Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 16:09   #1126
BHPian

IMO the Three Wheelers(read autos) deserve a different flavor of their own. They alongwith company cabs have the worst discipline on the road.

I also think that people who use these services also tend to pick up these bad road manners. And thats how Bangalore has gotten to this mess. We need a major cleanup and soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post
Read through last couple of pages again. Hope pervez's friend is better now. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Going to a different track, I will try to share my experience in this city for last 3-4 years.

Drivers on Indian roads come in different flavors. The list goes like so.

7. Commercial Vehicles -- Commercial vehicle drivers in the city are the most notorious of Indian drivers. Indica/Qualis/Sumo cabs, Autos, Water tankers, all of them are always very aggressive. They always break law and they definitely always try to make others break law. If you want to avoid anyone, avoid these guys. Let them go first without thinking twice.

Last edited by Liverpool_Red : 18th November 2009 at 16:11.
Old 18th November 2009, 17:28   #1127
BHPian

What a day!

Today I sighted two Sachin signature series Lemon Yellow Palio's between Marathahalli and KR Puram bridge. A rare sight indeed!

I was feeling lucky to have seen such an once-in-a-while occurance but it did not last long. Running low on the petrol, I had to stop at the Bharat Petrol Bunk near Nagavara junction. There my luck ran out. I was royally cheated for 100 bucks. It's the same old classic story - you ask for Rs400 worth of Petrol, he first fills-in Rs100, you ask why, he apologizes, he goes to reach the number pad on the fuel dispenser, he dirverts your attention, pretends to have reset the counter to zero, he does not reset, it stays at 100 only, before you realize, continues to fill-in the petrol and stops at 300!. I realized after a while, when the fuel gauge did not show "Full".

I've heard this 1000 times. I try to everytime ensure "zero" and ask him to feed the number, instead of starting at 0 and stopping at some unrealistic .23 paise kind of number - but you know, there are times like these

Will be careful next time showing the required number in all possible communication modes, different languages, signs to the extent practical!

Was it a bad omen to see two-lemon-yellow-palios on the same day, not too far from each other? I certainly don't think so - I love Fiat cars.

Drive Safe, Have Fun
-KK
Old 21st November 2009, 22:21   #1128
BHPian

Drag Race Bullies

I just cannot believe what happened to me today. Was returning from a relative's house from Ulsoor to my residence at Church Street. I was on my Suzuki Samurai, and was trying to reach home quick. Any heavier guys (like me) who have Samurais would know how well a Samurai can take corners if ridden by heavier (around 90 kilo) guys. So I was riding kinda fast (but taking no chances, being very safe). I was slowing down for the lights, and Pulsar 180 with 2 guys astride starts chasing me, and coming real close. They almost side-swiped me at one point, so I scooted, and squeezed my way between the traffic waiting at the lights, and found a safe spot. The Pulsar got stuck behind other vehicles, but I could hear him revving, as if challenging me to a drag. I ride well, but am not a drag racer, and will never indulge in road racing. I took off towards Brigade Road, hiding beside an autorickshaw as cover, so they wouldn't see me. Reached the MG Road/Brigade Road junction, and I thought I had escaped. Boy, was I wrong! The lights changed, and I took off towards Brigade Road. This time 2 or 3 bikes came chasing behind me. The guys were hooting and shouting, and coming real close to me from behind, like as if to ram the bike. I took the right into Church Street, using other vehicles as cover. The bikes were hardly 8 feet behind. I saw space between the car in front and the footpath, and just took off. They got stuck behind this car, and in the meantime, I managed to get into the gate of my apartments. I'm safe, but shaken...these fools bullied me and put my life in danger just because I refused to drag with them? I'm pretty sure they were not trying to rob me, not in such a crowded area!
I never thought this would happen in B'lore...has anybody had such a horrible experience?
Old 21st November 2009, 23:30   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
I just cannot believe what happened to me today. Was returning from a relative's house from Ulsoor to my residence at Church Street. I was on my Suzuki Samurai, and was trying to reach home quick. Any heavier guys (like me) who have Samurais would know how well a Samurai can take corners if ridden by heavier (around 90 kilo) guys. So I was riding kinda fast (but taking no chances, being very safe). I was slowing down for the lights, and Pulsar 180 with 2 guys astride starts chasing me, and coming real close. They almost side-swiped me at one point, so I scooted, and squeezed my way between the traffic waiting at the lights, and found a safe spot. The Pulsar got stuck behind other vehicles, but I could hear him revving, as if challenging me to a drag. I ride well, but am not a drag racer, and will never indulge in road racing. I took off towards Brigade Road, hiding beside an autorickshaw as cover, so they wouldn't see me. Reached the MG Road/Brigade Road junction, and I thought I had escaped. Boy, was I wrong! The lights changed, and I took off towards Brigade Road. This time 2 or 3 bikes came chasing behind me. The guys were hooting and shouting, and coming real close to me from behind, like as if to ram the bike. I took the right into Church Street, using other vehicles as cover. The bikes were hardly 8 feet behind. I saw space between the car in front and the footpath, and just took off. They got stuck behind this car, and in the meantime, I managed to get into the gate of my apartments. I'm safe, but shaken...these fools bullied me and put my life in danger just because I refused to drag with them? I'm pretty sure they were not trying to rob me, not in such a crowded area!
I never thought this would happen in B'lore...has anybody had such a horrible experience?
Good to know that you are safe ... Never heard of such incidence in Banagalore before !!!!!!!
Old 21st November 2009, 23:58   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
I just cannot believe what happened to me today...
Good to know that you are safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
... Never heard of such incidence in Banagalore before !!!!!!!
There are many incidents that are present like this which are often un-reported. Don't even dream that Bangalore is a safe place.
Old 22nd November 2009, 12:31   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Good to know that you are safe!
There are many incidents that are present like this which are often un-reported. Don't even dream that Bangalore is a safe place.
Thanks guys! I owe it to my quick, cool-headed approach and the "No Problem" Samurai...damn, I love that bike even more now! When I recounted my experience to my dad, he said "Then you should avoid riding after 9 pm". But my right as a citizen is to be safe on the roads at any time. I will not let this bad experience affect me. A month ago, an idiot on a Pulsar 220 was ripping down MG Road, squeezing between other two-wheelers. Guess what? He came so close to me that our shoulders brushed! I was doing 50, he was doing 80+. He seemed to be a highly skilled rider. The Pulsar is getting a bad name because of these urban "heroes". I am inclined to believe that areas in and around Ulsoor and Shivajinagar are frequented by illegal road racers, and would advice two-wheeler riders to be alert when operating in these areas after 9 pm, specially on weekends. Good news is, B'lore police are showing zero-tolerance to road racers. Maybe 3 days ago, newspaper report says that 3 teens were arrested for road racing...their licenses (if they have!) should be revoked permanently, and their bikes should be seized, never to be returned. Sounds Draconian, I know, but extreme behaviour demands extreme responses!
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:14   #1132
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Last evening, I was on my way to Kodigehalli via the ORR just next to Big bazaar. Members in and around this area know that this is a pretty busy road and quite narrow. But narrow enough for cars to pass 2 way.

3 morons on a Suzuki Max 100 were zooming and I could clearly see that they were looking for trouble. There was a steep curve towards right and I held my lane so that those morons could pass by through the space left. These fellas were at such a speed, they noticed my palio late and could just manage to avoid a side collision. The rider just managed to swerve in time but couldn't help hitting my right ORVM. Due to the impact the mirror shattered and pieces of glass entered the cabin (I hadn't closed the window). I stopped the car hoping to catch the buggers but they just ran off. An autodriver just behind me told to forget it and leave way to the traffic which was piled up right behind me.

It was scary at that instant but if I look back there was minimal damage and was just glad that a collision was avoided.

Sigh! Whenever these morons learn to ride!
Old 23rd November 2009, 15:41   #1133
BHPian

New BEL Road

For my daily commute, I have to travel through New BEL Road both ways.

For some stretches of this road, there are those concrete dividers and all vehicles stick to their lanes. But in the stretches where there are no dividers, almost every vehicle is there to overtake every other vehicle before the next point from where the dividers appear again.

Majority of the vehicles trying to overtake are BMTC Buses, taxis, auto's and 2 wheelers with a few occasional cars.

The worst part is during the evenings the cars/trucks overtaking like this, are always on high beam and inspite of they being in the wrong lane flash they lights which blinds drivers/riders coming in the opposite direction.
Yesterday evening, a girl in her scooty pep was almost hit by a speeding cab (Innova). Nothing happened to her as she saw the speeding cab and turned a bit to her left to a gate which leads to some housing colonies.

This makes it very difficult for the vehicles coming opposite in the their lane.
Are people always in so much hurry that they can't wait for hardly 20/30 secs before they reach the next stretch where there are dividers?
Old 23rd November 2009, 18:38   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Sigh! Whenever these morons learn to ride!
NEVER! Only a very few will learn on their own. In order for the road users to behave themselves and adhere to traffic rules, at least, the following should happen:

1. ONLY licensed drivers should drive / ride on any motorable roads.
2. Before being issued licenses the applicants should be thoroughly tested for their knowledge of road signs, rules and driving / riding ability AND ABOVE ALL
3. The rules of the traffic laws and point #1 should be strictly enforced and errant drivers should be penalized deterrently.

Driving would then be a pleasure.

Now, tell me will any of the above happen in India anytime in the near future? Till then we can only rant (which is what I'm doing too).
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:03   #1135
Senior - BHPian

One thing I have observed is these riders on bike become aggressive if a female rider is around. These include men in middle age too. Female riders act as NOS to these guys. Right from tail gating to a dangerously close distance to cutting into your lane as soon as they over take is pretty common.
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:36   #1136
Senior - BHPian

one thing i noticed is people don't understand the concept of the yellow line.
they should be heavily penalized for this offense then they will learn.
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:39   #1137
Senior - BHPian

Some nut case riding on the footpath collided with another bike taking a legit turn into the office premises. The culprit man handled the guards and boss incharge.
Talk about 'seena jori'. Oh yes, the guy was s/w engg with a reputed company badge hanging from his belt.
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:55   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
NEVER! Only a very few will learn on their own. In order for the road users to behave themselves and adhere to traffic rules, at least, the following should happen:

1. ONLY licensed drivers should drive / ride on any motorable roads.
2. Before being issued licenses the applicants should be thoroughly tested for their knowledge of road signs, rules and driving / riding ability AND ABOVE ALL
3. The rules of the traffic laws and point #1 should be strictly enforced and errant drivers should be penalized deterrently.

Driving would then be a pleasure.

Now, tell me will any of the above happen in India anytime in the near future? Till then we can only rant (which is what I'm doing too).
Totally agree with you. However this will not address the issues we have.
For e.g. Only Licensed Drivers should drive, I hate to say this but the truth is I got my License without having to make a single trip to the RTO office (My Friend's dad happened to be an RTO). There will be lot of folks who will come up and say I am not eligible to speak and blah blah.. But during that time all I was bothered was getting a License.
I am not well educated to understand all the signs on road and I drive safe.

The Solution is to have the people educated, enforce law strictly, put in hefty fines, enforce the law of canceling the License if found violating 3 times. More than this is the sense of driving which cannot be thought, but adopted by seeing the miniature ANTS.
Old 23rd November 2009, 22:10   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Totally agree with you. However this will not address the issues we have.
For e.g. Only Licensed Drivers should drive, I hate to say this but the truth is I got my License without having to make a single trip to the RTO office (My Friend's dad happened to be an RTO).
- My 2nd point addresses that!
Old 24th November 2009, 09:22   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
One thing I have observed is these riders on bike become aggressive if a female rider is around. These include men in middle age too. Female riders act as NOS to these guys. Right from tail gating to a dangerously close distance to cutting into your lane as soon as they over take is pretty common.
+1
Fully agree with what you are saying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks