Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 00:30   #16
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Are the pump owners worried that the 1 litre bottle won't measure up when they fill 1 litre? Apart from that I don't find any reason why they shouldn't fill in bottles. Anyone can fill petrol in their bikes and later remove it by a tube on to a bottle.
I've bought petrol in cans (old engine oil cans) in chennai and udupi when I've ran out of petrol years back.
Old 24th March 2010, 00:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, this rule is there to avoid unsafe and dangerous transport of petrol (or any other combustible material for that matter).

In such cases, a simpler approach than pushing the car is to get the petrol out of a 2-wheeler and fill it up.
Old 24th March 2010, 01:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
In Bangalore only shell wont give you petrol in bottles.
Other bunks usually give. My friends bike ran out of fuel once and I had taken a pepsi bottle to a near by bunk. They filled it up without any problems.
But shell also has their own aluminum can placed in a wooden box filled with jute which they lend. For this you'll have to make a deposit of Rs.300/- which is redeemable when you return the can. They say it is a safety norm that they follow. Which I think is good, considering there is some norm they are trying to achieve.
Old 24th March 2010, 02:09   #19
BHPian

shell bunk

I guess it depends on who the people are at a time as some are flexible to help and some go by norms but yes they do help with aluminium cans at a deposit rate.

Otherwise I have seen this is more in cities as if you move away and in outskirts we never have any issues.

Local language does help a long way in getting things to work in your favor
Old 24th March 2010, 02:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
We have this rule in Goa for the same reason. However if you show your RC they have to give you petrol in a bottle or can. It's 4 litres for a Car and 1 litre for a bike. I'm sure the same rule has to be applicable all over India. Even if it is not just tell the pump guy that you are entitled to it as per rule number so and so, sub paragraph 3.2 etc etc or whatever you can think off.

Not sure about this as most of the Generators in Goa run on diesel and you can buy as much diesel as you like in a can. (people use 200 litre drums to transport diesel to trawlers and locations where generators are installed).
Nope they said they will not fill it in any container whatsoever. I would have showed him the RC but he said its impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Quickdraw, IIRC there is a rule that says you can buy petrol only in approved containers - i.e, Jerrycans made for storing fuel.

@genesis : hoarding how much - a bottle of petrol ?
Nope he said he will not put it in anything except a vehicle. PERIOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
strange
were u carrying glass bottle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
I think it has to do with the law and order situation. The town where I studied used to be a communal hot spot. Whenever there was an incident, the cops used to issue directives to the pumps not to dispense petrol in containers. You are located in Pune? If so, I guess, the recent blasts might be the reason.

There is not much logic in that line of reasoning of the police, though.
I did mention if I wanted to blow stuff up, I can buy cheap whiskey and make Molotov cocktails. Or better still that cheap liquor thats killing people its cheaper then petrol and just as combustible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I think it's to due to the fact that petrol can be used to make petrol bombs, can be used in arson and looting etc - not really from a hoarding perspective.

I've been given petrol though in a bisleri bottle in Bangalore.
Read above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
@ Live To Jive I never heard such a rule in Goa. In fact I have seen tourists bikes running out of petrol and they somehow manage to reach petrol pump and come back with petrol in 1 ltr bottle!!

Apart from that petrol is commonly available in Goa, people keep petrol in mineral water bottles for sale

@quickdraw, buddy did you ask them in local language? Believe me it does make lot of difference
Yeah they are sold like that at Baga. I talked to them in Marathi and all man, they were not ready to budge. Not the cops not the petrol pump guys. I was ready to bribe then 500 rupees for 50 rupees worth of fuel just to save my dignity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Are the pump owners worried that the 1 litre bottle won't measure up when they fill 1 litre? Apart from that I don't find any reason why they shouldn't fill in bottles. Anyone can fill petrol in their bikes and later remove it by a tube on to a bottle.
I've bought petrol in cans (old engine oil cans) in chennai and udupi when I've ran out of petrol years back.
Exactly, its insane right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
AFAIK, this rule is there to avoid unsafe and dangerous transport of petrol (or any other combustible material for that matter).

In such cases, a simpler approach than pushing the car is to get the petrol out of a 2-wheeler and fill it up.
Yeah right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post
But shell also has their own aluminum can placed in a wooden box filled with jute which they lend. For this you'll have to make a deposit of Rs.300/- which is redeemable when you return the can. They say it is a safety norm that they follow. Which I think is good, considering there is some norm they are trying to achieve.
Damn I wish there was a shell bunk around. I went to three of them HP, BP and Indian Oil. All of them flatly refused and were misbehaving and arrogant.
Old 24th March 2010, 02:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well this rule exists in majority of the bunks in mumbai. No idea what the reason is for but security is what i feel.
Old 24th March 2010, 04:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

I had faced this a while ago. I was told it is for security reasons, and the government does not want you making petrol bombs out of the fuel you buy in bottles. This is more the case if the area is a sensitive one.
Old 24th March 2010, 06:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Adding my 2 cents of experience; I've been told once from my regular petrol pump guys that they're not supposed to fill fuel other than vehicles (like in the form of can etc) & the reason they said were to avoid reselling fuel grey market; when I asked them how does it matter with one bottle, they also agreed that its OK for one bottle but not with respect to cans. Again to contrary, I always have this habit of carrying petrol in cans whenever I drive long distances & there were no questions when I fill(once in Trichy, Salem, Hosur & Chennai); every week I fill in additional fuel in a 3 litre can to avoid multiple visits to my regular fuel station.

So, I assume in your case that these guys deliberately refused selling to you, probably expecting for some extra money in the early hours & knowing you cannot be helped.

On a lighter note - what if you'd made a petrol bomb using one litre of bottle

Last edited by aargee : 24th March 2010 at 06:03.
Old 24th March 2010, 06:09   #24
Team-BHP Support

Did not even know that there is a rule like that. At least will be careful. Any way I work from Tank to Tank. Whenever the level goes ~40% of totally, I tank up again. That way I always work with a 15L margin minimum!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2010, 09:13   #25
BANNED

Quote:
@ Live To Jive I never heard such a rule in Goa. In fact I have seen tourists bikes running out of petrol and they somehow manage to reach petrol pump and come back with petrol in 1 ltr bottle!!
That's exactly what I'm saying. You are entitled to 1 litre petrol for a bike in a bottle if you show your RC (the pump may or may not demand it but they cannot refuse if you show the RC). Tourists (on rental bikes) don't have the RC so generally the pump will not refuse tourists.

Quote:
Apart from that petrol is commonly available in Goa, people keep petrol in mineral water bottles for sale
This is different. This petrol is procured from "Other" sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Yeah they are sold like that at Baga. I talked to them in Marathi and all man, they were not ready to budge. Not the cops not the petrol pump guys. I was ready to bribe then 500 rupees for 50 rupees worth of fuel just to save my dignity.
Avoid talking in Marathi & Hindi to the Cops. If you don't know Konkani, speak in English. They somehow feel that English speaking Indian tourists are not the trouble maker type. BTW can you PM me the name/s of the Cop/s who were harrassing you.
Old 24th March 2010, 09:31   #26
SMK
BHPian

Its a strict NO NO to sell petrol or any kind of inflamable liquid in a container which is not certified to carry such liquids out here in Australia. According to the rules the petrol bunk owner can be jailed or his licence to sell petrol cancelled if he was found selling petrol in bottles.

I myself would support such a rule on the following counts:
1. Petrol is highly inflammable and can catch fire to the person/surroundings and hence should not be carried around
2. Crimes reported accross the world indicate use of these liquids. (Be it 1 ltr, half ltr or even 100ml, you can burn a person's face off!)
3. Its highly unsafe to carry around such liquids. Period.
Old 24th March 2010, 10:36   #27

Well in my state, atleast in cities they have stop giving petrol in bottles since the 2002 riots, i have seen what a litre of petrol can do. But its easily available when we move out of cities.
Old 24th March 2010, 15:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

In Poona, I have experienced that some bunks do refuse to fill petrol in any container. Many do however, without any fuss. And luckily for me, my fav bunks have never made an issue with it. Though I'v almost never run out of petrol in any of my vehicles, it has happened when I was on a friend's vehicle. Also, there was a time when my bike usage was so low that I used to get a 2 lt plastic jerry can filled from the bunk where I used to fill up my car and then come home and dunk the jerry can into my bike. That saved me another long trip to the bunk. Luckily the bunks never made an issue out of it.
Old 24th March 2010, 15:51   #29
BHPian

This rule can be ammended such that any of the Petrol bunk/Service personnel would accompany the person who is in need of the fuel and refuel the tank incase of emergency.
It would be really tough for the people to push the tons weight car near the fuel pump.
Major precaution is to keep in mind, to have atleast am ample amount of fuel presence before any trip. Also, I have personally seen traffic authorities checking for fuel levels of two wheelers at Hubli.
Old 24th March 2010, 15:59   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Avoid talking in Marathi & Hindi to the Cops. If you don't know Konkani, speak in English. They somehow feel that English speaking Indian tourists are not the trouble maker type. BTW can you PM me the name/s of the Cop/s who were harrassing you.
Dude the incident happened in Pune not in Goa.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks