Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 10:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Raj, this is most unfortunate. My sympathies.

Shorting out the indicator wires effectively short-circuits and blows the fuse for power supply to the central locking system. Please have this checked and repaired as necessary.

The best deterrents are mechanical - from a gear lock + steering lock combo to (as someone mentioned having noticed, on another forum) tying your car to a lamp-post with a chain and padlock. Would suggest you invest in a gear lock + steering lock (though they may be easily picked/broken, they act as a visual deterrent, and prevent the initial vandalization that happened with your car).

Mahindra Scorpio VLX theft attempt-steeringlock.jpg
Old 17th May 2010, 10:19   #17
BHPian

Sad to know this, but anyways happy that your dear one is still with you for that extra care you took to edit the default immobilizer code.

I don't think the missing LHS key ring will be an issue, as the immobilizer code cannot be challenged so easily. Your idea of different keys for the doors+hatch and one for the ignition sounds good.

Regards.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:01   #18
BANNED

Those are ugly theft marks and dents on the door but all is well that ends well. You are lucky to have the truck with you after such a proffessional thief tried to get his hands on it. Thank God.

Coming to the gearlock thing, well any lock can be broken. Its just that it acts as a very visible deterrent to potential thief and he would rather look for a different vehicle which does not have it rather than spend some extra time working on the vehicle which has it installed.

I would recommend a gear lock fitment asap. The multiple key idea too is good and worth implementing.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Sad to know this, but anyways happy that your dear one is still with you for that extra care you took to edit the default immobilizer code.

I don't think the missing LHS key ring will be an issue, as the immobilizer code cannot be challenged so easily. Your idea of different keys for the doors+hatch and one for the ignition sounds good.

Regards.
this thread says that the codes can easily be cracked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Those are ugly theft marks and dents on the door but all is well that ends well. You are lucky to have the truck with you after such a proffessional thief tried to get his hands on it. Thank God.

Coming to the gearlock thing, well any lock can be broken. Its just that it acts as a very visible deterrent to potential thief and he would rather look for a different vehicle which does not have it rather than spend some extra time working on the vehicle which has it installed.

I would recommend a gear lock fitment asap. The multiple key idea too is good and worth implementing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Raj, this is most unfortunate. My sympathies.

Shorting out the indicator wires effectively short-circuits and blows the fuse for power supply to the central locking system. Please have this checked and repaired as necessary.

The best deterrents are mechanical - from a gear lock + steering lock combo to (as someone mentioned having noticed, on another forum) tying your car to a lamp-post with a chain and padlock. Would suggest you invest in a gear lock + steering lock (though they may be easily picked/broken, they act as a visual deterrent, and prevent the initial vandalization that happened with your car).

Attachment 349642
point noted friends, steering lock & gear lock will be purchased ASAP. any particular brands i should be looking for?
Old 17th May 2010, 11:37   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
point noted friends, steering lock & gear lock will be purchased ASAP. any particular brands i should be looking for?
Yes, most of the people I know from the Yahoo Scorpio Groups have the AutoCop gear lock. Unfortunately though, it is not available in Bangalore which is why some of the Blore people have installed Xenos. No idea about the steering lock though.
Both AutoCop and Xenos gearlocks should cost you around 1400 including installation charges.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:46   #21
Team-BHP Support

Scorpios are very popular vehicles for car-thieves, and this thread came as no surprise. We've been seeing such similar modus operandi being reported earlier as well.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Be careful. They took lock of left door to make duplicate keys. Please change all locks of Scorpio, immediately. They use same trick for Bolero theft. They first dislodge diesel cover and then make duplicate keys out of that and come back again and drive. Plus point in Scorpio in Immobilizer.

My friends Bolero got stolen in similar fashion. He found diesel cover minus lock along side.
Old 17th May 2010, 12:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Yes, most of the people I know from the Yahoo Scorpio Groups have the AutoCop gear lock. Unfortunately though, it is not available in Bangalore which is why some of the Blore people have installed Xenos. No idea about the steering lock though.
Both AutoCop and Xenos gearlocks should cost you around 1400 including installation charges.
yes, autocop is available in mumbai, i will search for the strongest steering lock.

but doesnt gear lock installation need holes to be drilled in the centre console?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Scorpios are very popular vehicles for car-thieves, and this thread came as no surprise. We've been seeing such similar modus operandi being reported earlier as well.
i was not quite surprised too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...nb-3361-a.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...s-cracked.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...io-owners.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...st-stolen.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...000-bliss.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Be careful. They took lock of left door to make duplicate keys. Please change all locks of Scorpio, immediately. They use same trick for Bolero theft. They first dislodge diesel cover and then make duplicate keys out of that and come back again and drive. Plus point in Scorpio in Immobilizer.

My friends Bolero got stolen in similar fashion. He found diesel cover minus lock along side.
yes anuj, look at my post #13, point #1. i have already enquired in the mahindra A.S.S for two sets of locks.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 17th May 2010 at 12:01.
Old 17th May 2010, 12:43   #24
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The photographs look scary. It is indeed a damn professional work. The theif has managed to pull the wires out and cut them so that the lights don't flash when the alarm goes off.
And a very clean work with the lock as well.
The feeling I get when I look at the snaps is that it's not the work of a small time theif. Looks more like an organized racket that's happening. Check with police. They might be knowing which gangs handiwork this may be!
Everyone is hand-in-glove.
Thank god your car is still there!
Old 17th May 2010, 12:45   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
The photographs look scary. It is indeed a damn professional work. The theif has managed to pull the wires out and cut them so that the lights don't flash when the alarm goes off.
I believe the shorting was done so the buzzer doesnt sound, and not so the lights dont flash.
Old 17th May 2010, 12:54   #26
BHPian

Raj - I am glad that the scorpio is with you.

The door lock in the scorpio is an easy giveaway. It just need to be pushed with a screwdriver once the rubber beading is cut. Once pushed there is a large hole in the door which makes it very easy to open it. Once the door is open the thief can easily cut the alarm by simply cutting the wire to the battery. After that its his ability to work around the immobilizer .

Please check the door after opening the panels. There might be some parts which would have fallen inside the panel. Happened with me once and the lock had fallen inside the door panel. I immediately got all locks changed and added a gear lock.

A gear lock is a good visual deterrent.

Hope all your scorpios remain safe and always remain with you.
Old 17th May 2010, 13:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I believe the shorting was done so the buzzer doesnt sound, and not so the lights dont flash.
does that mean this blew the central locking system's fuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smats View Post
A gear lock is a good visual deterrent.

Hope all your scorpios remain safe and always remain with you.
i am planning to add these to my car now-
now i am considering the following:

1) steering lock
2) gear lock
3) chor switch
4) different locks for doors & ignition
5) GPS based tracking device

also, is it possible to directly give power to the nippon central locking system with a new/different fuse so that the buzzer will sound even after shorting the side indicators.

also guys, since one of the door locks have been broken, i have to change all the door locks. as said in post #13, i plan to have different keys for the ignition & the door locks.

i enquired in the mahindra A.S.S & they have only 1 key set in stock now. so, i am changing all the door locks for now & keeping the same ignition key so that atleast both have different keys. is that okay? or is it risky as my current door lock is already missing & i am keeping the same ignition lock?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 17th May 2010 at 13:14.
Old 17th May 2010, 13:56   #28
BHPian

Raj,

Glad that the scorpio is still with You, unfortunate this happened. Though this is awful, am glad the immobilizer saved the day.

It is ok to have two different set of keys, but why not consider removing all locks and make the doors work only with the remote. Also consider having a reed-switch based chor-switch, instead of the regular one hidden somewhere. A reed-switch will close the circuit only when activated by a magnet (which You have in your key-chain) and can be hidden from view (say installed behind the dash but accessible by the magnet).
Old 17th May 2010, 14:07   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
yes, autocop is available in mumbai, i will search for the strongest steering lock.

but doesnt gear lock installation need holes to be drilled in the centre console?
No, it doesnt. The gear lock mountingplate fits on the chassis using bolts whose heads are broken once fully tightened. It does not use the center console at all AFAIK.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) steering lock
2) gear lock
3) chor switch
4) different locks for doors & ignition
5) GPS based tracking device

also, is it possible to directly give power to the nippon central locking system with a new/different fuse so that the buzzer will sound even after shorting the side indicators.

also guys, since one of the door locks have been broken, i have to change all the door locks. as said in post #13, i plan to have different keys for the ignition & the door locks.

i enquired in the mahindra A.S.S & they have only 1 key set in stock now. so, i am changing all the door locks for now & keeping the same ignition key so that atleast both have different keys. is that okay? or is it risky as my current door lock is already missing & i am keeping the same ignition lock?
Dear Raj,

It is very very disheartening to note the theft attempt on your ride. I am very much pained to say the least.

I am seriously planning to install the GSM tracking device and exploring the separate fuse and power supply(if possible or an alternate power backup) for the nippon central locking system.

Do not retain your old key for ignition. Change the doors and the ignition one too. If possible, change the immobilizer code to a new code.

Needless to say, do not move the car out or leave the car alone for any time till all these changes are made. Glad that the car is with you and has an opportunity to serve you better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks