Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2011, 20:44   #661
BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Sorry for being off topic, Mods please remove the post if found inappropriate.
Mugging is not limited to roads, it happens in residential complexes too.
I stay in complex which was in news around the Christmas holidays for all the wrong reasons. The complex in question has about 30% of the apartments owned by the land owners and has almost 70 apartments under their possession. There was ongoing problems with them as they wont pay maintenance charges in time or at all, maintenance deposit is not paid at all, they wont use the parking stickers inside complex, their visitors not make entry in visitor's register etc.
But things took a very ugly turn around Christmas time when the kidnapped the estate manager of the complex as was badly beaten up. You can read the complete story in the following links.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/artic...g-complex.html

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/artic...all-rules.html

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/artic...complaint.html
Old 11th January 2011, 22:07   #662
BHPian

I came to know about a Mugging incident which happened to a friends friend last week. This happened between 11-12 pm in the night when this guy was returning back from office. He was stopped by two guys a black pulser and was swindled about 15k from his bank account. He just did not had any one with him nor could shout for help since they pointed a knife at him. They have even told him that he works for so and so company and his house number is XXX and the lane he lives. This only means that they are targeting the individuals who spend long working hours at office and travel late at night. Outer Ring Road should be renamed now as the "Road to Hell" or "Road through Hell"
Old 11th January 2011, 22:15   #663
Senior - BHPian

Is this a first hand knowledge, I.e. did you hear it from himself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
This happened between 11-12 pm in the night when this guy was returning back from office.
Was he in a car?
Old 12th January 2011, 08:49   #664
Team-BHP Support

I was right, check today's Bangalore mirror. There were 3 incidences on Monday night, in all cases bikers attacked techies. In two cases techies shouted back and the thugs ran away. But one Oracle chap quietly paid up.
Old 12th January 2011, 09:43   #665
Team-BHP Support

Cops advice is stupid - get out of car!!! The car is the most secure environment as long as you lock doors. Worst case, put car in first gear and push the bike out of the way. If you hit them at speed , you get damage. Merely push them from stationary, you will get some minor scratches.

This was told to me from someone who taught drivers to avoid hijacks
Old 12th January 2011, 10:06   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Merely push them from stationary, you will get some minor scratches.
If you do that you'll end up creating evidence for what they have been after you. The safest bet is to have the law and order machinery geared up to its name's worth! If the police mean business they can set up some bait-cars and catch the miscreants in no time. Will they ever do it is the zillion-dollar question.
Old 12th January 2011, 11:15   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
I have decided to not stop if they try to knock on my window and if they try to block my way then lord save them.I drive a Tata Safari and I am going to reclaim my life .....
+1 to that.I love this line.
I'd not stop in any case and if I had to run over a anti social element,so be it.
I'd rather drive straight to a police station and admit that I ran over a human by accident
Old 12th January 2011, 11:21   #668
BHPian

ORRCA has setup a helpline number for this purpose in an effort to nab those muggers.

Details, refer to Citizen Matters: Bangalore News, Views & Opinions
Old 12th January 2011, 11:46   #669
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
ORRCA has setup a helpline number for this purpose in an effort to nab those muggers.

Details, refer to Citizen Matters: Bangalore News, Views & Opinions
This brilliant. I don't know how effective but along with calling the police this is another number that can be used.
Old 12th January 2011, 12:08   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Cops advice is stupid - get out of car!!! The car is the most secure environment as long as you lock doors.
May be the cops are getting their share from these muggers.

Come on...The criminals involved does not appear to be hardened dacoits armed with guns or anything...these are just plain jobless scums feeding on some gullible people... Isn't it outright stupid that Bangalore Police has not nabbed them so far even after so many of their "public performances".

Snip from one of the recent ordeals as published in my community mail list.

Quote:
Dear All

Since R##### has emailed the group , I am compelled to update the group on the developments but before I do that, I guess I and my family was fortunate enough that we escaped past with no damage done thru the incident. Hence no worries on that count as I have had a few calls and mails from friends post R#####'s email to the group. Here is the not-so-sensational story.
Two guys on a black bike suddenly crossed my car (shouting and screaming that I had hit someone while taking a U turn opposite Springfields ) while I was driving past Spencer?s and before Total Mall on Sarjapur Road.
This was around 7.30 pm. My wife was a co passenger in the car.
I jammed the breaks and these guys parked the bike a little ahead. I actually got out of the Car to argue but even before I could utter a word, a fat goon appeared from nowhere and started abusing that I had damaged a vehicle and hit somebody near Sarjapur Road junction. It immediately flashed then to me that these guys could be the ?mugger gang? & thankfully , I just sat back in the car and flew ( Yes, flew and not drove ) off even before they could realize what happened. Basically, I had taken a U turn at Springfields and never went to Sarjapur Road junction and hence their Fat Lie, made me realize so.
The fat goon did try to bang his hand on the Car but I guess fast reflex helped me fly the car faster. The bike guys tried to follow but I guess I rallied past faster and I actually stopped the maverick driving only after WIPRO by which time they had disappeared.

Post R#####'s email on the group, Bangalore Mirror has called me and I must say the lady correspondent expressed utter disappointment on finding out NOTHING happened to me/us and she doesn?t have a sensation to report
Reminds me of Peepli Live Can?t blame them as they have a job to do as reporters but I am glad they are at least reporting the incident that?s causing grave concerns to residents of Sarjapur and Sarjapur Outer Ring Road Area.

While we need to work with the HSR Police and keep them posted, we can not expect cops to be around all the time. This could be a gang of multiple people or multiple gangs operating at the same time. There are different stories on their modus operandi, attack non Karnataka registration vehicles, attack Non Kannada speaking population ( they make out with first argument ) , attack IT folks with laptops in Car etc etc. However, I think, It is part truth and part randomness in these theories. Net effect is the scare regimen they create. However, the essential advantage they take is the fact that all of us are rushing through our lives with lack of time, bothered about our own selves and family welfare and being the urban educated mass, we will not confront them. I can visualize and empathize with an isolated victim but to be a VICTIM in broad daylight with thousands of people around is something I can not fathom for the life of me and I would be a part of the team that must take the blame for letting this situation be created for us. Without getting more philosophical, my loud and clear suggestion is We create a mass campaign through mailers to all Resident Welfare Association Groups as also by word of mouth.
Let us call these gang/s as ?MUGGERS?. Let us create an awareness that anyone caught into this situation must garner guts and shout aloud MUGGERS MUGGERS many times for people to hear.
If we hear any resident shout MUGGERS on Sarjapur, Sarjapur Outer Ring Road, Harlur Road, etc, any of us around ( at least 10 to 15 people but even 4/5 will do ) must reach for immediate help and beat the daylight out of these robbers and muggers. They must get the taste of their medicine and must get into a scare regimen even at the thought of day light robbery.
We should then hand them over to Police . We do not leave it there. We file and pursue a case so that they remain behind bars.
We take precautions. We try and avoid getting into a situation. But God Forbid, if we are trapped into it, Let us ? Self Protect ? . I am requesting Forward 150 to start ? Beat the Daylight out of MUGGERS? project campaign.
Till then, Safe driving and Best wishes.

Thanks and Best Regards
S****

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 12th January 2011 at 12:18.
Old 12th January 2011, 13:38   #671
Team-BHP Support

All those who are worried about bikers hijacking them from their cars, follow the simple rule of keeping car locked, and remember
1. Only in Hollywood movies can a pistol hit a target in a moving car every time. Even if they point a gun the accuracy is very less, unless close range.
2. A car weights more than 10 times than a bike. Its a weapon much powerful than a knife use it.
3. So when a bike stops and confronts you with a knife, confront them with the acc. pedal

A few such wannabe thugs under the wheels, and this mugging problem will be solved for good. Time to reclaim your life and stop running scared.
Old 12th January 2011, 13:50   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is the most secure environment as long as you lock doors.
You are right Ajit. Keeping yourself inside your locked car is the safest, if you feel he is going to break your glass, then find a way around these thugs and drive off. You can side swipe or reverse for a while and change directions, there are plenty of ways, but the most important thing is to keep your cool and not get flustered. Always think that you can win this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A few such wannabe thugs under the wheels, and this mugging problem will be solved for good. Time to reclaim your life and stop running scared.
Though I agree with most of your points, I do not agree with this one. No one in his sane mind even when his life is threatened would do this. This is the most gruesome act for any sane person to do.
Old 12th January 2011, 14:51   #673
BHPian

Adding to this.
+1. We also needs to be united in this kind of Situation. If possible stop and try to help the other. Typically we IT guys lacks the unity compare to other sector people. 2-4 reverse trashing may resolve the issue permanently. Need public dhulai

No Offense to IT prof ...
Old 12th January 2011, 15:05   #674
Team-BHP Support

What amazes me more is that despite there being so many repeated claims from victims and nearly-victims that the vehicles used by these thugs had registration only in Kannada, nothing(?!!!!) has been done by cops to curb this practice!

You still find many 2 wheelers with the number written in Kannada, despite this being illegal as per the MVA. with the cops being more interested in out-of-state registered vehicles and road tax, this is of no importance to them, it would seem.

EDIT:
Guys, here is a pic which i had clicked on Sarjapur road on the 29th of December at 3:59PM. In the pic you can find a Pulsar with the number plate in Kannada and two goon-like morons atop it. Here, they can be seen riding beside a cyclist who happens to be female.

Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported-sarjapurroad.jpg

I do not remember the sequence of events, but i just clicked this pic on instinct. I hope this pic is of use to someone.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 12th January 2011 at 15:17.
Old 12th January 2011, 18:40   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
+1 to that.I love this line.
I'd not stop in any case and if I had to run over a anti social element,so be it.
I'd rather drive straight to a police station and admit that I ran over a human by accident
Totally agree to that buddy.Lets get rid of the wimp tag.forever.There is a limit to everything.We refuse to be mugged like this.I am ready to take a blow.But if I am going down, then I am going down with them.

Just imagine.Would we have given up so easily if we were in our own native states of MP, UP, Kerala, Delhi,TN and whereever.We would have fought back and argued and created a scene.Let the lack of local language not be our enemy.This is India and its our fundamental right to stay in any part of this country with our head held high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Though I agree with most of your points, I do not agree with this one. No one in his sane mind even when his life is threatened would do this. This is the most gruesome act for any sane person to do.
Why woudnt one do it.Just pushing the vehicle aside is just a threat.The equivalent of the same stuff which they apply when they swing their helmets onto our windshields.Ever driver who is capable of driving on bangalore roads knows how to scrape the other vehicle without harming the driver.And escape to the nearest Police station. Even if , as someone mentioned, that this would act as evidence against us then its good.I am ready to pay a fine of 500 rupees in court for this act of damaging his vehicle.No court will question the intent as no motive can be proved.And no mugger will drag us to the court.It would be his loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
What amazes me more is that despite there being so many repeated claims from victims and nearly-victims that the vehicles used by these thugs had registration only in Kannada, nothing(?!!!!) has been done by cops to curb this practice!
Benny rightly said bro.I myself see at least 4-5 kannada registered bikers daily on my route to ITPL via varthur and everytime i see one on my OVRM, my mind automatically ensures that my foot is right on the accelerotor and hands tightly on the grip.I have become more paranoid after reading about so many daily occurances.Now even if might have hit someone for real,unkowningly and some genuine guy tries to stop me, I might as well run him over too

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 12th January 2011 at 18:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks