Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2010, 00:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

I remeber to have read in some magazine, based on a survey conducted by them, Bombay was the safest city for women at night and Bangalore was way down in the list. States like Kerala nd Karnataka where literacy rates are high are at a risk at nght for women during night.

Last edited by rajeev k : 8th May 2010 at 00:04. Reason: grammer
Old 8th May 2010, 00:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

my my , my posts have evoked feelings among many a people here.
In my experience of 20+ years of living in this city I found it rather safe. Compared to say Delhi where i stayed for 6 months and the amount of police check posts itself used to give me shivers down my spine regarding the situation.

But one place in Bangalore , I fear driving i the night is the Old Ring road. If i do so i drive with windows up and doors locked. I have heard people who stop at signals post 11 o clock being robbed at knife point(sometimes by eunuch's!! or men pretending as Eunuchs.).
when driving after 11 on the ring road. I dont stop at signals(usually all of them are switched off or turned yellow).

@ Rajeev
Kerala is even worse IMO
Almost ALL shops close around 8:30 and women stop coming out of their house by 7(max 8).

@Ranjan
I feel you have a certain attachment towards Bombay .you mentioned that you see women late nights behind taj etc, i can relate to an incident which gained world wide attention on a certain new years night.

enough discussions regarding safe cities in India.
Topic Reads Mugging In Bangalore , Our Agenda is to Minimize Risks of being Mugged.
sticking to the topic(somewhat)
Many people disagree with the usage of JET black Tints. well this is one major plus point of it. What You cant see , you cant rob

Last edited by vinaydas : 8th May 2010 at 00:21.
Old 8th May 2010, 00:09   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
In my experience of 20+ years of living in this city I found it rather safe. Compared to say Delhi where i stayed for 6 months and the amount of police check posts itself used to give me shivers down my spine regarding the situation.

Hah.. Perhaps if you know Delhi is capital of India, and number of police check posts will obviously be more than anywhere. I understand you love bangalore, but why take names of other places like Delhi and Mumbai which are anyways known to be safe in their own sense, specially MUMBAI.

Moreover, the thread is not for which state is safe and which is not. It is to make people aware of these hooligans on roads anywhere in India.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 8th May 2010 at 00:10.
Old 8th May 2010, 00:49   #34
BHPian

It is sad to see things like these taking shape in broad daylight.
During my school days inspired by 007 and his gadgets I had planned to install pepperspray which was supposed to be sprayed through small pores situated above the driver`s and co-passenger`s door. Guess its time to go through the plans and add life to it. Btw any idea if it is illegal ?

Last edited by zazer : 8th May 2010 at 00:50.
Old 8th May 2010, 01:30   #35
BHPian

Egg on Windshield

Folks, I do not know if such an incident happened. But, I got a forward saying not to use the windshield wiper if an egg is thrown at the windshield. Apparently, using wiper would spread the yolk all over the glass area making it absolutely difficult to see anything ahead and forcing the driver to stop the car and come out to clean it, thereby becoming an easy target for muggers.

This seems to be an easy technique. What should one do in such a scenario (other than not using wipers and driving somehow with poor visibility)?
Old 8th May 2010, 06:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazer View Post
It is sad to see things like these taking shape in broad daylight.
During my school days inspired by 007 and his gadgets I had planned to install pepperspray which was supposed to be sprayed through small pores situated above the driver`s and co-passenger`s door. Guess its time to go through the plans and add life to it. Btw any idea if it is illegal ?
dont know about pepper spray but , flame throwers are illegal.
Indian law does not clearly define such inventions .
why not keep a packet of say, Chilli powder under your seat, it may come in Handy, my friends father does a lot of long drives and he always keeps a packet of chilli powder under his seat for the sake of safety.
Old 8th May 2010, 08:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Folks, I do not know if such an incident happened. But, I got a forward saying not to use the windshield wiper if an egg is thrown at the windshield. Apparently, using wiper would spread the yolk all over the glass area making it absolutely difficult to see anything ahead and forcing the driver to stop the car and come out to clean it, thereby becoming an easy target for muggers.

This seems to be an easy technique. What should one do in such a scenario (other than not using wipers and driving somehow with poor visibility)?

Thats an urban legend. Nothing happens if you run the wiper with windshield cleaner spray.
Old 8th May 2010, 16:32   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
In my experience of 20+ years of living in this city I found it rather safe.
I have lived in Bangalore for 8 yrs and moved out in the last few months. Consider this, in these 8 years
  • an autodriver tried looting me of my belongings ( Mysore road ),
  • some guys on a motorcyle tried to flick my cell phone ( Basavangudi ),
  • a co worker was almost molested by the cab driver ( the matter was suppressed by the management, this is the same company where a lady was raped and murdered by the cab driver )
  • a friend was hospitalised and in coma due to a mob of autodrivers hitting him (Chamrajpet)
  • saw girls getting groped by the mobs on Brigade road on 31st Dec night (Surprisingly not reported by the newspapers )
  • Saw a drunk mob near silk board stopping cars ( even with ladies inside ) on a 31st Dec night and trying to touch ladies in the car in the pretext of wishing "happy new year ".
  • Had stones thrown on the car few years back again during 31st night in when we were retuning from speedzone Whitefield, apparantly by drunk people who was just having fun throwing stones on the cars.
..and i can go on.

Quote:
certain groups of ladies(??) do walk around here also after 12.
I dont know if you were being sarcastic, but i think you need to do look around before making statements like "in no other city you see women walking around after 10."

And i dont know about you but I would be pretty worried if any of my female family members or my girl friend is taking a walk alone or returning home from work alone at 10 in Bangalore.

All i can say is you havent seen enough of India!!

Quote:
enough discussions regarding safe cities in India.
Topic Reads Mugging In Bangalore ,
Agreed! the Comparision was uncalled for.

Last edited by heavy_foot : 8th May 2010 at 16:33.
Old 8th May 2010, 18:21   #39
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Crime is growing in every city in India. TOI pune edition comes with three murders in pune city in just 1 day. One 15 year old beheaded. One dead body found in heard of city. The worst was a witness hacked to death inside the court. With these kinds of things happening in broad daylight inside even courts, what can we say about a lone driver being conned in the middle of the night?
The law makers are so happy rolling in fortune, that to come back in power, they create goondas all around. Now the goondas rule roost with everyone claiming to be some relative of some MLA, MP and all kinds of ministers!
Old 8th May 2010, 19:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

@heavy foot.
its all about appearances. If you dress up like a tourist or behave like you are new in town chances are you will be taken advantage of.
Let it be auto drivers,Bystanders or even criminals.
First Rule of staying in any area is try to "Blend In". I have seen auto guys(even cop guys) taking 'n' number of my friends from places apart from Bangalore/Karnataka.
Old 8th May 2010, 21:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
There is a different kind of scam going on in Chennai.
Yes, I'm aware of this & this was a trick used long back, not sure if it is still, but the police is aware of this trick & has published warning notice all over Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Then they speed away on the bike. Never keep a laptop in full view on the seats. Hide it in the boot or under the seats.
Yes, I do this always. Exhibiting them is like inviting them & trouble for ourselves.

Yes like someone said in this thread, its better to have a little dark sun film control so that nothing is visible even accidentally; hiding them protects.

On the other hand, here's another incident to exhibit smart mugging. Several years back, some 2 people posed as business men & hired a chauffeur driven Octavia to Trichy; just after Chengulpet, they asked the driver to get some beer & handed over Rs 500. When the driver stepped out for beer, that was the last sight of the business men & the Octavia. Trust me, the Octavia was hired from one of Chennai's reputed & renowned travels.

Last edited by aargee : 8th May 2010 at 21:02.
Old 8th May 2010, 21:49   #42
Senior - BHPian

While one should admit that mugging do happen in Bangalore, he should also understand that lot of stories are fabricated and played out in imaginations. I have been living in Bangalore for 11 years and have never come across any such incidents personally. The only thing stolen are the steel valve caps of my car tyres. On the contrary on my recent one month visit to US, Some one broke the side window of my rented car and flicked the GPS on day 2 itself. The car being parked right in front of the hotel where I was staying.
Old 8th May 2010, 21:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
On the other hand, here's another incident to exhibit smart mugging. Several years back, some 2 people posed as business men & hired a chauffeur driven Octavia to Trichy; just after Chengulpet, they asked the driver to get some beer & handed over Rs 500. When the driver stepped out for beer, that was the last sight of the business men & the Octavia. Trust me, the Octavia was hired from one of Chennai's reputed & renowned travels.
Carelessness of the driver, in fact. He should not have left the key in the car.
Old 8th May 2010, 23:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

I have got robbed by two thugs at Silk Board at 4pm. So, to all those people who say, I stayed X years in Bangalore and nothing happened, hope it remains that way.

And I do not understand what the heck is the issue with anyone maintaining their identity? Whats with advice of "blending in"? Talk about having a very narrow view of things!!!
Old 8th May 2010, 23:35   #45
BHPian

Good! What presence of mind. Good that your friend is safe. And im sure no T-bhpian will pullover over a thud that he dint cause!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks