Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2014, 12:20   #7051
BHPian

I think the issue more is about the Ill discipline and the lack of respect for other's property and time. In electronic city there are traffic wardens regulating traffic and to my astonishment, it is the well dressed IT professionals who don't give a flying toss to his instructions. Just today morning I saw a lady arguing with a warden for asking her to get back into her Lane. Crazy!
Old 11th November 2014, 12:51   #7052
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I don't know if this is true : http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/45103474.cms

If they did so, its definitely a relief for most of us who use the ring road for work commute. I posted on the BTP page asking if it was going to be implemented ? No response as yet.
I don't know if this alone will help. Two issues which hold same priority(if not more) as per my experience:
1) BMTC/Public buses stop at the ascent and descent of all flyovers. Case in point is Bellandur flyover. BMTC buses have two stops here - Central and Ecospace. Where there used to be one stop(Bellandur) before now, buses make two stops leading to traffic snarls(parallel parking of buses) and that too at the start and end of the flyover! What is the point of flyover then?
Same is true for Marathahalli bridge too.

2) Missing walkover foot bridges. As if the buses were not enough menace on road we have people crossing the roads at all the points(mentioned in my previous point). Look at Ecospace crossing at Bellandur. If somehow you managed to get a lane to pass the parked buses, you will most likely be brought to an abrupt hold either by a really "jay" walker or the guard, who mistook Go board for Stop board in his hand.
Most amazing is the area near JP Morgan. Just when you are coming out of the underpass, you realize there is a red light for the employees to cross over. A red light, on ring road, for pedestrians? What kind of Ring Road is this? I don't blame the pedestrians for this mess, since its how bus stops have been planned without giving any thought to how people are going to cross over.

The only saving grace I have seen is on the flyover before VW Whitefield/RE showroom near Mahadevapura crossing. The buses have to go from the service lane below the flyover and there is a bus stop there(not before or after the flyover). Its also easier that ways for people to go in eother directions.

I tried sending the same feedback to Bangalore Traffic Police via their FB page but, all I got so far(after about 2-3 attempts) was an assurance that the inspector in charge will take a look.
HarshVShrotriya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 15:07   #7053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_j View Post
I think the issue more is about the Ill discipline and the lack of respect for other's property and time.
This is a pan-India situation. IT professionals most likely used the excuse of showing that they are better educated, and so have better road manners. All that excuses have been proven to be wrong. An auto-rickshaw driver (most probably from Bangalore) may not mind hitting or abusing another driver. It is not that IT-wallah does not want to do the same. 99% he is an outsider (of the state), do not have the language fluency and may be a docile person who does not want to pick up a fight.

May be it is because of our huge population, and we are living a "rat race" right from the day we goto school. Every resource/facility is a premium, and people who fall aside are left to fend for themselves. For the traffic problems, the only way I see it is to rapidly work on building many smaller "new" cities in areas where land is available. The existing cities needs to be decongested. Cities like Navi Mumbai was built with this purpose in mind, but don't know if it made any difference at the end.
Old 11th November 2014, 15:17   #7054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
The worst of the lot is the Whitefield Main Road and its surrounding areas. Trucks haphazardly parked/broken down/illegal U-turns and this area is the IT hub of Bangalore.
I agree and I am suffering everyday between the Vydehi Circle (kids school) and Graphite Signal (my home). Yesterday I spent 30 mins for the above said stretch, i.e < 2KM distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshVShrotriya View Post
Did you try the route via HAL - CV Raman Nagar - Kaggadaspura - Gopalan School - Graphite Signal? Till 4 years back (when I was staying in Kaggadaspura) this route was my favorite to travel between Old Airport Road and Whitefield. But, I know 4 years is a long time in Bangalore to make hell out of any route.
I tried all the alternatives and realized in a hard way that the difference is 5 minutes give and take.

I tried the following routes
1. Manipal-Indiranagar-CMH hospital-Vivekananda Road metro station-KR Puram rly station-Brigade Metropolis-Graphite Signal
2. Manipal-HAL-Marathalli-ISRO-ORR-Doddenekkundi-Graphite Signal (through the crap roads)
3. The one you mentioned
4. Manipal-HAL-Marathalli-Kundalahalli-Graphite Signal (335E bus Route)

I notice there is some significant deterioration in the past 2 months or so. I don't know the reason really...
Old 11th November 2014, 15:32   #7055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
This is a pan-India situation. IT professionals most likely used the excuse of showing that they are better educated, and so have better road manners. All that excuses have been proven to be wrong. An auto-rickshaw driver (most probably from Bangalore) may not mind hitting or abusing another driver. It is not that IT-wallah does not want to do the same. 99% he is an outsider (of the state), do not have the language fluency and may be a docile person who does not want to pick up a fight.

May be it is because of our huge population, and we are living a "rat race" right from the day we goto school. Every resource/facility is a premium, and people who fall aside are left to fend for themselves. For the traffic problems, the only way I see it is to rapidly work on building many smaller "new" cities in areas where land is available. The existing cities needs to be decongested. Cities like Navi Mumbai was built with this purpose in mind, but don't know if it made any difference at the end.
This is a creative thought. Do we really have town planning? Especially ,a place like Bangalore ,its growing on its own .I have been seeing this place for last 15 years. When the roads needs to be widened ,flyovers to be constructed ,drains to be made ,this needs a visionary approach.Adding to it, corruption,favoritism and political activism had made resources to be raced for.Wise men had said, "The world can provide for your need ,but not provide for your greed" .In Bangalore slums/settlements are created first,then land grabbing,land mafia all things come to picture. The least value is given to the roads.
Even if we take public transport,it is not going to slow down the congestion .Metro is just a picnic spot now. Building better and wider roads ,at least in the future is the only option.
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 15:32   #7056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
This is a pan-India situation. IT professionals most likely used the excuse of showing that they are better educated, and so have better road manners. All that excuses have been proven to be wrong.
I have seen so many so-called educated people breaking laws that I don't buy the argument of education anymore. Just wait for a red signal at Graphite signal and see the number of IT(es) employees riding over the pedestrian footpaths. Look at the traffic coming out of IT parks - do you see any lane discipline?
However, I disagree that only new cities is the solution. If that was the case, places like Hong Kong and Singapore would have gone to the bins. What helps, is an administration that wants to work and by that, I mean do the due diligence of planning and execution.
Everyone thought that its difficult to discipline drivers in New Delhi too. Few months of free hand to the traffic police, some broken headlights, few "murgas on road" and today people immediately come in right lane on seeing camera or traffic police van. Of course, this does not mean that Delhi has become a great place to drive but, its improved (in certain areas at least where I have been regular). This fear of traffic police is totally missing in Bangalore. We are only afraid of the so-called speed interceptors. Just look around you, how many two-wheeler drivers still wear helmet? Or, how many cars have had their sunfilms removed?
HarshVShrotriya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 14:05   #7057
Senior - BHPian

Time to rejoice fellas !!
I am wondering what can be done about the rogue water tankers ?
They are a neccessity, yet a menace on roads.
Stricter policing on the Tata 407 water tankers is needed too.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../45103474.cms?

Quote from the news article.
Quote:
Coming soon: 6am to 10pm ban on trucks on the ORR

In a decision that will be widely cheered, especially by the city's techies, the Bangalore traffic police have decided to decongest the city's trunk roads (read, the widened outer ring roads leading to major tech parks). Signalling a significant move to ease traffic woes, the police have decided to issue an official notification banning the movement of all lorries, trucks, and other slow-moving heavy vehicles (over a capacity of three tonnes) into the city between 6am and 10pm.

The three-tonne rule would exclude tempos and mini-trucks like Tata 407, and would include only heavy transport vehicles.
The 'no-lorries' rule will hold good across all city roads, with the only exception being trucks from the Food Corporation of India and heavy vehicles carrying essential commodities like medicines, milk, fuel, etc.

All lorries - including those carrying sand, construction material, and farm produce - will be allowed to enter Bengaluru only after 10pm

In order to avoid manipulation by lower-rung policemen at the ground level, the activities of the traffic police at these checkpoints will be strictly monitored using 180 CCTVs installed throughout the city. This will help prevent illegal entry and exit of heavy vehicles in the city.

TENTATIVE CHECKPOINTS

Mysore Road: At NICE junction before Kengeri
Tumkur Road: NICE junction
Doddaballapur Main Road: BMS Institute of Technology Devanahalli/ International
Airport Road: Near Trumpet Interchange
Kolar Road: K R Puram ORR
Kanakapura Main Road: Thalagattapura
Hosur Road: Electronics City
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 22:01   #7058
Senior - BHPian

A single frame that captures all that is wrong with the traffic in Bangalore.

The cops lead by example.

But it's not that conventional.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-btp.jpg
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 23:10   #7059
BHPian

Something that made me completely mad on the road today.
I was trying to make it to a hospital where one of my relatives was admitted in an emergency. So I was on the Old Airport Road and behind this very oddly moving Alto - oddly because it always needed a honk to move after the signal had turned green - I hate honking and diligently waited for 10 seconds before I honked.
He kept driving slowly Despite the sparse afternoon traffic. Despite trying there was no space for me to overtake. And this guy kept driving like this for a good 15 minutes after which I overtook him and understood the reason - he was constantly looking at his phone - most likely messaging.
I really wanted to get down and give him some choicest words but better sense prevailed and I simply proceeded to my destination.
I just don't get it - how can people be so stupid and senseless and act like morons on the road. All I hope of that their future generations are better than them.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 12th November 2014 at 23:12.
Old 13th November 2014, 08:29   #7060
BHPian

Today there is utter chaos on the Old Airport Road. There is traffic pile up from HAL main gate till Kempfort (towards Marathalli). This is around 7.40AM. Those who are heading towards ITPL be prepared for long commute Today. Slight drizzle caused this much chaos?
Traffic in other direction was little better (I was travelling towards Domlur).

Another Point:
Be cautious of mobile dividers, Yes you read it correct. These exists between Marathalli market and Brand Factory. These are just concrete blocks placed one after other along the road, these can be moved hence the above name. It seems like some bikers have moved one or two blocks of the divider to make path for theier bikes . At some places they are dangerously situated on the main road (read right lane). Those who are driving on this stretch (both directions) be aware of those and keep at least one feet margin.
Old 13th November 2014, 09:40   #7061
Senior - BHPian

I guess no one has reached office yet to post a rant.

As for me, Old Airport Road was jammed from before Marathahalli Bridge all the way upto Kundanahalli gate.
Old 13th November 2014, 10:08   #7062
BHPian

Yes of Course, a slight drizzle of rain early in the morning seem to have caused a huge effect. My colleague residing in Devasandra has not yet reached office (in EPIP). He says his cab was stuck near Ramamurthy Nagar for more than an hour.

Waiting to hear from NPV his side of story.
Old 13th November 2014, 10:17   #7063
BHPian

Seems like I am one of the few lucky people today. Travelled from Tin Factory to Ecospace in just 30 minutes after starting at 9:25 AM! Normally it takes anything between 45 minutes to 1 hour. Maybe I hit some kind of a sweet patch. Or is it that all the ORR traffic was stuck in Ramamurthy Nagar, causing roads further down to be relatively empty?
Old 13th November 2014, 11:30   #7064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I guess no one has reached office yet to post a rant.
lol.. Yes, it was very bad today morning near Ecospace, ORR. It seems a drainage cover slab broke right below the Intel flyover and they were repairing it, in peak traffic hours

Traffic was jammed from 8:15 itself.
Old 13th November 2014, 11:45   #7065
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
lol.. Yes, it was very bad today morning near Ecospace, ORR. It seems a drainage cover slab broke right below the Intel flyover and they were repairing it, in peak traffic hours

Traffic was jammed from 8:15 itself.
To be fair, the police issued a notification yesterday about this advising people to drive up further and take a U turn back in
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks