Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2016, 17:52   #12811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
I read that they could attach 4 coaches too, while you see 2 in this video. The physical footprint is much lesser & with lower footprint, the infra cost is less too.
Yes, as someone mentioned - monorail. But for a city like Bangalore 2 or 4 coaches will do nothing. You can't have more coaches because then the USP - low footprint - will no longer be the case.

Monorail is good for that Dusseldorf kind of use-case - between terminals at an airport, for example. In Bangalore we need mass people movers (Mumbai locals come to mind, but with better comfort levels and control over the crowd let us say).
Old 16th September 2016, 11:04   #12812
BHPian

The Cauvery theater junction underpass has finally reopened
This was much needed as the closure was not serving any purpose. People who were going towards mekhri circle didnt see any reduction in traffic and it also caused jams on all small roads in around the area, not to mention the HUGE jam near Sadashivnagar Police Station
Attached Images

vin_b is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 20:24   #12813
Distinguished - BHPian

While this inter state issue has affected outside vehicles and its owners, there has been an annoying change in the way non KA vehicles are being driven. While I have to appreciate some of these vehicles being driven in a sedate and defensive manner to avoid any issues, there is another bunch of vehicles, especially two wheelers who have started to ride as if they are running for their lives. This trend started from Monday when the riots broke out. If Monday was an excuse given the violence, I don't understand why that should become a habit. If one is worried about their safety or their vehicle's, its better to drive defensively rather than driving like maniacs and inviting trouble. Who knows, one nudge and they can spark a fresh round of riots. I am not calling other vehicles sane, but these people have a typical 'running-away' mode of driving. Quickly nudge into gap, cut lane and then zoom off. Not even cabbies and company buses can compete to this extent
Old 16th September 2016, 20:30   #12814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
While this inter state issue has affected outside vehicles and its owners, there has been an annoying change in the way non KA vehicles are being driven. While I have to appreciate some of these vehicles being driven in a sedate and defensive manner to avoid any issues, there is another bunch of vehicles, especially two wheelers who have started to ride as if they are running for their lives.
For all we know, it might start another issue if these morons bang into a local vehicle. I just don't see a day when we can consider ourself as good riders/drivers all around :(
Old 17th September 2016, 04:38   #12815
BHPian

Hey guys, how is the situation near the airport? My dad is flying back tomorrow (Sunday) and will be travelling from Basavanagudi to the airport. From what I've heard, everything is back to normal, but just wanted to confirm! Thank you
Old 17th September 2016, 06:26   #12816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
Hey guys, how is the situation near the airport? My dad is flying back tomorrow (Sunday) and will be travelling from Basavanagudi to the airport. From what I've heard, everything is back to normal, but just wanted to confirm! Thank you
It's back to normal, no issues.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 09:39   #12817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
This is a daily travel route for me and most of the time in peak traffic hours the u-turn is barricaded. If the cops don't want people turning during peak hours, why can't they remove the u-turn completely and add another lane for traffic to flow from mekhri circle to hebbal flyover?

They have done this with the Cauvery theatre magic box, where they have closed an entire road. And the flow is much more smooth now.
Oops, spoke too soon, the Cauvery 'magic' box has been reopened to traffic again . The thing is if they close off turns which a decent chunk of traffic wants to make, you throw the traffic in the entire surrounding areas out of gear. When they closed that underpass they only thought about free flow of traffic from BDA junction to Mekhri Circle.

The traffic from Bhashyam circle wanting to go towards MG road had 2 options
1) Go left towards Mekhri circle and take a U
2) Go towards Guttahalli circle from Bhashyam circle and join Bellary at BDA junction.

Option 1 forces vehicles unnecessarily on to Bellary road towards Mekhri circle adding to already crawling traffic. Option creates a huge mess at Guttahalli circle and the U in front of VW and ford showrooms both of which were never meant to handle this amount of traffic.
Old 17th September 2016, 10:13   #12818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Oops, spoke too soon, the Cauvery 'magic' box has been reopened to traffic again .
I know. But the irony was that yesterday during peak hours in the evening the traffic was considerably less all the way from Windsor Manor right upto Hebbal flyover. Don't know what the reason was.

The papers say that opening the Cauvery magic box is temporary as survey is expected to begin for the steel flyover.
Old 17th September 2016, 12:33   #12819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
the steel flyover.
Imagine the mess during construction of the flyover. Even after, I doubt it will do much to ease road blocks as this will just transfer the bottlenecks from multiple locations to one solid bottleneck at the downramp of the flyover when it connects to hebbal flyover. And once complete, Hebbal will replace silkboard as the traffic hotspot of Bangalore.
Old 17th September 2016, 12:43   #12820
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Imagine the mess during construction of the flyover. Even after, I doubt it will do much to ease road blocks as this will just transfer the bottlenecks from multiple locations to one solid bottleneck at the downramp of the flyover when it connects to hebbal flyover. And once complete, Hebbal will replace silkboard as the traffic hotspot of Bangalore.
I read somewhere that the steel flyover will cross over Hebbal and land directly beyond Esteem Mall!
Old 18th September 2016, 16:48   #12821
Senior - BHPian

Is there any bandh/harthal planned for 19th?? Just got back from Kerala via the NH47-NH7 route today. Comments about that journey is there on the "All roads to Kerala" thread.
Old 18th September 2016, 17:20   #12822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Is there any bandh/harthal planned for 19th?? Just got back from Kerala via the NH47-NH7 route today. Comments about that journey is there on the "All roads to Kerala" thread.
Not sure about the bandh on 19th but the hearing is slated on Tuesday at 2 PM. Post the hearing we will have a clear picture on the developments
Old 18th September 2016, 18:27   #12823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Is there any bandh/harthal planned for 19th??
This article in BM gives the "programme" for Monday and Tuesday:

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/articleshow/54384551.cms

In other news, it seems Old Airport Road has been renamed today:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/54386913.cms
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 18:49   #12824
Senior - BHPian

Today there was a huge traffic jam on KH road around 1 pm. There was traffic from shanti nagar bus stand onwards towards the flyover! Guess this may have been because of the work going on the flyover.

Last edited by SDP : 18th September 2016 at 21:36. Reason: Deleting off-topic part of the post
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 20:36   #12825
BHPian

Came across this post..

Bengaluru flyovers poorly designed: Brazilian expert Paulo Sergio Custodio

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/8lu...ert-Paulo.html

Well.. we do not need an expert to comment on this.. even an animal which is trying to cross these roads will have something similar to say!
500ContyCruiser is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks