Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2017, 14:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Gangs, Road Theft & Street Advice

The article should be corrected to mention gang of 5 instead of 4. What are the odds of bus driver stopping somewhere in the middle of night and a tiny gang of robbers looting the bus. In my relatively limited experience, I have never seen the buses stop anywhere other than at their preferred shacks and the only stationary buses are ones which have broken down.
Old 31st August 2017, 16:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Strange that they dacoits were exactly at the same place where the driver decided to take a leak. AFAIK and from what I got to know from these state transport bus drivers, they are not allowed to step down from the buses unless at the designated stops. This, I have noticed in reality too when these drivers don't budge from their seats even in traffic jams or any other cases. Wonder how the driver did so in this case
Right. Something is fishy here.

Also, I was flabbergasted to know that this happened just 65 km from Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Just saw a video on Facebook that had this clip plus other similar ones. That video says they used ceramic pieces (by breaking the spark plug).

Salt+saliva was a bit unbelievable!
This is where sun film comes into scheme of things. Film generally holds the glass together. I had seen this happen to my friend's car. An attempt had been .Ade to burgle the car. The burglar had broken the window glass but the film held together. The burglar might had lost nerve by then and left.

Ofcourse, a more determined effort might had broken the glass.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th September 2017 at 01:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
Old 19th September 2017, 01:22   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Getting robbed of articles in the car is one thing.

Getting robbed of the car in totality somewhere on a secluded highway is my nightmare. My uncle and his family (aunt + 2 small girls) very nearly were victims of an infamous gang of dacoits on motorcycles near Sivagangai in TN. They were on their way home from Madurai to Sivagangai at dusk when a gang on 5-6 motorcycles honked and tried to stop their Petrol Swift. Thankfully my uncle held his nerve and actually used the 2nd gear to rocket away from the crime scene; he jarringly uses the 4th gear when even in 25kmph as a habit.

Likewise, myself and my friends were riding offroad about on our motorcycles in interior Agumbe (in KA) when we came upon a gang of men with rifles. Who were they? Wildlife poachers? Naxals? Both are known to prowl the larger Udupi area...luckily we rode past them quickly and they were just as surprised to see us.

I cannot get into a physical fight without shaking all over, if ever needed. I remember a book by a former US Navy SEAL where he explained that most humans cannot handle violence until they are systematically trained to respond to it, like soldiers are. In that case, I don't think even carrying a weapon in our cars is of much use for self-defense. Depressing thoughts here...sorry!
locusjag is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 17:53   #34
BHPian

Yesterday had a weird experience. While taking a tight U-turn I had to slow down to crawling speed. I just noticed a middle aged saree clad woman approaching my car. I noticed her because of a strange maniacal smile on her face. And to my utter surprise she tried to open the rear door of my car. Since my car was locked she could not open it. After that I just completed the turn and went on my path. Don't know where she went after that. I was wondering what could be her motive.

1. She tried to do steal stuff from my car.

2. She was mentally unstable and just wanted to cause trouble. She had a strange smile on her face.

3. She was a sex worker looking for customers. Or may be was trying to get into the car and then extort money. May be part of a criminal gang.

God knows. This happened around noon time in Manikonda Hyderabad.

Lesson learnt: Always keep your car locked while on the road.
JediKnight is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks