Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2016, 10:55   #12466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
A Verna has crashed and climbed onto the median at new horizon engineering college, towards silkboard side. This has caused a sizeable jam not because the car is occupying a lane but because of folks trying to take a glimpse of the scene. Didn't take a pic as I didn't want to contribute to the mess. Traffic on the other lane is also affected(towards Marthhalli)
I reached the spot minutes after the accident. I inquired with the driver if he needs help. He was fine. He told me that he was trying to save a biker. But looking at the condition of the car as it moved a heavy concrete block by few feet, I assume it was doing a decent speed. I left when Hyundai guys reached the spot. The place where accident occurred got an illegal two wheeler U-Turn, that may be a contributory factor
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20160824_100637.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20160824_100739.jpg  

Last edited by airbus : 24th August 2016 at 10:59.
airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 11:33   #12467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I reached the spot minutes after the accident. I inquired with the driver if he needs help. He was fine. He told me that he was trying to save a biker. But looking at the condition of the car as it moved a heavy concrete block by few feet, I assume it was doing a decent speed. I left when Hyundai guys reached the spot. The place where accident occurred got an illegal two wheeler U-Turn, that may be a contributory factor

Yes, there is a cut in the median and I see mostly the students from the college using that to cross ORR.
glenmz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 12:27   #12468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
The place where accident occurred got an illegal two wheeler U-Turn, that may be a contributory factor
Not a "May Be" thing at all. It "IS" the contributing factor here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Yes, there is a cut in the median
Or should we say "People have CUT the median"? All illegal stuff are created by people who are always in a hurry (for no reason of course)

Also, this isn't the only one. Between this and the underpass, there's another one, just next to the underpass. That's even more horrible!

Quote:
I see mostly the students from the college using that to cross ORR.
If you get to this spot at different times, you'll see the "EDUCATED" Software Engineers / Managers / IT Employees in general on bikes using this

Adding the video from my dashcam

Last edited by vnidta : 24th August 2016 at 12:46.
vnidta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 13:17   #12469
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

During my morning commute to work, traffic used to be heavy between Tin Factory junction and the KR Puram Railway station, but after that it used to ease out with many vehicles taking the ORR up ramp or the service road to ITPL road but this week I find this place clogged, making it very difficult to get to the service road
I think this is the after-effect of the Railway underpass, as vehicles from KR Puram are using it to enter ITPL road and ORR. However, traffic coming from ORR cannot enter the underpass as it has been blocked but yet the situation is quite bad.

Also, what's with the traffic cops blocking off the service roads at Ramamurthy Nagar, Mahadevapura, etc ? What purpose it does it serve other than moving the traffic jam to some other point
Old 24th August 2016, 14:27   #12470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
If you get to this spot at different times, you'll see the "EDUCATED" Software Engineers / Managers / IT Employees in general on bikes using this
Jumping median has become a norm across the Bangalore roads.
Every one cross over the median where ever they want.

Last week, a Tata Sumo jumped in front of me near 3M outlet at the Sarjapur Road. I was lucky enough not to hit him directly on the side.

The median there is wide but not high enough. So, a good number of people, (2/3/4/6 wheelers ) jump the median to avoid travelling a little more distance and then a U-turn.

Last edited by Sree73 : 24th August 2016 at 14:28.
Sree73 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 16:26   #12471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Jumping median has become a norm across the Bangalore roads
So, a good number of people, jump the median to avoid travelling a little more distance and then a U-turn.
Let's become lenient to those who jump the median and try taking a U-Turn. What do you call these fellas? Just check that old post of mine. Freaking people all around us!
Old 24th August 2016, 18:47   #12472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Jumping median has become a norm across the Bangalore roads.
Every one cross over the median where ever they want.
Yes indeed. In most cases, their primary goal is to show the middle finger to Newton and all his laws.

Back in Oct 2010, ORR stretch between Ibblur and Agara, where the entire stretch is tree lined, including the median, I faced some similar clowns.
The cops decided to have some fun and run some impromptu checks for the Autos without their display boards. I was on the center lane with a Auto on the right lane. The auto guy thought that flying over the divider would be a better option. Front wheel goes on, Center of Gravity & Centrifugal force kicks in and the auto first goes off on two wheels and then tries to take a tumble. Fortunately, as always, the good Samaritan in me & my Punto was there to help. The auto leaned on my car in the middle lane, put a nice long kiss on my right doors, got all the wheels back on terra firma and oddly enough, decided to move on,without a basic acknowledgement. The ingratitude miffed me off, especially since it came at a cost, so I cut him off, and ensured he lands up like a ripe fruit, right into the hands of the curious cops, who have been observing the antics to their amusement.Well, at least I got the auto guy to contribute 100/- to the community.

What amazes be is the fact that in spite of a blockbuster movie being made out of this menace(U Turn), people and authorities care zilch about the obvious!
Old 24th August 2016, 20:25   #12473
BHPian

These days the traffic at BEL circle is extremely bad. Today there was a jam from the base of the bridge taking vehicles from ORR to BEL right upto the left turn towards HMT. Situation is getting worse everyday. I think the major factor is vehicles using this route to avoid the Yeswantpur railway crossing. God knows when that flyover is going to be completed.
Old 24th August 2016, 21:10   #12474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
I think the major factor is vehicles using this route to avoid the Yeswantpur railway crossing. God knows when that flyover is going to be completed.
I am one of those who use this deviation to avoid the railway gate. Have no other choice because the jam at the railway crossing takes ages to clear. The work seems to be progressing at slower than a snail's pace . They haven't even started the work of the up ramp on the BEL circle side yet.
Old 25th August 2016, 08:08   #12475
Senior - BHPian

Looks like there is a truck breakdown near Innovative multi-plex at Marathahalli, and two vehicles right there on the road after an accident. At Devasandra near K.R puram.
Old 25th August 2016, 08:41   #12476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Looks like there is a truck breakdown near Innovative multi-plex at Marathahalli, and two vehicles right there on the road after an accident. At Devasandra near K.R puram.
I noticed the truck breakdown while coming to office in I shift (around 6:15 AM). One can expect a major traffic jam because of this.
Old 25th August 2016, 08:43   #12477
Distinguished - BHPian

Morning at around 7:30 there was a bus broken down after indiranagar cemetery on SV road going towards KR Pura. If its still there, it would be blocking the left lane completely. Either avoid this stretch or if you have no choice then stick to the right lane to move faster and avoid last minute lane switching.

By the way, these days, I saw two occurrences where I found well driven school vans and then realised there was a lady at the wheel. Today I noticed a yellow board Tata Winger having school kids being driven by a lady. I am not sure how this system works, or if there is some agency offering this service, but I feel this is the way to go. I appreciate such an initiative, which ensures that the kids are far more safer than those horribly driven Omnis, TT and Auto Rickshaws.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 10:14   #12478
BHPian

I feel proud!

Stopped two bikers from jumping the median at the same point opposite Novozymes on Whitefield main road.

Though they had 'what-is-your-problem' look on their face in the beginning, I guess later they understood what mistake they were about to commit.
sidzz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 10:53   #12479
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday morning at Tin factory there was the usual heavy traffic scenario but vehicles were "lined up" well and moving (we never follow lane discipline anyways so this was the next best to expect) and I saw a private bus in the IRVM who was bullying his way trying to get past other vehicles. Suddenly I see the guy beside me and trying to nudge past by cutting into my lane. There were couple of "navigators" on the foot-board trying to wave/shoo/whistle/et all to make others stop or move away to make way for their bus. They were frantically trying to get me to stop. I just ignored them since traffic was moving slowly but peacefully in a line and if I stop to let this bus go ahead, it would create more confusion for the vehicles behind who were also patiently being in line.
Now, one of the guys steps out from the bus and first shouts angrily at me asking me to give way and I gave him a very quizzical what-have-I-done-wrong look and he then folds his hands and points at his watch to indicate they're getting late. At this point, I rolled the glass down and told him calmly that all of us are getting late but we are being patient and your impatient attitude and antics are only going to cause more delays. The guy got back to his position on the foot-board and went in our "lines", all was well

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
Stopped two bikers from jumping the median at the same point opposite Novozymes on Whitefield main road.
At this place even the guy manning the traffic - either a home guards person or a traffic constable allow the vehicles coming from the wrong side (many return after dropping children off at the school there) to cross over to the other side and there is a perennial traffic jam with criss-crossing.

Last edited by NPV : 25th August 2016 at 10:54.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 07:48   #12480
BHPian

Hello - after the short but heavy spell of rain yesterday, can anyone travelling on ORR , especially near Salem Bridge comment on the traffic situation in the morning (26th, August) ?
Similarly, the KR Puram down ramp towards the station also gets choked due to water logging - is that the situation today as well ?

Thanks for any information.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks