Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2010, 22:11   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
...the road is closed and unless that happens, the road to Karu/Manali will not open.
The OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF DISTRICT LEH (LADAKH) continues to show both the Manali-Leh and Srinagar-Leh routes to be open. Looks like the LAHDC office got washed away too.
Old 8th August 2010, 09:40   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Some visuals of Leh from today's Hindustan Times.

Link.

Leh cloud burst! Flash floods kill 44; Leh completely cut off-4.jpg

Leh cloud burst! Flash floods kill 44; Leh completely cut off-3.jpg

Leh cloud burst! Flash floods kill 44; Leh completely cut off-2.jpg

Leh cloud burst! Flash floods kill 44; Leh completely cut off-1.jpg
Old 8th August 2010, 20:47   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF DISTRICT LEH (LADAKH) continues to show both the Manali-Leh and Srinagar-Leh routes to be open. Looks like the LAHDC office got washed away too.
This website is once updated when the road is officially declared open. Then at end of season when BRO again officially declares one of the passes closed, this website is updated. It does not track the "in between" closings.

Right now, the status on ground still looks bad. I am unable to contact the hotel owners where we stayed. They have BSNL phones, and it appears BSNL is still not working.
Also, there are no news about Nubra valley. According to reports, even nubra valley got very heavy rain.
Old 8th August 2010, 21:15   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This website is once updated when the road is officially declared open. Then at end of season when BRO again officially declares one of the passes closed, this website is updated. It does not track the "in between" closings.
Oh. I see. I was under the impression that the notification tracks actual conditions.
Old 9th August 2010, 09:23   #50
BHPian

I was able to contact the Leh Ling Nawang Mahaindra Service Manager named Jigmeet, he mentioned that the death toll expected is too high in 4 figured that the current mentioned 100+ and a lot missing, this is yesterdays update.

-Pramod
Old 9th August 2010, 09:54   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more visuals of Leh from today's Hindustan Times.

Link.

Leh cloud burst! Flash floods kill 44; Leh completely cut off-5.jpg

Leh cloud burst! Flash floods kill 44; Leh completely cut off-6.jpg

Leh cloud burst! Flash floods kill 44; Leh completely cut off-7.jpg
Old 9th August 2010, 10:44   #52
Team-BHP Support

Damn! Thats the petrol pump at cholgmsar where we used to get our tankfulls!
This little village bore the brunt of the damage!
Old 9th August 2010, 10:45   #53
BHPian

I and a small team were en-route till Pang. Conditions were really bad, drove from Ambala since we had to carry equipment. 6th night was worse since there were 3 landslides nearing Pang and 1 just near Kothi (cleared by morning 6 AM by BRO), didn't mean to risk much and turned-back. Worst hit is Srinagar - Leh, 2 truck worth forces telecommunication equipment stuck. Around Manali it rained for 2 days continuously, most of the streams were running amok, we shuddered while walking the Bailey to reach BRO HQ.

Its really sad what happened, further near Shyok Army is counting its own causalities, ever since Friday they have been sending scouts and chetak's to assess forward posts. Loads of causalities expected
Old 9th August 2010, 11:06   #54
Senior - BHPian

Newspaper report is that SMS has been restored, but in reality SMS is not getting delivered (I tried today morning).

Power is supplied in Leh town only for a few hours in the evening.

There were 11 flights yesterday to evacuate the stranded, and there will be same number today too.

Newspaper reports of people stranded in Lamayuru, Nimmu, Pang, Batalik, Pangong and Kargil-Padum road.

One newspaper says that a temporary Leh-Choglamsar road has been opened.

9 brodges are said to be washed away, but no news on which route they are in. Some are definitely in the Karagil road around Nimmu.

All settlements near Chang la (on way to Pangong) are said to be wiped out.

The Gurudwara Pathar Sahib (very popular shrine near Leh on the Kargil road) was badly affected, but is now reopened.

They say the Manali road will be opened in a day or two, but no one in Leh seems to have any idea.
Old 9th August 2010, 11:21   #55
Team-BHP Support

Shyok/Nubra valley is also affected, with army jawans missing. However, there is no news media in Turtuk currently. So reports are far and few. I am wondering how did diskit and panamik fare?
Old 9th August 2010, 12:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

My sister and brother-in-law are planning to visit Leh this 22nd and already have the air tickets booked. Do you guys think it'd be worth it going there after this or should they instead cancel their trip and plan elsewhere? I mean this has disrupted a lot of things and would accomodation/travelling be a problem?
Old 9th August 2010, 12:10   #57
BHPian

Have confirmed with someone in Army Aviation, "Turtuk too is impacted, across Shyok, Army fortification bunkers completely wiped out no confirmed reports on Diskit and Hundar yet, Thoise Airfield is safe"
Old 9th August 2010, 12:30   #58
BHPian

Quote:
My sister and brother-in-law are planning to visit Leh this 22nd and already have the air tickets booked. Do you guys think it'd be worth it going there after this or should they instead cancel their trip and plan elsewhere? I mean this has disrupted a lot of things and would accomodation/travelling be a problem?
1. It may not be over yet, this year there is unusually high weather disturbance in this region, especially high altitude
2. If they are there as touch-go just to see places then this place should be avoided, place of stay, water, food and basic sanitation is severely impacted
3. Since most of the habitation are far and wide, getting confirmed reports is very difficult

Not sure about their choices, but this time rains have caused havoc across the Himalayan region
Old 9th August 2010, 12:44   #59
Senior - BHPian

I just got to know that they cancelled their program, thanks for the help though.
Old 9th August 2010, 13:20   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I was able to contact the Leh Ling Nawang Mahaindra Service Manager named Jigmeet, he mentioned that the death toll expected is too high in 4 figured that the current mentioned 100+ and a lot missing, this is yesterdays update.

-Pramod
How badly is the Maruti?Mahindra service centre damaged? Read that it was in the mud slide path on the slope.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks