Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2024, 19:29   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Here's my last word on the current hazard controversy.

Couldn't park inside the dentist's premises for my appointment today, as there is only provision for two cars. This is in what is the front yard of what was the fairly big family house. Totally off road and pavement, completely inside the gate, one of them... had the hazard lights on

Had to think how much y'all would enjoy that sight!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 09:40   #287
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Exactly, and I really noticed it on a busy stretch of multi-lane road ending in a T. Traffic is crossing both ways to take its chosen road at the end. Nobody knows where where the Hazard Guys are going!
The Pune-Mumbai expressway is full of such drivers. It is a nightmare at the Khopoli turnoff (which is to the right, badly located) with multiple vehicles criss-crossing to get into the correct lane, resulting in a chaotic situation at the best of times.
Old 16th July 2024, 14:49   #288
BHPian

Re: Yet Another Incorrect New Use for Hazard Lights

While I understand the actual use case of hazard lights but I have adapted to the Indian scenario of using them during the winter fog season ( so cars following me have an idea about my vehicle's presence / width )
I also have a habit of switching on the hazard lights if I spot something on the road ahead of me which might not be visible to the vehicles following me. This is to give them a hint to not try to overtake me while I slow down due to the situation ahead of me. And this works, many a times I have noticed that when I switch on the hazard lights the vehicles following me slow down as well and do not attempt to overtake if there's a gap !
akg7091 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 16:06   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
so cars following me have an idea about my vehicle's presence / width
Tail lights already do that job.
Quote:
I also have a habit of switching on the hazard lights if I spot something on the road ahead of me which might not be visible to the vehicles following me. This is to give them a hint to not try to overtake me while I slow down
That's what brake lights are for. And they light up automatically, you don't even have to reach out for a switch in panic situation.

Switching on the lights in low visibility situation is good enough.
black_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 16:36   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Tail lights already do that job.

That's what brake lights are for. And they light up automatically, you don't even have to reach out for a switch in panic situation.

Switching on the lights in low visibility situation is good enough.
For whatever reason I have noticed people don't react to brake lights / tail lights and will overtake rashly if you slow down. Hazard lights work. Human psychology I guess - because they are not something our eyes see every 2 mins maybe the flashing registers something in our mind
akg7091 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 22:35   #291
BHPian

I am and have always been in the “Hazards only when stationary” side of things.

However on the 5th of July whilst on the way to Pune it absolutely bucketed down on the Expressway at around the 1.30pm. Everyone including I slowed down to around 60 kph because the visibility was very poor.

There was no fog but the sheer quantity of rain made it very difficult to spot vehicles ahead and during this time the only vehicles I could spot from a safe distance were those which had their hazard warning lights on. I was driving with my headlights on as were a few other cars, but those cars were visible only from a considerably closer distance than the ones with the hazards on.

I still haven’t changed my mind about hazard usage but it was a very interesting experience.
Potenza is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 23:03   #292
BHPian

People who drive cars, don't use hazard lights when it is really needed. Motorcycles and scooters with given or added feature, using it even when it is not necessary.

Hazard lights are not only meant for highway, it can be used in city as well. If you are riding slow for some purpose, if you have any issues in your motorcycle, if you have stopped road side to alert other road users use it.

Instead, our people are using it as ambulance or police vehicle, and some others as disco lights. Every flashing light is not a celebration or a VIP movement.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th July 2024 at 09:07. Reason: r > are
Old 17th July 2024, 07:57   #293
BHPian

Looks like a really popular post and so much angst around its improper use. To add, many believe hazard light is an indication of, you want to drive straight and not take a turn, just like a wow!
Old 17th July 2024, 09:46   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post
I am and have always been in the “Hazards only when stationary” side of things.

However on the 5th of July whilst on the way to Pune it absolutely bucketed down on the Expressway at around the 1.30pm. Everyone including I slowed down to around 60 kph because the visibility was very poor.

There was no fog but the sheer quantity of rain made it very difficult to spot vehicles ahead and during this time the only vehicles I could spot from a safe distance were those which had their hazard warning lights on. I was driving with my headlights on as were a few other cars, but those cars were visible only from a considerably closer distance than the ones with the hazards on.

I still haven’t changed my mind about hazard usage but it was a very interesting experience.
Don't know what you found interesting there. It is very obvious why hazard lights are used in such treacherous conditions and it is for improving visibility.

Yes, you should not be weaving in and out of traffic and overtaking and switching lanes at the same time!. Then it is no more treacherous conditions and no more 'hazard light' conditions.
Old 17th July 2024, 10:57   #295
BHPian

Quote:
For whatever reason I have noticed people don't react to brake lights / tail lights and will overtake rashly if you slow down. Hazard lights work. Human psychology I guess - because they are not something our eyes see every 2 mins maybe the flashing registers something in our mind
Bad drivers in general, Indian bad drivers in particular, have fancied/imagined different usage case for everything on road. Over usage of hazard lights will result in normalizing behavior over time and the same bad driver will any way do what s/he fancies.
Old 18th July 2024, 18:52   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I understand the actual use case of hazard lights, I have adapted to the Indian scenario of using them during the winter fog season.
I also have a habit of switching on the hazard lights if I spot something on the road ahead of me which might not be visible to the vehicles following me.
Those driving in fog should instead use fog lamps to increase visibility.
There are lot of things ahead of us which the driver(s) behind might miss either due to not looking out or due to blind spots. Eg. a jaywalker/cow suddenly darting across the road. Instead of looking for hazard lights to warn others, the thing to do is take evasive action (slow down / dab the brakes / brake hard / steer away) whichever is appropriate.

Quote:
I have noticed that when I switch on the hazard lights the vehicles following me slow down as well and do not attempt to overtake if there's a gap !
Vehicles driving in front with hazard lights on (due to rain / fog / cattle / rushing to airport as they left late from home / any other trivial reason), cause 2 problems to those following :
1) Irritation / fatigue due to the 4 continuously blinking yellow lamps.
2) If the guy in front were to take a right/left turn after switching on the turn-indicator (forgetting that his hazard lights are on), it will catch the cars behind by surprise, causing accidents.

I read earlier on in this thread about how turn-indicators in a certain car took precedence over hazard lights, which seems odd to me because hazard should take priority. That’s how it’s wired in the cars I have used.

But the good part of indicators taking priority over hazard is that accidents due to wrong usage of hazards mentioned in (2) can be averted.
Old 20th July 2024, 13:16   #297
Senior - BHPian

So it’s not just Indians who use hazard lights for reasons it’s not intended to. The Brits apparently use it if they see traffic buildup ahead or worse as a thankYou. ��
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 13:47   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
So it’s not just Indians who use hazard lights for reasons it’s not intended to. The Brits apparently use it if they see traffic buildup ahead or worse as a thankYou. ��
https://m.Youtube.com/watch?v=dw-j5U_0XGk
That was just , including the intermittent wiper part.

I first saw hazards being used to warn of a traffic build-up ahead by my uncle who had just got his license from Dubai. It seemed odd considering that even turn indicators were not properly used in Riyadh in those days. Thought was some fancy stuff done in Dubai.

The thank you hazard? Find it cute and am guilty of using it as a thank you sign.

But both are harmless when used judiciously, can't say the same for stuff like using hazards as disco lights in rain or using it at roundabouts to go straight.
Old 21st July 2024, 00:11   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
So it’s not just Indians who use hazard lights for reasons it’s not intended to. The Brits apparently use it if they see traffic buildup ahead or worse as a thankYou.
Yes, we do. Particularly on motorways where the traffic is high speed. That is a hazard. Britain also has a long history of pile-ups.

Are there people who do it in cities to warn that traffic ahead has dropped from 8mph to 4mph? Quite likely. Would that be stupid? Absolutely.

My most hated British hazard-light-warning... "I know I'm not supposed to be parked here but I've just nipped into the shop and won't be long."

Does every country in the world have driving habits varying from bad to dangerous? Of course!

(I haven't watched the video yet)
Old 21st July 2024, 23:50   #300
Senior - BHPian

The Indian MoRTH’s Motor Vehicles (Driving) Regulations 2017, allows the use of hazard lights ONLY under these conditions :
- vehicle breakdown
- accident
- towing
All of the above apply only when your vehicle is a hazard or a possible hazard. Any other usage is selective interpretation.

Quote:
Yes, we do. Particularly on motorways where the traffic is high speed. That is a hazard. Britain also has a long history of pile-ups.
Lot of pile-ups happen in north India due to low visibility in foggy conditions. Would it help if everyone switched on hazards or rather they drove slowly/cautiously given the weather and used fog-lamps ?

Does the UK driving code suggest hazard lights to be used in this condition ? Then, yes, it’s legal (for the UK). Else, it is just selective interpretation.

Quote:
My most hated British hazard-light-warning... "I know I'm not supposed to be parked here but I've just nipped into the shop and won't be long."
If they are parked where they shouldn’t be, then they could rightly be interpreted as a hazard, not only via selective interpretation, but because that part of the road was deemed no-parking for a specific reason, not arbitrarily.

Quote:
Are there people who do it in cities to warn that traffic ahead has dropped from 8mph to 4mph? Quite likely. Would that be stupid? Absolutely.
The thing about selective interpretation is that when we do it, we are right. But when someone interprets differently, it is stupid.

If I switch on hazards in foggy condition or when it drizzles/rains or when I think there is traffic buildup ahead, I am right.

But when someone else uses hazards to go straight or thank someone who gave way, he is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The thank you hazard? Find it cute and am guilty of using it as a thank you sign.
Why not just raise your hand in a thank-you gesture like most folks do ? Simpler & quicker than looking for the hazard light switch, turning it on & then switching it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
It seemed odd considering that even turn indicators were not properly used in Riyadh in those days.
Interesting you mention this. While I have intermittently driven in Kerala since ‘86, it is only since 2016 that I have been continuously driving here, and one thing I noticed is :
- 95% of riders/drivers in Kerala don’t indicate their indication to turn. Those in leftmost lane turning left can be excused, but even those taking an intrusive right turn don’t. And this applies across all strata - from autos to Altos to buses to Porsches.
- But the same riders/drivers are quick to use the headlight-flash (even when they don’t have right of way) or hazards when it rains.

Logically, turning on the indicator takes way less effort than flashing headlights or switching on hazard lights. But they won’t. Beats me.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 22nd July 2024 at 00:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks