Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 01:47   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
They know for sure that no one will stop to help the lone motorist. If 5 vehicles stop seeing other being harassed it will be an end to this problem.

The problem here is differentiating fake scenarios from real..these frea*s change their modus operandi by the minute..these crooks can form a group with 5 vehicles -2 bikes cornering (pretending to) 1 car and fake an argument, another 2 bikes parked aside acting concerned -and then you end up oblivious to this situation and bear the brunt...(Might not happen the exact way but just thinking of reasons why one should/would not stop)

Last edited by Ranjimso : 4th June 2010 at 01:58.
Old 4th June 2010, 08:04   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
^^It is difficult to procure a gun in India legally. Either the reason should be solid or you should know your way in. Thats it. But, even if you fire in the air, you run a good chance of being provoked to fire at the mugger. In that case if you yield, things can go even more complicated than the mugging itself. I suggest, that all outer state vehicle have a notorious political party label on the front and rear windows, or even better have a Kannada Rakhshana Vedike sticker on your out of state registered car which will confuse everyone on the street and leave you alone
hahhaa carrying a political sticker is like inviting thrashing if you are driving through rivals area, that case if the mugging drama starts and you are carrying a sticker of the party who is in power, people will thrash you 1st for hitting the guy on the road, then they will do the same for price rise/ jobs etc etc, you put a sticker of KRV and drive to tamilnadu, you have very less chance of survival
Old 4th June 2010, 08:47   #168

Why not non-KA reg vehicle get the number plate written in Kannada? I already see lot of non KA registered vehicles written in Kannada to avoid police! why not, for these muggers!?
Old 4th June 2010, 09:10   #169
Senior - BHPian

Today's Bangalore TOI edition has the same details on how to avoid being mugged in these areas, on page 3. Which is good, because now more people will be aware of these thugs.
Old 4th June 2010, 09:24   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
And what part of body are you talking about? Do you think you will have time to take aim and shoot in a brawl and even if you get time do you think you will be able to shoot striaght with an aigun in that high adrenaline moment?

-Inder
Chillax dude. There is noone going to use any kind of gun with anyone out here. He was just joking, don't take so seriously. We all know what to do when you really have a gun out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
hahhaa carrying a political sticker is like inviting thrashing if you are driving through rivals area, that case if the mugging drama starts and you are carrying a sticker of the party who is in power, people will thrash you 1st for hitting the guy on the road, then they will do the same for price rise/ jobs etc etc, you put a sticker of KRV and drive to tamilnadu, you have very less chance of survival
lol.. very ture. Icing on cake will be, you have a political sticker (which they hate) + you have a vehicle with different registration (which they hate even more)

Best way is, be man enough to handle such situations. I wouldn't mind getting some punches on my face but will make sure noone is able to rob me also, I give atleast 1 punch back so that the muggers remember me for the next 2 days atleast.
Old 4th June 2010, 09:31   #171
Senior - BHPian

New Style of Mugging: ORR, Bangalore

Hi Everyone,

There are reports of incidents of IT employees travelling in cars getting mugged by a gang in areas around Outer Ring Road like Iblur Circle – Sarjapur road, Bellandur Circle – Yamalur road on Bellandur Tank bed, Sarjapur road – Hosur road via Jail road, Sarjapur road – Hosur road via Haralur. These incidents occur during lean traffic times of 11 AM to 4 PM and at night.

The Modus Operandi of the gang is as follows:

a) The gang generally has a black pulsar with a driver and a pillion. Usually they the target the car with single person inside.
b) They continuously honk from behind to stop the car saying that you have committed an accident.
c) As soon as you stop the car and open the door, they will enter and sit inside and tell you that you have injured a person in the accident and have to pay compensation.
d) They will immediately confirm the amount you have to pay saying that the injured is the brother of local Don! Then try to convince you that you have to face his ire if the amount is not paid.
e) They will ask you to give them the money by drawing from nearby ATM.
f) The members of the gang speak Kannada and broken Hindi and are known to take only money or gold but not cell phone.

I've been told that the police are trying to catch these people.... GOD Knows..

Last edited by ported_head : 4th June 2010 at 11:45.
Old 4th June 2010, 09:33   #172
BHPian

Saw the article, guys please save those phone numbers given in TOI
for those who may not access to TOI these are the numbers

CALL THESE NUMBERS IMMEDIATELY

Police constables are now patrolling the same roads in plain clothes. Call these numbers. Inspector Rajesh: 9448448833 Sub-Inspector Mirza Ali Raza:
Cheetha squad Ashok
(Towards Marathalli): 9902660986
Cheetha squad Vijayamurthy
(Towards Iblur): 9980834703
Crime squad Manjunath: 9845668681
Crime squad Ravindranath:
Old 4th June 2010, 10:25   #173

How about getting the non-KA registered vehicle number plate written in Kannada?! I already see many such number plates on Bangalore roads!! Its mainly to avoid harassment by Police, may be this can be done to avoid Muggers as well!!!
Old 4th June 2010, 10:53   #174
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Are the police so stupid as not to be able to catch them? all it needs is some plain clothes guys, maybe take a premium car and go up and down the route,as a trap. Else even in a normal vehicle keep patrolling the area. I think these gangs pay off folks to allow them to operate. Sorry to sound v skeptical, but cant understand how can they keep operating for many months
Old 4th June 2010, 10:58   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Ketan - The guy paid 15K
Just to clarify, I posted the story of the person who got mugged. He has not just paid 15K but some gold jewelry too. So, it wasnt me, I'm still awaiting my turn

Good to see lots of activity on this thread. Awareness will surely make a difference. I didnt get the point someone made about cornering them and all completely. But my opinion is, if you see something happening, just stop to make sure its not something similar we are discussing here and move on quickly. Whether you see a t-bhp sticker or not, donest make big difference, need to make sure these guys know that we are a bigger community and power (in its pure form) than what they have.

My company issued some security concerns using EGL>Yemlur>Belandur gate roads last week itself - not even sending cabs thru that route between 8PM - 6AM.

Last edited by Ketan : 4th June 2010 at 11:01. Reason: SpellCheck
Old 4th June 2010, 11:05   #176
BHPian

I was coming on my bike via the Yemlur-Bellandur Lake route today at around 9:10 AM. Just after crossing the lake and the small culvert, i found a group of 4 guys sitting under a tree. I didn't give much notice to them, but just after passing them, I saw they had a Black Pulsar parked beside them. Instinctively, I turned back and checked the number and it was written in Kannada. I wanted to stop and take some pics but the guys really looked like thugs, so i continued on my way without getting into trouble . I'm not sure if I'm getting paranoid after reading this thread, but i have a feeling they will be targetting people near the Bellandur lake area today. If something happens there today, we can confirm these were the people and they were probably waiting for the traffic to reduce a bit.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:12   #177
BHPian

One suggestion which may avoid such incidents

We as a larger group of Team-BHP members can protect us

Many of us working in IT/non-IT companies arround ITPL/E-City/ORR/Sarjapur Rd. Many of us leave from office more or less similar times, eg within 5-6:30pm, or 7-8:30 or after 9. If we can create sub groups within Team-BHP members by location and go pass these areas in convoy(best would have been car pool), we may not face such incident. These will require sharing our office locations, phone numbers. SMSs are almost free for all those who are using corporate connections, one single liner about you log-off and meeting time will make this possible.

Just an Idea, THINK ABOUT IT
Old 4th June 2010, 11:29   #178
Senior - BHPian

^ Sharing information and quick modes of communications will surely be of some help - not just for this incident but many more situations.
However, convoy or carpool wouldnt be able to fetch much participation (timing and individul schedules)- just my view which may be wong.

from the e-paper, this information can be very helpful.

HOW TO PREVENT AND HOW YOU CAN HELP THE POLICE IN NABBING THEM

Lock the internal locks of the vehicle.
If they get on your vehicle, raise an alarm.
Try to click their pictures and note down the vehicle number.
If they try to threaten you or manhandle, keep the pepper spray as a defence and use it properly and carefully “if necessary”.
Call the helplines.
If you are bold, snatch their bike keys. Take their photographs, call the police. If public are willing to help, secure the culprits and hand them over to police.
If you are smart/tactful enough and can hold them in conversation, inform the police by way of SMS or call. Assure culprits you will pay them and hold them till police reach you.
Or you can tell them you can arrange for money from a friend and take them to a place where you know the people and then try to catch the culprits with the help of those people and hand them over to police.

Last edited by Ketan : 4th June 2010 at 11:33. Reason: add/mod
Old 4th June 2010, 11:32   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
^ Sharing information and quick modes of communications will surely be of some help - not just for this incident but many more situations.
However, convoy or carpool wouldnt be able to fetch much participation - just my view.
I am not talking about a convoy of 10 cars, even if its a 2/3 cars it will solve the purpose.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:51   #180
Senior - BHPian

Today's write up on page 3 can help the public a lot. Atleast most folk are now aware. This issue has gained a lot of traction in last week or so. I do see that many of the IT companies in consultation with the police have issued circulars to all employees to be aware. In those circulars, they have taken one's life as prime importance and asked to co-operate completely with the muggers and then report incident to police.

However, in TOI, its a bit different, police have said, it possible with help of public over power them. If no public support, say that a friend will help give the money and take them to some known places where you can get help overpower them. Police have stated that this gang acts courageously but internally they too are scared.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks