Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 09:11   #11611
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Made me feel very strongly that if public (we) took up shared transport to a substantial level, we'd ALL have the same experience.

Private entities like UBER & Ola will probably be more than happy to participate
But the government here is adamant on bankrupting or driving away private entrepreneurs investing in public transport. Uber and Ola now, Zipgo earlier...
Old 3rd June 2016, 09:31   #11612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
But the government here is adamant on bankrupting or driving away private entrepreneurs investing in public transport. Uber and Ola now, Zipgo earlier...
I guess the delay in introducing Metro in IT corridors like Whitefield, Electronic City, Koramangala is due to lobby by State govt to run more Volvo buses. No wonder one does not get to see Non Volvo buses plying between Silk board and ITPL in peak hours.
Old 3rd June 2016, 09:46   #11613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
After few weeks of this, it was business as usual. These buses were back on this stretch abusing the No Entry rule and merrily reaching their destination earning brownie points from the sleeping staff for having made them reach their office 5 minutes earlier through a short cut.
Appreciate your efforts. I feel the onus should be on the occupants of these buses, however assuming Siemens is transporting qualified technicians or SW engineers in these buses and not illiterates. It’s amusing to see the employees keeping quite when such rules are broken. In our office it’s a strict NO for traffic violation be it day or night, and any breach would have its own serious outcome, even leading to stopping the driver.
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 09:56   #11614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Appreciate your efforts. I feel the onus should be on the occupants of these buses, however assuming Siemens is transporting qualified technicians or SW engineers in these buses and not illiterates. It’s amusing to see the employees keeping quite when such rules are broken. In our office it’s a strict NO for traffic violation be it day or night, and any breach would have its own serious outcome, even leading to stopping the driver.
We have been voicing this out (the bold) right here on this thread and the accidents thread too.

In fact, let me refer you to the post where I first captured these and I echoed the same thoughts that the employees are mostly ignorant, unaware or to be more precise, Ignorant and oblivious of this every time their driver does this:

Quote:
Bengaluru Traffic Police !

You made sure to stop 2 Buses filled with Sleeping employees belonging to an IT Company in Electronics City for entering a road that is barred for LCVs and HCVs ever since the road from Madiwala Check-post to Madiwala Police Station was made one way.
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:08   #11615
BHPian

Quote:
We have been voicing this out (the bold) right here on this thread and the accidents thread too.

In fact, let me refer you to the post where I first captured these and I echoed the same thoughts that the employees are mostly ignorant, unaware or to be more precise, Ignorant and oblivious of this every time their driver does this:
I had got side-swiped by a Siemens bus at Hosa Road junction on my i10, 3 years back. This happened on the service road where there was a ban on heavy vehicles on the service road and the driver came from my LHS and swiped over to join the main road. I was going straight. The excuse the driver said was that it was dark and he did not see my car waiting for the signal on his right!

Don't expect any disciplinary action against the driver from the company. When I reached over to the transport desk, they were graceful enough only to share the cost of repair, if I chose a repair shop they suggested. I didn't go that route and repaired the dents and scratches, paying from my pocket.

I would suggest you go ahead with raising the complaint with BTP. Things like this shows that the Siemens themselves are not bothered about road safety, and nothing has changed in 3 years, at least from my experience.

Edit: The passengers in the bus in my case, were indifferent, and were more concerned about the delay in their schedule, as I didn't let the bus go till I spoke with a Siemens transport desk official.

Last edited by Horizon81 : 3rd June 2016 at 10:11. Reason: Added detail
Horizon81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:16   #11616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
More nostalgia...
1. In the early 2000s Marathahalli suddenly gained prominence after lots of textile outlets came up with their "seconds" (discarded clothes due to quality issues) outlets in the area. Or else nobody really bothered to go there.
A lack of malls made this place very famous due to the fact that clothes were cheaper here as these were "company showrooms". People used to flock on weekends (especially the then new "IT" engineers , buy tons of clothes , go and party in one of the "dhabas" up ahead on the road to Whitefield and then head back to the city outskirts like Ulsoor which were popular places of residence of such very eligible IT employed bachelors of that time.

Quote:
The inner ring road in early 2000s were also not
widely used, and riding alone in the night was again risky.
Oh yes , I do remember multiple times when cops prowling the area shooed away many of my friends who used to haunt the area in the evenings with their girlfriends. This was a lover's adda of sorts.

Quote:
Excess water from Bellandur lake, flowed down to Varthur lake and a small stream takes the water all the way to TN.
I remember having read that Bangalore and its lovely weather was on account of multiple lakes connected by canals. The "Raja Kalwe" being a part of this network , now long lost. Also when I had visited Bangalore a couple fo times in my childhood and was lucky enough to have come by flight one could see Bellandur lake was a huge body of water set in idyllic surroundings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokgunhal View Post
Not a rant really but an update. My office is at Prestige Tech Park and for a long time we have been using Old Airport Road - Yemlur - PTP route to get to office although the road is non-existent between Yemlur - PTP. On any given day it takes about 35 - 40 minutes to reach office from Kaggadasapura.
Sir you are indeed a brave soul to risk the health of your car. This road is dreaded even in dry conditions. I have paid a price of a broken bumper post rains when I dared to pass this way. Two days after the rains had subsided and the muck had dried into dry mud , there lay many broken bumpers and plastic pieces from carefree cabbies. Also amongst them was a full bus stuck deep in the mud.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2016 at 16:48. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:23   #11617
BHPian

Quote:
I echoed the same thoughts that the employees are mostly ignorant, unaware or to be more precise, Ignorant and oblivious of this every time their driver does this:
Do you "really" think these employees are Ignorant and oblivious.....hummm that is a serious NO. This is the Indian psychology phenomenon "I did not break the rule". Then who did? the Driver!
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:26   #11618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Sir you are indeed a brave soul to risk the health of your car. This road is dreaded even in dry conditions. I have paid a price of a broken bumper post rains when I dared to pass this way. Two days after the rains had subsided and the muck had dried into dry mud , there lay many broken bumpers and plastic pieces from carefree cabbies. Also amongst them was a full bus stuck deep in the mud.
Well our office was first located at MG Road and since the Metro had opened we made full use of it back then.

Since we moved to PTP in 2011 I have tried various routes:

1. Kaggadaspura - Mahadevpura - Total Mall - Marathalli - PTP.
2. Kaggadaspura - Doddanekkundi - ORR - Marathalli - PTP.
3. Kaggadaspura - Tulsi Theater road - PTP (this was the best until they made the service road one way in front of PTP.
4. We then found this route to be the best worst route to office of all due to the fact that it took 45 minutes. Since then I have been using this route.

In the last 2 years the traffic on ORR has considerably increased due to which routes 1 and 2 were out of question.

When the road is not slushy and dry the traffic is high on this route with low GC vehicles also taking this route. heck I have seen a Beemer and Audi also on this route.

That said it's a gamble sometimes like today, the road was completely slushy and we could see a truck and a Innova stuck. All the cars took the (including I) took the Bellandur route to reach ORR and it added 45 minutes to the commute time. The worst feeling is as we enter the route I can see the office but can't get there due to the state of the road.

Going by the predictions that the Monsoon will be heavier this season looks like I need to plan better in terms of the commute to and from office.
Old 3rd June 2016, 15:59   #11619
BHPian

Today i saw a mini-truck (eicher E2) loaded with cylinders (not LPG - but other leaner ones that carry oxygen for hospitals and other chemicals/gases for factories) on Nice road approaching hosur road from Bannerghatta road at good speed. Then noticed one (or may be more) or cylinder leaking with white fumes coming out. It was dangerous if it were to explode or just rocket towards rear of truck to run into cars headed in the same direction). I was close to truck by the time i realized and hence stepped on gas to caution the driver. Honking got his attention and he was quick enough to signal me to move on as he seemed to know the issue on his back. But he did not stop. i moved, cleared toll gate and informed police constable further up (near ramp that goes to whitefeather). He noted and was prepared to stop the truck and i moved on. Not sure what happened later. scary indeed if that cyclinder was to blast or skyrocket rearwards.
G-BoleroBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 17:03   #11620
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic under the Bommasandra Flyover was a mess earlier.
People used to come from every possible direction and go to every possible direction.

To avoid that, since a week now, they are constructing medians. Which is a good move IMO because people need to be restricted in order to follow lane.

Also when approaching the flyover from Hebbagodi side, the left lane of the service road is very small and the shoulder is in a very bad condition.

This has led to more confusion, and more jams. I would assume it would takes two weeks for this to settle down.

But even then there are many morons out there who can't see the median and drive happily on the wrong side of the median and create huge jams

And now almost everyone are blaming the divider for the jams.
While the actual reason for those dividers are the drivers themselves who used to created huge jams earlier
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 17:33   #11621
JD1
BHPian

Remember that fuel tanker/depot workers strike couple of months back? Well, another one is coming up on Monday. Hopefully negotiations might happen before that, but do keep on eye and fuel your vehicle over weekend to be on safe side.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-strike.jpg  

Old 3rd June 2016, 21:46   #11622
BHPian

If only kids accompanying parents do this more so often in Bengaluru...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...4RO/story.html
AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2016, 07:58   #11623
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Traveled early morning towards Koramangala (> 2 months since I last went that side). The inner ring road has got a fresh asphalt topping, the sidewalk edges have been painted white and there is a new traffic camera at the Ejipura junction.
Doesn't seem to be operational yet, but hopefully it will bring the number of signal jumping violations down. This is at the junction after Sony World signal when coming from Koramangala side towards Indiranagar.

Early morning and picture taken with mobile, excuse the bad quality.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-traffic-cam.jpg
Old 5th June 2016, 08:59   #11624
Distinguished - BHPian

They are fixing these gates across many major junctions with dual cameras angling downwards. I hope they are Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) enabled too which will help in traffic policing and tracking vehicles.
Old 5th June 2016, 21:35   #11625
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for being rude, but if that is the case all I can say is . The "wheelie" menace is now spreading to various parts of the city (and even the Bangalore Urban Dt). Earlier this was restricted to the Inner Ring Road, and the police went against them as one of the wheelie jokers tried to have fun with the Army sentries and got shot (and died). Then it moved onto NICE Road etc.

Last week I was coming from the City RS at around 0430Hrs, and the wheelie gang was there on Hosur Road as well. The taxi driver with pride said that they were all "hamare log" (our people). If these youngsters can do this at 0430Hrs in the morning, I guess there is no concept of "parental control" in their families. Their own parents seems NOT to be bothered about what their sons do in the middle of the night or where they go in the morning.
Hi,

I have seen these wheelie folks doing their stuff between Bosch building and Garvebhavipalya, they would be on an activa, which will never have a number plate, god forbid, if they fall, the poor guy driving behind them will be in trouble. They are localites, and when your can driver said " hamare log" with pride, I am sure, we both saw the same set of guys!

I have seen them do this at 8:30 AM and also at 5:30 PM, the police does not say anything to them, not even for not wearing a helmet, forget a wheelie.

Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks