Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 13:20   #196
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Traffic Police - What's Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Easier said than done. The shitty government will put in place essential service act in place.
yeah thats also true :(. Hey but if lawyers can strike, i figured cops can do it to.
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:45   #197
BHPian

Just came across this on fb.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Quote:

HORRIFYING EXPERIENCE WITH BANGALORE TRAFFIC POLICE !!
It happened to me. You could be Next!!

I’m sure most of you at some point have gone through such horrific experience with the Traffic Police of Bangalore. Read on...

I was heading back home with my wife on Saturday Night - Sunday early morning around 1230am, September 30, when a Traffic constable stopped us to check for drunk driving. My wife was driving and I was on the passenger seat and neither of us had consumed any alcohol.

The constable extended the alcohol content detecting device towards my wife without any intimation and rudely said 'blow into this'. She did it twice but it seem to show no alcohol content, so the constable raised his voice and said 'blow properly'. I am sure you've made a note of the violations in public interest that the traffic police had already committed by misbehaving and not having a lady to inspect a lady for 'drunken driving'.

This is when I got down from the vehicle to talk to the constable and I asked him to low down his tone, he retaliated by pushing me and then kicking me. A group of 7-8 other constables then joined the first one to bash me up with slaps, kicks and lathis. I ran in defense but in vain. However at no point did I attempt to hit any cops back. This wasn't enough for the cops to harass me, they dragged me to a nearby auto and pushed me into it. I looked around for my wife when I realized that she was being pushed away from the car and the keys were been taken.

My wife was left stranded on the road in the middle of the night as they put me in an auto and took me to the Airport police station. When they reached the police station they just left me outside and did not take me in.

I then called my friends for help and they came there about 20 minutes later. They spoke to the Sub Inspector who was on duty and questioned them as to how the constables could raise their hand and assault someone that too so brutally. The sub inspector, realizing that the constables were at mistake then handed me my car keys and let me go.

That’s not all. When the car was returned to me I found my wallet missing. I informed the sub inspector of my missing wallet and he responded by saying that it was not their responsibility. I did not want to stay there any longer to register a complaint as I was already very scared and just left from there.

My wife and me went through the unexpected, undeserved horror just to request a traffic policeman to speak to a lady with respect. I have bruises all over my body and a swollen eye with blurred vision and not to forget the experience of embarrassment of being beaten on the road and lastly the inconvenience of blocking and reapplying for my debit/credit cards/driving license.
I am at a loss for words.
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:31   #198
BHPian

The Bangalore Police should be shameful for this act, nowadays one should be more afraid of the Cops than the Crooks.
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:38   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Just came across this on fb.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I am at a loss for words.
I just hope its not true.
I have been stopped a few items for these tests. But I havent found the cops to be rude, in one case a smart young cop came upto the car and said " Good Evening Sir, This is a regular check, where are you coming from?". Since he didnt get any smell of alcohol he sent me off saying " Thank you, Good Night".
Also have notice the cops being more sensitive when ladies are around.

Last edited by sansvk : 3rd October 2012 at 22:39. Reason: spelling correction
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 23:27   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I just hope its not true.
I have been stopped a few items for these tests. But I havent found the cops to be rude, Also have notice the cops being more sensitive when ladies are around.
I too have found them to be quite the opposite of rude, from whatever little interaction I've had with them.
But, this isn't the first time such incidents have been reported.
http://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore/re...or-son_1743831
Also, I have heard of a couple of instances of taxi drivers being slapped by them.
Old 4th October 2012, 08:02   #201
Senior - BHPian

Every local news channel reported about it, so it must be true. Also, they mentioned the victim guy's name. It is DJ Sasha (I hope I got the spelling right).

I feel the wrong step taken by the victim was to step out of the car. Police have a lot of attitude and they don't hesitate to show their authority on civilians. E.g., I was witnessed an inspector arguing with a medical shop guy about the price of a product and saying "if you talk too much, I'll kick you and put you inside" (in Kannada).

I guess it is better to obey the police as much as possible, instead of doing anything that challenges their ego/authority.
Old 11th October 2012, 11:57   #202
Senior - BHPian

Today morning while on my way to office I was behind a biker who was riding pretty decently and was wearing his helmet. Suddenly after a turn he was stopped by a policeman who was waiting there to catch offenders. I too stopped (because of an auto who was waiting to make a turn in front of me) and watched. Although I could not hear the conversation, I could make it out by their actions.

After being stopped, the biker immediately started protesting because he was wearing a helmet and had not broken any law. Then the policeman calmly told the biker that he had not stopped him for breaking the law and asked him which side he was going and then requested him to drop an elderly gentleman somewhere. The biker agreed and the elderly person got on the bike and thanked the policeman for his help.

Was the policeman right in stopping an unknown person and ask him to drop someone unknown to both him and the biker? Yes, he was right in trying to help the elderly person, but is he right to stop someone else? What are your thoughts on this?
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 12:13   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Was the policeman right in stopping an unknown person and ask him to drop someone unknown to both him and the biker? Yes, he was right in trying to help the elderly person, but is he right to stop someone else? What are your thoughts on this?
From an act perspective:
YES! if he was genuinely being helpful to an unknown elderly person!
NO! if the elderly gentleman was known to him and he was just trying to exert the authority of his uniform (for whatever reason!)
pariwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 12:30   #204
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Traffic Police FAQ. Nicely written with a human and not 'sarkari' touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Bangalore City Traffic Police

Found below point funny.
This clarification is very helpful IMO.
Its all very nice when written down. But: If someone (when very obviously NOT in the wrong) decides to argue about being stopped, what are the chances that the cop doesn't readily slap charges like "Lane Indiscipline" on him? Yes, it HAS happened!
I was stopped once, unfortunately had an expired Emission Certificate (oh, does a Honda Dio actually need a new scrap of that paper every 6 months anyway?) Cop (a one-star mind you, so receipt available and all) demands 100 bucks, offers no challan. I display my poverty, show 50 vonly. He agrees. I ask for receipt. He scrawls in wonderful English. I pocket it and scoot. Open it later, and the damn thing says LANE INDISCIPLINE!!! Or some misspelled version of the same!! Is it really possible to indulge in lane indiscipline in a narrow bylane of Indiranagar?

So how does one argue a Lane Indiscipline charge? Or, for that matter, "not using indicator/hand signal", "rash driving" etc? Its unreasonable!!!! They stop you, charge you, fine you. Pay it and fog up your visor with quiet rage? Or argue, and get caned like the incidents mentioned?

Whatcha gonna do???
Old 16th June 2013, 07:39   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Today morning while on my way to office I was behind a biker who was riding pretty decently and was wearing his helmet. Suddenly after a turn he was stopped by a which side he was going and then requested him to drop an elderly gentleman somewhere. The biker agreed and the elderly person got on the bike and thanked the policeman for his help.

He did a kind thing for which it would be churlish to fault him. As long as he was polite there is nothing wrong.
I ve stopped many a time to give lifts to cops and once or twice actually parked and allowed them to sit in the car out of the rain. I ve even bought those inexpensive sunglasses for one or two of them who were standing in the broiling sun near my old office. Years ago I ve given a lift to a poor constable who lives in Madas but was deputed to be on duty some 100 kms away near Pondicherry on account of a VIP visit and was not even given some transport to get there. I lived in Pondy at the time and was heading there that morning. During these VIP movements these poor cops are forced to stand without food, water or any normal humane things, through the hot day and sometimes well into the night. Imagine the pollution and the kind of pain they must be experiencing in their feet, encased in those heavy, badly designed footwear. My colleague and I have actually bought them some packed food and water sometimes in the earlier days in Chennai and Bangalore too. I do not appreciate social injustices of this kind, being meted out to lesser/ lower level public service people, especially when the so called VIP's in question are merely elected representatives of the public and who are thieves, scoundrels and corrupt filth.
Not all cops are bad. Most of them are really poor and have families to support too.
When you compare private service pay cheques and see what these poor blokes get paid one cannot but have some sympathy for them.
What a sad life it must be to be able to afford hardly anything, have to manage inflation, rising costs, taxes etc and keep earning a pathetic salary which was fixed some decades ago according to the cost of living index at that time and which has no relevance in todays world.
I feel bad for them in many ways.
However, I do not like or endorse nasty, dishonest and unfair cops.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th June 2013 at 07:48.
shankar.balan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2013, 09:14   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
He did a kind thing for which it would be churlish to fault him. As long as he was polite there is nothing wrong.
I ve stopped many a time to give lifts to cops and once or twice actually parked and allowed them to sit in the car out of the rain. I ve even bought those inexpensive sunglasses for one or two of them who were standing in the broiling sun near my old office. My colleague and I have actually bought them some packed food and water sometimes in the earlier days in Chennai and Bangalore too. I do not appreciate social injustices of this kind, being meted out to lesser/ lower level public service people, especially when the so called VIP's in question are merely elected representatives of the public and who are thieves, scoundrels and corrupt filth.
Its so good to know there are people who care about others. It really does give you good feeling and one wants to emulate the same. Good on you Shankar!

I have given the odd lift to the cops and in my interactions whenever stopped I have found them behaving well with me, like asking. 'Sir, what's your name? Where are you going?". All this in order to check if I was drunk. I appreciate this as these guys make our roads safer by keeping drunk drivers away.

However you do find that odd cop who is simply interested in making money. But this is simply a reflection of our society. You have good people and bad people and one would encounter them in every sphere of life.

The one thing I absolutely discourage is paying a bribe. I have no problems paying a find of 500 legally, than trying to bribe a cop 100-200. If you have made a mistake you should pay for it.
Old 16th June 2013, 10:45   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
The one thing I absolutely discourage is paying a bribe. I have no problems paying a find of 500 legally, than trying to bribe a cop 100-200. If you have made a mistake you should pay for it.
Yes. I agree. I would rather pay for my mistake legally than try and bribe my way out of it. However, as far as possible it is best to avoid situations which call for a fine!
Old 10th July 2013, 10:12   #208
Senior - BHPian

Today I had a bad experience at Graphite India signal, because of the inefficiencies of Bangalore Traffic Police.

I was approaching the junction from Vydehi hospital side, and I had to take right turn. The signal was green for a while, and I was behind a Force Traveller. The Traveller proceeded to take the right, and suddenly half way through the turn. I too stopped behind it, even though I could see that the signal was still green. I had already crossed the stop line by then (which is invisible anyway). Then I noticed the police inspector. He had stopped the Traveller, and had let the traffic from our left side to go. Then the inspector kept on shouting at the Traveller.

After a minute or so, the signal finally turned red. The best part was, there was no amber phase. The transition was direct from green to red! At that moment, the Traveller escaped. Then the inspector went to his bike and took out the digicam. I was a sitting duck, right in the middle of the junction. He clicked my car's photo. So I asked him why he stopped us when the signal was green, and let the traffic at the red light go. He said, he tries to adjust the traffic such that, when there is a delay on one side, he opens another side. I said, that confused me, and I couldn't spot him as he was hidden from me by the Traveller and all I could see was the green signal, so I proceeded to take the turn. He then asked, "don't you have any common sense?". I was now thoroughly confused. Where does common sense come into picture here? But I couldn't blame him even for his fault (he is an inspector after all). I said I'd have surely stopped if I had seen him. Then he said he'll delete the photo. But I am sure he said that just to stop me from talking. I am afraid, I am going to get a ticket soon. That would be my first moving offence, for no fault of mine! I do not have any proof to show that I was not at fault. The inspector has a photo of me idling in the middle of the road!

I should have followed the Traveller when he broke the signal, but I did not, thinking it would be illegal. So much for following the rules! Do I have any option not to pay fine (if I recieve the ticket by post)?
Old 10th July 2013, 23:47   #209
Senior - BHPian

Rohan, that is the irony, people who follow rules are penalized, those who flaunt all the rules just escape...
In most of the signals, you can see some morons jumping signals & no one to stop & challan them...
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 00:30   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
In most of the signals, you can see some morons jumping signals & no one to stop & challan them...
IMO it might also depend on which COP is manning the junction. You can see bikers and cabs jumping signals right underneath their nose and you can see COPS are either least bothered or too lazy to notice it.

I still remember there used to be a traffic COP who manned cauvery theatre junction (Not sure whether he is still there) and people who dont obey him, especially the bikers, he used to get physical with them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks