks like the procedure was not followed properly, I am not looking for getting any query satisfied, i just pointed this out for the benefit of others. Any ways I guess should leave it here. Glad to know that the problem was resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
This is strange as the RTO needs a Police FIR copy before they issue a duplicate license. And the duplicate license has that marked in the number XXXXA or XXXXB or some such. They cancel the old number so that on a later date that license cannot be used.

Seems that in your case that procedure wasn't done else you would have not experienced the present issue.

This is exactly my point, an FIR report is essential in such a case.

Last edited by Zappex : 28th February 2011 at 21:28. Reason: Typo
Old 28th February 2011, 22:56   #25
DNM
BANNED

Quote:
But you lost your license, that should have been reported.

Then why did you say that you received a challan?

Ok, looks like the procedure was not followed properly, I am not looking for getting any query satisfied, i just pointed this out for the benefit of others. Any ways I guess should leave it here. Glad to know that the problem was resolved.

This is exactly my point, an FIR report is essential in such a case.
1) Yes, I did so by telling it to my dad, who spoke to his friend, as earlier mentioned, is related to the RTO office!

2) I'm sorry, but i think you did not comprehend to what i wrote. Go back to the first page and read the whole post again. I have said that i received a warning letter stating that I have been charged Rs.400/- for my offense. Here, i am talking about the money that the culprit would have paid when he/she got caught!
I have not said that I have received a fine on the letter.
The letter was a clear warning of not repeating the same again, less, a severe action would be taken against me.

3) Good. I am glad you pointed it out for the benefit of others and that i have justified the things you were trying to point out.
Thank you!

4) An FIR will not do any good now. I have already received a new license.

Last edited by DNM : 28th February 2011 at 22:59.
Old 28th February 2011, 22:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FIR report is essential in such a case.
Good luck with that.

At max you will get an acknowledgment of diary entry.
Old 28th February 2011, 23:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
An FIR will not do any good now. I have already received a new license.
A challan generally means a fine , Anyways thanks for clearing that up. You received a warning letter. That says it all, and yes glad to know that you got your new license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
That is exactly what you need for proceeding for a new license. Anyways, He received his new license. Lets end this here.

Last edited by Zappex : 28th February 2011 at 23:04.
Old 28th February 2011, 23:12   #28
DNM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Good luck with that.

I realize the importance of filing a FIR for this now.
But anyway, i cannot do anything now. All i can do is wait for the officers to get back to me and let me know who the culprit is!
Thanks again for advising me, though.

Quote:
That is exactly what you need for proceeding for a new license. Anyways, He received his new license. Lets end this here.
Thank you very much, Zappex.
I will keep you all updated with whatever information i get!

Last edited by bblost : 28th February 2011 at 23:25. Reason: back to back posts. Please use Edit if posting again within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 1st March 2011, 00:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Well, I dont see anything wrong in this. If you loose your license and someone misuses it, it is not the RTOs or anyones fault right? And unless they receive a complaint, they cannot check everyones license thinking it is forged

But anyways, good that they have atleast caught the person. What if a possible terrorist or murderer gets hold of this and misuses it. Now it was a challan, what if it was an arrest warrant for a murder. It is scary to think of loosing ones identity documents
Old 1st March 2011, 08:57   #30
DNM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Well, I dont see anything wrong in this. If you loose your license and someone misuses it, it is not the RTOs or anyones fault right? And unless they receive a complaint, they cannot check everyones license thinking it is forged

But anyways, good that they have atleast caught the person. What if a possible terrorist or murderer gets hold of this and misuses it. Now it was a challan, what if it was an arrest warrant for a murder. It is scary to think of loosing ones identity documents
I woudnt agree with you wholly thedreamcatcher. Yes, it is my fault for being careless and for loosing my wallet, with my licence AND im also not blaming the RTO for anything. This thread is just an example as to how the indian RTO is!
The Indian RTO should issue new licence under new DL Numbers, but they dont do so, generally, to avoid filling up of forms again and getting the driving tests done, etc.
If the Indian RTO is a bit more organized like the passport department, just as cpbopanna said, it would have become a lot more simpler, and even if the culprit would have showed my old licence, it could have been checked on their swipe machine and can be distinguished as a 'cancelled licence'.
Hope the RTO comes up with such things, making a licence much more secure than what it is now..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Yes MileCruncher.
I am telling you what i experienced. Didnt know that there is such kind of a procedure too!
I have also heard many incidents where the same DL NUMBER is used to generate a new license. This has probably been, and still be the a very risky way for the RTO to function. Hoping that they realize the 'wrong' advantage people take of their poor system and working. I am a victim of such!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st March 2011 at 10:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks