Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2010, 00:30   #46
BHPian

Just 2-3 months back in Bangalore some thief on a bike pulled my wifes cellphone from her hand and pushed her. This is in broad daylight at 1 PM afternoon and in a pretty decent area - Modi Hospital. And to top it he menancingly kept shaking the cell phone in front of her as he rushed back to his bike. My wife got so rattled, till date she shudders if reminded of this incident.

But dont you guys think crime rate has kinda become too too common now. I mean in my childhood I had heard of incidents like night time burglary etc. But whats happening now in broad daylight is pretty scary. I guess earlier there were no gadgets to flick, it was plain ol' gold or cash. Now with laptops and cell phones costing 20-30K bucks its easy pickings for these thieves. And disposing these items for cash would also be pretty easy for these guys!
Old 9th May 2010, 05:08   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I remember one more incident which happened in Gandhi Bazar area. My cook ( from orrisa ) got into a small accident when his cycle touched a motorcyle, apparantly there wasnt even a scratch. The middle aged men on the bike robbed him of his mobile phone and if that was not enough they hit him with a sharp object on his ear, which we later had to get stiched. Seeing all the comotion a cop stopped by, when he complained that they have taken his phone, the cop did not bother and those men leave. The poor fellow speaks lil bit of broken Kannada, but the cops did not even acknowledge his plea for help.
Old 9th May 2010, 06:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I have got robbed by two thugs at Silk Board at 4pm. So, to all those people who say, I stayed X years in Bangalore and nothing happened, hope it remains that way.

And I do not understand what the heck is the issue with anyone maintaining their identity? Whats with advice of "blending in"? Talk about having a very narrow view of things!!!
getting robbed and taken advantage of , is two different things.
"Blending in " is for the latter. People who generally take advantage of you are
greedy cops,auto guys sometimes bystanders(say while asking directions,they might try to make a buck or two by acting all extra "interested" for your cause. they sometimes will accompany you to your address and in the ending they will ask you for cash).

Seriously man
If i was robbing someone(speaking Hypothetically of course) i wouldn't care even he was from Nigeria , as long as he is rich

Hope Things are cleared out
Old 9th May 2010, 13:32   #49
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
getting robbed and taken advantage of , is two different things.
"Blending in " is for the latter. People who generally take advantage of you are
greedy cops,auto guys sometimes bystanders(say while asking directions,they might try to make a buck or two by acting all extra "interested" for your cause. they sometimes will accompany you to your address and in the ending they will ask you for cash).

Seriously man
If i was robbing someone(speaking Hypothetically of course) i wouldn't care even he was from Nigeria , as long as he is rich

Hope Things are cleared out
Quote:
@heavy foot.
its all about appearances. If you dress up like a tourist or behave like you are new in town chances are you will be taken advantage of.
Let it be auto drivers,Bystanders or even criminals.
First Rule of staying in any area is try to "Blend In". I have seen auto guys(even cop guys) taking 'n' number of my friends from places apart from Bangalore/Karnataka.
I think we are discussing mugging and robbing in Bangalore, and IMO mugging in a way it is taking advantage of a helpless victim. Are you trying to say that people who have not " blended in " enough should not come out on the streets in Bangalore? Mugging victims are not always "non locals".

On a lighter note if you were robbing someone (speaking Hypothetically of course) you better be vary of some one who is from Nigeria and rich !! they account to the biggest no of drug trafficers in India and around the world.
Old 9th May 2010, 13:33   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
While one should admit that mugging do happen in Bangalore, he should also understand that lot of stories are fabricated and played out in imaginations. I have been living in Bangalore for 11 years and have never come across any such incidents personally. The only thing stolen are the steel valve caps of my car tyres. On the contrary on my recent one month visit to US, Some one broke the side window of my rented car and flicked the GPS on day 2 itself. The car being parked right in front of the hotel where I was staying.
So what? Shall we overlook incidents in bangalore saying "aaah.. forget it, it happens in US too".

Also let me say, this kind of attitude is found only in people who are in bangalore.

I haven't heard of people from other places saying.. "Oh in Bangalore the auto drivers are mere hooligans and rapists. Thank God, auto drivers in our place are only thieves, let them be"

Quote:
Seriously man
t
You sure you would budge into someone who is from Nigeria? you are brave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
I think we are discussing mugging and robbing in Bangalore, and IMO mugging in a way it is taking advantage of a helpless victim. Are you trying to say that people who have not " blended in " enough should not come out on the streets in Bangalore? Mugging victims are not always "non locals".
You know, the moment you speak fact about Bangalore.. All Bangalore lovers come over with only 1 clarification "It happens in XXXXXX place also"

BTW he is true, you do "blend in" if someone is throwing eggs on your windshield, or someone pounces in front of your car, and you get out to see what the hell just happened. This is called "Blending in"

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 9th May 2010 at 13:42.
Old 9th May 2010, 22:04   #51
Senior - BHPian

the reason why keep on insisting to "Blend in" because in each and every city in the world, There are places which are rather dangerous and off limits to many.

"Blending in" with other people will help you know about those places to stay away.
I have Idiots from my college who traveled through the ORR around 12-1 am in the Night just for a smokes on two wheelers(4 guys on 2 bikes) and ended up getting mugged by eunuchs ,lost a few cellphones and some cash!! and they came over and started whining regarding how unsafe this place is compared to their home town etc .

I have already mentioned in my previous posts , Common sense >>all
Bangalore , According to me is a safe place(there is no place in the world with a population of over 1 million(yes i have to mention this point as some "smart" people will pull out names of places with a population <1000 where basically every one knows each other) where there is 0% crime rate,safety depends on the percentage of crimes committed in a given area,lower the better) to live in Period(unless i get mugged by some criminal , then probably i will start whining on this thread)

Now some people will say, "I was walking on MG road and I got mugged at 2 am, i was walking in an isolated strech in commercial street in broad daylight and i got mugged(have friends to whom this happened,it was maybe not daylight robbery but two men appeared to them and said give me your gold chain and they simply gave it and walked away)." . Well i cannot possibly give any comments on that as its your personal experience and your actions led to you being mugged(why walk at 2am in the night,why not do the smart thing by just walking away? etc etc).

Last edited by vinaydas : 9th May 2010 at 22:12.
Old 9th May 2010, 22:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

^^^^^ You don't really get the point, do you?

I would really like to know how you would react in the situations you mentioned. Easy to type, not easy when you are there for real.

Here's more about Bangalore!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ing-night.html

Last edited by DRIV3R : 9th May 2010 at 22:23.
Old 9th May 2010, 22:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

seriously i can't understand many on this forum.
Its called an opinion people and everyone's got a different one.
Just because its happened to someone it doesn't always mean that it is going to happen to you.

@Driver i have been in many a situations than the average "Bangalorean", Drunk fights(getting caught in one, not being in one , FYI i don't drink ) , riots, Attempted robbery(House),Threats from people,Fights on the road related to road rage etc but yet to be mugged at knife point(hope not). Basically what im trying to say is Im a person who as seen and been in many situations .

I do get the point and the seriousness of the situation much better than most people on this forum and i do know how to handle the situation if such arises(even if it sometimes means giving up your wallet and walking away).

P.S
This is getting really irritating , as i have to keep on typing my views (which are the same and cannot be changed) again and again and people don't get my view on this situation.ITS called an opinion people and no one can change my opinion but myself (yes Im rather stubborn at such matters)

Vinay
Old 9th May 2010, 23:52   #54
BANNED

Quote:
I have Idiots from my college who traveled through the ORR around 12-1 am in the Night just for a smokes on two wheelers(4 guys on 2 bikes) and ended up getting mugged by eunuchs ,lost a few cellphones and some cash!! and they came over and started whining regarding how unsafe this place is compared to their home town etc .
You take the cake and the pudding and all of the Anand sweets in Bangalore.

I had a good laugh.

So its safe if you always stay in the house thats commonsense man we arent arguing that. HA HA HA HA HA..

Maybe the OP who started the thread should advide his friend to stay put in the house. Why only him all of us should stay inside our houses not venture out ever and VOLIA we are in the safest city in the whole universe.

Amazing man. I have tears in my eyes laughing so bad.
Old 10th May 2010, 00:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if anand sweets serve cakes and puddings!! they do serve excellent Mysore Pak
sticking to topic.
some times it is safer to stay home than go into dangerous ventures like the one mentioned
Old 10th May 2010, 01:12   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have been in many a situations than the average "Bangalorean", Drunk fights(getting caught in one, not being in one , FYI i don't drink ) , riots, Attempted robbery(House), Attempted robbery(House),Threats from people,...............................
Quote:
some times it is safer to stay home than go into dangerous ventures like the one mentioned
You love contradicting yourself, don't you? Why was there an attempted robbery in your "safe" house situated in "safe" bangalore?

Quote:
Basically what im trying to say is Im a person who as seen and been in many situations .
Oh really? You do go out of your house often then!
Old 10th May 2010, 01:27   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Don't tell me. I have done the same in college, and trust me, these muggers don't have the balls to even come closer if they see 3-4 like us together. Perhaps your friends are REALLY stupid. Going out at 12-1 am with 4 friends and still getting mugged? They should be prepared if they knew Bangalore well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas
some "smart" people will pull out names of places with a population <1000 where basically every one knows each other) where there is 0% crime rate,safety depends on the percentage of crimes committed
Ha ha.. it was you who took names like 'Delhi' and 'Mumbai'. FYI - Bangalore is not even 1/2 of both these states.
Old 10th May 2010, 01:28   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Why run away from facts/reality?

I would like to add that the thread definitely has a purpose and experiences by fellow BHPians is doing justice to the title very aptly.

One of my lady colleagues at work got mugged at 6-30pm by an Auto-driver and another accomplice who got into the rick after a while she had boarded. This happened on a well lit road with good traffic. Poor her, the reason she took the rick was to save 15-20 minutes due to her newborn kid at home by taking the normal road to her destination from a drop point instead of the office bus taking a detour as the usual route. Lost her wallet with cash, credit cards and her cellphone too!!

So, should we then ask everyone to stay indoors and not venture out even at 6-30pm on a "Typical" road ( I am not referring to IRR/ORR here)??

Even today, Mumbaikars do advise visitors to be extra cautious while traveling by the local train due to pick pockets but none will advise to never take the train at all. All this because it happens. So lets accept what is happening here too. The experiences here are not cooked up stories anyways.

On this forum folks are open to create identical threads on various other cities. (of course, we will then have arguments like the online presence of BHPians in Bangalore is more compared to other cities) but what the heck?I Have seen BHPians contributing equally to threads like "Guide to Eating out in Mumbai/Pune/HYD" etc. So why not on similar topics? If there are incidents, I am sure someone will start a thread and replies shall pour.

I've never been into such a situation (touchwood) but I have always read reports in newspapers about incidents from the very road I would've travelled the previous day/night. Just because it hasnt happened to me, I will never ever call the place safe as long as reports or experiences like these keep coming in.

By the way, the incident mentioned by myself has happened at 6-30pm and the stretch mentioned definitely cannot be categorized as unsafe at that time of the day & may be the first of its kind on that road.

Eventually, more and more incidents/experiences like these from across localities of the city would essentially mean that it is better off remaining indoors all the times!

Remember Chain snatching in RR Nagar, Vijaynagar/ Mugging in HSR Layout & BTM Layout/Attention diversion tactics right outside the bank & robbing? These were quite "regularly" reported by various newspapers (esp. TOI) and I would never turn a blind eye and would then start thinking if the city is safe at all?

End of it all, It can/may happen in other cities too but the topic is on getting mugged by various methods in "Bangalore" (which itself is a fact accepted by many respondents including me) and we have most of them sharing their experiences which will surely help us all mutually.

We can certainly have various threads to discuss and debate on how differently one gets mugged in a so and so place.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th May 2010 at 01:35.
Old 10th May 2010, 06:45   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
You love contradicting yourself, don't you? Why was there an attempted robbery in your "safe" house situated in "safe" bangalore?

Thefts take places in High profile places Orange county and Bel Air also,only the level of professionalism of the Crooks differ.
Attempted robbery doesn't always mean your House.

Oh really? You do go out of your house often then! [/quote]

I can smell a bit of sarcasm here.Actually Its is the Inverse of your statement, I do stay Home some of the time.
Most of the time im out of the house with friends, i stay over , i come home at odd hours etc.
I live in a safe Neighbor hood (yes people wake up even if i open my Gates at 3 am to check who it is )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Don't tell me. I have done the same in college, and trust me, these muggers don't have the balls to even come closer if they see 3-4 like us together. Perhaps your friends are REALLY stupid. Going out at 12-1 am with 4 friends and still getting mugged? They should be prepared if they knew Bangalore well enough.
My point exactly
Thats what generally people talk, we are 4 young guys , no body can mess with us , lets go out for a smoke at 1 am , "we are cool" etc gets people into trouble (unless you are lucky,like yourself my friend).

Ha ha.. it was you who took names like 'Delhi' and 'Mumbai'. FYI - Bangalore is not even 1/2 of both these states
.[/quote]
FYI
Bombay aint a state. Safety of a state doesn't depend on the population of a state.

P.S
This probably is my last post on this thread, since what ever im saying or trying to express,many are listening through one ear and letting it go through another
Just because you have had a bad experience in a City doesn't mean that others will definitely experience the same, But on the contrary if you have a good experience living in a city there is a good chance others also will share the same experience.
And i will stick to my point Regarding Bangalore Being if not the safe but one of the safest to live in Period, another city which i share similar views on is Chennai.
Thanks
Vinay

Last edited by vinaydas : 10th May 2010 at 06:53.
Old 10th May 2010, 09:29   #60
BANNED

Bangalore was a safe city sometime back but definitely not so now, I think. I don't know how it compares to other cities like Mumbai, Delhi, etc.

All these incidents can be attributed to the city growing to be a major center of commerce and employment with a much bigger and diverse population. Naturally the police force has not kept up with the growth and the number of policemen per 1000 people remains the same as it was in the 80's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks