Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2010, 20:34   #511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I will narrate an incident that happened to my friend recently at Sarjapur road at broad daylight.

Location: After the Sarjapur junction and after passing the Total mall, on the curve road which has lake on the right side (which has slightly less traffic and there are no shops or presence of public); direction is driving towards Sarjapur.

Time: about 1 PM

Sequence of events:
  • A pedestrian is standing on the divider appearing to cross the road but is actually waiting for a lonely car driver.
  • I allowed him to cross the road and after I passed him heard a thud, apparently he hit my back of car with something making it as if I have hit him and injured him.
  • I did not stop the car, kept driving. After going little ahead, I see the guy whom I supposed hit as a pillion rider and another person next to my car on right side waving and shouting at me to stop saying I have injured the person. The “supposedly injured person” begins to act showing his leg that I have injured him and starts the drama as if he is in pain.
  • I tell him using hand sign to pullover to the left footpath. I did not get out of the car and as soon as I saw them getting off their motorbike, I raced the car towards my office which was nearby. The guys on motorbike catch up me and start shouting again by coming next to me on the driver side window. I again ask them to pullover to the left and repeated the trick of racing when they are alighting from the motorbike and this time I am lucky and almost near to the office gate and rushed inside.
Two of his colleagues have already been duped and mugged by these folks. Those guys will ask you to take the injured person to the hospital in your car and two/three people will get into your car and then rip you off with whatever you have.

Request those who drive on these roads to be wary of such dramas.

This is a common one in north India. You will know from the nature of the hit or the thud that this was obviously someone trying to make it sound like a hit. NEVER stop but drive away and look at the victim in your rear view mirrors. Always call the cops immediately from your mobile informing the situation, that way you will not be a hit a run guilty if the the person has been genuinely hit.

These guys target expensive car owners who are driving alone or ladies who will not get into any hassles and quickly pay up.
Old 28th August 2010, 22:44   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
2) while they are with you in the car very likely they can't steal anything from your car as long as they get off right at the end of the ride provided you've not left any tiny valuables around.
This is perhaps why people assume such acts are just kind ones and many times won't think of any potential trouble.
Stealing is one aspect. Could be some psychopath a la Manoj Bajpai's character in the movie Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
Moral here is that one should never ever allow anybody get into your car no matter what. Your own safety is more important than anything else.
Rightly said.

After hearing such instances of danger, I usually never engage people who ask for help. I ignore them and proceed on my journey. Rather selfishly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
The smart thing to do would have been to give them some 100 or 200 bucks and tell them to take an auto rickshaw and go.
Your post made me think a lot. Why do you say give them 100 bucks? Why not ignore?
Old 29th August 2010, 00:37   #513
BHPian

This Happened to me today around 3PM:

I was on my way to BTM to meet a client via Indiranagar (indiranagar - koramangala ring road), I had not stepped the flyover or crossed dell, this is much before...i was in one of the galli and there were no cars ahead or behind me, suddenly heard a noise (thud....followed by a child crying), i was shocked, i thought i hit someone, but there was no one on road. I immediately realized, something is wrong and moved fast and stopped my vehicle at main road where there was traffic and people, and to my surprise, there was thick mud (kind of clay) stuck on my door, It appeared someone hit from far and it had struck there. This was an attempt to make me get down of my car so that muggers can loot me. Thank God I didnt get down, luckily there was no scratch or dent on Door.

If you are travelling alone in this area, be careful.
Old 29th August 2010, 00:48   #514
BHPian

Where the muggers really caught???

2 Sunday's ago, there was a mugging incident on a guy who got beaten up by 6 guys on 3, 2-wheelers and jumped into an alto and escaped.

This was at 1 am at Bellandur Junction! It was in Bangalore mirror.

This was exactly A DAY AFTER THE NEWS OF the inspector arresting the mugging gang!

I still do not have much confidence.
Old 29th August 2010, 07:53   #515
BHPian

Not sure if mugging or an oversensitive victim

Friday evening returning from work I picked up my wife and were heading straight through Vaidehi Square to go past GE and emerge on Varthur road. 90% people turn right at this junction. So I did not think much of it when a biker tried to cut across to right from my left. My bumper may have merely brushed his number plate. I stopped to allow him to pass and he backed to my passenger window. I asked him what the problem was and he started speaking in Kannada. I told him I don't understand Kannada, he said why was I going straight. I told him there is a road there too if you go straight.

Then I just drove on across the square and stopped in front of GE gate to check for scratches / dents. The guy followed shouting I was bothered more about my car than his leg in english. This irritated me as I knew for sure I merely brushed him and I told him I don't care about idiots. This seemed to anger him beyond imagination. I had climbed back in my car and he blocked my path trying to stop me for a conversation.

I reversed a couple of time and finally managed to drive on. The biker gave me a chase. I thought of going into Forum Value Mall and he followed at the 4-wheeler entry and started banging at my window glass yelling '*******'. The security directed him to the 2-wheeler entry. I told security the situation and they let me out. I was thinking of leading him to whitefield police station but the right turn out of Forum exit was jammed. So I continued along Varthur lake. There was some relief in traffic after the bridge so I made a U turn there. He kept chasing me. I managed to overtake a bus just in the nick of time and this time continued towards whitefield police station.

Just across the police station I luckily found a couple of traffic cops. I pulled over there and told the cops everything. We waited for the guy to arrive but he vanished. He either did not / could not follow me or fled on seeling me with the cops.

I am not sure if he was one of the muggers or regular guy. But he sure seemed to take offence to me for his own mistakes and my saying idiot to him. I could not take down his reg no. as I had to concentrate on the road trying to outrun him in the evening traffic. But I am going to look out for him as I plan to commute by bike for a week or two. If he does it again to anyone, I will report.
Old 29th August 2010, 10:24   #516
BHPian

^Just for information there is a police station just after varthur lake.Next time you get into trouble in that area do keep this location in mind.
I also use the same road for my transit to office.Will be on a look out for this guy.
Old 29th August 2010, 12:14   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
^Just for information there is a police station just after varthur lake.Next time you get into trouble in that area do keep this location in mind.
I also use the same road for my transit to office.Will be on a look out for this guy.
Hey thanks! I thought I had seen the police station but was not sure. btw the guy was wearing a brown jacket and was riding I think the old Hero Honda Passion.

But I still have doubt if he was really a mugger or just a oversensitive victim. He was not riding the bike with any sort of expertize as I managed to outrun him in my car despite the heavy evening traffic. On the other hand why would he bother to chase me so long and why did he want to talk to me so bad? Why didn't he just note my number and complaint if he was so offended?

Anyway, all you guys commuting from Whitefield to your home in the evening be careful - if someone on a bike wants to stop you for anything don't stop unless there's a traffic police / regular cop is in sight. Better to surrender to a cop rather than the so called victim.
Old 29th August 2010, 12:36   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XH_Vee View Post
Friday evening returning from work I picked up my wife and were heading straight through Vaidehi Square to go past GE and emerge on Varthur road. 90% people turn right at this junction. So I did not think much of it when a biker tried to cut across to right from my left. My bumper may have merely brushed his number plate. I stopped to allow him to pass and he backed to my passenger window. I asked him what the problem was and he started speaking in Kannada. I told him I don't understand Kannada, he said why was I going straight. I told him there is a road there too if you go straight.

Then I just drove on across the square and stopped in front of GE gate to check for scratches / dents. The guy followed shouting I was bothered more about my car than his leg in english. This irritated me as I knew for sure I merely brushed him and I told him I don't care about idiots. This seemed to anger him beyond imagination. I had climbed back in my car and he blocked my path trying to stop me for a conversation.

I reversed a couple of time and finally managed to drive on. The biker gave me a chase. I thought of going into Forum Value Mall and he followed at the 4-wheeler entry and started banging at my window glass yelling '*******'. The security directed him to the 2-wheeler entry. I told security the situation and they let me out. I was thinking of leading him to whitefield police station but the right turn out of Forum exit was jammed. So I continued along Varthur lake. There was some relief in traffic after the bridge so I made a U turn there. He kept chasing me. I managed to overtake a bus just in the nick of time and this time continued towards whitefield police station.

Just across the police station I luckily found a couple of traffic cops. I pulled over there and told the cops everything. We waited for the guy to arrive but he vanished. He either did not / could not follow me or fled on seeling me with the cops.

I am not sure if he was one of the muggers or regular guy. But he sure seemed to take offence to me for his own mistakes and my saying idiot to him. I could not take down his reg no. as I had to concentrate on the road trying to outrun him in the evening traffic. But I am going to look out for him as I plan to commute by bike for a week or two. If he does it again to anyone, I will report.
Really scary! Good thing you were calm and handled the situation well. What did the cops say ? Were they helpful or did they try to harass you?

I will be traveling that side today. If anyone sees fellow bhpians car in trouble please stop and help
Old 29th August 2010, 13:01   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks! I thought I had seen the police station but was not sure. btw the guy was wearing a brown jacket and was riding I think the old Hero Honda Passion.

But I still have doubt if he was really a mugger or just a oversensitive victim. He was not riding the bike with any sort of expertize as I managed to outrun him in my car despite the heavy evening traffic. On the other hand why would he bother to chase me so long and why did he want to talk to me so bad? Why didn't he just note my number and complaint if he was so offended?
Usually the biker gang operate in twos.Probably for moral and physical support.I feel this one was an oversensitive victim or probably inspired by the biker gang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Really scary! Good thing you were calm and handled the situation well. What did the cops say ? Were they helpful or did they try to harass you?

I will be traveling that side today. If anyone sees fellow bhpians car in trouble please stop and help
The last time I saw a car being stopped on the outer ring road by 2 guys on the pulsar but I had already overshot them.So I took a u-turn and came back to them and on seeing me getting out of the car right behind the scene running and shouting towards them, they took off and I tried to follow them but they entered on side lane just after ecospace which was half the size of my safari.So had to abort that attempt.
I returned back to the spot where they had stopped the punto guy but he too was nowhere to be seen.What an ungrateful guy.
Old 29th August 2010, 13:04   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post

Frankly I wasn't calm - but more than panic I was angry. And I was afraid I might cause an unnecessary accident because of this guys stupidity. I wasn't even thinking of mugging till I stopped near the cops. The cops were supportive but said they couldn't do anything till they got a veh. reg. no. There was a guy on another bike waiting for someone. They did call him over and asked me whether it was him. I am myself a more ardent biker than a driver. So I did not want innocent felow bikers to bear the brunt. I just left for home after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Usually the biker gang operate in twos.Probably for moral and physical support.I feel this one was an oversensitive victim or probably inspired by the biker gang.

The last time I saw a car being stopped on the outer ring road by 2 guys on the pulsar but I had already overshot them.So I took a u-turn and came back to them and on seeing me getting out of the car right behind the scene running and shouting towards them, they took off and I tried to follow them but they entered on side lane just after ecospace which was half the size of my safari.So had to abort that attempt.
I returned back to the spot where they had stopped the punto guy but he too was nowhere to be seen.What an ungrateful guy.

That was actually pretty brave.

Most times we are afraid for our co-passengers and the car. Riding on a bike alone, I also probably would do something like you did.

Last edited by v12 : 29th August 2010 at 23:50.
Old 29th August 2010, 13:22   #521
BHPian

Quote:
That was actually pretty brave.

Most times we are afraid for our co-passengers and the car. Riding on a bike alone, I also probably would do something like you did.
More than braveness it was frustration and anger on my part as we were talking so much on this thread and Asdon,ketan,Nathan and others had even planned a mock act to catch hold of these guys but nothing was working out.

I was fed up of driving with a baseball bat under my backseat and not to mention the lost peace of mind and nirvana which I usually get while driving.And yes I did not have any co-passenger at that time.I was traveling from my whitefield office towards HSR and was supposed to pick up my fiancee at Belandur but this happened mid-way.

The conclusion from this thread which I can derive is that each one is on his own when traveling alone in his car.Do not fear.Do not panic.The max they can do is give a few blows on your face and take off.

I am ready to have a black eye and a sore face rather than loosing my self respect giving even a single paisa to these criminals.

And after talking to inspector Rajesh of HSR police station I realise that the best option is not to stop, keep driving and if they block your way, let your bull bar reply.Crush them like cockroaches.They deserve that.
Old 29th August 2010, 13:31   #522
Senior - BHPian

Now I feel I was stalked by these muggers in Pulsar, some 2 weeks backs!

This was on Aug-14 (Sat'day) morning, we had PUG (Palio Users Group) trip to Yercaud.
From Blore, there were two of us (myself & Rohan), since Rohan stays at Sarjapur he asked me to catch-up at Attibele & then we plan to drive together in our Palios.
From my house at Hennur, I take the Outer Ring Road to reach Silk-board & then the expressway to E-city & then reach Attibele.
Since it was Sat'day & morning around 8 - 8.30am, there was not much traffic on the Ring road, I was cruising in good speed except for some diversions where under-pass is in construction.
Reached Silk-board in half-hour, took the elevated Expressway, hardly any traffic on the top, zipped through fast & reached E-city and then Attibele.
Rohan told me he will wait before the Toll-booth, but I couldn't find his car before the Toll-booth, so I slowed down & parked the car on the extreme left side to call Rohan.
When I pull-out my mob to call Rohan, I saw Rohan's sms he is waiting after the check-post, so I start the car & move towards the Toll-booth.
Just then, I saw 2 guys in a Pulsar behind my car & muttering something to each other, when they saw me driving towards the Toll-booth & they remained stationary & maybe would have returned.

Now, after reading all these mugging incidents on this thread, I am sure they targetted me since I was driving alone & also I drove through the same Sarjapura - Outer Ring road.
Maybe, since I drove at a fast pace thanks to Sat'day morning traffic, they couldn't catch up with me...!

Last edited by finneyp : 29th August 2010 at 13:33.
Old 30th August 2010, 10:34   #523
BHPian

Alert!!! Mugging attempt in Bommanahalli (Hosur road)

It's getting really sick these days over here. Last Saturday I was driving to my friend's place in Koramangala through Hosur road. All was well till I reached the Signal near Bommannahalli where it just turned red.

Just like 10 seconds into the signal, I saw a guy between 20-25, was making a pass on the passenger side peeking through the window. Now, as if he seemed to have noticed that I was driving alone signalled to another guy who was standing like 5-10 ft from the car. Discreet Signals were exchanged ( yeah, I like keeping tab on surroundings when stationary ).

Just when the signal was about to go green, one of these fellows went past and stopped beside the car in front of me (left side). The signals go green and I gently accelerate, the car in the front passes the fellow and he makes the move. He suddenly takes one quick stride and is about to fall on the Bonnet face first. Call it a reflex or may be I was expecting this, I swerved to the right and stopped. The goon was now diagonally placed on the car's passenger side and recovered and was back on his feet (NOW YELLING &*^%^%*)!!!. I did not bother to stop and kept moving along at a gentle pace and then let the horses gallop. Now quick glance at the RVM shows them all (4-5) gathered and looking at the car and gesturing at the guy who fell on it (May be he did not do it right).

The scariest part is, had I not taken evasive measures, I'm left alone with the Goon and his gang at one of the busiest junctions in Bangalore. Irony is there was this Traffic cop stationed with 50 feet of all this events. He was not even paying attention to any of these notoriety.

Moral(s) of the story:
1. Always drive with all the doors locked.
2. Try keeping an eye over things around you.
3. Pepper spray (the Baseball bat works but not with a group of thugs hellbent on robbing you) can I find it in Bangy someplace?

I know it's a long post , but I feel more information shared might save the day or two for someone later.

Attached below is their attack layout, if you find a similar patterned move in a signal or somewhere beware.

Cya
Mav
Attached Thumbnails
Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported-muggin-plan.jpg  

Last edited by Maverick_x1 : 30th August 2010 at 10:45. Reason: Detailed Pic attached
Old 30th August 2010, 10:49   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_x1 View Post
3. Pepper spray (the Baseball bat works but not with a group of thugs hellbent on robbing you) can I find it in Bangy someplace?
Health & Glow outlets;
Rs.499/-.
Brand: Cobra
Old 30th August 2010, 11:26   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_x1 View Post
You get the Baseball Bat+ball in Rs. 300 in the Hypercity Mall. I found it quite attractive and picked one, now I carry it in my car too along with the "gupty" I don't know what we call it in English.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks