Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2016, 12:20   #12601
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Today morning on my office commute from Bannerghata rd to Koramangala, there was hardly any traffic. Except for a couple of signals, traffic was pretty sparse. Am guessing some people have already taken an off or are preparing to work from home tomorrow.
I heard some companies have declared work from home and some others have declared a holiday tomorrow and compensated by keeping 17th Sept, Saturday as working.
Old 8th September 2016, 12:31   #12602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Today morning on my office commute from Bannerghata rd to Koramangala, there was hardly any traffic. Except for a couple of signals, traffic was pretty sparse. Am guessing some people have already taken an off or are preparing to work from home tomorrow.
I heard some companies have declared work from home and some others have declared a holiday tomorrow and compensated by keeping 17th Sept, Saturday as working.
Even I felt the same. My regular time for reaching office is anywhere between 50 mins to 1.15 hrs and the route I take is lalbagh - > forum -> agara - > sarjapur. But today I reached office in 40 mins flat with no traffic except near christ college.

Tomorrow is off for all government offices, colleges, schools. Many of the private organizations have already declared off as this bandh is a pretty serious one and they do not want to risk the ire of the people and also risk the safety of employees. Our company is working on 10th to compensate while my wife's company would be working on 17th.

Last edited by SDP : 8th September 2016 at 19:39. Reason: typo
Old 8th September 2016, 12:56   #12603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Any suggestions as to what I should do?
Catch the 615AM Bangalore - Ernakulam Intercity express. Any day safer than hitting the road tomorrow. The same train returns and should be at Dharmapuri at around 4pm. Should give you enough time to finish you work.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 12:58   #12604
Senior - BHPian

Yes, looks like tomorrow will be a total shutdown. We've all been asked to make arrangements to work from home and be in office before 6 AM if we have no options to wfh. Oh well, at least something has the power to bring the state to its knees. Across political affiliations.
Old 8th September 2016, 13:17   #12605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Rode from Bangalore - Chennai last night, but took WhiteField - Vartur - Sarjapura - Bagalur - Hosur route instead of Silkboard - E.City - Attibelle.

Found there were ZERO, absolute ZERO issues on this road. And the road conditions are good.
Thanks! This is useful info. I knew there was a road, but assumed it was a broken down track.

Any tolls on this road ? If not, that's one more saving!
Old 8th September 2016, 13:19   #12606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Need to travel to Dharmapuri and back tomorrow. Going out of Bangalore will be at around 6 AM and should not be a problem but coming back will be. Mine is a KA registered car but we are from Tamilnadu. Any suggestions as to what I should do?
Intercity express is the best option. You will be in the bangalore city station much before 6 AM. While coming back to bangalore, I guess the train reaches Bangalore city by 7 PM. The bandh is from 6 AM to 6 PM.
I guess you will be fine with this option
Old 8th September 2016, 13:29   #12607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Thanks! This is useful info. I knew there was a road, but assumed it was a broken down track.

You will be avoiding paying toll at Attibele alone by the above said route.
Old 8th September 2016, 14:20   #12608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post

I had taken this route in April, on my way back from Kerala. Mentioned here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post3962896 (All Roads to Kerala)

The road from Hosur till Bagalur is a very wide, well-maintained national highway (NH 207). At Bagalur town there could be a bit of a holdup but nothing that need to worry you. Once you turn left towards Sarjapur it is still good roads till the TN-KA border. After you cross the border and hit Sarjapur town some misery starts. Most likely you already know how it is on the Sarjapur-Dommasandra-Doddakannelli-Iblur road till the ORR.

There are no tolls on this road. Getting on to this road at Hosur is a bit of a challenge, though (you have to go under a flyover, take a U-turn and then turn left into NH 207).

Last edited by binand : 8th September 2016 at 14:22.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 14:37   #12609
Distinguished - BHPian

My company is closed tomorrow too. Same last friday. We were asked to apply for paid leave but, which made us lose two holidays.

But the overall intensity will be greater tomorrow compared to last friday. Hope the poor BMTC buses and cars are saved of any damage.
Old 8th September 2016, 14:44   #12610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
My company is closed tomorrow too. Same last friday. We were asked to apply for paid leave but, which made us lose two holidays.

But the overall intensity will be greater tomorrow compared to last friday. Hope the poor BMTC buses and cars are saved of any damage.
Its a work from home day for us. I'm honestly not a big fan of working from home . No real work actually happens.
Old 8th September 2016, 15:35   #12611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic
My company is closed tomorrow too. Same last friday. We were asked to apply for paid leave but, which made us lose two holidays
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos
I'm honestly not a big fan of working from home
My company has just made up their mind and declared a holiday for Sep 9th. Even I am not a big fan of working from home, and rather really want to be "at home" when I reach back from office. Any way, I had planned to "log in from home (town)" tomorrow. Have some pending work out there. I just hope that Ka.SRTC would operate their buses today evening as well. Most likely would just apply for a day's leave on Saturday and forget the whole thing.

From the message I hear on the ground, tomorrow's bandh would be much more strongly enforced. An FM channel was even quoting the Com.Pol and saying that TN registered vehicles is best left indoors tomorrow. I don't expect much problems on TN side as the court verdict favours the state. But in KA, even the state government would have to play ball and allow some sort of "strong protest" to happen.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:04   #12612
Distinguished - BHPian

And only the Business unit of my firm is operational while others are not. It also means, all of us are advised to Work From Home which pretty much my entire workforce does otherwise too.

And to me, Its been more than a week now that I drove to work as I have been working from Home since the last strike.

To me, unless I am too much loaded, Working from Home is the best option than driving 35 kms one way. There are always advantages - Spending time on road Vs office and I do that quite frequently.
Old 8th September 2016, 16:19   #12613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hope the poor BMTC buses and cars are saved of any damage.
KSRTC, BMTC, Auto, taxi unions; hotels, mall, bar association, cable operators, petrol bunks, BBMP all have pledged support to bundh. None of these services will be available.
Old 8th September 2016, 17:23   #12614
BHPian

On the contrary, I find work from home to be a great boon in today global environment with distributed teams. Even when you go to office, you end up joining numerous conference calls. IMO, work from home saves time, traffic hassles and results in higher productivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Its a work from home day for us. I'm honestly not a big fan of working from home . No real work actually happens.
Old 8th September 2016, 18:44   #12615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Even I am not a big fan of working from home, and rather really want to be "at home" when I reach back from office. .
Considering the chaotic bangalore traffic, work from home is the best option. Productivity will improve lot better as you are cutting down on the travel part. Moreover even in office you talk to your counterparts who sit in US. That can be done even if you sit at your home. May be once in fortnight the employees should go to office to share the updates from your side to your boss.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks