Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 12:22   #826
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Any idea why there was a Huge Traffic jam in OMR Today? I stay in Perungudi and commute to Sholinganallur. What normally takes 35 mins (for 9km) during peak hours took me 80 mins today.
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:37   #827
BHPian

Yesterday morning exactly at 9.40 on the Adyar bridge a white Amby with Govt boards backed up into a white Figo driven by a lady.The sound has gut-wrenching and for once I wanted to bash up the driver of the Amby for the sheer nonchalance he projected thru the entire episode. His body language was like" I am govt, who are you ? ".... the lady was foaming at her mouth shouting at the driver.
Really sad to see a new car damaged on a sunny monday morning.
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:24   #828
BHPian

@ Iluvcars

Thanks dude, Came home showed this Video to my Wife. Next call went to my Dad and the topic of discussion over the weekend was my temper.

Last edited by haithereitsme : 23rd August 2011 at 18:26.
Old 24th August 2011, 13:37   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
An interesting tidbit - if you are coming from kotturpuram and want to go to mount road via cenotaph road, it is better to avoid the flyover. It gets really crowded in the evenings & stop-and-go traffic is better done on a level surface than on an incline. I find that not taking the flyover is better in terms of time & lesser aggravation.
In the evenings before 730, i usually take the by-lane, take the first right and join Chamiers Road, join Mount Road, take a U-turn and left at Nandanam signal for T.Nagar. Takes much less time getting through Cenotaph Road traffic. Morover Cenotaph Road-Mount Road signal is a mad house.
Old 25th August 2011, 08:20   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
Dude this is the link on Youtube.

siddhartht14's Channel - YouTube
this link should be shared across all sites. With your permission that is??
Old 25th August 2011, 15:11   #831
Distinguished - BHPian

I was at a concert in BVB, Mylapore yesterday evening. Towards the end of the program, a three-hour (rather than the usual 2.5 hours) the thunder started and there was one huge noise. As we drove around the corner into South Mada Street, we found the road blocked by a fallen tree. It must have been a lightening strike. I really hope there wasn't anyone under the tree at the time, although it seems unlikely that there would not have been.

As far as we are concerned, we could have been there: conclusive proof that longer concerts save lives!
Old 25th August 2011, 16:03   #832
Senior - BHPian

It was pouring cats and dogs yesterday evening in chennai. It is definitely one of the heaviest I have driven through, it was just sheets of water pouring down coupled with lightning and thunder made my drive back home from sholinganallur around 9.30 PM absolutely nightmarish. Visibility was very poor, and lesser said about the road condition of medavakkam-pallikaranai-velachery road, better it is.

I could see so many cars broken down enroute wading through knee deep water, couple of accidents, motorbikes parked haphazardly and in general chaos everywhere. One heavy spell and the city's civic infrastructure is badly exposed - Rain gods need to spare us, chennai just cannot take anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I was at a concert in BVB, Mylapore
yesterday evening. Towards the end of the program, a three-hour (rather than the usual 2.5 hours) the thunder started and there was one huge noise. As we drove around the corner into South Mada Street, we found the road blocked by a fallen tree. It must have been a lightening strike. I really hope there wasn't anyone under the tree at the time, although it seems unlikely that there would not have been.

As far as we are concerned, we could have been there: conclusive proof that longer concerts save lives!
Old 25th August 2011, 16:37   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
One heavy spell and the city's civic infrastructure is badly exposed - Rain gods need to spare us, chennai just cannot take anymore!
Actually, The usual central chennai was pretty good with not much water stagnation etc.

The newly developed areas where civic sense is poor is where all the chaos is - Storm water drains are filled with plastic packets and water water everywhere..

I enjoyed the rains
Old 25th August 2011, 16:58   #834
Senior - BHPian

I used to do the Adyar to Pallavaram run in peak traffic around 7pm and going there I used to go in circles trying to find parking and I used to park it next to buffalo's and when I came home and parked the car it used to give out all sorts of smell and not to mention the 'patspin' element. That was an Accent GLS golden beige I had for 6 years and once I bought the Elantra GLS, I gave up my Pallavaram 'branch' altogether. I agree its never pleasant wading through traffic day in and day out.
Old 25th August 2011, 17:25   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Actually, The usual central chennai was pretty good with not much water stagnation etc.

The newly developed areas where civic sense is poor is where all the chaos is - Storm water drains are filled with plastic packets and water water everywhere..

I enjoyed the rains
Very rightly said, eventhough there wasn't any water stagnation, driving through nungambakkam at around 10 PM yesterday was tiring with so much traffic.

========

I have few of my office colleagues bitching about chennai after seeing the crumbling infrastructure in the suburbs. Leave alone roads, problems of bad water and low voltage are plenty along the suburbs. I had to move out of Annanagar ever since I changed my company, I am getting a taste of lack of infrastructure of areas beyond velachery. It is a royal mess, remind me how Bangalore is all around.

LMAO when I hear people saying that velachery, pallikaranai is a posh area.
Old 25th August 2011, 17:27   #836
Senior - BHPian

Dude, chennai just started getting rains. GODS, please dont stop please. We need rains. I escaped at 5PM just before the rain started. Helps when you can work from home. White light or normal light, nothing works when it rains.

Wondering if yellow lights would help?
Old 25th August 2011, 18:41   #837
Senior - BHPian

I agree with both of you. After being used to central chennai for more than 30 years, I moved to Velachery very recently and I find this part of chennai to be in total mess. Power cuts are almost a norm, everytime there is even a small drizzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post

I had to move out of Annanagar ever since I changed my company, I am getting a taste of lack of infrastructure of areas beyond velachery. It is a royal mess, remind me how Bangalore is all around.
Nothing helps, yellow/white or any other colour for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Wondering if yellow lights would help?
Old 25th August 2011, 19:02   #838
Senior - BHPian

I have been living last 20 years in perungalathur, once upon a time outskirts of chennai. Now we create the biggest bottleneck for all the people. We just grew at a rapid pace i guess.

Yet i cannot imagine a day why i want to live in mandaveli or mylapore.
Old 25th August 2011, 20:13   #839
Senior - BHPian

Never ever do it VW2010, its the mistake that I commited and I repent every moment for it. Having spent 20 years in pergungalathur - every street, by-lane, family would be so very familiar to you - you will feel like an extended family when you reach home and speak with your neighbours. I can relate to that feeling, the sense of comfort, convenience and safety that you get everytime you arrive at home, talk to friends/neighbours, play around with kids in your neighbourhood, it cannot be compared or compensated by anything else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I have been living last 20 years in perungalathur, once upon a time outskirts of chennai. Now we create the biggest bottleneck for all the people. We just grew at a rapid pace i guess.

Yet i cannot imagine a day why i want to live in mandaveli or mylapore.
Old 26th August 2011, 08:06   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
this link should be shared across all sites. With your permission that is??

Arvind, would be glad !

We have done our bit in telling the cops to follow rules yet they dont. We should click pics of cops not following rules and start posting them.

Am thinking embarrassing pics will atleast change their attitude.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks