Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2010, 06:45   #1321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ you mean after the domlur flyover on indra nagar side? that could be a reason for traffic jams on IRR in mornings! But whats stranger is authorities don't understand the impact of this stupidity!

I always found 1030am relatively empty as compared to the peak morning hour of 9-10am
When driving in the morning towards Indiranagar 100 feet road from IRR, I saw a Corolla taking a U-turn and a cop letting him go across a broken set of road divider. I thought, there would be a U-turn coming up. Also there a queue lined up from OMR flyover to EGL behind this U-Turn location (BTW this place was between EGL and OMR flyover).

But when I drove back in the evening, I did not see any vehicle taking U. So not sure. I thought that Corolla guy might be some traffic VIP ! But yes, yesterday for the first time even at 8:30 in the morning I noticed heavy traffic, which normally is smooth.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:05   #1322
BHPian

Did I break any rule Yesterday ?

Hi Guys

Need your thoughts and inputs on my actions yesterday.

As the news came in yesterday about the fire @ carlton towers, I left office early. I am very much attached to the place, as I have been to the said tower for food etc. Now when I was leaving early, at a traffic signal, I was the first in queue and there were a couple of vehicles behind me. The signal was for the opposite direction to come straight or go right from their lanes. Next minute I hear a big horn from the fire engine which was stuck behind me, a couple of cars behind me. Knowing the situation in Domlur, I could easily understand that this guy wants to go there and was shouting to break the signal and let him go. Taking the cue, I put on the blinkers of my car and broke the red signal [ after making sure no car is coming towards my lane ] and let him get some way to go ahead. Hearing the fire engine blaring, during my action of breaking the signal, traffic cop franctically asked eveyone in my direction to break the signal and let the fire engine go ahead.

I know I broke the signal yesterday, but thinking about the fire and the emergency situation, I had to take action. Did I do anything wrong. Was feeling a lot about the same

Thanks for your patience for hearing me out. Had to let it go.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:10   #1323
Senior - BHPian

You did this as a responsible person. There is nothing wrong in what you did. Infact you saved precious 5 mins for that fire engine to pass through. This is the fact that everyone has to understand. When there is an emergency like this one or an ambulance stuck in the center of the traffic, the person in the first row has to give way or the traffic police have to make way for them but this happens only about 20-30% of the times not only here but in all parts of India IMO.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:17   #1324
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
traffic cop franctically asked eveyone in my direction to break the signal and let the fire engine go ahead.
The Traffic Cop should be suspended.

What you did was correct.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:18   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
I know I broke the signal yesterday, but thinking about the fire and the emergency situation, I had to take action. Did I do anything wrong. Was feeling a lot about the same

Thanks for your patience for hearing me out. Had to let it go.
Awe! You did nothing wrong bro! You helped the engine get to the scene faster.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:34   #1326
BHPian

@shishir, spitfire, prince :

Thanks a lot guys for your words. It takes away the load from my shoulders
Old 24th February 2010, 22:14   #1327
Senior - BHPian

Its a common practice in the US. If you are at the lights, and you have a cop/ambulance/fire truck trying to get to an emergency, you ARE EXPECTED to get out of the way, even if it means crossing the signal with its red. Thats why, getting to an intersection and hearing a siren, one must use caution and slow down and if need be, come to a halt so the vehicle can get past you/ get through the intersection and move on.
So don't worry about what you did, its far from being wrong. I hope more people understand the urge to let a cop or ambulance get through, and not just sit there blocking traffic totally oblivious to the fact that someone was in danger!
Old 25th February 2010, 08:34   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, driving down Bannerghatta road from Hosur road, i stop behind a truck in the right lane at the Bosch signal. The lane next to me on my right has oncoming traffic. While i wait, a white Omni, KA 01MC 4937, comes from behind, to my right, in the path of oncoming traffic and tries to butt in between me and the truck. So i honk and ask him whats the hurry? He asks me if i know kannada. At this point i am slightly baffled. What has knowing kannada got to do with driving? Last i checked, knowing local language does not give you a special privilege to break the law. Anyway, so i tell him no. Still he continues to speak in kannada. Which is even more surprising since i just told this idiot that i dont know kannada!! Obvious conclusion is that he doesnt understand meaning of simple words as well. So its unfair of me to expect him to follow traffic rules. Its too much to ask.

At this point i realize that i am talking to a pea brained nitwit of a moron who under the guise of being a localite is bringing bad name to the good folks of Bangalore.

So i just move on.
Old 25th February 2010, 08:54   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Yesterday, driving down Bannerghatta road from Hosur road, i stop behind a truck in the right lane at the Bosch signal. The lane next to me on my right has oncoming traffic.
It is a norm at that localtion, sadly.
I have seen truckers from the stone/granite shops come to the wrong lane
in search of a cut in the median to go where they actually want.
I have see a Govt. bus do that too on a Sunday Afternoon.
There is no excuse to breaking the law. Be it a Gov official or Omni
driver knowing kannada. If I were you I would return ask him if he had brains.
Old 25th February 2010, 08:57   #1330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
It is a norm at that localtion, sadly.
I have seen truckers from the stone/granite shops come to the wrong lane
in search of a cut in the median to go where they actually want.
I have see a Govt. bus do that too on a Sunday Afternoon.
There is no excuse to breaking the law. Be it a Gov official or Omni
driver knowing kannada. If I were you I would return ask him if he had brains.
That junction is a chaos. But some how, I tend not to avoid most times. But unfortunately thats the fastest connection to Majestic, if the NIMHANS route is choked. Also thats only link from North to South.
Old 25th February 2010, 08:59   #1331
Senior - BHPian

Sir, you aren't the one to blame. (If my memory serves me right, you are a Bangla-babu,babumoshaiyi!; if not, no big deal, I'll still teach you a few things in Kannada that everyone should know).
When you see such morons, either you use a baseball bat and smack the day lights out of the vehicle (not possible for us petrol heads), or you give a few 'kind' words to the person doing something like this.
If I had the chance, I'd have 'attempted' to stop the guy, and send him back all the way.
NOTE: I have deliberately put in a few 'words', the way they need to be. Coz its namma bengaluru, and anything can be done.If you are a cabbie, you rule the streets.
(OT: I'll be visiting B'lore in May/June. I hope to run into some of these characters during my stay.For nothing else,but to give them a piece of an old timer bangalorean's mind!!! )
Old 25th February 2010, 09:06   #1332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
(OT: I'll be visiting B'lore in May/June. I hope to run into some of these characters during my stay.For nothing else,but to give them a piece of an old timer bangalorean's mind!!! )
Nitin, I am 100% sure that the day you land here you will see these junk heads. It has become a common scene now. So we need not fret on this. Max 20-30% follow the rules and others say "Where is the rule"
Old 25th February 2010, 09:09   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Nitin, I am 100% sure that the day you land here you will see these junk heads. It has become a common scene now. So we need not fret on this. Max 20-30% follow the rules and others say "Where is the rule"
Absolutely, Shishir. I'm waiting for it. Every time I get to BLR, something or the other has to happen.This time round, I'd like to have something to do with the cabbies. Enough and more incidents, too many BHPians affected. I'm no helper, but I'd love to know how these cabbies think. Thats a totally different perspective,you see!
Old 28th February 2010, 09:11   #1334
BHPian

I was driving back from Coorg last Sunday.

This biker, with a lady on the backseat just came in front of my car from left side in order to take a U turn. He did not bother to take a look at the oncoming cars.

And this was at Mysore road, with a series of vehicles at a reasonably high speed.

Braked hard, and the car stopped 1 ft. behind the bike.

We honked to convey our dissatisfaction, but the biker did not even bother to look back and apologize.

Lucky that no vehicle rear ended our car. But anything could happen.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:31   #1335
BHPian

^^ if you would have made even a small contact with the bike - a crowd would have assembled and been all over you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks