Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2005, 10:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Swift - Rhs Mirror Gone

This morning I was slowly pushing the vehicle (40 KMPH) towards my office with my wife as co passenger. I took a left turn to take on another empty stretch & kept my vehicle on the extreme left with sufficient passage for the pedestrians and motorists.

A bus was coming in the opposite direction a little faster than normal speed in that road. When the bus was about to cross me, a van which was closely following that bus moved towards right to check the possibilities of overtaking the bus.

In no time, the van hit my right hand side mirror. The mirror and other plastics went flying into pieces. I was shocked to see that van was very very close to my car at that speed. I was relaxed after the van crossed me. The van driver never stopped his vehicle and passed away from the sight.

Parked the vehicle, collected the plastic pieces (though it is not useful) & drove to the office.

I was happy that guy has not hit the front portion of the car, in which case, its painful in terms of both damage caused and time that needs to be spent
Old 8th August 2005, 10:41   #2
BHPian

Even though the rear view mirrors of some cars are longer but my personal experience says that they provide first line of defense from other rash vehicles. In a bid to keep away from the mirror, a whole lot of people stay at a distance from the car.

Some rash 800's have still come really close to my Indica and eventually our rear view mirrors collided while moving in opposite directions. The Indica managed with a minor scratch but the 800 lost its mirror assembly. I was the one who stopped but the other vehicle owner probably did not bother. Also lot of guys on two wheels moving like serpents in traffic try to keep away from the longish mirror hence keeping away from the car.

"Blessing in disguise"
Old 8th August 2005, 14:39   #3
BHPian

good advice but am worried that some moron would bang into those side mirrors.
Old 8th August 2005, 16:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

Well - better the mirror than the bodywork
Old 9th August 2005, 11:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

I found it difficult while driving, without having the right hand side mirror, which was broken yesterday morning. I decided to replace immediately & checked with the dealer.

I was told that they do not have any stock & will let me know once the stock arrives. Checked with other vendors who deals with maruti products and got the same reply. Only one of the vendor was able to tell me that it will approximately costs Rs.2500/-. Is it true? Any one got idea what the exact price was?

One of my friend who owns an ALTO was telling me it costs less than Rs.500/- for adding up LHS mirror. Huge difference.
Old 9th August 2005, 11:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

hey doesnt the swift come with those unbreakable type side mirrors ?
the ones which bend backwards or closes immediately (incase of frontal side impact)at times like these ?

2500 is huge man ! considering Side view mirrors are very vulnerable to damage...
the mirror glass in my corsa was replaced for 300 2 years back ..but despite the frontal impact only the glass broke by the mirror plastic and all was intact ..

alto the whole thing needs to be replaced ..plastic is rather brittle ..

Last edited by turbo_lover : 9th August 2005 at 11:47.
Old 9th August 2005, 11:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Only one of the vendor was able to tell me that it will approximately costs Rs.2500/-. Is it true?

One of my friend who owns an ALTO was telling me it costs less than Rs.500/- for adding up LHS mirror. Huge difference.
Well, I don't know the price for the Swift's ORVM, but for an Indica, it will come around Rs.1300.

Indica non-OE (read "duplicate") mirror can be bought for Rs.600-700. No harm trying because it is not a mechanical part (only a mirror...) though I went for the OE version, because I bought the very next day after the salary day! The non-OE mirrors are usually without the on-mirror lettering ("The objects appear in the mirror..."). The internal adjustment mechanism is also a bit smoother in the OE version. Apart from that there's no difference at all.

Regarding the Alto. I am not sure whether it has internally adjustable OVRMs. If its not internally adjustable, that could be the reason for the difference, if it has internal adjustment, well, you can say that the Swift is still enjoying its honeymoon...

Never drive without your RH wing mirror, since you are used to rely on it heavily. I also faced the same dilemma.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 9th August 2005 at 12:08.
Old 9th August 2005, 11:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
the ones which bend backwards or closes immediately (incase of frontal side impact)at times like these ?
It is not smooth enough for free movement.

The other problem is the way in which they have molded the two parts of the plastic into single piece. It doesn't stick well at all.

In my case, the plastic that covers the back portion of the mirror went into two pieces & the mirror has developed "n" number of cracks, but not broken into pieces.

The remaining system works fine, if adjusted from inside. But Iam sure they will insists on replacing the entire mirror. But if they charge Rs.2500/- for it, I cannot do anything and need to get it replaced
Old 9th August 2005, 12:17   #9
BHPian

Go for OEM

@Surprise

Go for the OEM, mate. The mirror maketh the difference - Duplicate mirrors have hardly much of a convex surface and are more like plain mirrors - defeats the whole purpose, pal. Dunno bout the Swift but for the Santro, a new RHS (for the old model, elephant ears type) costs about 750/-.

Cheers
Old 9th August 2005, 12:45   #10
Team-BHP Support

as the swift becomes dated the price will fall. but this is price you pay for getting a car that is new. i know i had the same experince 9 years ago with my Opel Astra. Must have been the same van :-)
Old 9th August 2005, 14:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just got a call from my dealer to confirm that they have spares in their Ambattur spares shop. The total cost for replacing the entire unit will be Rs.1380/-

He added that after sometime (once lot of Swifts on road), the mirror will be available for sale, in which case there is no need for replacing the entire unit until the damage is caused to it. The same thing seems to be happened for Esteem.

Is it not all the glass sizes are similar or it depends on models/makes
Old 9th August 2005, 16:12   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas
Well, I don't know the price for the Swift's ORVM, but for an Indica, it will come around Rs.1300.
The Indica's LHS ORVM cost me Rs. 1110 in March 2003. The OE mirror glass alone costs Rs. 369.

The assembly is quite strong and flexible as well. It folds in quite readily on frontal impact and folds out on impact from the rear. The glass will however break more easily on heavy impacts.
Old 9th August 2005, 17:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Just got a call from my dealer to confirm that they have spares in their Ambattur spares shop. The total cost for replacing the entire unit will be Rs.1380/- Is it not all the glass sizes are similar or it depends on models/makes
Good for you, Surprise and thanks for the info to us Swift owners.

Mirror Sizes - They vary by virtue of the shell of the OVRM. or is it some other answer that you were seeking

Cheers
Old 9th August 2005, 19:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsailor
Mirror Sizes - They vary by virtue of the shell of the OVRM. or is it some other answer that you were seeking

Cheers
You have answered my query. Just thought if the mirror is of common size why not pick one and fit it in the shell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks