Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 17:28   #181
BHPian

Hope for Bangalore traffic!!!!!!

I'd lost hope for Bangalore traffic long ago, as well as my trust in BTP, thanks to the Addl. CP's lackluster approach. But now the City Police Commissioner seems to have brought in a new ray of hope for all of us.

He recently came down heavily by "court marshaling" the traffic police dept. including Mr Sood.

Some excerpts from the newspaper report

"Mirji labelled the police traffic department the most corrupt and blamed them for bringing the entire force into disrepute by their “extortionist” ways. "

“Thank god, traffic at least moves in the central parts of the city. The situation is pathetic on the outskirts as traffic policemen are hardly seen. Instead, you stand on the Ring Road and collect fines. The traffic police’s job is to enforce rules and facilitate smooth flow of vehicles. We are not a revenue generation agency,”
"
“You are more interested in stopping people, snatching bike keys and collecting fines instead of regulating traffic. Auto drivers play havoc with commuters. They stop vehicles at their will and disturb the flow of traffic. Auto drivers resort to collection of excess fare during evening hours and refuse to ply commuters to their destination. You people do nothing about these things. Complaints from the common man hardly gets your ear,” Mirji said."

“You people form groups, stop motorists and collect money from them,” Mirji said. “God only knows whether you collect fines or bribes. Stop this behaviour and instead go and regulate traffic at junctions. Your presence will instil fear among offenders and facilitate smooth movement of vehicles.”

While coming down heavily on junior rank officials for their uncourteous and rude behaviour “even with women”, Mirji also lashed out at senior officers. “People hardly know who the ACP is in their area because you people sit in your chambers and behave like postmen.”

Complete report: ‘Stop your extortionist ways’

This is probably the 1st time a CITY police commissioner has had enough of this nonsense on the roads, and says that all this will stop.
In fact, the Addl. CTP had repeatedly instigated me among others, by saying stuff like "we will keep 'fining' law abiding citizens", "there is nothing like NO PARKING on flyovers", "We register only 1% cases of all the violations", "We can't impose seatbelt and pillion helmet rules due to public opposition", "We cannot spot fine buses", "why are you targetting only policemen breaking the rules auto drivers, post violations of other vehicles also" challenging people to put devanagiri lipi no. plates when there are several police vehicles with illegal no. plates, etc. on the BTP Fb Page..

Now THIS is comes as a HUGE relief:
Sood is due for a promotion and Mirji wants to replace him with an officer who is more hands-on in his approach.
Old 4th July 2011, 17:41   #182
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hope for Bangalore traffic!!!!!!

Is it actually the CPC talking the right things or actually doing good work, or him just shooting off Addl CP so he can get in his puppet?

There is always more than meets the eye. In India.
Old 4th July 2011, 17:47   #183
Team-BHP Support

Well, finally someone says something!

Couldn't agree more about policemen being more interested in fines than manning junctions.

In IT, we have this thing called as a SLA (Service Level Agreement); bet the cops have to meet their SLA w.r.t fines!

He's sent this nice memo and all; I just hope it translates into action. The 3 sections of traffic that the cops should be strict with viz. autos, cab drivers, buses; that is still not happening.

Let's see some change first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Is it actually the CPC talking the right things or actually doing good work, or him just shooting off Addl CP so he can get in his puppet?

There is always more than meets the eye. In India.
When I first read your post, I was like "oh c'mon!". Within a second, I was like, "ain't that so true".

Aren't we a cynical society!
Old 4th July 2011, 17:55   #184
BANNED

Wow! I am rubbing my eyes as I read this .... too good to be true!

I hope he can really bring some change to this city.

--Ragul
Old 4th July 2011, 17:59   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Now THIS is comes as a HUGE relief:
Sood is due for a promotion and Mirji wants to replace him with an officer who is more hands-on in his approach.
There's a Sin behind every Fortune.

This guy is trying to creating a market for himself for the promotion.

However, I would appreciate it if this guy sticks to his words. A good deed is always a Welcome.
Old 4th July 2011, 18:18   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
When I first read your post, I was like "oh c'mon!". Within a second, I was like, "ain't that so true".

Aren't we a cynical society!
I've seen more than my fair share of corrupt officers with an agenda but nice words in NCR in the last so many years. Things keep going from bad to worse.

I'd prefer if he would've actually changed a single process/problem on the ground than shooting off in a newspaper.

All of us can point out how Sachin should have or could have batted. Only Sachin has batted the way he has done. Time for the CPC to show follow through.
Old 28th December 2011, 22:24   #187
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore Traffic Police - What's Wrong?

This happened to my colleagues and I today.

We stepped out for lunch and wanted to take an auto from Madivala to Koramangala but the auto driver we spoke to refused to comply with meter and demanded excess fare.

The traffic police stationed nearby (in front of Total Mall, Madivala) saw this and helped us even without asking for their help.

One inspector in a jeep told us to sms the details to a number while another official went and got an auto for us. We were stumped to be honest. Did not expect this at all... Imagine a traffic cop seeing us become unsuccessful with just ONE auto and walks ahead, flags one down, rides in the auto to where we were and asks us to board it.

Kudos to Bangalore Traffic Police.

Last edited by n_aditya : 28th December 2011 at 22:27.
n_aditya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 09:20   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
This happened to my colleagues and I today.

We stepped out for lunch and wanted to take an auto from Madivala to Koramangala but the auto driver we spoke to refused to comply with meter and demanded excess fare.

The traffic police stationed nearby (in front of Total Mall, Madivala) saw this and helped us even without asking for their help.

One inspector in a jeep told us to sms the details to a number while another official went and got an auto for us. We were stumped to be honest. Did not expect this at all... Imagine a traffic cop seeing us become unsuccessful with just ONE auto and walks ahead, flags one down, rides in the auto to where we were and asks us to board it.

Kudos to Bangalore Traffic Police.
Thats awesome news. People like him need to be appreciated and acknowledged in media. I try and give when I see some of BTP doing good work.
Old 29th December 2011, 09:42   #189
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Three months ago on a very rainy and wet day I was driving around near Command Hospital. The traffic policeman stationed there was standing in the pouring rain and trying to make some sense of order out of the chaos. I stopped for a bit, asked him to get into the car till the rain abated a bit, chatted with him for a bit and when the rain let up, I buzzed off. That cop simply said to me in our conversation that no one, especially in government, gives two hoots about their well being.

These poor guys arent even given a proper shelter in which to stand. Nor are they given any kind of Rainwear. If it is a hot sunny day, they need sunglasses atleast - but since these are expensive, there is no chance!
Most importantly our city is ridiculously polluted - very poor air quality. If you are used to driving a car everyday and once in a while take an auto to get somewhere,believe me, you will get to know exactly how terrible plain breathing can be! In a scenario like this, can our poor traffic police not be provided with face masks which are changed on a regular basis?

So next time, if at all one gets into trouble, for breaking a lane, missing a signal, parking in the wrong place, over speeding etc, and one gets caught by the traffic police, before grumbling, lets take a moment and spare a thought for the horrendous operating conditions in which they are expected to perform their duty and lets just use a bit of politeness.
shankar.balan is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 10:43   #190
BHPian

About a few months ago, when I used to stay near Total Mall, Old airport road, this particular incident happened:

I was late for my office(E City) and my shuttle was at Ejipura Junction when I received a call from wifey telling me that my infant daughter had scalded her head. She was in my wife's lap and was about to be given a bath when she decided to jump out of her lap and in the process, her head was scalded by the steel pan full of hot water.

I panicked and got down at Ejipura signal. For teh uninitiated, no auto would stop at that place during peak office hours. Seeing me in distress, the traffic policeman comes up to me and asks what happened. On listening to my story, he promptly hauls up an autorickshaw and tells him to take me home immediately and instructs me to pay the meter fare only.

May he be blessed
adg_andy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 10:56   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
These poor guys arent even given a proper shelter in which to stand. Nor are they given any kind of Rainwear. If it is a hot sunny day, they need sunglasses atleast - but since these are expensive, there is no chance! ............ In a scenario like this, can our poor traffic police not be provided with face masks which are changed on a regular basis?
Commendable act on your part Shankar. Totally agree with your post above. To add to it, the corruption at work, bureaucracy, bias, abuses from seniors, etc. that they have to deal with in the workplace coupled with really long hours, dealing with scum on an everyday basis, really makes me wonder what keeps them going at their jobs. Hats off to these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Seeing me in distress, the traffic policeman comes up to me and asks what happened. On listening to my story, he promptly hauls up an autorickshaw and tells him to take me home immediately and instructs me to pay the meter fare only.

May he be blessed
+1 Andy. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Not all cops are corrupt or here to make life hell for us. Its really great to see that the cops are becoming more citizen friendly.

P.S. Hope your kid is doing great now.

Last edited by n_aditya : 29th December 2011 at 10:58.
Old 11th January 2012, 10:27   #192
BHPian

Bangalore Traffic Police FAQ. Nicely written with a human and not 'sarkari' touch.

Bangalore City Traffic Police

Found below point funny.
Quote:
Who can receive payment of spot fine?
Only Asst. Sub-Inspector (one star), Police Sub-Inspector (two star) and Police Inspector (three star) are authorized to receive payments against violation and issue a receipt. No Police Constable or head constable can issue a receipt and therefore receive a payment. They can however record the violations on the basis of which violation ticket will follow. This ticket can be settled at any of the traffic police stations or Bangalore-One center or on Bangalore Traffic Police website. Incase a Constable or Head Constable threatens you with spot fine, insist on getting receipt and the chances are that he will let you go because he is not authorized to issue a receipt or receive money.
This clarification is very helpful IMO.
Quote:
If a motorist is stopped by a traffic policeman only for checking his documents, what step should he take?
As per an order given to all traffic policemen, they are not supposed to stop any motorist just for checking documents. The motorist has the right to refuse the officer's request. However, a motorist's documents can be checked if he has committed an offence. If a motorist has been stopped without reason, he can note down the name and rank of the police officer and lodge a complaint on the website or email us at addlcptrafficbcp@gmail.com . The complainant would be required to mention certain specific details, such as the place, time and name of the officer concerned, for us to take action. We do receive complaints of the kind from motorists, and we have taken action against guilty police officers - some of whom have even been suspended for violating the order. However, when motorists who have violated traffic rules are stopped, they should not argue with the officers concerned.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 10:10   #193
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Here is the flipside!
This morning near Sony World Signal in Koramangala - 0830hrs.
Just look at this clodhopping Police Driver!

This picture should go to the TOI and be published on the front page! 16th Jan 2012. 0830hrs. Sony World Junction Koramangala. Trax Vehicle. No KA-03-G-802.
I couldn't snap what he did immediately after my taking this pic.
He casually turned right while the signal was RED, cut through the traffic and buzzed off onto the Inner Ring Road!!
Ridiculous behaviour.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore Traffic Police - What's Wrong?-16012012783.jpg  

Bangalore Traffic Police - What's Wrong?-16012012784.jpg  

Bangalore Traffic Police - What's Wrong?-16012012785.jpg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th January 2012 at 10:13.
Old 17th January 2012, 17:16   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Three months ago on a very rainy and wet day I was driving around near Command Hospital. The traffic policeman stationed there was standing in the pouring rain and trying to make some sense of order out of the chaos. I stopped for a bit, asked him to get into the car till the rain abated a bit, chatted with him for a bit and when the rain let up, I buzzed off. That cop simply said to me in our conversation that no one, especially in government, gives two hoots about their well being.

These poor guys arent even given a proper shelter in which to stand. Nor are they given any kind of Rainwear. If it is a hot sunny day, they need sunglasses atleast - but since these are expensive, there is no chance!
Most importantly our city is ridiculously polluted - very poor air quality. If you are used to driving a car everyday and once in a while take an auto to get somewhere,believe me, you will get to know exactly how terrible plain breathing can be! In a scenario like this, can our poor traffic police not be provided with face masks which are changed on a regular basis?

So next time, if at all one gets into trouble, for breaking a lane, missing a signal, parking in the wrong place, over speeding etc, and one gets caught by the traffic police, before grumbling, lets take a moment and spare a thought for the horrendous operating conditions in which they are expected to perform their duty and lets just use a bit of politeness.
If the government doesnt care about them, then why dont they just go on strike and shut down the whole damn city? Maybe then somebody would look after their well being. I feel bad that they have to work in conditions like this, but they should be trying to change things.
Old 18th January 2012, 07:56   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
If the government doesnt care about them, then why dont they just go on strike and shut down the whole damn city? Maybe then somebody would look after their well being. I feel bad that they have to work in conditions like this, but they should be trying to change things.
Easier said than done. The shitty government will put in place essential service act in place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks