Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2018, 18:58   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore Traffic Police - What's Wrong?

I got a message this morning from a friend on watsapp that a high lift crane belonging to a builder had blocked 90% space of Kasturba Gandhi cross road.

Dialed up the ACP Central Division and sent him the picture as well.Couple of police officers called me after a minute asking for the exact location.

After 20 minutes, another officer called me and said that the crane has been removed.He also has sent me the pictures of the location as well.

Way to go BTP.

Waseem.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore Traffic Police - What's Wrong?-img20180107wa0048.jpg  

Bangalore Traffic Police - What's Wrong?-img20180107wa0064.jpg  

Bangalore Traffic Police - What's Wrong?-img20180107wa0065.jpg  

Bangalore Traffic Police - What's Wrong?-img20180107wa0066.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 08:47   #257
Senior - BHPian

Another good thing I am seeing being done by BTP is the strict enforcement of law against drunken drivers. I have seen them being very strict in confiscating the DL as well as the vehicle. Saw this tweet today by BTP and thought of sharing it across here.

Bangalore Traffic Police - What's Wrong?-drunkendrivefine.jpg

Continue the good work BTP.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 10:57   #258
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

What gives grief though is the place where they try to catch drunken driving. Yesterday it took a long time to cross the stretch at ORR near JP Morgan towards Silk Board. I was thinking the jam up was due to some accident but I realised it were the cops darting across the roads with Breathalysers to stop cars. This was at 11 pm and it took a while to cross the junction. Heavy build up of traffic was the result.
Old 15th February 2018, 11:00   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
What gives grief though is the place where they try to catch drunken driving. Yesterday it took a long time to cross the stretch at ORR near JP Morgan towards Silk Board. I was thinking the jam up was due to some accident but I realised it were the cops darting across the roads with Breathalysers to stop cars. This was at 11 pm and it took a while to cross the junction. Heavy build up of traffic was the result.
This was the case throughout the city, even in places where relatively low late night traffic is observed. I saw this when I was returning home at around 11 pm on Bannerghatta Road.

No surprises, since it was Valentines Day and there were indeed a lot of late night revellers returning home after a drink or two. Good time for the cops to collect some heavy penalties!
Old 15th February 2018, 12:55   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

I can attest to the fact that the action the cops have been taking against drunken driving has certainly been effective.

When I got my first job more than 15 years ago, we used to go out for a drink a couple of times during weekdays and almost always during weekends. Back then, I'm now ashamed to say, we always rode/drove back home because there was virtually no risk of getting caught by cops. Even if you were unlucky enough to get caught on a Saturday night, you could almost always get off by paying 200 bucks.

Over the years the checking and enforcement gradually increased. Now I believe it's almost certain that you will be stopped for checking at night, especially on weekends. And you'll have to go to court to pay your fine, and more importantly, will not be allowed to drive your vehicle back home.

It's a really good thing and shows that if a law is strictly enforced, things will improve. Time for the cops to crack down similarly on those morons who ride their motorbikes on footpaths and on cabbies who basically drive like maniacs.

Last edited by am1m : 15th February 2018 at 12:58.
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 01:28   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
It's a really good thing and shows that if a law is strictly enforced, things will improve. Time for the cops to crack down similarly on those morons who ride their motorbikes on footpaths and on cabbies who basically drive like maniacs.
There was an interesting tweet from Bangalore city police during 31st night "Drink and drive, and we’ll show you a few new bars" Unfortunately NICE road entry and exit points (especially so if someone stays near to these points) DUI is a norm. COPS should check DUI at NICE road entry and exits for sure at midnight regardless of weekday or weekends!
lazybrain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 19:10   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this article, wonder why the policeman there shoe.
From the video it looks like he was ready to confront the bikers with shoe. Law and logic apart, why risk loosing a shoe when you may be able to get only few hundreds as fine.

Link
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 20:14   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Law and logic apart, why risk loosing a shoe...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Shoo away with a shoe: BTP's new weapon!
I would really be interested to hear the cop's side of the story. What he did was absolutely wrong, uncivil and unbecoming of a public servant. No two words about it.

But there appears to be some history between the bikers and the cop; this is evident in his going for the shoe even when the bikers are zooming towards him. It seems as if he is intentionally / premeditatedly aiming the missile at the youth and is not reacting impulsively. Could they have mocked / teased him a while ago and were repeating it and would this have triggered this spontaneous overflow of powerful emotions?

Let me be forthright in saying that even at gunpoint, the cop must have found a better way of handling the situation. However, what prevents me from empathising with the bikers is the memory of a traffic policeman trying to stop a car being crashed upon by the driver, and the cop, lying prone on the bonnet, barely managing to hang on to it for a couple of kilometres. The car was subsequently chased down and the driver given proper police treatment. This was in 2009, in Ashoknagar Traffic limits.

My point is that sometimes, the harried cops can act inhumanly for reasons that may not be obvious or apparent at first. But, nevertheless, acts like these are a blot on civilized society.
dailydriver is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 18:04   #264
BHPian

If you look at the video, at 6:42, you will see the 2 boys on the bike at the left lane entrance deciding whether to take the turn (the rider is clearly looking towards the cops). I assume they spotted the cops ahead and decided to zoom past the cops. The constable must have noticed that the bike was coming at a fast speed and knew that they would not stop so he threw his shoe. (which was definitely the wrong thing to do). Maybe he got caught up in the moment or was frustrated, who knows. But it was wrong and dangerous to throw the shoe. After all, what if the shoe missed the bikers and hit another biker who could have fallen down. In fact the boys could have also fallen down and could have got seriously injured. All in all, absolutely wrong action by the cop. He should have noted their number and sent a challan. (incidentally, i was amused at how calmly his colleague/senior was sitting on their bike through the incident!)

(Btw, i am not condoning the boys antics of riding without a helmet or refusing to stop for cops. They were breaking the law, plain and simple. They are very lucky things did not end badly for them.)
DriverR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 18:25   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Came across this article, wonder why the policeman there shoe.
From the video it looks like he was ready to confront the bikers with shoe. Law and logic apart, why risk loosing a shoe when you may be able to get only few hundreds as fine.

Link
That was hilarious! What was not funny was scrolling through more than 6 minutes of footage to get to the main story in the video.

I am glad the policeman didn't have a laathi.
Old 12th October 2018, 08:36   #266
BHPian

Not sure if this goes in the OLA or BTP pile.

This happened in an Ola that I was in. TP fined the Ola driver 300 for wearing casual clothes while on duty. Do they need to be in uniform like BMTC or autorickshaw guys ?
Old 12th October 2018, 08:47   #267
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Do they need to be in uniform like BMTC or autorickshaw guys ?
I think the Motor Vehicle Act and Karnataka state transport laws mandate the uniform. Last year also there were similar drives by Bangalore Traffic Police against errant drivers.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 09:20   #268
Senior - BHPian

I have been out of country for few months now and returned this month for 2 weeks. I thought of using my bike for small errands. Two nights in a row I was caught by cops (crime, not traffic).

1. First night they asked for DL and RC. I had all documents but had missed my DL as I was using a different wallet. Police were ok if I could show them a photo atleast which I didnt have. So I paid the fine and left.

2. Very next evening I was again caught at the same place and this time I had all the documents. But this time they said that my registration number is not 4 digits. (Mine is a 03 registered bike and it has only 3 digit number). When I had got the FC done, the new RC came with 4 digits but the cop at the RTO had told that it was because of the system and I need not get it changed.

I told the same to the cops but they were saying that the circular they had received is different and they are not traffic cops but crime. They let me leave saying that next time I have to get it changed. I agreed. Probably my mistake but my question here would be who is right? Crime or RTO?

P.S : I asked the cops why they were checking the docs and not traffic. It seems they have a circular to verify bikes registrations of older bikes especially pulsars. This was because of some incidents which happened recently using similar bikes. I am not sure of its trueness though.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 12th October 2018 at 09:20. Reason: Correcting indentation
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 09:29   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

I told the same to the cops but they were saying that the circular they had received is different and they are not traffic cops but crime. They let me leave saying that next time I have to get it changed. I agreed. Probably my mistake but my question here would be who is right? Crime or RTO?
Irrespective of you having 1,2,3 or 4 digit number your number plate should always have 4 digits. Example, if your registration is 12, then number plate should read 0012.

Last edited by PrideRed : 12th October 2018 at 09:40.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 10:46   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
1. First night they asked for DL and RC. I had all documents but had missed my DL as I was using a different wallet.
Simple solution to this: What I follow is, I have scanned RC Card, DL, Insurance Tax paid Receipt and emission certificate for all my vehicles and put the Soft copies into my mobile phone.

Whenever Police stops me, I will show all the documents so that they cannot find any issues in the documents at the least.

Also, what I have observed is, they wont stop the vehicles usually when we drive soberly. There is a Court order that they cannot stop the vehicles unless there is a violation of any traffic rule. (Read, Over speed, or no helmet or something similar)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks