Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2014, 09:31   #6601
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

The other sad part of looking at the picture is the fact that everyone drives with their high beams on blinding the on coming traffic. When are we going to learn that it is dangerous for others to drive with high beams inside the city especially.
The funny part is that every driving school and experienced drivers will tell you that one should drive with high beam normally and dip when there is oncoming traffic.
Will we ever learn to be courteous to other drivers in the road?
Old 13th September 2014, 11:01   #6602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
The other sad part of looking at the picture is the fact that everyone drives with their high beams on blinding the on coming traffic. When are we going to learn that it is dangerous for others to drive with high beams inside the city especially.
The funny part is that every driving school and experienced drivers will tell you that one should drive with high beam normally and dip when there is oncoming traffic.
Will we ever learn to be courteous to other drivers in the road?
In addition to the high beams, the Xenon headlamps are a major deterrent. When high beams are not needed for city driving, i see quite a number of cars zipping with xenon lamps.
Old 14th September 2014, 12:01   #6603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Case of road-rage in Koramangala - Woman, friend beaten up by two men on scooter
Sad to note that Bangalore is turning more and more boorish by the passing year.
In this incident, surprising that no one had the presence of mind to note down the registration number of the goons.
Also, the "friend" who was riding the was was not wearing a helmet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjun04 View Post
What's most annoying in bangalore is that even properly dressed so called "well educated" folk freely flout traffic rules, ride/drive on the wrong side of the road and jump signals at the smallest instance possible. No one seems to have a conscience while driving. It's all a big rave of who can get ahead first thus delaying everyone (including himself).
Stiffer monetary penalities in the offing,
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/42401097.cms
This should automatically bring in some sense.

However, with our overcrowded roads and unscientific signages, even good drivers might be at the receiving end.
Old 14th September 2014, 20:12   #6604
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Old (HAL) Airport Road is pathetic from Marathahalli to HAL Airport junction direction. Work is now in progress on this stretch so hopefully it will become a smooth ride soon.
In the opposite direction the lanes have been asphalted from HAL Helicopter division junction to Marathahalli and is smooth now as of this evening.

Last edited by Stratos : 15th September 2014 at 16:27. Reason: Edited as per request.
Old 15th September 2014, 00:01   #6605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Old (HAL) Airport Road is pathetic from Marathahalli to HAL Airport junction direction. Bit work is now in progress on this stretch so hopefully it will become a smooth ride soon.
In the opposite direction the lanes have been asphalted from HAL Helicopter division junction to Marathahalli and is smooth now as of this evening.

Arent they supposed to start the signal-free corridor work from ASC center till Varthur on this stretch? Cant imagine how this stretch would become once it starts and god-knows how long will it take to complete?
Old 15th September 2014, 09:14   #6606
Senior - BHPian

This morning an idiot lady in a Honda Brio, tried turning from the middle lane into a left turn, by crossing the left lane abruptly without warning. She was merely following a Scorpio who bullyingly did exactly that just a moment before.
Both cars cut right across my bows!

This is at the Koramangala Raheja Residency NMIMS junction and right in front of a cop!
The cop as usual grinned at me and did nothing, god darned blundering idiot that he is!!

The way our miserable corporate executive types in Bangalore are behaving these days on the roads is enough to cause me to seriously consider emigrating as an option!
Old 15th September 2014, 10:39   #6607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
Two persons, including the driver, lost their lives in that accident. One person is admitted to hospital with severe injuries.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...cle2414046.ece
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
Bellandur Flyover Accident Alert

Really, this flyover deserves a dedicated thread. Another indi-cab (compact sedan) totaled in the same spot as previous accidents. When I crossed this spot at 0645 AM today, there was one traffic police and the car was ready to be towed. The start of railing was reduced by another few inches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
A very welcome move. Sadly its coming after loosing precious lives. I have myself witnessed three accidents at this very spot.
Source: Bangalore Mirror
Attachment 1287025
It seems the cops had written to the BDA about this accident spot in May this year, and they ignored. I really hope the police pursue the case. This would give clear message to those responsible for maintaining the roads and signages.

http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...eers-arrested/
Quote:
In an unprecedented case the Bangalore traffic police have arrested two engineers from the Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) for the death of two persons in a traffic accident on a flyover on the Outer Ring Road in the city last week.
The BDA engineers who were involved in the construction of the flyover have been charged with negligence in not installing proper signages on the flyover resulting in a cab driver crashing his car on September 3 and causing his own death and that of a software engineer who was heading for the Bangalore airport with his wife. The airport traffic police who investigated the case arrested the two BDA engineers on Friday for not installing proper signages for the Outer Ring Road flyover at Devarabeesanahalli.
The Deputy Commissioner of Police for traffic (East division) MN Babu Rajendra Prasad said that the arrested persons were Sripadaraj, an Assistant Executive Engineer and Pradeep, an Assistant Engineer. A third person from the BDA was also arrested and was identified as the project in-charge Vinobha.
The traffic DCP said that the work on the flyover at Devarabeesanahalli had been in progress for a few years but the project remained incomplete. The BDA meanwhile had not put up any sign boards to caution people about hazards while using the road. “We wrote a letter to the BDA in May after sensing danger at this accident site. We requested the BDA to install signages and warned of criminal action if any thing were to go wrong. They ignored our letter and warnings.
They did not install the signages leading to the tragic accident on September 3,” Prasad said. A software engineer Ravindran, 32, and cab driver Shiva Kumar were killed in an accident on the flyover in the early hours of September 3 after the driver failed to spot the construction activity. The software engineer’s wife Ramya, 27, sustained severe injuries in the accident.
The couple were on their way to the Kempegowda International Airport with Ramya scheduled to catch a flight for Mumbai to visit relatives. The police had initially registered a case of negligence against the cab driver but further investigations revealed that the negligence of BDA officials was also responsible for the fatal accident leading to their arrest.
- See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/cit....BmFnTWdO.dpuf
Old 15th September 2014, 11:04   #6608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
In addition to the high beams, the Xenon headlamps are a major deterrent. When high beams are not needed for city driving, i see quite a number of cars zipping with xenon lamps.
Don't even get me started on the xenon lamps menace. I have seen cars and bikes who put unshielded HID bulbs in reflector housing which is a strict no-no. But then what can we do about it?
Old 15th September 2014, 11:43   #6609
Senior - BHPian

Police filing criminal charges against BDA officials hopefully will lead to more cases against BBMP also for the pathetic roads that lead to accidents.

Not sure if the Police can completely blame BDA. They do put up signages of their own like BTRAC etc. At some places we can see 4 different agencies putting up signage for the same hump.

The courts should hold all these accountable.
Old 15th September 2014, 12:24   #6610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
A very welcome move. Sadly its coming after loosing precious lives.
I agree and hopefully this is not a one of case. Every bad road in the city should see the concerned judicial engineer, be it from BBMP or BDA held accountable. We pay property tax, betterment charges, Garbage cess, highest in the country road taxes and yet have one of the most pathetic services. It is high time, these official babu's are put behind bars for taking salary on work not being done.

On the same lines, the engineers association is planning for a strike to condole the arrest of its colleagues in the above case. How pathetic.
Old 15th September 2014, 12:31   #6611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

On the same lines, the engineers association is planning for a strike to condole the arrest of its colleagues in the above case. How pathetic.
And today is Engineers day We are very slow in adapting to concept of accountability in our country.

Last edited by srishiva : 15th September 2014 at 12:32.
Old 15th September 2014, 12:32   #6612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
And today is Engineers day
I hope better sense prevails and they too work for the betterment of the country rather than take to streets to inconvenience the common man, who is already inconvenienced by their lack of efforts. I seem to be in a ranting mood on a Monday, is that a surprise?
Old 15th September 2014, 17:08   #6613
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

If you're a "whitefielder" you can't become complacent and you learn a lot of (traffic) life-lessons each week, so many new challenges are thrown at you
Today is Monday and a new challenge is here:
The break in the median outside Prestige Shanthiniketan (PSN) gate #2 is blocked with concrete blocks and metal barricades so no more U-turns here!

I take the Devasandra route so now I have to bear left at the PSN gate, proceed to the signal near PSN Gate #3, turn right (U-turn not allowed at signal) and make a U-turn a little ahead and get back to the signal and turn left.

Today, I just wanted to give the EPIP area a try so after turning right at the signal, I went past Sathya Sai Hospital, turned right towards SAP, got back to the Bhoruka signal (did not want to go back to Hoodi junction and go via Devasandra as I'd done a complete circle around EPIP!) and turned left to head back via Phoenix Shopping mall. But this is exactly the stretch I avoid by taking Devasandra, so does not make sense taking this circuitous route, luckily EPIP wasn't jammed today around 4pm.

Any alternatives to get back onto ITPL road from PSN gate #2 to head towards Hoodi junction other than the one I've highlighted above ?
Old 15th September 2014, 23:45   #6614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Any alternatives to get back onto ITPL road from PSN gate #2 to head towards Hoodi junction other than the one I've highlighted above ?
The U-turn at big bazaar signal (towards hoodi) is now allowed for LMV. It was told verbally by the cop there and many cars did the same. Also, one of the gaps in median in front of gate 2 has been opened in the evening today. This should ease the situation. It was the craziest day in the last 10 years at ITPL today.

Last edited by ak916 : 15th September 2014 at 23:57.
ak916 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 03:38   #6615
Senior - BHPian

Apparantly, someone from the Govt. is reading our rants thread !!

All the IT corridoors seems to be in the process of being re-tarred !!
This time the guys were doing the stretch between Sarjapur junction till Bellandur flyover.

I seriously wish they re-tar the Bellandur and Intel flyovers.
I feel like riding a hump each time I go over the expansion joints.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks