Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 17:05   #7501
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Over-speeding is dangerous, like I have said before a vehicle must never move faster than our processing capabilities or reflexes. I absolutely look down upon rash, bullying driving like some wannabe-enthusiasts/cabbies do.

That being said, there is another driving habit in this city which is causing equal nuisance - under speeding in right side lane. Yes this is as much dangerous as over-speeding, because it inconveniences the vehicles behind causing them to change lanes to the left and again to the right, this act literally throws off the entire flow. I've seen vehicles go as slow as 10-20kmph in the right most lane, why have the middle and left lanes been even provided? NO they aren't meant exclusively for 2-wheelers or rickshaws.

I'm stunned by the amount of incapable drivers in this city. No indicators, overtaking from the wrong side, barging into a turn in a junction without any warning (in ideal cases vehicles going straight must be allowed first) & super-slow driving with 20 meters clear ahead. When I honk to tell them to atleast drive in normal city speeds I gets stares as if I'm a hot blooded speedster. Why can't the drivers of such vehicles atleast put the L sticker on permanently? Ego shouldn't be a reason against it because no one will call them experienced in anycase. Better yet why not just use public transport and play cell-phone driving games sitting inside it? Driving is ONLY for the discerning few.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 17:21   #7502
BHPian

On my first trip to Bangalore, I was handed a ticket for overspeeding - 300 bucks. This happened near Devanahalli, immediately after the junction. I was driving from hyd-ooty. And the milestones still read '45 kms' to Bangalore so I was quite surprised when they asked me to pull over. what were they doing so far out of the city?

Recently, when I drove to Bangalore I saw the cops again - same place. I was under 70 so they didn't flag me down. And I noticed cops after crossing the NICE road too. I think they are guarding all the entry and exit points to the city
Bangalore cops are stricter than hyd cops.
Old 19th January 2015, 17:39   #7503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncNest View Post
On my first trip to Bangalore, I was handed a ticket for overspeeding - 300 bucks. This happened near Devanahalli, immediately after the junction. I was driving from hyd-ooty. And the milestones still read '45 kms' to Bangalore so I was quite surprised when they asked me to pull over. what were they doing so far out of the city?

Recently, when I drove to Bangalore I saw the cops again - same place. I was under 70 so they didn't flag me down. And I noticed cops after crossing the NICE road too. I think they are guarding all the entry and exit points to the city
Bangalore cops are smart. They know that only 45 km before you reach Bangalore, you can reach such speeds. Everywhere else inside, you have to crawl at a snail's pace.

They are positioned at the straight parts of all the major highways.
bharat4ever is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 17:59   #7504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Bangalore cops are smart. They know that only 45 km before you reach Bangalore, you can reach such speeds. Everywhere else inside, you have to crawl at a snail's pace.

They are positioned at the straight parts of all the major highways.
yep. Coming from Hosur and trying to cross Bangalore: started at 10 AM, exited at 1 PM. I want to think that it was bad timing, that it is the office rush that jostled me into a crush of vehicles, heading straight into gridlocks all the time.

the unfortunate thing was I wanted to pee badly. It was pretty evident that I could go take a leak and come back after 10 mins to find my car in exactly the same spot, as if it is trained to stay faithful to its unmoving shadow.

I hated that day. I will never drink water before entering Bangalore again
SyncNest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 18:35   #7505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
That being said, there is another driving habit in this city which is causing equal nuisance - under speeding in right side lane.
In general, city roads don't have the "right lane is for overtaking" rule - in fact, most cities have a complete opposite "no overtaking within city limits" rule. The idea is that within city/municipal limits, you drive in a lane based on the direction you need to go at the next junction.

(In Bangalore this does not apply to NICE Road, BETL and maybe a couple of other roads).

Quote:
On my first trip to Bangalore, I was handed a ticket for overspeeding - 300 bucks. This happened near Devanahalli, immediately after the junction.
I think BTP's jurisdiction extends till Devanahalli on NH7. They are generally seen in the airport-Hebbal stretch with interceptors. I've been caught once, and the cop told me the fine is Rs. 300 and Rs. 700 if you are driving over 100 kmph.
Old 19th January 2015, 18:35   #7506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Bangalore City Limits begins just before Devanahalli town turn off when coming from Hyderabad.
The cops are from Devanahalli station and they stand on the highway just after the cut off into Devanahalli town.

I was caught at the point once when happily speeding on my bike thinking these guys stand only after the airport flyover towards the city.
Few days back when I was on the same road coming from Chikkabalapur , I noticed the City limits board and was on the look out from that point .
I was at around 65kmh behind a car when I saw the speed camera van and reduced my speed instantly.

I am not sure now if the speed limit is the same for 2 and 4 wheelers since I did not see any boards specific to two wheelers or if I was lucky.

Last edited by tharian : 19th January 2015 at 18:37.
Old 19th January 2015, 18:42   #7507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am not sure now if the speed limit is the same for 2 and 4 wheelers since I did not see any boards specific to two wheelers or if I was lucky.
When in doubt, always become a social media addict .

BTP time and again a couple of years back posted about the speed limits on their FB Page. They also stated that if there were no signs mentioning the limits, the following limits invariably are applicable anyway:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-speed-limit.jpg

They have smartly ensured there is no room for arguments when one is caught by the lens.

You can read more on this notification here

EDIT: I have to add that on BETL the maximum speed limit is 80KMPH.

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th January 2015 at 18:49.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 20:40   #7508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
When in doubt, always become a social media addict .

BTP time and again a couple of years back posted about the speed limits on their FB Page. They also stated that if there were no signs mentioning the limits, the following limits invariably are applicable anyway:

They have smartly ensured there is no room for arguments when one is caught by the lens.

You can read more on this notification here

EDIT: I have to add that on BETL the maximum speed limit is 80KMPH.
Thanks for that info.
So I am guessing since there is no two wheeler mentioned for BIA road, it is 50kmh?
That is painfully slow for a road like that.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 20:54   #7509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that info.
So I am guessing since there is no two wheeler mentioned for BIA road, it is 50kmh?
Yes that is correct. 50KMPH should be treated as the upper limit for 2 wheelers on the BIAL road and I guess it should hold good.

I vaguely remember the signage after Hebbal, let me check that on my way to home today .
Old 19th January 2015, 21:15   #7510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that info.
It is 60kmph for 2W and 80kmph for 4W on the BIAL road. The other parts of the city has the speed limit of 50kmph for the 2W and 60 kmph for the 4W. This was on the newspaper sometime ago. The interceptor is normally parked near the incline. In this way, it is easier for the BTP to catch the offenders.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 23:18   #7511
Team-BHP Support

Saw this article today in Bangalore mirror.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../45934149.cms?

The peripheral ring road idea re-booted. This is again a proposed 8-laned corridor joining Tumkur road to Hosur road. I dont understand if the load on NICE is that high, that we need a PRR on this sector ?

I think should develop the 207 more for the North East South sector. Thats where I think problems are.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 06:47   #7512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This illustrates something that bothers me no end - why do they allow tractors and trailers in the city limits during the day? These vehicles cannot drive faster (physically, and legally) and end up slowing down an entire lane, and encourage people to cut lanes to overtake them.

I personally believe that the ban on trucks during the day within city limits should also be extended to things like tractors, trailers, JCBs, etc.
Old 20th January 2015, 06:53   #7513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Saw this article today in Bangalore mirror.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../45934149.cms?

The peripheral ring road idea re-booted. This is again a proposed 8-laned corridor joining Tumkur road to Hosur road. I dont understand if the load on NICE is that high, that we need a PRR on this sector ?

I think should develop the 207 more for the North East South sector. Thats where I think problems are.
I think Bangalore Mirror has messed up some facts as usual. The PRR is meant to close the clockwise loop from tumkur road to hosur road via old madras road and sarjapur road and is not expected to cover Mysore magadi roads. This anti clockwise loop is covered by NICE road. The image in the article shows the correct alignment.

Wonder how long this will take if it ever happens. Builders have been selling flats in the sarjapur area with the tagline "100 MTS from proposed PRR" for several years now .
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 07:34   #7514
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think Bangalore Mirror has messed up some facts as usual. The PRR is meant to close the clockwise loop from tumkur road to hosur road via old madras road and sarjapur road and is not expected to cover Mysore magadi roads. This anti clockwise loop is covered by NICE road. The image in the article shows the correct alignment.
Thats what some time back even I remember that they were planning a PRR along that very region. In fact I still think they would be much better in developing the NH207 if they are looking at the truck-exit and bypass corridor.
Old 20th January 2015, 18:43   #7515
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a BTP alert on a big truck breakdown near bellandur causing slow moving traffic between belandur and agara. Not sure which side it is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks