Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2017, 07:28   #13471
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Pretty severe fog today morning 6 to 6:45 AM on Sarjapur road during my drive to Dommasandra and back. Folks be careful. I recommend slowing down considerably (~30KMPH) to be safe.
Old 30th January 2017, 08:35   #13472
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw yesterday that the under-construction flyover near PESIT and Girinagar entrance on the ORR is too narrow. From the looks of it, it looked like it will be a one-lane-each-way flyover. If that is the case, it will be a waste of money. It will be similar to the KHroad (double road) flyover towards Richmond circle. If a Bus or Truck breaksdown on it, then it will be a mess. I hope I'm proved wrong
Old 30th January 2017, 09:29   #13473
BHPian

Folks using NGEF - Byapanahalli Road to take a U turn for Indiranagar beware there is a massive pile up starting from before the bridge itself. Expect severe delays. The U turn has now been closed and one is expected to take a U Turn at Old Big Bazar Signal. Horrible excercise.
Old 30th January 2017, 09:36   #13474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I saw yesterday that the under-construction flyover near PESIT and Girinagar entrance on the ORR is too narrow. From the looks of it, it looked like it will be a one-lane-each-way flyover. If that is the case, it will be a waste of money. It will be similar to the KHroad (double road) flyover towards Richmond circle. If a Bus or Truck breaksdown on it, then it will be a mess. I hope I'm proved wrong
History repeats itself. They did the same elementary mistake with the flyover near the Sai Baba ashram at Whitefield too.
Old 30th January 2017, 09:43   #13475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Authorities opened the median on Outer Ring Road near Marathahalli in front of VIMS Hospital / More Mega Store. It might create some chaos, as observed in the last couple of days.
Saw today that this opening has been partially closed. But beware that there is enough space for the bikers to cross and potential to cause accidents.
Old 30th January 2017, 11:24   #13476
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
..... under-construction flyover near PESIT and Girinagar entrance on the ORR is too narrow. From the looks of it, it looked like it will be a one-lane-each-way flyover. If that is the case, it will be a waste of money......
It is a waste of money to begin with. The real bottleneck on that stretch is the signal before NICE turnoff, and this flyover will actually make it worse by feeding traffic to it faster. Same story with the one at Devegowda junction, it'll feed the Kamakya Theatre and Kathriguppe junctions, which are the real bottlenecks.

The only way to manage traffic on that stretch is to have a signal free elevated corridor upto Nayandahalli-ORR junction (or just before), which seemed to have been the original plan but they probably ran out of money or ideas or both.
Old 30th January 2017, 11:37   #13477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
It is a waste of money to begin with. The real bottleneck on that stretch is the signal before NICE turnoff, and this flyover will actually make it worse by feeding traffic to it faster. Same story with the one at Devegowda junction, it'll feed the Kamakya Theatre and Kathriguppe junctions, which are the real bottlenecks.

The only way to manage traffic on that stretch is to have a signal free elevated corridor upto Nayandahalli-ORR junction (or just before), which seemed to have been the original plan but they probably ran out of money or ideas or both.
Katriguppe underpass or flyover work will begin as soon as the Chennamma circle (DG petrol bunk) flyover is complete. Already all the trees at Katriguppe junction have been cut down in preparation for this. Kamakya, NICE road entrance will follow soon after. All junctions will get flyovers/underpasses to make the entire ORR signal free.

The one that angers me is the DG petrol bunk flyover's height. it is very less at 4.4 metres. They have put a warning board about the height. Couldn't hey have built it higher instead?
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 11:40   #13478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Exactly. The FO at Devegowda Junction will also screw up the small intersection between fire station and the kadirenhalli underpass which is already bad even though the signal holds some amount of traffic. It will turn out to be another bellandur and traffic management will become impractical. IMO, there should be a stay on all new flyovers and bridges and first aim towards streamlining the flow of traffic. Adding more and more flyovers wont help unless there is detailed analysis done on the aftermath of a stretch being made signal free. No roads are consistent in width and have proper lanes to follow depending upon the direction of intended travel.

The traffic police have just one medicine for everything - Close right and U turns and BBMP have another stupid drug called flyover. No logic prevails apart from shifting bottlenecks and juggling it all around town. Not a damn given to forcing people to drive in a more organised manner.
Old 30th January 2017, 11:42   #13479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Folks using NGEF - Byapanahalli Road to take a U turn for Indiranagar beware there is a massive pile up starting from before the bridge itself. Expect severe delays. The U turn has now been closed and one is expected to take a U Turn at Old Big Bazar Signal. Horrible excercise.
I hope the common sense prevails and the U-turn is opened again. Sometimes, the authorities does not even visualize the consequences when they take these kind of decisions. I stay close to BTP and this has been blocked previously also, but every time they reverted back after one or two days. So, i just hope that they will do the same this time as well.
Old 30th January 2017, 11:53   #13480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Exactly. The FO at Devegowda Junction will also screw up the small intersection between fire station and the kadirenhalli underpass which is already bad even though the signal holds some amount of traffic. It will turn out to be another bellandur and traffic management will become impractical.
You: The junction at the road that comes from BDA complex park side will be a bottleneck.
BBMP: No problem, we'll sanction a flyover there.
You: Then traffic will shift to Kumaraswamy layout entrance which is already a badly designed underpass
BBMP: By that time, we will have experience in demolishing the Jayadeva flyover. So we'll demolish that underpass and build a totally new one
You: then the traffic will pile up at the Ilyas nagar petrol bunk junction just before Sarakki junction.
BBMP: We have a solution. UNDERPASS!!

And it goes on and on and on....

Come on, you should be happy, BBMP is working so hard for the citizens
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 11:59   #13481
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
..... Already all the trees at Katriguppe junction have been cut down in preparation for this....
They're doing it on the whole stretch, and it irks me real bad. Destroying green cover for building ill-designed stuff that'll ultimately be unfit for purpose. Destroying one of the few remaining areas in Bangalore that's actually pleasant to pass through.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th January 2017 at 12:01.
Old 30th January 2017, 14:04   #13482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Exactly. The FO at Devegowda Junction will also screw up the small intersection between fire station and the kadirenhalli underpass which is already bad even though the signal holds some amount of traffic.
I live very close to that junction. I have faced problems going home because of the pile up at that junction.
My guess is - traffic police will close off the gap in the divider. As a result:
- traffic from Deve Gowda will be free to turn left and go through BSK 2nd Stage
- traffic from Kadirenahalli underpass which normally turns right at this junction will re-route itself through Yarab Nagar
- locals will all drive on the wrong side of the road
- some bright spark will cut the divider for the convenience of 2-wheelers

Currently, the pile ups at this junction is because people use the residential lanes to cut travel time. All that traffic will clog other streets.
Old 30th January 2017, 17:49   #13483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I hope the common sense prevails
Whats that ???

I had the amazing experience at 8:00 this morning turning right from OMR into Varthur road to find a cop trying to get two right turns happening at the same time !!! It was like playing dodgem-cars. To add to the confusion you had in typical Indian fashion cars in the outermost '8th' lane trying to make a U turn + traffic going straight towards K R Puram bridge, it was surreal !!!

Good luck to anyone who travels that stretch unless they switch back to the old format.
Old 30th January 2017, 19:53   #13484
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
i observed a small poster put up by the Bangalore Traffic Police at the Old Madras Road U turn which read that the "Suddaguntepalya U turn will be shut down shortly and motorists will have to take the Big Bazar U turn"
Heard from a friend that this has been implemented today, but seems like a trial given that the cops have used steel barricades to close the opening in the median on Old Madras Road. He also says the residents of the area are happy with this move, since it will reduce traffic from Bagmane tech park who use this as a short cut to go towards KR Puram side.

Quote:
If the redesigned layout has made that bus bay wider to facilitate a right for additional traffic, then it should be ok. But if it is just about closing the right after the bus stop, I agree with audioholic, it's not a very good idea.
I passed this way last evening and noticed that the bus stop road has been widended by breaking the erstwhile median/footpath on left and moving the bus stop to the new island (but no shelter yet, people were standing on the island).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th January 2017 at 19:59.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 20:19   #13485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Heard from a friend that this has been implemented today, but seems like a trial given that the cops have used steel barricades to close the opening in the median on Old Madras Road. He also says the residents of the area are happy with this move, since it will reduce traffic from Bagmane tech park who use this as a short cut to go towards KR Puram side.
I hope its only a trial as you say, because the short cut taking traffic on the old 'U' turn is nothing compared to the traffic on Varthur Road. Varthur road, and a completely choked Nagavarapalya 'Main' road are the two main artery's that feed Kaggadasapura and beyond, and traffic during peak hours gets severely backed up. The road through DRDO is the other shortcut to Bagmane Tech Park, but is only for private vehicles, so now those using the shortcut will most likely end up using an already choked Varthur Road.

Residents of the previous cross road may be happy but those living on Varthur Road and beyond are going to be up in arms. You are not solving the problem, just creating more chaos.

Last edited by keroo1099 : 30th January 2017 at 20:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks