Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2024, 12:30   #21931

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That is normal. These are not new roads, and over the decades, layers have been added over the base
Yes, i know that it is normal in most places. But it leads to side effects. Roads and footpaths keep getting higher compared to the surrounding properties. Manholes keep getting built a bit higher than the road to accommodate probable new road layering and to ensure that they don't go down under the road
Old 19th August 2024, 09:44   #21932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Looks like public taking law into their own hands, throwing Wheelie scooters from the top of flyover.
Looking at how brazen the attitude of these wheelie morons is, and the complete lack of empathy from the authorities, mob justice might just instill some fear into them. Might sound sadistic, but these instances do bring a hint of peace to the mind.
Although, the downside being that this gives a message of a free license for mob justice for just about anything and opportunities to create sympathies for these 2W idiots by some faction in the political class.
ShreyG is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 09:52   #21933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG View Post
mob justice might just instill some fear into them. Might sound sadistic, but these instances do bring a hint of peace to the mind.
If you remember 15-20 years back in Bangalore, people used to fear to drive/ride in wrong way, not of fear of BTP, but for fear of public hitting them. Gradually mob anger went down, and now 1000s go in wrong way and has become no 1 menace in Bangalore traffic.
Old 19th August 2024, 10:21   #21934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
If you remember 15-20 years back in Bangalore, people used to fear to drive/ride in wrong way, not of fear of BTP, but for fear of public hitting them. Gradually mob anger went down, and now 1000s go in wrong way and has become no 1 menace in Bangalore traffic.
True point. This can again be attributed to the callousness of the authorities and earnings taking precedence over safety and general common sense. Just a few days ago, there was an incident where a 2 wheeler was acting rowdy with a car driver and the cop on duty gave clear blame to the car driver, obviously expecting a heavy pay day. Given that the car user had a dashcam, the cop had to retreat quickly and get himself uninvolved in the situation. From what I read, the car user followed up and was being harassed to visit the station multiple times to re-iterate on a complaint he had already submitted.
In essence, if you as much as overtake these 2W morons, they are ready for a fight and cops only care about how to make most of the opportunity. Makes me think of my days driving in the north and to start keeping an iron rod / hockey stick / baseball bat in the car as a deterrent (and never use it obviously).
Further, this idiocy of local vs outsider further adds fuel to the fire. I am not a native and a 1st generation migrant, but am as much as a local in Bangalore as anyone else, if not more. This city has provided me jobs, a house, my wife, kid and a thousand lifelong memories. And yes, to avoid any controversy, I can speak just about enough Kannada to soothe the minds of the autowallahs, BMTC conductors and the BTP, although that has not made them any more sympathetic than they already are .
Apologies for the OT.
ShreyG is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 11:29   #21935
BHPian

Cantonment->TV Tower stretch is a death trap to two wheelers, the chambers covers of the recently laid underground cables are atleast 6 inches lower than the road surface, creating potholes by design.
Had a bone jarring landing into one at ~30kmph (riding a scooter), managed to hold the balance since I spotted it. Didn't risk a swerving move since a BMTC bus was right behind me.
This is a recipe for accidents when it rains.
Old 19th August 2024, 11:46   #21936
Senior - BHPian

Along with horrible roads, the other major issue the causes traffic pile up is people not following lane discipline.

The stretch from Kundalahalli underpass towards Marathalli bridge is notorious for this. Not only have they put up a signal on top of the bridge/underpass, the traffic that needs to go left towards ORR blocks all 3-5 lanes. Yes 5 lanes created on a 3 lane road by impatient drivers. This blocks the traffic that needs to go straight towards HAL. There are no less than 3-5 cops at the signal and usually not bothered either about this, or pedestrians crossing the road when the signal is green for vehicles, further blocking the traffic.

That's my rant for the day -
Old 19th August 2024, 19:49   #21937
BHPian

The new VAC signal near Adhiswar/Dakshin Thindi in Jayanagar near the RV road metro station. Never seen this so crowded with so much traffic in the other lane. I am unable to understand how the VAC works when it continues to remain in red for a long time inspite of traffic this long and in another 2 minutes, it was there up until the new Dakshin Thindi.

arnav17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 20:15   #21938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
The new VAC signal near Adhiswar/Dakshin Thindi in Jayanagar near the RV road metro station. Never seen this so crowded with so much traffic in the other lane. I am unable to understand how the VAC works when it continues to remain in red for a long time inspite of traffic this long and in another 2 minutes, it was there up until the new Dakshin Thindi.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=sTHOwJ9Bn7M
Since I have lived in this area from the past 30-odd years, traffic congestion has never been an issue despite the huge increase in vehicles plying on the road.

Until, that is, these new VAC signals were installed at the junctions of 32nd Cross, 36th Cross, and 40th Cross with RV Road/Laxman Rau Avenue.

These junctions were unregulated, and caused some minor jams during peak hours only. Posting a traffic constable there to regulate traffic during peak time sorted the issue out. That is because the cop would use his/her judgement to decide when to let traffic from a road to cross the junction.
There is a very large variance in the proportion of traffic wanting to turn right. So if the cop saw that just a few vehicles wanted to turn right, he/she would allow vehicles from opposite sides to go through simultaneously. This kept the flow going.

The signals installed do not have this capability to judge, and hence the huge pile ups.

And don't even get me started on traffic on 3rd Main/5th Main (parallel to RV Road/Laxman Rau Avenue) adding to the mess

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 19th August 2024 at 20:18.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 22:06   #21939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=sTHOwJ9Bn7M
Same here. These signals have become a menace. Not even sure how they work. I have seen some cameras placed, so probably they detect vehicles on each side. But today due to the VAC working, RV road was free flowing while the cross roads on either side was grid locked. Had to go across Jayanagar to find a safe place to cross over to Banashankari
Old 20th August 2024, 07:35   #21940
Distinguished - BHPian

Catastrophe at Hebbal yesterday and that too earlier than usual. Managed to avoid due to sheer luck.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le68543746.ece

https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...064857969.html
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_4848.jpeg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 20th August 2024 at 07:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks