Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2010, 22:12   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
I was a victim of another kind of mugging.
These guys come up with innovative ways to fleece money. He extracted an extra 120 bucks from you for refusing to pay 30 bucks more for luggage
You could have stood your ground and challenged him rather than giving into his words. But again if the drift of the crowd is against you, then you would have felt better to get it over with!

Last edited by abhinav.s : 8th July 2010 at 22:16.
Old 8th July 2010, 23:38   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
I was a victim of another kind of mugging.

I reached my destination.......
I had been exactly in the same situation once....in my case I stood my ground and the crowd started appearing. After around 5 mins of full chaos the crowd played the mediator and I had to shell 50% of the amount as the crowd was starting to get hostile. For every line I said in hindi or english at times, the auto driver will say something to the crowd in kannada and they all will be nodding their head with a profound 'Hmmmm' 'Hmmmmm'. That was the day I thought I definitely need to learn kannada and teach these guys a lesson one day. Haven't made much progress though.
Old 9th July 2010, 12:50   #423
BHPian

Something similar happened to me a few years back. I went to the old airport on an Auto and when i got off, I paid him 150 Rs ( a 100 and a 50 ) and started to walk back. He called back saying i gave him only 2 fifty rupee notes and showed 2 notes of 50 Rs. I thought i might have made a mistake and said Sorry and gave him a 100 rupee note and took back the 50 rupee note. I later realised that this guy had scammed me. Back then, i used to think everyone was honest and trusted everyone :( . Luckily, it wasn't a very big amount and I was on my way to my first international trip, so i forgot everything soon .

By the way, are we planning to meet again this weekend ?
Old 9th July 2010, 13:45   #424
BHPian

Now a days I make sure that I have a witness before I pay. Either the porter or the bell boy at the hotel.

Murthy
Old 9th July 2010, 16:42   #425
BHPian

Same thing happened to me few years back from Coorg (Karnataka) when I was returning to my home (calcutta) during my semester vacations. I took an auto early morning around 3:30 am, and reached Bangalore Airport. I gave him Rs 500 (agreed fare was 150), and was going through my tickets to make sure I have them in place. Suddenly this auto guy said "Sir, Rs 50 more". I was perplexed, and looked that he is holding a Rs 100 note, and said that I gave him that one. I was pretty sure since I did not have any Rs 100 note, and had all Rs 500 notes. I stood my ground, but then suddenly felt that his friend (yes, he picked up a friend on the way) is trying to get hostile. I left the place after giving another Rs 50, and felt extremely helpless.

Similar incident happened again, this time at the Prepaid Taxi Booth of Delhi Domestic Airport. I gave him Rs 500, and in 2 mins he said that I gave him Rs 100. Again lessen learnt.

Now, whenever I had to make a payment, I make sure that I receive the change before I hand over the money e.g. if I buy something for Rs 70, I tell him to give me Rs 30 back as I have Rs 100. Also after giving the money, I do not move my eyes from his hand until he says "Sir, thik hain".
Old 9th July 2010, 18:07   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntydey View Post
Now, whenever I had to make a payment, I make sure that I receive the change before I hand over the money e.g. if I buy something for Rs 70, I tell him to give me Rs 30 back as I have Rs 100. Also after giving the money, I do not move my eyes from his hand until he says "Sir, thik hain".
Or you can acertain vocally that you are giving him note of '500' bucks so you know that he is aware that you are aware of what you gave him. Important lesson for me too.
Old 9th July 2010, 18:07   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntydey View Post
SAlso after giving the money, I do not move my eyes from his hand until he says "Sir, thik hain".
Yes, that is the key. Not to take eyes off the money until the acknowledgement.
Old 12th July 2010, 18:46   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
They should start a drive against Kannada number plate first, its anyway illegal to have a kannada number plate.

You can only have a local language number plate along with an English one, which is mandatory. This is as per CMV act.

Dadu,
I have seen a car in Bangalore with Team-BHP stickers all over having only Kannada number plates. Made me feel really sad seeing this.
I want to know who is this Bhpian?
Old 12th July 2010, 20:35   #429
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Dadu,
I have seen a car in Bangalore with Team-BHP stickers all over having only Kannada number plates. Made me feel really sad seeing this.
I want to know who is this Bhpian?
I wonder if these guys use T-BHP in 'Kannada' version.

Is it a shame to put number plates in English? Or people want to show how patriotic are they towards their language?
Old 12th July 2010, 21:11   #430
Senior - BHPian

^^ About local language plates, I heard it is legal in the state limits, but not in other states. I am not clear about what the law states and what is the clause number. It will be super and beneficial to all if some one can pull up the clause from the books and present it here for the benefit of the community.

I distinctly remember, a T-bhpian from Maharashtra had put up his mildly modded zen on display here. The mods were sweet but some members pointed out the marathi plates he had. The OP came up after a few days with a confirmation with the law that Marathi plates are fine within MH limits but not outside MH.

So someone kindly clear the air. Both national and state regulations.
Old 12th July 2010, 21:44   #431
BHPian

The Central motor vehicles rule says that all numbers should be in english only. Applying the CMV rules, the respective state governments have been provided with additional power to attach new rules to the rules already defined by CMV and not change them.
Now, the respective governments have made provision to display the number plates in the local languages. But, this should be done only when there is atleast one plate displaying the number in english. This is often taken for granted and never followed. Notice the State Transport buses. They have the numbers both in English and their local language. Atleast this is the case in AP and KA to some extent i guess.

With local favoritism and the pride associated with it, the local tigers fix them. The local cops also are OK with it as they can read them.

I have seen a lot of Telugu written number plates being caught in Chennai. A lot of KA written plates caught at anantapur and so on.

In some cases decentralization of power/rules etc is good but in cases like these, they get a bit messy.
I shall post the exact link where i read this. Its in the website of one of the AP/KA website.

Regards,
Krishna.

Quote:
^^ About local language plates, I heard it is legal in the state limits, but not in other states. I am not clear about what the law states and what is the clause number. It will be super and beneficial to all if some one can pull up the clause from the books and present it here for the benefit of the community

Last edited by kittigadu : 12th July 2010 at 21:49.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:21   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Something similar happened to me a few years back. I went to the old airport on an Auto and when i got off, I paid him 150 Rs ( a 100 and a 50 ) and started to walk back. He called back saying i gave him only 2 fifty rupee notes and showed 2 notes of 50 Rs. I thought i might have made a mistake and said Sorry and gave him a 100 rupee note and took back the 50 rupee note. I later realised that this guy had scammed me. Back then, i used to think everyone was honest and trusted everyone :( .
Think only auto wallah's pull this trick?
A similar thing happened to me at RT Nagar - Pizza hut, where in I kept the bill amt + tip & walked out, only to find the waiter come running & tell me there was 100 Rs less.
Lesson learnt. If you take your eyes of your money you could be scammed anywhere.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:25   #433
Senior - BHPian

I had read a transport official saying its illegal to not put the English numbered plate. Most (almost all?) government vehicles use dual plates in Karnataka.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:34   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
I wonder if these guys use T-BHP in 'Kannada' version.

Is it a shame to put number plates in English? Or people want to show how patriotic are they towards their language?
Some mugging incidents are being reported recently in Bangalore (Around outer ring road / Sarjapur road area). These people coming in a Pulsar bike having Kannada Number plate will stop single car drivers and steal. They were mostly targeting other state registration vehicles to take advantage of their inability to read kannada.
I really dont understand why karnataka govt. is still allowing such number plates even after all these incidents. Are the safety of non-Kannada people not important to them?
Old 13th July 2010, 15:24   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Some mugging incidents are being reported recently in Bangalore (Around outer ring road / Sarjapur road area). These people coming in a Pulsar bike having Kannada Number plate will stop single car drivers and steal. They were mostly targeting other state registration vehicles to take advantage of their inability to read kannada.
I really dont understand why karnataka govt. is still allowing such number plates even after all these incidents. Are the safety of non-Kannada people not important to them?
You are too late to respond, read the thread from 1st post, this very thread started with those mugging incidents reported.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks