Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2016, 09:12   #11146
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
What the hell do these cab drivers talk on the phone? I mean, just every other cabbie on the road will have the phone in his hand. Whom do they talk to? Has anyone heard what they talk for so long? Do they get free talktime or something so that they can maintain a live broadcast of the traffic?

Though I give them a tough time on the road, I am very curious to know what on earth will they have to speak for so long that too after driving for the whole day. I for one dont even feel like speaking to someone for sometime after reaching home
For instance my office cab driver, talks over the phone to get the latest updates on where traffic jam is more, which route to take, how many people are in the Tavera (call from the transport co ordinator) so on and so forth. But I have not seen him talk unnecessary over the phone for a long time.
Old 31st March 2016, 10:06   #11147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What the hell do these cab drivers talk on the phone?
Don't get me wrong, but these guys have a really hard life. I am not for holding up the phone and talking while driving. It is wrong.

I guess, one of the reasons why these chaps are always on the phone is cause they come from far and wide. None of these chaps are local residents of the city. They come from far away places and in most cases, have left their families behind to earn a little more money so that they can support them back home. They deal with higher stress levels than us. I can't possibly imagine driving 12-15 hours a day in traffic. I'll probably end up in a hospital within days. Some of these chaps sleep in the car cause they have little time to head back to their residences. There is little else for them to do other than driving. There is no time to stay in touch with their families or friends. That is how the phone almost always ends up being stuck to the ear lobes while they are driving. It is dangerous as these chaps tend to loose focus on the primary task, that is driving.

It will be great if the traffic police can conduct sessions to guide these chaps. After all, they were not exposed to the same levels of education or upbringing we have had. To them, talking on the phone isn't dangerous.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 10:48   #11148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
They come from far away places and in most cases, have left their families behind to earn a little more money so that they can support them back home. Some of these chaps sleep in the car cause they have little time to head back to their residences. There is little else for them to do other than driving. There is no time to stay in touch with their families or friends. That is how the phone almost always ends up being stuck to the ear lobes while they are driving. It is dangerous as these chaps tend to loose focus on the primary task, that is driving.

It will be great if the traffic police can conduct sessions to guide these chaps. After all, they were not exposed to the same levels of education or upbringing we have had. To them, talking on the phone isn't dangerous.
I can understand the background. However, two points that I wont compromise upon:

1. Regarding time they get: Though they lead a busy life, that doesnt mean they cannot make some time for a call to near and dear ones. In my company itself, the cab drivers come inside campus more than an hour before they have to start drop off. They roam around in a relaxed manner, have tea and do some chitter chatter. Why not call at these times? They pick up phone only after they are on the roads. That is not acceptable.

2. Regarding usage of mobile phones: I am sure that most of the people here including me use the handsfree function if we get a call during driving. That gives you two hands for the controls instead of one. Taking a call is a different thing, but how you take it also matters. Every day I will find at least one driver in the middle of a road, lugging his vehicle since he cant downshift due to the phone or simply because he isnt bothered about having a huge traffic backlog behind him. This is the irritating thing. You speak on the phone, and the law is there to take care of it. But doesnt sound good to hamper others' movement on the road.

This is the reason I am highly annoyed by the cab drivers using phones. They dont even care to look left or right while on the phone.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 11:23   #11149
Senior - BHPian

There must be a way for this technology. Govt should promote this technology development.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-fb_img_1459403188761.jpg
Source: FB & Twitter.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 14:19   #11150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What the hell do these cab drivers talk on the phone?
You should listen to it sometime. It is quite exciting stuff. I have heard:

- wives complaining children are not behaving/not studying/fighting with other kids/please discipline them, it is all your genes!
- customers calling up to ask where are you/when will you arrive/did you get my booking?
- friends asking are we on for Friday's party/Saturday's match/...
- moonlighting opportunities - are you free to drive us to Tirupati/Vellore/Mysore/...

Listened across a wide variety of cab types: Meru (multiple cities), Uber (multiple cities), Fastrack (Chennai), black cab (Mumbai), "tourist taxi" (Kerala), Savaari (Bangalore/Mangalore) and perhaps some others.

Quote:
2. Regarding usage of mobile phones: I am sure that most of the people here including me use the handsfree function if we get a call during driving.
Personally speaking, I don't and I find the practice as reprehensible and dangerous as calling without one.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 14:52   #11151
BHPian

I have observed many cab drivers discussing second hand vehicles available for sale, car parts for sale, site for sale, house for sale, house for rent, weekend outstation trips etc.

This is like doing part-time commission job on-the-go (read: on duty).
Old 31st March 2016, 17:53   #11152
BHPian

Bmtc volvo breakdown outside ecospace towards silkboard. Taffic jam starting
kiran_cr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 07:46   #11153
BHPian

There is a Hyundai truck broken down under the Agara flyover. All the vehicles coming from Koramangala and Agara are forced to take the service road on the left side of the flyover. Traffic was already built up when I crossed the place at 7.10 am.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 17:15   #11154
BHPian

I am going to to the Byappanahalli Metro station from my home in Hoodi. The U-turn coming from Tin factory is closed. How do I now get to the station ?
Old 2nd April 2016, 21:56   #11155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
I am going to to the Byappanahalli Metro station from my home in Hoodi. The U-turn coming from Tin factory is closed. How do I now get to the station ?
Some options:

1. Turn left after the railway underpass/before Gopalan Mall, go through CV Raman Nagar, join Suranjan Das Road and turn right onto Old Madras Road.

2. Go beyond the metro station, turn into Suranjan Das Road, take a U-turn near the junction into CV Raman Nagar and re-join Old Madras Road.

3. Take the ORR towards Hebbal but get off it once the railway lines are crossed, turn into Kasturi Nagar from the service road, reach Old Madras Road via NGEF, turn left towards the metro station.

Which is the best? Regulars can answer.
Old 2nd April 2016, 23:34   #11156
BHPian

Closing off that u-turn was plain stupid!!! I would prefer driving ahead than doing the circus. I feel option 3 is the best.
Old 3rd April 2016, 09:51   #11157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
Closing off that u-turn was plain stupid!!! I would prefer driving ahead than doing the circus. I feel option 3 is the best.
I think that was a good thing they did. In order to go to the station, just go a little ahead to Swami Vivekananda Road station signal where the U turn is allowed. Else suranjan das road will be the best choice.
Old 3rd April 2016, 10:12   #11158
BHPian

I don't think U-turn is allowed at that signal. When that signal turns green, the oncoming traffic is also moving
Old 3rd April 2016, 22:07   #11159
Distinguished - BHPian

Had been to HSR layout in the evening. While going to restaurant on 14th main (Next to Subway/MacD junction). Instead of parking on the main road thought will park in any cross road since it will be less crowded.

However, when trying to enter to 19th Cross was blocked by this security claiming it's a VIP area. On checking who declared this road as No Entry, his answer was ACP, since the area has VVIP (One V increased by now) in the locality.

I can understand how irritating it is when people block the gates by parking in front of houses. However, blocking public road and making it like a gated community is bit uncalled for. If the so called VVIP was so much concerned about the parking situation, let him get the shopping centres clear the basement which was supposed to be parking lots and are now converted to shops.

Reported the same on BTP FB page, lets see their response.

Link

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-12928215_10153447198636969_3179112066901071893_n.jpg

Last edited by mpksuhas : 3rd April 2016 at 22:09.
mpksuhas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 10:05   #11160
Senior - BHPian

Is there any temporary traffic arrangement/changes being done in the Madivala Market, Silk board side today? Also looks like there is a broken down bus near tin factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas
However, when trying to enter to 19th Cross was blocked by this security claiming it's a VIP area. On checking who declared this road as No Entry, his answer was ACP, since the area has VVIP (One V increased by now) in the locality.
There were a couple of senior politicians (from Central Govt.) & bureaucrats who were in the city during the last couple of days. The temporary restriction could be because of this. The traffic police does have some right to bring in temporary traffic changes & restrictions (permanent directions have to come from the elected civic body). They may not have announced this earlier because that may leak the VIP travel & stay plans as well. Any ways let us wait for the official response .

Last edited by sachinpk : 4th April 2016 at 10:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks