Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2015, 09:56   #8551
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
It's really sad. I had been to Germany recently, and saw the quality of roads, and the road etiquette there. The road signs everywhere, the clear demarcation of lanes, white lines for stopping, the speed guns, cameras etc. Our country is far lacking in all these necessary details.
Germany is DEVELOPED while India is DEVELOOOOOOOOOPING..... . Not sure when we will be called a developed nation. Looking at this lack of coordination between various agencies, the tag of developing will be attached to our country for some more time to come.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 11:39   #8552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Germany is DEVELOPED while India is DEVELOOOOOOOOOPING..... . Not sure when we will be called a developed nation. Looking at this lack of coordination between various agencies, the tag of developing will be attached to our country for some more time to come.
'
Yes leave alone Germany which really beats even other developed countries like US behind in terms of the kind of roads. But even if you compare to other developing countries like Thailand or China we are behind.
Old 9th July 2015, 11:54   #8553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
It's really sad. I had been to Germany recently, and saw the quality of roads, and the road etiquette there. The road signs everywhere, the clear demarcation of lanes, white lines for stopping, the speed guns, cameras etc. Our country is far lacking in all these necessary details.
Sorry but I have a different take. I see that you are located in Bangalore. While its true that we don't have the same quality of roads as developed countries, the situation is improving. And regarding road signs, I find that we have enough road signs in Bangalore and on the highways. Its just that these get stuck with posters or gets obscured by banners. We do have dashed lines, continuous single and double white lines to mark lanes on our roads. The problem is awareness and knowledge as to what they mean, and even with the awareness, the lack in discipline in sticking to the rules that they implement.
Horizon81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 11:55   #8554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
'
Yes leave alone Germany which really beats even other developed countries like US behind in terms of the kind of roads. But even if you compare to other developing countries like Thailand or China we are behind.
Development is not just an infrastructure thing. It is also a state of the mind. the same people who break all laws while driving here will be a very law-abiding citizen while driving in other countries. Here it is all "chalta hai" attitude. We also have to grow mentally to be comparable to other developed or even some of the developing countries.
vasoo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 18:40   #8555
BHPian

It's not the signage that needs to be put up, it's the utter lack of commonsense - which I am afraid is not a medicine that can be administered thru IV or tablets. It still beats me when auto rickshaws and cars over take you to get to the railway crossing and block the oncoming traffic once the gates open. Seriously??? These guys think they can reach fast however they don't realize the fact that they are not. Frustrating!!!
Old 9th July 2015, 18:57   #8556
Senior - BHPian

Folks

This evening at around 4 PM there was a massive traffic jam on Marathahalli bridge towards ORR. Reason A volvo bus broke down in the middle of the road.
Old 9th July 2015, 20:36   #8557
Senior - BHPian

Some small lane that connects victoria road to the ejipura -> koramangala road .. pretty narrow. I was driving on at around 40, and an indica decides to overtake to my right - squeeze beween my car and the oncoming traffic. Only, he can't quite make it after squeezing into the gap so his bonnet is close to my driver door. Hardly six inches separate him from my car, and about that much from an oncoming motorcycle. Luckily all three of us managed to brake and stop, so I could ease forward, the bike could move on - after cursing the indica of course.
Old 10th July 2015, 07:08   #8558
Senior - BHPian

Folks
A lorry has broken down right at this spot. Beware of traffic jam. The spot is indicated by red color.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.png
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 07:25   #8559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks
A lorry has broken down right at this spot. Beware of traffic jam. The spot is indicated by red color.
To be precise, this is just after the HSR Signal, while coming from Silkboard, going towards HSR. This is on the right lane. So stick to middle and left lanes.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 15:42   #8560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinayism View Post
2) make it mandatory fr all drivers from different states to attend a mandatory RTO test before they are given permission to drive on roads here. This can help us catch people who would obtain licenses by bribing and not by merit!
Not sure this problem has to do with states too much, as

a) I had been driving for more than a decade across 3 different states before coming to Bengaluru and the first 6 months were sheer terror to me!

b) And a recent 5.5K km road trip I took across 11 states made it amply clear to me that the quality of driving is universally bad across India now!

IMHO just because more people are buying and driving cars, does not necessarily mean they also develop the common sense or even imagination about the consequences of what might happen due to their lack of judgement.
NowNew7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 16:23   #8561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowNew7 View Post
IMHO just because more people are buying and driving cars, does not necessarily mean they also develop the common sense or even imagination about the consequences of what might happen due to their lack of judgement.
You are so right. Just by watching the driving style, I can identify a driver who has upgraded from 2 to 4 wheels. His (very rarely Her) mind still works like a 2 wheeler rider. My personal opinion is that generally KL cars are driven well whereas AP ones are driven not so well, probably due to higher ownership of cars in KL and consequently more exposure to driving. (I am not from KL !!)
Old 10th July 2015, 17:12   #8562
BHPian

Ever wondered why the service lanes on the center of the underpass near bellandur on the outer ring road are blocked by barricades put up by the traffic police on some days and not blocked on some?

Today afternoon when I was passing through that on my way to office, a huge truck with 4 axles stops in the middle of the road there causing a huge traffic jam.
The helper gets down from the truck, and removes barricades and gets in back to the truck so that the truck can use that lane!
And the barricades will remain open till the traffic police see it open and the cycle continues!
Old 12th July 2015, 20:33   #8563
BHPian

Am I the only one who feels traffic cops in Bangalore violate more traffic rules than the common junta? Here is a proof. This is a busy point near the Domlur flyover in Indiranagar, where vehicles coming from the left (the side from which the BTP Jeep is approaching) aren't allowed to cross the road or take a right turn. Obviously, the cops on duty made way for the vehicle by stopping the oncoming traffic. Noticed the biker on the right? He trudged along too.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-picture2.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-picture1.jpg  

Old 13th July 2015, 00:11   #8564
BHPian

I travel everyday from home in Hoodi to my office in Mahadevapura. The hoodi main road is a one-way but still operates like a 2-way with trucks and cranes shamelessly coming in the wrong direction. After that, once Gopalan school is crossed, 2-wheelers take the baton ahead and drive down the wrong direction. From ABB to my office it is a single straigh road but again fraught with risks. The left lane is used for parking trucks carrying cylinders, the irritating tata indica cabs and again the vehicles trying to avoid traffic towards whitefield moving in the wrong direction and even abusing us if we look at them angrily. The right lane is used by slow moving 2-wheelers, autos and trucks along with the several cars waiting to make u-turns and right turns. It is a sigh of relief once I reach office.
Old 13th July 2015, 08:33   #8565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meples View Post
Am I the only one who feels traffic cops in Bangalore violate more traffic rules than the common junta? Here is a proof. This is a busy point near the Domlur flyover in Indiranagar, where vehicles coming from the left (the side from which the BTP Jeep is approaching) aren't allowed to cross the road or take a right turn. Obviously, the cops on duty made way for the vehicle by stopping the oncoming traffic. Noticed the biker on the right? He trudged along too.
Tweet that to the traffic police twitter ids. Maybe something might come out of it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks