Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2017, 12:00   #14086
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Other day saw a tweet to traffic department requesting to reduce single occupancy vehicle or SOV at least during peak office time.
I don't think the laws as of today would allow any such ban. Practically also it may not work out. Today, I had to drop my wife at her work place and the kid at a relative's home. We started off as three passengers, but after Sarjapur Road the vehicle was "single occupancy". What should I have done at that point then? .
Old 29th May 2017, 12:41   #14087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I don't think the laws as of today would allow any such ban. Practically also it may not work out. Today, I had to drop my wife at her work place and the kid at a relative's home. We started off as three passengers, but after Sarjapur Road the vehicle was "single occupancy". What should I have done at that point then? .
Hi,
Thing is everyone has issue with traffic in the city but a common solution acceptable to all is difficult. True of Laws as of now but you know the Odd Even trip in NCR.

Thanks.
Old 29th May 2017, 16:51   #14088
Senior - BHPian

Read the news today morning about Varthur lake (Source : TOI) foaming up again and spreading the chemical foam across hapless people there. How is the condition that side?

Also in the same article its mentioned that people residing near Subramanyapura lake on the other end of bangalore are also facing similar fate.
Old 29th May 2017, 17:12   #14089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Read the news today morning about Varthur lake (Source : TOI) foaming up again and spreading the chemical foam across hapless people there. How is the condition that side?

Also in the same article its mentioned that people residing near Subramanyapura lake on the other end of bangalore are also facing similar fate.
I live in an apartment complex very close to that lake and yes, there was foaming and there were news channels covering it in their shows. There is news that NGT team will visit and propose actions similar to Belandur lakes. They are expected to order closure of a few small industries and come down heavily on some apartments whose STPs are reasons behind the pollution. Luckily outlet from our apartment's STP is not going into this lake.

Also another major reason is the encroachment of the lake. There are many people living in the many illegal small houses inside the lake fence. There are government housing complexes being constructed outside the area and these people are supposed to vacate and move there. But as far as I've seen, the government housing complex is getting filled as and when it is completed, but the encroached houses are not getting empty. I highly suspect new people replacing older people in the settlement. Anyway, we have to see what will be the future of this dying lake.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 29th May 2017 at 17:15.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 17:23   #14090
Senior - BHPian

I was driving down from Whitefield last evening and got to witness the dreaded Varthur lake foam first hand. It is a seriously bad situation. I'm perplexed that the government is going slow and not doing much on this.

The foam build-up was as high as 8 to 10 feet. Heavy gusts of wind ensured that all the foam came flying onto the Whitefield road. Traffic moved at snail's pace. I pity the two wheeler riders who had to bear the brunt of the foam, since they were directly exposed unlike the people in cars.
Old 29th May 2017, 17:26   #14091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I live in an apartment complex very close to that lake and yes, there was foaming and there were news channels covering it in their shows. There is news that NGT team will visit and propose actions similar to Belandur lakes. They are expected to order closure of a few small industries and come down heavily on some apartments whose STPs are reasons behind the pollution. Luckily outlet from our apartment's STP is not going into this lake.
I heard the same too regarding closure of the industries but wondering if its going to be really implemented. Also why target only smalll industries. I guess many of the big industries, probably hospitals and even housing complexes might have done the same. Lete see if they atleast start doing it. Few days back I heard the government were planning to inform NGT that they cannot rectify the lake in the next 5 years and would need more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Also another major reason is the encroachment of the lake. There are many people living in the many illegal small houses inside the lake fence. There are government housing complexes being constructed outside the area and these people are supposed to vacate and move there. But as far as I've seen, the government housing complex is getting filled as and when it is completed, but the encroached houses are not getting empty. I highly suspect new people replacing older people in the settlement. Anyway, we have to see what will be the future of this dying lake.
This is like catch 22 for the government. One side they cannot completely remove the people as they are vote bank but on the other hand they cannot sit idle as well. Its a fine line for the government to tread as displacing the people without proper support to them will be bad keeping in mind the upcoming elections.
Old 29th May 2017, 19:42   #14092
Distinguished - BHPian

While coming back home, I reached the NICE toll near EC on time. After passing the initial mess, all vehicles finally fell into the lanes. All was well until suddenly my lane felt stagnant compared to others. I was jokingly telling my colleague that everytime, the lane in which we wait is the slowest. We were also talking that it may be just a feeling and not really the truth. But after sometime it really felt slow. My colleague put his head out of the window and told me that this time it was not a feeling but truth. He saw a chevy sail perpendicular to the lane. He took out his phone and took these pictures.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20170529wa002101.jpeg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20170529wa002001.jpeg

This idiot driver was in such a hurry that he felt it better to change the lanes by driving over the median than waiting for his turn to cross the toll booth.
Deservedly he was stuck. After some time, as you can see in the 2nd picture, 5 people came and lifted the vehicle and finally he could move out. By the time I crossed the toll gate, he has stopped by the side and inspecting the damage.
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 10:48   #14093
Senior - BHPian

Slightly lesser traffic on the roads today. I understand that there is a strike/harthal today, but don't know which class of vehicles are keeping off the road. BMTC and Ka.SRTC was plying. Hotels & Medical shops seems to be shut. The strike is against GST roll out.
Old 30th May 2017, 11:05   #14094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Slightly lesser traffic on the roads today. I understand that there is a strike/harthal today, but don't know which class of vehicles are keeping off the road. BMTC and Ka.SRTC was plying. Hotels & Medical shops seems to be shut. The strike is against GST roll out.
For me there was traffic from Jakkasandra until Sarjapur signal. There was a broken down mini bus on this stretch which was one of the cause for the jam. I am not sure what was the issue on the bellandur side.
Old 30th May 2017, 12:24   #14095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
For me there was traffic from Jakkasandra until Sarjapur signal. There was a broken down mini bus on this stretch which was one of the cause for the jam. I am not sure what was the issue on the bellandur side.
Okay in that area; there was a BMTC bus break down (near Hosa road) on the elevated highway. Then there were two chain accidents near Iblur which messed up things at the EcoSpace, ORR area. The BBMP also had some major electrical work getting done in that area.
Old 31st May 2017, 17:16   #14096
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys any unusual traffic due to PARVATHAMMA RAJKUMAR passing away? One of my colleagues mentioned heavy traffic near Malleswaram/Sadashivnagar in the afternoon.

I believe the funeral is at 1830 at Rajkumar Samadhi/Shree Kanteerava Studios at Yeshwanthpur so anyone with a train to catch from YPR had better keep plenty of time in hand!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 22:21   #14097
Senior - BHPian

Is there any protest march or VIP visit tomorrow (1st June)?? I remember Vatal Nagaraj calling for a bandh /hartal, but don't remember the day and if there is a plan to bring his supporters from neighboring districts.
Old 31st May 2017, 22:31   #14098
Team-BHP Support

Overturned Tempo Traveler on the ISRO-HAL Road stretch (passing through Doddanekundi). Seems to have hit/climbed the divider and fallen on its side. Choked roads, the usual idiots going camera crazy, blocking traffic and medical support.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st May 2017 at 22:34.
Old 1st June 2017, 08:37   #14099
BHPian

Today is school reopening day for most of the schools. Expect traffic jams
Old 1st June 2017, 08:41   #14100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any protest march or VIP visit tomorrow (1st June)?? I remember Vatal Nagaraj calling for a bandh /hartal, but don't remember the day and if there is a plan to bring his supporters from neighboring districts.
Situation at 0840hrs today. Varthur Road is blocked. Work from home??
Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks