Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 20:47   #16
BHPian

I feel more than 90% of the speed breakers are not as per guidelines. Most of the speed breakers appears suddenly after a accident.

In some areas there are almost 1/2 feet high speed breakers, these have been put for buses and trucks but others suffer due to it. Best example for it is TV tower - RT Nagar road in Bangalore. It has more than 5 big speed breakers. These had been put after several BMTC accidents in this stretch, but many cars find it difficult to pass it.
Old 18th February 2010, 21:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
I feel more than 90% of the speed breakers are not as per guidelines.
I would say you are optimistic here. Hardly 1% of the speed breakers are as per guidelines.
Old 18th February 2010, 21:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
bro if you take a right into hiranandani from the jogeshwari link road none of the speedbreakers are marked on that road.
oh, do you mean the rear entrance (that road was under construction recently)? if so, that road does not belong to hiranandani. hiranandani territory ends at "forest street" (L. H. Hiranandani foundation school).

anyways, thats OT. the main discussion here is unmarked speed breakers!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 18th February 2010 at 21:08.
Old 18th February 2010, 21:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't be surprised if speed breakers start appearing on major highways, in an effort to reduce accidents.On the contrary,these speed breaks cause a lot of vehicles to screech to a halt, and if one person's unlucky, they'd end up skidding off the road.If nothing else,a hard hit and the occupants (who don't have seat belts on) would be launched right into the roof of the car and get injured.Happened to some relatives of mine, and one of them had to be rushed in for surgery after cracking his skull on impact.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

This reminds me!

The Bombay-Goa highway has rumble strips while going uphill in the ghats at Ganpatipule.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:19   #21
BHPian

I think bangalore mys road is worst when it comes to speed breakers. Hope every one agrees to it.

Funniest part is this road the Zebra crossing and humps are painted in white. So whenever you travelling in night make sure u apply brakes on speed breakers not zebra crossing.

i had this worst experience till now. Applying brakes on zebra crossing and jumping speed brakers. Have learnt it hard time.

Another instance.

the regular route i take to travel my office from 2 yrs. i had to take off for a week. To my horror after a week i see there another 4 speed brakers newly constructed without any markings.

I feel if they go in this pace then roads will only be made of speed brakers.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:23   #22
BHPian

For me, its 36 humps every day from home to office and 34 humps back from the office. I also end meeting more humps if i get to travel in the city.

and Godlur, none of these humps are highlighted & the profiles and sizes are absolutely different.

As somebody mentioned here i see none of the humps are technically done and mostly made by the community people.

Offlate in Bangalore, they have started making a new type of hump which has a flat platform kinda of thing with slopes on both sides. This, i found all the more irritating.

Some kind of movement has to be by people of Bangalore to get rid of unwanted humps. I see that the humps are only increasing everyday in Bangalore. The roads cutting across crossroads have one hump on each side.

Something needs to be done for sure in Bangalore, rather Humpsgalore !!!

Last edited by nandans2005 : 19th February 2010 at 10:24.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
What? a bump as you get down from a flyover? This is hights of insanity.

Phoenix, is this bump on the byepass flyover or on the new flyover that goes in to the town? I will watch out the next time I go through that place.
The padi (Chennai) flyover has couple of speed bumps creating a panic stop button.

Some of the speed bumps on the outskirts are like mini walls. They scrap the bottom no matter how you climb over them.
My Linea's bottom has hit each and every speed bumps in chennai.

Last edited by bnzjon : 19th February 2010 at 10:33.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:57   #24
BHPian

Talking about speed breakers I need to negotiate on a daily basis a very special one. The speed breaker has a pot hole just after it and i rarely miss scratching my Ritz's beneath.
Old 19th February 2010, 11:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
The padi (Chennai) flyover has couple of speed bumps creating a panic stop button.

Some of the speed bumps on the outskirts are like mini walls. They scrap the bottom no matter how you climb over them.
My Linea's bottom has hit each and every speed bumps in chennai.
Ponnamalle Flyover has a big concrete speed breaker. That too, u are entering the city from the highway, traveling at 100 kmph you come down the flyover... BANG!. One can see millions of scrap marks on the road.

During my annual visit to sabarimala, there is a shortcut that could be taken from Erumeli to Pampa. This road is very small but smooth road, but there are 5 speed breakers, what is different you may ask. They are reverse of a speed breaker. instead of being elevate speed breaker these are underground i.e they are carved into the road. Hope you understand what i mean.
Old 19th February 2010, 11:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Most of the speed breakers appears suddenly after a accident.
Spot on. It's like a speed breaker is the latest knee jerk reaction.

Sadly, a friend's dad lost his life due to one such overnight speed breaker constructed right outside my school.

His rickshaw got sandwiched between two dumper trucks. The truck ahead did an emergency braking maneuver on noticing the breaker at the last moment, and the truck behind didn't stop in time.

Apparantly a student had been involved in a hit-and-run the day before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
The Bombay-Goa highway has rumble strips while going uphill in the ghats at Ganpatipule.
These rumbler strips are before Hathkhamba (when approaching from Goa).
Old 19th February 2010, 12:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

There are many speedbrakers that have cropped up due to maintenance work from Harihar to Chitradurga. These too are unmarked and varying in sizes.
In the night I rely on the brake lights of people ahead of me to know there is either a ditch or an unmarked hump.
Old 19th February 2010, 15:34   #28
BHPian

The way to recognize you have arrived in Bangalore is when the Speedbreakers become more and more on the roads.

Bangalore should be renamed Humpy (No relation to Hampi)
Old 19th February 2010, 18:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Speed breakers!!! please come to Bangalore we have lot of them without marking/different size/shape etc.
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Phoenix, is this bump on the byepass flyover or on the new flyover that goes in to the town? I will watch out the next time I go through that place.
Its the flyover that comes right before Poonamallee bus stand. I am bad at naming places

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Its so frustrating that i feel like buying one of those cars from Rumble in the Bronx's climax!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Ponnamalle Flyover has a big concrete speed breaker. That too, u are entering the city from the highway, traveling at 100 kmph you come down the flyover... BANG!. One can see millions of scrap marks on the road.
Guess we are talking about the same damn thing - man, I want a JCB to dig that thing out and shove it on the engineer / whoever who thought of having it there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Speed breakers!!! please come to Bangalore we have lot of them without marking/different size/shape etc.
O yeah - guess it is bane of every place I travel to :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks