Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2015, 19:19   #9781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
The app can be on our phones and it can map/plot speed and hence give a live view of the traffic situation. Map provider like google maps can take advantage of it as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Well, that's exactly what Google Traffic does when it colours routes as red/yellow/green based on traffic density.
It has become so good that I don't step out of my home without checking the traffic condition on my route. It is invaluable in Bangalore.

And you can contribute too, by using Waze (another Google-owned navigation tool) - which allows you to report traffic jams, police check points, accidents and road closures etc. Elsewhere in the world, Waze is considered superior to Google Maps in predicting road conditions and ETAs, though in India I don't see many Wazers on the road.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 23:11   #9782
BHPian

Yesterday saw 2 read-ending incidents in a span of 15 minutes both on Old Airport road. There is a small U-turn just before ramp to Indiranagar. I was taking a u-turn and the vehicle behind me was rear-ended. Don't think there was much damage. Another incident, a taxi was hit from behind. The taxi driver was yelling in broken hindi at the other driver. This incident seemed a little strange. There was another car also involved. I was wondering if one car rear-ended two cars?
In both cases, the drivers obstructed free movement of traffic by stopping in the middle/right lane and discussing. Hopefully the police did come later to clear it up.
Old 9th November 2015, 09:41   #9783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
And you can contribute too, by using Waze (another Google-owned navigation tool) - which allows you to report traffic jams, police check points, accidents and road closures etc.
I have been using Waze for a while, and they believe in the concept of "crowd sourcing" (the crowd of users also provide the information). But generally I found the updates etc. to be too slow. So what I do now is to scan the Google Maps (on the phone) and see the red, orange and green colour code to get an approximate idea of the route ahead.

Quote:
Elsewhere in the world, Waze is considered superior to Google Maps in predicting road conditions and ETAs, though in India I don't see many Wazers on the road.
One thing I noticed is that, providing an update on Waze (etc. report sighting of a police patrol, or traffic jam) takes around 1-2 minutes. I use an AirTel connection on a Windows phone. And in very many cases, I would be driving and really cannot bother to wait for 1-2 mins on the road to provide an update on the Waze. Perhaps this may be the same reason with others as well.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 14:37   #9784
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like droplets of water have decided to attack the city yet again bringing cold winds in tow. I hope the usual gridlocks and pitch-black dark roads due to power-cuts do not follow in the evening. For a non-coastal city, this place sure beats most others in terms of rainfall.

Rohanak1 - Old Airport Road should be avoided whenever possible, every possible law of the road is broken there, be it driving very slow, driving very fast, absolutely no lane discipline, going to the extreme left to take a right-U-turn, interpreting amber lights in signals each in their own way etc. In short yet another usual day in Bangalore.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 14:42   #9785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Looks like droplets of water have decided to attack the city yet again bringing cold winds in tow. I hope the usual gridlocks and pitch-black dark roads due to power-cuts do not follow in the evening. For a non-coastal city, this place sure beats most others in terms of rainfall.
Hopefully the vehicular traffic is less as many would have left to their respective home towns on Saturday/Sunday. Anyways better to keep our fingers crossed.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 15:04   #9786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
It is a full on cyclone weather we are experiencing and will continue for few days. Cyclone is named Roanu, after one of the scientists wife or girlfriend

Tamil Nadu is bearing the worst of the cyclone since it has centered there.
Funny thing being until last afternoon, I didn't see the sign of a cyclone forming and there were no news of it either.

EDIT: Looks like they have not yet classified it as full fledged cyclone, it is still considered as a depression.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...cle3121203.ece
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-sectorir.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 9th November 2015 at 15:19.
tharian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 17:11   #9787
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic backed up all the way from ecospace to at least marathahalli( May have gone beyond now). Expected it to be a light week traffic wise. No luck.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 9th November 2015 at 17:12.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 18:07   #9788
BHPian

Looks like a bloodbath today
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1447072627135.jpg  

hifisharu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 18:13   #9789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
Ah there you go. My decision to work from home made me escape this mayhem. This week forecast is for rain, so work from home continues this week.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 19:32   #9790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Ah there you go. My decision to work from home made me escape this mayhem. This week forecast is for rain, so work from home continues this week.
Holy hell! That google maps screenshot looks very scary. I also decided to work from home today and am thankful I did.

It has been drizzling/raining from around 12 in the afternoon? This depression is depressing. But thankfully this has prevented the crackers from being burst
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 19:41   #9791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
It has been drizzling/raining from around 12 in the afternoon?
In EC side it has been raining from around 1100hrs, and continued to drizzle till around 1730 at least.
Old 9th November 2015, 19:43   #9792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
In EC side it has been raining from around 1100hrs, and continued to drizzle till around 1730 at least.
Bangalore north its actually raining heavily for few minutes followed by a drizzle. This is the pattern from post 2 pm onwards.
Old 9th November 2015, 19:53   #9793
BHPian

Varthur road was packed all the way till HUL office on Whitefield main road. I took a detour, drove around 5 km's extra, but bypassed the entire varthur block and reached the police station in around 20-25 minutes. The roads were not bad, when compared to the off roading track through Nallaruhalli village.
https://goo.gl/qw09D5

Managed to reach Hosa Jn from Vydehi Jn in 1hr 15mins. The traffic seems to have eased a lot now. Even then its showing 25 mins for an 8 min drive of 3 km's.
Old 9th November 2015, 20:05   #9794
BHPian

Took me 1 hour from BTM A2B signal to HSR(Agara depo)
Old 9th November 2015, 21:13   #9795
BHPian

Had to drive to Indiranagar today morning. Left home in Hoodi around 10:15 and reached by 11am. I think this was not bad for peak hour The traffic looks nicely organized from the Big Bazaar signal. One strange thing though is the U-turn for vehicles from NEGF is manned by a cop. Defeats the whole purpose. But I guess, the situation would be terrible without the cop as happens when people are left to themselves. The bullies always get through first. While returning only one lane is free for vehicles moving straight :-o. The way vehicles wait for the u-turn is ridiculous.

Most Viewed