Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2016, 00:50   #13321
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

After the authorities tried every permutation-combination of traffic flow relating to St.Johns Road, Madiwala Road & Indian Institute of Astrophysics road, I can safely call it a massive flop today.. a failure of gargantuan proportions.

I simply don't know why the traffic authorities are not considering this junction connecting Tavarekere-St.Johns-Forum-Silk Board as an ultra high-risk area. Allow me to explain for those who aren't familiar :

- Turning towards St.Johns Hospital is a wrestling match between brainless bikers, bulky buses, arrogant autos and jaywalking jokers who want to lay a trap every inch you move.

- Signal to straight movement towards Silkboard is turned off after a few seconds, bringing the left turn to a grinding halt as well as everyone clogs the space to go straight.

- The median which split the left and straight to prevent such clogging was brilliantly removed.

- Going from St.Johns towards Forum/Tavarekere one has to face super-long lines due to U-turning buses, autos and cars where that U-turn is not allowed. The crossover is also long and the yellow light is way too short and results in gridlocks always.

- I cannot decide which is the more useless route to reach Silk Board, via Indian Institute of Astrophysics to face a long line at the underpass start or Madiwala to face a long line at Kudremukh signal or via the underpass which is jammed at peak hours. Three roads connecting the same destination which are of little use. I say make the underpass one way again!! This time in the other direction. Also the St.Johns Road should be one-way towards Tavarekere-Forum direction.

ALL THIS in major junctions connecting various official routes and routes towards central district! Unbelievable. We're all growing numb to the sheer inefficiencies of the city, I'm accepting every violation and nonsensical traffic rules because its the easier way out in an environment overrun by criminals. Likewise all routes to Jayanagar, J.P Nagar and Indiranagar have become a joke. They should put a dozen more signals at 100 feet road Indiranagar, what they have is too less at present. Just a guy trying to make it to various destinations for official reasons, not even for recreational purposes.

Last edited by dark.knight : 31st December 2016 at 00:55.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 11:06   #13322
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend from Mumbai was visiting Bangalore recently and took the Railway over bridge that is now open for traffic in one direction (from BEL circle to Tumkur Road direction). He left for Mumbai couple days ago and got stuck at the Goragunteplaya Railway Overbridge. It was my fault since I told him that this side has been thrown open to traffic so he can take it. He says it took almost an hour to get past the place around 8:30pm
There were long trucks, bikers, cars and everyone was trying to overtake and merge into the correct lanes at the beginning of the flyover causing mayhem!
Old 1st January 2017, 11:18   #13323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
A friend from Mumbai was visiting Bangalore recently and took the Railway over bridge that is now open for traffic in one direction (from BEL circle to Tumkur Road direction). He left for Mumbai couple days ago and got stuck at the Goragunteplaya Railway Overbridge. It was my fault since I told him that this side has been thrown open to traffic so he can take it. He says it took almost an hour to get past the place around 8:30pm
There were long trucks, bikers, cars and everyone was trying to overtake and merge into the correct lanes at the beginning of the flyover causing mayhem!
I expect this to get messier. I took this on my way to Mysore last Tuesday and at 0530 itself, there was a beeline of trucks and trailers crawling on this with cars and cabs and TTs honking and trying to overtake these on the narrow bridge that is not even 1.5 lanes.

To me this one is looking like a pre-designed, well calculated father of Hebbal flyover. They gave us a bridge but look at the width and compare that to the density of traffic. Even if you forget the density, you can't ignore the fact that there are more trucks (and more) on this stretch than you can think of. If trucks are banned, this might be little easier but we know how trucks drive all around the city round the clock here.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 18:43   #13324
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is BTP saying happy new year to all folks who visit/stay in Malleswaram/Rajajinagar/ Yeswantpur/Peenya & beyond.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-vlcsnap2017010118h03m36s235.png

A few months back they had closed the median in front of Vaishnavi Mall/ Yeswantpur railway station entrance road with barricades and it has resulted in a mess. Now they have closed it with concrete blocks and move the U turn further ahead - about 500-600 meter ahead.

On paper this should not have much of an impact but here is what is going on - All the trucks that need to go to APMC and industrial area now need to go all the way to Orion mall and take a U turn Observed that traffic had backed up all the way to Yeshwantpur metro station at 1 PM today and I had to crawl all the way to the flyover. It was worse near the market as the 2 lane towards Orion was filled with trucks.

To make things worse, BTP has now closed the down ramp to Orion mall near Metro C&C. Hence if you are using the flyover to get to Rajajinagar, then you need to go all the way to the U turn after Yeshwantpur Railway station and then fight the traffic that has choked the road. Not sure if this just temporary or they plan to make it permanent. You might be better off taking this route if you need to head to Rajajinagar from IISC - https://goo.gl/maps/1BDwonUEsDk
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 21:44   #13325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I expect this to get messier. I took this on my way to Mysore last Tuesday and at 0530 itself, there was a beeline of trucks and trailers crawling on this with cars and cabs and TTs honking and trying to overtake these on the narrow bridge that is not even 1.5 lanes.
Are the Flyover architects & engineers Brainless to design such a narrow flyover on a busy main road used by Heavy vehicles & city traffic?
It is pathetic that our taxpayers money is wasted on such dud flyovers, that too after waiting for 6 long years!
Old 1st January 2017, 22:06   #13326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Are the Flyover architects & engineers Brainless to design such a narrow flyover on a busy main road used by Heavy vehicles & city traffic?
It is pathetic that our taxpayers money is wasted on such dud flyovers, that too after waiting for 6 long years!
These "Engineers & Architects" belong to the same fraternity who may have also designed those Magic boxes as an alternate for proper underpasses. The results are witnessed everyday since almost 8 years now
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 07:39   #13327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
To make things worse, BTP has now closed the down ramp to Orion mall near Metro C&C. Hence if you are using the flyover to get to Rajajinagar, then you need to go all the way to the U turn after Yeshwantpur Railway station and then fight the traffic that has choked the road. Not sure if this just temporary or they plan to make it permanent. You might be better off taking this route if you need to head to Rajajinagar from IISC - https://goo.gl/maps/1BDwonUEsDk
Is this really going to be the set-up & permanent? If so, then it is going to be a Royal mess wherever the U-Turn is. There is a lot more traffic that takes the down ramp towards Mysore Lamps/Rajajinagar/Chord Road than the set of vehicles that head straight towards Tumkur as I notice this each time I visit Orion or YPR Railway Station.

I am suspecting this to be a stop-gap arrangement to facilitate smooth movement of traffic for the upcoming Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas happening at BIEC this week?

Even then, I wonder what is the gain by creating a bottleneck ahead in the name of U-Turn which is going to create chaos anyway.

Last month I visited Vaishnavi Sapphire Mall twice to watch a movie and both the times I was lucky to take U-Turn right in front of it to get back home and now with the closure of the U-Turn here, seems like I need to either go via Mathikere or take a U turn near Mysore Lamps and then head back towards Taj Vivanta.

And before I forget, is the other U-Turn which you mention 500-600 meters ahead in front of RNS Apartments?

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd January 2017 at 07:40.
Old 2nd January 2017, 07:59   #13328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am suspecting this to be a stop-gap arrangement to facilitate smooth movement of traffic for the upcoming Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas happening at BIEC this week?
Only going to make it worse as they have ended up creating more bottle necks instead of easing out traffic.
Quote:
And before I forget, is the other U-Turn which you mention 500-600 meters ahead in front of RNS Apartments?
Its right in front of the entrance to golden grand apartments. There used to be a U turn in front of RNS apartments as well, not sure if they have closed that.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 09:29   #13329
BHPian

Saw Bangalore Elevated Tollway doing soil tests on couple of stretches. Old Airport to Marathahalli, Kundanahalli, Siddapura towards Whitefield. Does anyone have updates.
Old 2nd January 2017, 11:10   #13330
BHPian

Was stranded for around 40 Minutes in Krishnagiri Toll yesterday. Thankfully took a detour to avoid attibele toll.
How was the traffic in other tolls yesterday?
Old 2nd January 2017, 11:21   #13331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Was stranded for around 40 Minutes in Krishnagiri Toll yesterday. Thankfully took a detour to avoid attibele toll.
I returned from Kochi last night. The jam at Thoppur toll plaza extended upto 1 km. The cop out there diverted the vehicles around the toll plaza. The alternate road was very very bad . Basically broken road and the detour is slightly more. I had no other option but to go via the alternate road rather than wait in the jam. I ended up saving money on Thoppur toll
Old 2nd January 2017, 11:32   #13332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These "Engineers & Architects" belong to the same fraternity who may have also designed those Magic boxes as an alternate for proper underpasses. The results are witnessed everyday since almost 8 years now
I hope that they put up a median. to prevent vehicles going on opposite lanes to overtake. Vehicles need to be guided with barricades. Even sheep are better :(

I think some contractor who built only houses was given the contract for this. The pace, the design, everything is horrible.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 14:28   #13333
BHPian

Quote:
Last week I was travelling to Pondicherry via Vellore. I took 9.5 hours for 380 kms. Waiting between 30 minutes to 45 in every toll plaza. At Krishnagiri, it was 1.5 km long queue.

While returning I decided to take Tiruvannamalai road. With bad roads, I could still reach Bangalore in 7 hours.
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 15:39   #13334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Returned from Goa yesterday. We started at around noon and reached home just after mid-night, with breaks for lunch, tea and dinner. I was expecting crowd in toll plazas, so started late and it worked as I did not encounter much queues for toll. In most cases, I was able to cross toll gates within 5 mins.

Last edited by airbus : 2nd January 2017 at 15:41.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 16:55   #13335
Distinguished - BHPian

-Over the weekend service roads on both sides of ORR between Marathahalli & Sarjapur road junction - Iblur was patched up. The patch work seems like its done by some kid and may not last more than few weeks. Still there is something done.

- They are creating an entry from ORR to Cessna business park / Embassy tech square at Kadubeesinahalli. Earlier to enter the tech park you need to take service road from Marathahalli near VIMS hospital and proceed on service road. Now you can cross Kadubeesinahalli underpass and take left to the tech park. However, I guess ORR flow will be messed up if vehicles from tech park join ORR. Concrete slab over drainage near was constructed on Sat, guess they would complete the work by this week. Funny thing is that there was an entry here till last year or so, police removed it since it was causing traffic pileup on ORR.

- Though not related to traffic, came across this article in TOI. This was something which I had noticed some 14 years back. Sad that the situation still remains same.
Link
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks