Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2017, 18:49   #13561
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
And is it safe to take the car as well? Last time I had to walk a good 30 mins to reach the gates after collecting the tickets.
No issues in taking car. I was also bit skeptical last year. But the parking and shuttle from parking to Rs 1500 ticket gate was managed well by Air Force personal.

The parking area is inside Air Force campus, only issue is due to the large open area with lots of vehicles moving around car will be covered in dust.

But then, once you are out of parking area there is no need to worry about dust. I have dust allergy and haven't faced any issues.

Do not get worried about the same. Just make sure you start early to reach there before crowd and start back after second show starts, so that outside roads are not crowded. Same holds true for BMTC buses too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Do they allow kids in the 1500 rupee area ? Else can only go to the general area. .
Yes they do. Have seen lots of kids, especially from HAL family group in the business area. No issues.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 20:46   #13562
Distinguished - BHPian

God help us all while our "Minister for Bengaluru" plans steel flyovers!

3.4 lakh new bikes on road in past 9 months
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/57134852.cms

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th February 2017 at 20:57. Reason: Clarity
Old 14th February 2017, 22:56   #13563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
God help us all while our "Minister for Bengaluru" plans steel flyovers!

3.4 lakh new bikes on road in past 9 months
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/57134852.cms
Those numbers are staggering. If you consider public transport, BMTC carries 50 lakh passengers per day which is almost half the number of people living in Bengaluru. Metro in the current form will need multiple years to carry the same number.

I think its decentralization thats needed. City needs to grow horizontally.
Old 15th February 2017, 09:05   #13564
Senior - BHPian

Today morning's traffic was a little sparse by regular standards. I guess OLA and Uber's strike is to blame. Just thinking, in 2-3 years, we have grown to depend so much on Ola and Uber, wonder how life was before they came on the scene. We had the old (sometimes unreliable) Merus or had to bargain with the auto rickshaws. Now they seem to have become the lifeline of the urban commuter who prefers to not use their own vehicles.
Old 15th February 2017, 09:10   #13565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Today morning's traffic was a little sparse by regular standards. I guess OLA and Uber's strike is to blame. Just thinking, in 2-3 years, we have grown to depend so much on Ola and Uber, wonder how life was before they came on the scene. We had the old (sometimes unreliable) Merus or had to bargain with the auto rickshaws. Now they seem to have become the lifeline of the urban commuter who prefers to not use their own vehicles.
So this was the reason I was finding lesser traffic on the road. However I guess its OLAs on strike. Uber still has cabs all around my office. OLA is showing hardly one or two cabs around. So I guess evening should be good too!
Old 15th February 2017, 09:27   #13566
Distinguished - BHPian

Super peaceful drive into CBD today. Roads relatively clearer, very heavy police presence for Aero India and 'Make in KA' events. Traffic was much more disciplined today without the swerving cabbies.

Enjoy while it lasts!
Old 15th February 2017, 10:12   #13567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Roads relatively clearer, very heavy police presence for Aero India and 'Make in KA' events.
There is another prominent event planned for today it seems - the surrender of Sasikala.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 10:21   #13568
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

With the taxi revolution of recent times, we now have an unprecedented number of taxis in Bangalore and the government is considering a cap on their number.

Too many taxis in city, govt. may put a cap on their number - Link, Continuation of the article - Link
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 10:59   #13569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Roads relatively clearer, very heavy police presence for Aero India and 'Make in KA' events.
There was some VIP movement planned via K.R Puram towards Hoskote, I feel. Heightened police presence. First, I thought the VIP was Sasikala but that may not be true .

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
There is another prominent event planned for today it seems - the surrender of Sasikala.
The police would then have too many things on their plate. As I said some event seems to happen in Bangalore rural district, and plus lot of police men have also got involved in the Aero India show.

But read that the city police have stationed more DAR and CAR police personnel near the central prison. To be frank, I don't expect to see much dramas like what happened when Jayalalithaa was taken into the prison. TN police itself may stop lot of potential rioters at their side of the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
With the taxi revolution of recent times, we now have an unprecedented number of taxis in Bangalore and the government is considering a cap on their number.
This is really required. Even in small towns in Kerala, I have seen that the Municipal council etc. decides on the number of "auto rickshaw permits" to be given out. No new permits are given if this number is crossed. Which also makes these "auto rickshaw permits" a very costly commodity. In a mid sized town the asking price for such a "town permit" was Rs. 2 lakh!!
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 11:07   #13570
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
There was some VIP movement planned via K.R Puram towards Hoskote, I feel. Heightened police presence. First, I thought the VIP was Sasikala but that may not be true
It could be the foundation stone laying ceremony for the new BMTC Bus station at Hoskote, remember reading about it in the newspaper.

Confirmed, it is the same scheduled for 11:30am today - Link

Last edited by NPV : 15th February 2017 at 11:10.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 11:10   #13571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Quote:
This is really required. Even in small towns in Kerala, I have seen that the Municipal council etc. decides on the number of "auto rickshaw permits" to be given out.
This artificial cap on supply was the reason services like Uber flourished. These caps led to widespread corruption, and Uber's battle against this practice is well-documented.

Life would be a lot simpler if politicians and bureaucrats understood that they can't legislate away natural principles.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 11:54   #13572
Senior - BHPian

Sasikala leaves for Bengaluru after SC rejects her plea asking for more time
---
Don't know if she is coming by road or by any special air craft. Folks on the Airport road, ORR, Koramangala, Hosur road may need to keep an eye on BTP updates.
Old 15th February 2017, 12:40   #13573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sasikala leaves for Bengaluru after SC rejects her plea asking for more time
---
Don't know if she is coming by road or by any special air craft. Folks on the Airport road, ORR, Koramangala, Hosur road may need to keep an eye on BTP updates.
Even Jayalalitha came in her Prado. She would be using the same I guess. Shouldn't be disruptive since the jail is on Hosur Road. I would wish it gets over by evening rush hour.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 12:52   #13574
BHPian

Another big event planned for today is the official opening of the DG bunk flyover by our CM.
There was heavy police presence all around the area and in roads leading up to it today.

The joy of crossing this junction in seconds will be shortlived, especially for those heading towards Mysore road as the underpass work is in progress at Foodworld and Hosekerehalli cross junctions a little ahead
perty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 13:10   #13575
BHPian

Some hope in sight for B'loreans, traffic issues of Bangalore were discussed in parliament and now NHAI has taken over the implementation of PRR. Hope PRR takes shape in next 3 years or so -
http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.co...w/57153873.cms
Acharya is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks