Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2010, 23:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

This post is a perfect example of how overconfident a driver can be.
Sorry, but your post has so many contradictions and i feel that your conclusion that you learnt the lesson of your life is just an excuse to post this incident and pics.
I'm being brutally honest here. Your friend was reckless and could have killed any number of people.
I don't see the difference between a lorry driver who attempts a rash overtaking move and hits another vehicle and possibly even kills / injures someone and your friend. Or for that matter a drunk BMW driver!!
Even the lorry driver/BMW driver at that point is thinking that he is the best driver in the world and is driving fast but safe! And after the accident he too goes and tells his friend that he is thankful that he escaped and has now learnt his lesson
Quote:
he is the BEST driver I have ever seen and he is a brother to me
Really - the best driver would not have tried this kinda driving especially if his brother was with him.
Quote:
It was not something new though and it was not rash driving either.
What!! If it was not rash then how on earth did the accident happen??!!
What you have done is also illegal - overspeeding and rash driving and endangering public property and life. And since you have bravely posted it in a public forum I hope the law authorities catch you and at least fine or file a case against your friend.
Quote:
The Honda people $cr##ed up.
They will be telling the same about you!!
Quote:
It is too eager to catch on you everytime you make mistakes like this.
I will believe the bit about learning your lesson after 5 years.

I'm glad that you brought out the importance of wearing seat belts etc in your post, but the tone of your post and the way you describe the thrill and the 'safe driving' of your friend kinda takes away attention from the safety bits.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 15th January 2010 at 23:28.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2010, 23:27   #32
BANNED

well there seems to be negligible damage to the roof of the car.
anyways you guys are pretty lucky to be alive
Old 16th January 2010, 00:14   #33

i am amazed !

With all due respect to the all of the people who have posted above, including the OP, and please excuse me for being a newbie to the site, I fail to understand how we are responding to this situation.

The OP has clearly described an extremely dangerous,rash and illegal course of action employed by his friend in not the most favorable conditions, with no justification (emergency etc) seeking some 'thrills'/'experience'/'adrenaline-rush'.

The magnitude of how dangerous it was cannot be understated. Not only were the lives of the OP and his friend in grave danger, they also posed a severe risk to life and limb of everybody who happened to be on and around the entire stretch where they went about merrily laying rubber.

Lets not forget friends, safe and reliable car or not, outside the city road or not, speeds close to 200 kmph are atleast 3 times the maximum speed they should have been doing. I understand the enthusiast nature of the member fraternity, but this kind of behaviour cannot, or rather should not, be condoned. The responses I have seen so far seem to be of a rather indulgent dont-do-that-again-u've-learnt-your-lesson gentle rap on the knuckles kind

Having said that, the fact that the roof looks pristine and rear right window glass is intact seems to suggest 'something'

Last edited by Dippy : 28th January 2010 at 09:48. Reason: Post edited: Only two smilies per post are allowed.
Old 16th January 2010, 00:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

Modern cars are very safe. But that does not give us the license to take unnecessary risks off the track. Drive safe and don't be sorry.
Old 16th January 2010, 00:42   #35
BHPian

First up, Good to see you around even now.

187 clicks into a bend. The guy didn't see it coming at all. First sign of a mistake. Impossible to clear the kink at that entry speed unless he decided to cut corners or something which coming to think of it must have been his idea and gives a good enough reason for you to find yourself on the other side of the road catapulting so many times after having hit the divider. Anyway, Iam only speculating.

The urge to drive fast and breeze through corners at high speeds is a native urge for some. I believe its a genuinely valid urge too. But it needs to be executed on track and never on road. Take the beast to a track and fly through corners and that is the best way to learn car control.
megazoid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2010, 00:50   #36
BANNED

In many states in the US, driving 'x' kmph over the posted speed limit is a jailable offense - i.e. you don't just get a ticket, but may be put in jail also. The 'X' is different in different states - in some driving 30 mph over speed limit is jailable, in some it may be more or less.

I wish they implement laws like these in India also.
Driving on an Indian road at 190 kmph really ought to be a jailable offense.
Old 16th January 2010, 01:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

Too many people have written too many things already which could have made you think twice Pancham,

From what I have driven the civic and seen,

Very soft suspension, drives better than older model Hondas but anything above 150 it's like a boat in a fast flowing river, the Type R civic with all the mods overall is a crazy driver's car to some extent, but the Indian civic is a joke in front of it.
Stock suspension, stock tyres, 180+ KMPH on a bend, long or short curve is an invitation to trouble.
Just by flicking the steering around in traffic or highways one does not become a VERY GOOD DRIVER. Maybe you friend was usually very stable compared to what I think he is, and maybe he just got carried away, That said, NEVER try that stunt again on a Civic, it's just not the car. I have unfortunately seen accidents worse than u have described on the 06+ Civics in Bangalore.

Also, 10 lakhs plus repair costs ? I reckon this is a total loss vehicle in terms of insurance norms, how is it getting repaired at all ?

I don't want to take names, but if you were here for few of those yelagiri drives here where some drivers in front (not me) do above 190 all the time till there, without much problems..... I think you guys would not have done what you did on that wet day.
I am not proud of what I witnessed on those drives, but the thing is if you do such speeds in the way we have seen ...... then I think probably the guy who was driving that civic on your fateful day would have chilled out and not driven the car beyond it's limits.

The civic sounded like a ferrari over that curve ? Lets not even get into that now

Last edited by blueraven316 : 16th January 2010 at 01:07.
blueraven316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2010, 01:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for your comments. I know it was a mistake and I have learnt quite a few things from it. I would like to say sorry to all my fellow members who were hurt after reading about the incident. I appreciate their comments and I have proven to be a very bad car enthusiast(although i was not even driving).
Last word: Please drive safely and do consider safety over anything else in the world.
Friends do forgive me and I would appreciate your advice in near future.
Old 16th January 2010, 01:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

It is with mixed and contrary feelings that I write.

First, it was an accident. Needless and stupid accident but still an accident. So please let us not get into the blame game.

I am glad that Pancham and his friend got out of it alive and that no one else was injured.

That being said here is my two bits:

The driver was going waaay too fast.

Wet roads give only a fraction of the grip that dry roads do so, the speed should be far less than on a dry road. One should cut speeds well before a turn on a wet road.

Drizzles, particularly ones after a dry spell are the worst, they make the surface slimy by dissolving all the grease, oil and dust on the road - if you do not believe me, take a bit on your finger the next time it drizzles and see how slippery it is. A good hard rain washes away all the muck from the road is therefore better than a drizzle.

If the other cars seem they are stationary as you pass them it is because they have slowed down while you have speeded up. Perhaps they know something that you do not and have slowed down for a very good reason. You would do well to slow down too. It might just be OK to keep a speed slightly higher than the other traffic and pass them but to do twice or even three times their speed is sheer foolhardiness.

It might be ok to touch speeds like 180 if the conditions permit - i.e. good clear roads (grippy surface, straight road, clear line of vision, no traffic) otherwise speeds like that are clearly ruled out.

Any adverse conditions like wet roads, broken surface, surface with less grip (eg. most concrete roads), rain, fog, sand/gravel or any other foreign substance on road, curves, bends, darkness etc. should be answered with a reduction in speed or even a drastic reduction in speed.

The front airbags are deployed only if there is a direct impact from the front. In this case the car hit the divider on its side, the bumper will come off if there is a blow to it from the side at an angle. If the car is equipped with side airbags (in the seats) or side air-curtains, these should have come out. They are designed to protect the occupants in case of side impacts and roll overs.

Are the photographs posted of a Work in progress or of the car immediately after the accident. A 9L bill is not unbelievable. The complete front suspension (and probably the rear too) would require replacement. The complete body seems warped (see the A pillar). The front end perhaps requires a total re-build. The radiator and other parts too seem damaged. All this in addition to the fenders and doors which are totalled. I imagine that there is some damage inside the cabin too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
I sincerely wish that the young minds who read this thread, learn to exercise restrain. What relieves me more that none outside your speeding car was hurt for no fault of her/his.

Drive safe.

@RX135, your signature is an oxymoron. Just like people asking their service advisor to increase the FE and power of their vehicle at the same time.
I agree with the first part and commend restraint to all and not just the young.

RX135's signature makes perfect sense. Speed is not necessarily unsafe and Slow is not necessarily safe.

Cheers,
Old 16th January 2010, 02:30   #40
Awaiting Email Confirmation

7 rolls?! Seriously?

Firstly, congratulations you're still alive. That's about it.

No damage to rear door and window. No damage to front right fender. No damage whatsoever to bonnet. No damage to roof?!?! (even a single flip would do extensive damage). The only two things that look damaged are driver door and front bumper. This looks more like a case wherein a Civic doing 80+ kmph hit the divider (not head on but at an angle) due to which the bumper came off and driver side door ripped off.
Another catch is, the Civic would need quite some length of road to reach 190kmph!! It is difficult to find such clean stretches to reach those speeds.

BTW the damage shown by the pictures will not take more than a tenth (of what you said) to fix!

I don't want to be a disbeliever but something just doesn't seem right.
Anyways, what we all need to remember from this is, buckle up!
Old 16th January 2010, 02:41   #41
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
The front airbags are deployed only if there is a direct impact from the front. In this case the car hit the divider on its side, the bumper will come off if there is a blow to it from the side at an angle. If the car is equipped with side airbags (in the seats) or side air-curtains, these should have come out. They are designed to protect the occupants in case of side impacts and roll overs.

Are the photographs posted of a Work in progress or of the car immediately after the accident. A 9L bill is not unbelievable. The complete front suspension (and probably the rear too) would require replacement. The complete body seems warped (see the A pillar). The front end perhaps requires a total re-build. The radiator and other parts too seem damaged. All this in addition to the fenders and doors which are totalled. I imagine that there is some damage inside the cabin too.
I am not sure if you have access to more pictures of the car than posted here. From what i see here, the fender seems ok. The bonnet is ok. The roof is ok. The rear door is ok.
Only the driver's door and front bumper seem damaged. The A pillar seems good to me. It is kind of hard for me to believe that these are pictures of a car which did 7 flips! The story might be true but the pictures don't seem to justify.
Think of it like this, Civic isn't the lightest of all cars. So when a car of such weight lands with high velocity (read momentum) on it's roof or side, there should be dents and scratches. None seen. It will be stupid to believe the car landed on it's wheels after every flip!
There is no body damage seen. Blows me out.
Old 16th January 2010, 03:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up , enen though it was a pain ful moment.

Moral : - always use seat belts , accidents may happen any time any where

Thank you for sharing the experience.
Old 16th January 2010, 04:05   #43
BANNED

Hi,

10 lakhs - No insurance company would approve this. this is a total loss

Somersaults - i think you mean a few 180's or 360's. If the civic somersaulted or flipped - i am sorry my friend, you would not be typing this post.

Lastly, never think you are in full control. the engine is bigger than your brain.
Old 16th January 2010, 06:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post

Another problem raised in the workshop...
the guy in the workshop asked me if the seat belts got locked after the accident(which was supposed to be the case) but i did not remember anything of that sort. As far as I remember I do not think the seat belt had been locked. So there is another faulty.
I doubt if the 'guy' has seen an accident or had been in one. The belt locks when there is a sudden pull, but unlocks easily after the car has come to standstill, unless there has been an issue with the seat belt mechanism itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post

The repair cost is around 9 lakh something(close to 10). I dont know any further details. I am sorry.

The car will be ready in a few days and I will post the pictures. Damn excited. (Remember it will be white in colour)
I am tempted to say the same thing I have said on other threads. We in India don't value human life, sometime our own. I can already see the glee in your eyes when talking about the car.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2010, 06:44   #45
Team-BHP Support

I had an accident in my Palio and it flipped 3 times. The roof had caved in and the whole body got damaged. All the windows except the rear one were broken. Rear left or right (cant remember now) wheel was also broken. The damage was much more than what has happened to the civic. And the Palio had rolled on a field, so the damage was less than what would have happened on concrete roads. The civic does not seem to have rolled 7 times. Maybe the threadstarter wanted to mention that is spinned 7 times.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks