Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 15:05   #766
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Hope this puts an end to this menace once and for all.
Sorry to sound pessimistic, but i dont think this will end so soon. Even if the original gang is caught, there may be new copycat gangs who would surface, or even better still the captured guys will be out on bail soon, only to resume their 'livelihood'.

It was stated earlier too on this thread that the guys responsible were caught, but after a lull, the incidents were back as we can see.
Old 4th March 2011, 15:24   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
They have asked him to come to the police station to identify if his valuables were among those confiscated by the cops. Will provide further updates after he returns from the police station.

Hope this puts an end to this menace once and for all.
I am pretty sure how this will go. He will be asked to shell out 50% of the value of his belongings.

A friend of mine had a house burglary. A week later police claimed to have caught the culprits and extorted close to 50% of the value of the stolen goods as "processing charges" over the next 3 months.
Old 4th March 2011, 23:01   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Why is that so? If I may ask?
Better not to have any relationship with those kind of people. That link may open up some new trouble, who knows.
Old 9th March 2011, 20:32   #769
BHPian

Saw a new form of mugging today.Was coming back from office,situated in whitefield, on my bullet and usually take the shortcut which is a bylane just left of ITPL which goes and connects to the marthalli road, near the shell petrol pump.This road is a typicial village pass kind of road with typical barren stretches in between.

On one such small stretch saw whole crowd of villagers(mostly women and few grown up kids along with them)were walking right in the middle of the road.
A few other bikers were already ahead of me slowing down and honking.By the time we reached near the group, all the villagers suddenly pounced on us.the other 2 bikers were "gheraoed" and their bike keys snatched.It happened all of a sudden and by the time I could understand anything, could see 5 women and around 2 men rushig towards me shouting to stop and suddenly don't know what triggered me(probably aware of the bangalore no longer being safe), shifted down and dashed through the crowd and vanished, hitting one woman and probably 2 guys in my escape.

Was too horrified and shocked of what had just happened.Reached marthalli and reported it to the traffic cops who were kind enough to listen to the entire escapade and when I was describing them the location of the incident another biker who had fallen victim came down.His purse was snatched away and so were his mobile phone and watch.He had a few bruises on his face as they tried to manhandle his head with his helmet on.

He said he would take them back to the scene of crime and I left from there.

Really cursing myself for not taking my Safari today as I was in a hurry and was in no mood to sit and dream stuck in traffic

But people going to ITPL, GRtechpark and other IT parks in that area be cautious.
Everyday a new form of mugging is being invented here.Always be alert.
Finally it was my alertness which saved me.Else I would also had been a sitting duck like the other two poor bikers.
Old 9th March 2011, 21:07   #770
BHPian

Bangalore has become a mugger's paradise. Quite a paranoid feeling not knowing what's in store, before leaving home each day. Its your presence of mind that saved you today.

Adding to the thugs and other anti-social elements in the society, its painful to see village folks getting into this. Though there is no point in classifying these low-lifes, based on their origin (village/city/town or whatever). Still, it kind of gives a sunken feeling. There are these nomadic groups around that area who are into stone carving and stuff. Probably, they were part of some similar group.

The days are not far away before these fellas barge into the house and loot you at knife point, just like how it was in some of the civil war torn African countries.

Last edited by jeeva : 9th March 2011 at 21:11.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2011, 21:24   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Saw a new form of mugging today.Was coming back from office,situated in whitefield, on my bullet and usually take the shortcut which is a bylane just left of ITPL which goes and connects to the marthalli road, near the shell petrol pump.This road is a typicial village pass kind of road with typical barren stretches in between.

On one such small stretch saw whole crowd of villagers(mostly women and few grown up kids along with them)were walking right in the middle of the road.
Hmm... I take this route everyday. Thanks for information. Will have to be careful.

Was the incident happened near the School?
Old 9th March 2011, 21:30   #772
BHPian

Quote:
So horrifying @#$&%##$$!!
Is this the road which also reaches GE Tech Center & the Accenture office?
If yes, this was my routine road till Dec

Glad to know you saved yourself, Alter_Ego. During that time, was there no car moving? What was the time- dark enough? Usually there will be 2-3 cars within a span of 1-2 mins.

High time, I inform other colleagues about this!!
Old 9th March 2011, 21:38   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by animdas View Post

Glad to know you saved yourself, Alter_Ego. During that time, was there no car moving? What was the time- dark enough? Usually there will be 2-3 cars within a span of 1-2 mins.

Very close escape alter_ego

Yes i guess this is the road which starts from ITPL back gate and leads all the way to the shell petrol pump on varthur main raod. There are 2 deviations in between.One deviation takes you to whitefield main road.The other deviation leads you to accenture/GE/Igate. A lot of my colleagues use this road. I need to warn them asap.
Old 9th March 2011, 21:48   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Bangalore has become a mugger's paradise. Quite a paranoid feeling not knowing what's in store, before leaving home each day.
The days are not far away before these fellas barge into the house and loot you at knife point, just like how it was in some of the civil war torn African countries.
Very true Jeeva.Now its the law of the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Hmm... I take this route everyday. Thanks for information. Will have to be careful.

Was the incident happened near the School?
akas,
This happened way before.Where there are some concrete mixers parked.Just after the small hutments/slums but before the road joins the one coming from GE side.

Now that I think It was more like a flash mob kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animdas View Post

@Animdas, yeah spread the word buddy.
It was not dark at all.The time was around 5pm and I was rushing home to avoid the peak hour ORR traffic.Usually not many cars take this route since there is a small lane in between where only one car can pass in one direction at a time.So usually four wheelers avoid this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortechie
Very close escape alter_ego

Yes i guess this is the road which starts from ITPL back gate and leads all the way to the shell petrol pump on varthur main raod. There are 2 deviations in between.One deviation takes you to whitefield main road.The other deviation leads you to accenture/GE/Igate. A lot of my colleagues use this road. I need to warn them asap.
Bingo.Thats the exact route motortechie.Thanks for point it out.I was not able to articulate this route nicely here.

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 9th March 2011 at 22:33.
Old 10th March 2011, 01:28   #775
BHPian

Such a relief. I am moving to Pune next week.

Bye bye Bangalore muggers and buggers..!
Old 10th March 2011, 02:56   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Welcome to pune muggers and buggers?
Old 10th March 2011, 07:50   #777
BHPian

Quote:

Really cursing myself for not taking my Safari today as I was in a hurry and was in no mood to sit and dream stuck in traffic
@Alter_Ego : This incident could have happened even if you had taken your safari. They could have easily blocked the road as there are stretches where only one car could pass at a time.Since you had a 2 wheeler you were able to escape .I am now sure how easy it would have been able to escape if you were in the safari. It is best to avoid this road completely. Use the main road. I know the traffic is slow moving on the main road. It is definitely better to be stuck in slow moving traffic than stuck with muggers. Drive Safe.
Old 10th March 2011, 09:51   #778
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Welcome to pune muggers and buggers?
Finally some humour in this full of stress and strain thread.
Mugging se bachna mushkil hi nahin namumkin hai no matter where you go in India.Specially where people know that you are from IT and your pockets are full of cash.God know why people think so about IT folks.
Old 10th March 2011, 10:03   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Finally some humour in this full of stress and strain thread.
Mugging se bachna mushkil hi nahin namumkin hai no matter where you go in India.Specially where people know that you are from IT and your pockets are full of cash.God know why people think so about IT folks.
I have a better idea, which I am following for some days and its working too, I am putting my laptop bag in the boot, have a fresh set of clothes for office at back seat, wearing a full crushed t-shirt, an old jeans, a sandal, and no one is looking at me even the TVS champ guy thinks I am a poor paid driver. My office security was shocked to see me like that on the 1st day but now they know it and few of my friends are also doing to. I thought lets try this trick 1st rather than pepper spray/air gun/ other kind of weapons.

Last edited by asdon : 10th March 2011 at 10:04.
Old 10th March 2011, 10:33   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I have a better idea, which I am following for some days and its working too, I am putting my laptop bag in the boot, have a fresh set of clothes for office at back seat, wearing a full crushed t-shirt, an old jeans, a sandal, and no one is looking at me even the TVS champ guy thinks I am a poor paid driver. My office security was shocked to see me like that on the 1st day but now they know it and few of my friends are also doing to. I thought lets try this trick 1st rather than pepper spray/air gun/ other kind of weapons.
I don't agree to not be myself anymore and to pretend to be somebody else.
Rather I would have a fist fight and go home with a broken nose
And still have some self respect left.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks