Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 14:40   #1216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Wow what an idea to vent it out here..AFAIK, he couldnot have been a tbhp member simply because, the forum members (most of them) will atleast have some senses and will not fight it out like above. Just my thoughts.
You yourself say 'most'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
You assumed that there is parking space but in fact there is none. All those cars parked on both side of the road always causes chaos. This mess will not improve if people keep on parking their vehicles there. I had my share of problems and I never take my car in that road. I see a lot of senior citizens walking in that road and many a times cars and bikes give them a bruise.

I am a resident of the near by area and I plead to the members reading this post, lets not park our vehicles there and keep the road as traffic free as possible.
Well people have no choice right ? I stay there as well. The MK guys ask you to park there and its often you see double parking on the road most being illegal. However the MK guys have taken it one step ahead and drawn a white parking line there.So as a driver if I see that line I am within legal limits-chaos or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I have seen well dressed (hopefully well educated) IDIOTS in Bangalore driving on the wrong side of a divided road without any issue. They think its OK and COOL to use the other side if nobody is coming. When a long queue of cars starts to move at green light, these MORONS get to the other side and overtake all the waiting cars and turn right. Some %$#%$#%$% ones even turn left from the other side cutting the right turning / straight going traffic.

Are these IDIOTS only in Bangalore..or do we have competition elsewhere?
I wish there was a machine gun at each signal which shot at these guys.

The drivers can't be blamed entirely for this. Bangalore might be the ONLY PLACE in this planet where traffic cops urge you to drive on the wrong side so as not to waste time waiting! If you use NGEF road to enter Old Madras road you'll know. Kamaraj Road - Cubbon Road junction also has these brilliant samples of traffic cops. So, you see, cops have taught them to do so. So its OK.

I see a light at the end of the tunnel and i know that its the on-coming train.
I've lost all hopes.
I have seen traffic in Delhi and Mumbai as well. Road rage is often bloody there. Its more or less the same all across India. However what adds to the woes here is a mere 700 rupees bribe for a no test/no qs asked license through underground channels and mere indifference of the monitoring authority on things like signal jumping , wrong parking slow driving on the right lane on a highway etc. This is very specific to this city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
We Indians are the smartest in the World. All our actions are guided by risk/reward ratio which we are very good at computing quicker than anyone else in the World. Tell me what is the risk of jumping a RED signal in Bangalore ? And what is the reward ? And what is the punishment (or reward) if you are a good boy sticking to the laws ?

If you violate any traffic rule and don't get caught - you are rewarded instantly (saving time, fuel, hassle - and more importantly you feel smarter than others). If you get caught (very low probability), the bribe never exceeds Rs. 100. And if you don't take the risk, you stand in the queue of the fools. Now calculate the probability adjusted risk-reward for the action. We Indians never do wrong things !
If you are a good boy like I have been this morning you get caught behind a big fat 17th century truck on the right lane of a highway and waste 20 mins when you see your collegue driving by waving and zip zapping without indicators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong in doing that. The memberships are accepted after trying 2,3 or 4 times, so most of the time a 'Newbie' is not actually a 'Newbie'.. he/she has been a part of the community for quite a time and found it worth contributed his/her time in registering and being a part.

@Topic - It's usually awful seeing 2 people fighting on road, no matter whoever's fault it is. We are humans and tend to make mistakes, however, everyone wants to teach the other guy a lesson, when one's not at fault (No offence to anyone-just my thought).

Such instances like PaglaGoru faced usually makes us hyper, but lately I have learnt.. Smile is a better weapon to embarrass the person than beating him/her up.

Ofcourse, if the smile doesn't serve the need.. we all have other alternatives
True and usually I am the smile kind-I'd even say sorry if its my mistake.But somehow what he did never adds up to whatever his intentions were. Much like this recent incident at google campus in US. The comments there will easily point out why the guy was wrong even though his intention was to promote no cells while driving !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I guess the only other way out, when dealing with such characters, is to ignore them after a certain point. Some individuals love to go on lecturing others on the road (when they themselves would be at fault). So after a while, just walk away from the scene and avoid any further interaction with such people.
True,looking back this would have been the best I guess but sometimes things just go beyond.....

Last edited by PaglaGoru : 9th February 2010 at 14:45.
Old 9th February 2010, 15:29   #1217
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaglaGoru View Post
the MK guys have taken it one step ahead and drawn a white parking line there.So as a driver if I see that line I am within legal limits-chaos or otherwise.
No tom, dick and Mr MK retail can draw lines on the public road and make it a "legal" parking. Its hilarious that you justify your parking adding a line "chaos or otherwise".

Last edited by Spitfire : 9th February 2010 at 15:30.
Old 9th February 2010, 15:32   #1218
Senior - BHPian

I happened to go to MKA yesterday. People park and double park with drivers inside. Its time to speak to him regarding this. Decent guys I find them. But laws are laws. Lets see what he has to say.
Old 9th February 2010, 21:44   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
No tom, dick and Mr MK retail can draw lines on the public road and make it a "legal" parking. Its hilarious that you justify your parking adding a line "chaos or otherwise".
Well fact is I am not justfying,I am plain simple admitting that its not a parking in a registered or a legal way. But the road is as it is. And even on highways a white marking by the road means you can park the vehicle if you have a reason.So on a BBMP tar road I see that fat white marking I have no way to know if BBMP/RTO has drawn it or MR MKA. Thats what I said there. Also the broad daylight fact is I(and every other shopper ) have to park somewhere there to do my shopping and any customer let alone me has any choice but to follow the parking attendant there. Also if you read the post from where you draw the quotation I have sarcastically mentioned the fact that MK guys have pushed their luck on this one:

"The MK guys ask you to park there and its often you see double parking on the road most being illegal. However the MK guys have taken it one step ahead and drawn a white parking line there."

Finally none of my posts have a justification -on the contrary there are on the face admission that the parkings are NOT legal.

Also the point here is nothing happened when I had parked my vehicle there.It happened only when the bike guy came[who parked on the carb and wanted the attendant to help him get out] and I had to pull out.Also to further clarify I followed every driving signal in the book and gave sufficient time for any driver behind to know I was moving out. The argument started with the statement that "...hazard light dalnese kuch nahi hota...uneducated fools....."

Spitfire's post prompts me to think if sam_boy got the sarcasm so I clarified in length.If either of you feel offended please accept my apologieseace:

Unless of course the hilarity is in the sarcasm and Spitfire rightly added to it. In that case its heartening to see a fellow tbhpian has that fine sense of humor missing in people so much these days.

Last edited by PaglaGoru : 9th February 2010 at 21:51.
Old 9th February 2010, 23:13   #1220
BHPian

A typical Indian is characterized by three unique behavioral traits.

1. We prefer convenience to excellence
2. We have absolutely zero respect for a fellow Indian (aam aadmi who is a stranger)
3. Our actions are driven by instant gratification and is guided by risk/reward ratio

Any Indian behavior that you experience all through the day and keep complaining about - be it dumping garbage in front of your house, or jumping red signal, or taking/offering bribe - all these can be explained by one of the above three traits.

Take this test for yourself :

Say you are approaching a junction where left-turn is free. It is expected (but not enforced) that people keep the left-most lane free for traffic that want to take the left turn so that these cars don't have to unnecessarily wait in the junction. Now as you approach the junction, you notice that there is a huge pile up of vehicles on right-most and middle lanes waiting on the signal to turn green but the left-most lane is empty. As you move closer to the traffic tail, you notice that two cars took advantage of the free left lane and went straight to the front of the lane and stopped there blocking the free left turn completely. The third car going there doesn't have to take the blame of blocking as the lane is now already blocked. Question for you is - what would you do ? Follow the smart chaps or stay in the queue of the fools given that you have both options equally open ?
Old 9th February 2010, 23:29   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
A typical Indian is characterized by three unique behavioral traits.

1. We prefer convenience to excellence
2. We have absolutely zero respect for a fellow Indian (aam aadmi who is a stranger)
3. Our actions are driven by instant gratification and is guided by risk/reward ratio

Any Indian behavior that you experience all through the day and keep complaining about - be it dumping garbage in front of your house, or jumping red signal, or taking/offering bribe - all these can be explained by one of the above three traits.

Take this test for yourself :

Say you are approaching a junction where left-turn is free. It is expected (but not enforced) that people keep the left-most lane free for traffic that want to take the left turn so that these cars don't have to unnecessarily wait in the junction. Now as you approach the junction, you notice that there is a huge pile up of vehicles on right-most and middle lanes waiting on the signal to turn green but the left-most lane is empty. As you move closer to the traffic tail, you notice that two cars took advantage of the free left lane and went straight to the front of the lane and stopped there blocking the free left turn completely. The third car going there doesn't have to take the blame of blocking as the lane is now already blocked. Question for you is - what would you do ? Follow the smart chaps or stay in the queue of the fools given that you have both options equally open ?
Well said-and I definitely see what you mean.

my 2 cents to add

If you go by the books :

You lug behind an ancient Sand truck doing a 35 on a rightmost lane.

For you risk= running late unnecessarily
For you reward=Good boy ! Followed the rules.

If you go with the smart chaps:

For you risk= Bad boy ! didn't follow the rules.
For you reward= you gain precious few seconds ignoring the inconvenience caused to others

In both the cases above the traffic police completely ignores you or the offender whatever be the case and you are left with two choices each with equal weights of merits and de-merits.

No hilarity there !
Old 10th February 2010, 09:37   #1222
Senior - BHPian

After all my rants here I feel 11 PM and beyond are excellent times to have a peaceful drive.
Old 10th February 2010, 09:57   #1223
BHPian

I agree. But you have to really careful during those times. The call center cabbies don't give a damn about any other motorist on the road. They literally fly by in every junction. I've had a very bad experience while riding.
A cabbie entered the main road without even looking around, He rammed me from the side, I fell and went rolling. The cab guy didn't even bother to stop and look if I was alive or dead.
Thankfully I lifted my leg when he rammed, if not I would have lost my leg for sure.
Nothing happened to me as I was well packed wearing my leather jacket, gloves and helmet. The bike's chassis was bent.

From then on, if I know i get late I take the car.
Old 10th February 2010, 11:49   #1224
Senior - BHPian

Thats sad man. This is what it has become. No value for other's life. Similar to Jungle raj. Survival of the fittest. Human values fast degrading. Extreme Godlessness and hunger for money has taken its toll on basic morality. Not only in cities but also in and near villages. Sigh!
Old 10th February 2010, 23:13   #1225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post
I agree. But you have to really careful during those times. The call center cabbies don't give a damn about any other motorist on the road. They literally fly by in every junction. I've had a very bad experience while riding.
A cabbie entered the main road without even looking around, He rammed me from the side, I fell and went rolling. The cab guy didn't even bother to stop and look if I was alive or dead.
Thankfully I lifted my leg when he rammed, if not I would have lost my leg for sure.
Nothing happened to me as I was well packed wearing my leather jacket, gloves and helmet. The bike's chassis was bent.

From then on, if I know i get late I take the car.
Lucky you! I hope at some point two careless cabbies end up T-boning each other, and getting to know what goes around comes around.
Now I know why I saw this elderly person driving his Honda City,honking like there's no tomorrow when he entered an intersection close to the Hennur main rd. I was right behind him, and just couldn't understand why he was honking like that at 12.30am,when there was hardly anyone on the streets.
Old 11th February 2010, 08:33   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Same thing almost happened in front of me @BTM. I was following a rick. In one of the lanes at an intersection the rick guy did not slow down. And from the other intersecting lane came a furiously driven rick who did not slow either. Both missed a T-bone by a whisker. I too had my heart beat pumping above the regular rate.
What happened after that is very amusing. Both breaked hard and hurled abuses at each other for not slowing down. Come on, how stupid can you get.

People are prepared to take risks that involve their welfare. Who's to stop them ?
Jo khud ka bhala nahin samajhta woh doosro kya kya bhala karega ?
(The one who doesn't understand his own benefit how can he benefit others ?)
Old 11th February 2010, 10:44   #1227
BHPian

I've changed my office timings now.
Going by 8 Am and returning by 5PM.

Not much traffic, life is kewl now.
Old 11th February 2010, 12:32   #1228
BHPian

That's good! Sadly, I get held up during any releases and usually leave at wee hours of the day. Sometimes I meet my milk man on the way back home
Old 11th February 2010, 12:45   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Witnessed a funny incident yesterday. A cabbie was waiting at the red light on the OMR (on the road parallel to the Big Bazaar), inching his way forward but not really sure if he wanted to jump the light or not. After a while he is almost blocking one lane on the road, as usual. Then the light turned green for him, but this time the other guys were not in the mood to pay heed to the red light, so they keep on going. The taste of his medicine really gets to him and he stops his car in front of a truck thats jumping the red light, cursing and abusing him while pointing to the red light.
Ah, well you reap what you sow huh ?
Old 11th February 2010, 12:49   #1230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Ah, well you reap what you sow huh ?
If only he had the common sense to interpret that! He would never have realized this was exactly what he was doing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks