Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 11:38   #721
BANNED

Re: Belandur Junction report - thugs in an OMNI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The thing to do during such incidents is if you are a eye witness side with the party who is in the right. Instead of driving off without caring for the others.

If more people start supporting the one in the right these scum will learn their lesson.

Its our indifference that such elements are preying on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver2000 View Post
The crowd in my favour was a big help. From now on, I will try to help as a passerby if I see such incidents. My reason is simple - all of us are too busy with our own lives to stop/help. If at least one of us starts helping another one in deed, at least that one person will benefit. Maybe, it will lead to others.. lets see!
I had said the same thing about a year back when all this mugging nonsense started.

The other day, stopped to help a Honda City guy who was being bullied to pay up for a moron on two wheels. The bike guy was overtaking from the left when the Honda City was turning left with indicators on much before the turn. I was right behind both of them. The bike guy sheepishly went off, it was just me and the Honda City guy against the crowd. But one guy in support with the person in the right was all it took. I even mentioned take it to police and I will come to court if required. This drained out all the bravado from the bike guy.
Old 7th February 2011, 15:12   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post
I keep thinking the same. I even almost bought an airgun in Udaipur. You don;t find that many gun shops in Bangalore.
Goto Kalasipalayam and you will find a whole mall and streets selling all kind of ammo that you would have not even imagined in your wildest dreams.From normal airrifles to scope fitted snipers.
And Kalasipalayam is very much in Bangalore

Quote:
Thanks, mate. I didn't stop at the Bellandur junction on purpose. The reasoning: I thought this might be a situation with a few thugs in the car, and maybe a couple of them on the road too - its their 'territory'. Hence tried moving farther away into another crowded area.
Yeah that was some quick presence of mind.I really did not anticipate in that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I even mentioned take it to police and I will come to court if required. This drained out all the bravado from the bike guy.
If only we had more people who think in this direction.

Anyways to be back on the topic is the biker gang on the sleep mode or just preparing for the next strike as the biker gang mugging reports have reduced a lot.

And yes next time I see any situation as mentioned by Spitfire or Driver I promise to myself that the brakes would be slammed on my Safari at least.

High time we stand up for each other.As Driver2000 said, Lets bring back the good old Bangalore.
Old 8th February 2011, 10:34   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Goto Kalasipalayam and you will find a whole mall and streets selling all kind of ammo that you would have not even imagined in your wildest dreams.From normal airrifles to scope fitted snipers.
And Kalasipalayam is very much in Bangalore

Air rifles, may be ..but Scope fitted Snipers on streets of kalasipalyam? which shop ?

afiak , you need a license to own any "scope fitted sniper" unlike a normal airgun
Old 8th February 2011, 14:19   #724
NFS
BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Quote:
Wanted to share it in this forum, for folks to be generally careful. My learnings:
a) Being cool and talking back in a normal voice is a big help. The crowd around can side with you, or at least not add to the confusion.
b) The rowdies will try to shout you down. Thats their favourite weapon - multiple people, and trying to shout at you. While I did not shout back, maybe thats a counter tactic.
c) Easier said than done - but being cool is a big help. Be mentally prepared with what you will do in such situations. I knew of the incidents, and had earlier decided I wouldnt stop, and try to talk my way out of the situation. Being 'prepared' helped me execute it to an extent when I was faced with the shouting down and confusion creating incidents.

The crowd in my favour was a big help. From now on, I will try to help as a passerby if I see such incidents. My reason is simple - all of us are too busy with our own lives to stop/help. If at least one of us starts helping another one in deed, at least that one person will benefit. Maybe, it will lead to others.. lets see!
I am learning to keep cool in such situations and your explanation of the incident further helps me get over my anger and loud voice. Thanks!

As you said, help of crowd is very important, but unfortunately the bigger vehicle never gets this, especially here in Chennai or anywhere in Kerala (IMO).

As you said, we are too busy to help, but there was one incident where I was the witness of a very very small traffic incident (will not call it an accident).

A Cycle using the wrong side of the road near a small junction on four lane highway bumped on to a two wheeler who was trying to enter the traffic by looking behind to see the vehicle approaching the junction. The moment cycle hit the bike, the person on the cycle started yelling at this bike rider. I watched the situation for a minute and found that the biker was loosing his patience and the argument going really high. I just made one sentence to the cycle rider "you are arguing and yelling to someone, even though you came in the wrong side of the road, ha?". That is it! no more arguments, the entire conversation stopped. The biker thanked me and moved on.

So please help people when you are able to. At least they will keep some good learning from it and help someone when they are the witness.
Attached Images

Old 8th February 2011, 14:51   #725
BHPian

I faced a similar situation near Kundalahalli junction a few months back. I was behind a Spark on my two wheeler when i noticed a guy on a splendor overtaking vehicles in all kinds of zig zag movement and then he reached a point where he was behind a truck and the Spark was just beside the truck with very little gap between the front of the car and the rear of the truck.
Now, all the vehicles had stopped for the signal and had just started moving slowly when the bike guy decided he could not wait for the traffic to clear, so he took a 90 degree turn in the middle of the road and tried to squeeze between the truck and the car. As expected, his front tyre came under the front right tyre of the Spark and he fell down. When he got up, he started arguing with the car guy, as expected. I shouted at him and told him it was his mistake. That did it coz he stopped arguing and started his bike and left immediately.
Old 8th February 2011, 16:22   #726
Senior - BHPian

Bluru is second to Delhi which is first on crimes in India. Blore has come a long way.
Old 9th February 2011, 12:32   #727
BHPian

I've been following this thread for sometime and thought I'll take time to share something that happened to my cousin three weeks ago.
This guy works for a company on the Outer Ring Road and comes home around 2 - 3AM. He usually comes near the KR Puram Station and then takes a short cut to get to TC Palya. Now this short cut may not be known much, its bang under the old rail overbridge, the one which existed before the cable bridge was built. Quite a secluded area with bushes and a narrow road in between. On one such night as he was riding on this road, suddenly out of the bushes come two masked guys swinging wooden logs at him, one from left and the other from right. My cousin somehow ducks and upshifts (all impulsive), these guys start running behind him swinging away. A few metres ahead emerge two more guys, same positions, same mask. My cousin starts shouting at them and tries to zig zag and duck to avoid the logs. Guess what happens next, a fifth guy comes out from further and swings. Cousin somehow manages to speed up and reach the intended main road, too shaken to stop, but looks in the rear view mirror and it's all darkness. All this happens within 10-15 seconds.
Immediately goes to the KR Puram Police Station and reports. As usual cops tell him he was foolish to come on that road in the night, which he agrees to. They flash a message to the Hoysala Patrol who immediately start for the location. My cousin is too shaken and just comes home.
Well, the miracle is that not a single blow landed on him. Now, for one guy on a motorcycle (Libero) to dodge five armed men on a narrow, dark road is highly improbable. Even if one swing of the log had landed on him, who knows what would have happened next. But by God's Grace, he escaped without a scratch. We're sure it was some divine intervention that night...it took him a few days to come to terms with this incident.
So much for our Bengaluru!
Old 9th February 2011, 12:52   #728
Senior - BHPian

That is one scary incident, and it is really his good fortune and alertness that he didnotget hurt. Life is having very less value these days. It shows more that money is being considered more important than human life & limb
This is an eye opener for us to avoid empty and unlit roads unless we can maintain steady speeds. Some thugs also use distractions like a fallen bike to get people to stop. Unfortunately this prevents people from stopping to help real accident victims
Old 9th February 2011, 13:08   #729
BHPian

The term "Bangalore'd" was often used in US & Europe when a project gets offshored to India. Now that offshoring is all so common across the world and other third world countries in the fray as well, may be it is time to reuse the term "Bangalore'd" for "getting mugged".

GTABOMBAY's thread on his stolen Pajero, clearly exposes the nexus between the police and the thieves. Looking at the continued extend of mugging incidents in Bangalore, I'm forced to believe that many in Bangalore police is hand in glove with the mugging gangs.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:16   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
This is an eye opener for us to avoid empty and unlit roads unless we can maintain steady speeds. Some thugs also use distractions like a fallen bike to get people to stop. Unfortunately this prevents people from stopping to help real accident victims
+1.

Really getting thoughtful on helping anyone in night.
Old 9th February 2011, 16:07   #731
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
+1.

Really getting thoughtful on helping anyone in night.
I feel awful when I see someone possibly stranded on the road and my mind says "Don't stop. Might be a trap". The worst part, it's true more often than not.

A few years ago, I tried to help a hit & run victim (not badly injured) and he very conveniently tried to blame it on me, as there were no witnesses to the incident I gave him a description and the number of the offending vehicle, and drove off.

One safe remedy is to find the nearest crowd or police post and inform them to help the stranded people. Much better than taking a chance yourself and getting mugged.
Old 10th February 2011, 02:26   #732
Senior - BHPian

My company has given its employees a special number internal to the company to call up in case of an emergency. It is not a local police station or anything like that. It is like a helpline for its employees in case of emergency situations.
Anyone else have their companies give them numbers ?
Old 10th February 2011, 15:21   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
My company has given its employees a special number internal to the company to call up in case of an emergency. It is not a local police station or anything like that. It is like a helpline for its employees in case of emergency situations.
Pervez, thats an interesting concept. Can you please share more info about this - what help is provided when someone calls this number? Also, if you can help dig in a little more - how is it staffed and so on? Will look to see if we can setup something similar in our companies as well. Thanks!
Old 10th February 2011, 19:28   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Am sure it would not be in India. I am yet to know of any Indian co's (even MNC's) do anything of such sort. Or may be I am too myopic of the whole situation. Anybody working in Namma Bengaluru have this luxury? oops I mean facility offerred by their work places?
Old 10th February 2011, 19:57   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pervez, thats an interesting concept. Can you please share more info about this - what help is provided when someone calls this number? Also, if you can help dig in a little more - how is it staffed and so on? Will look to see if we can setup something similar in our companies as well. Thanks!
They have not disclosed how it is going to work but it surely says during a personal crisis/emergency call xxxx number. I am sorry that sitting here I cannot dig out how it works internally, but if could, I wouldn't be at liberty to discuss it here due to privacy, company internal policies etc etc.
What I am guessing and could turn out to be a good guess is that, there might be a Sumo something on standby, and for any emergency, the employees would be reached in that parallely alerting the local emergency police number, fire brigades ambulances etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Am sure it would not be in India. I am yet to know of any Indian co's (even MNC's) do anything of such sort. Or may be I am too myopic of the whole situation. Anybody working in Namma Bengaluru have this luxury? oops I mean facility offerred by their work places?
This is in India.

Most Viewed