Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 12:37   #6346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Same here. Traffic was literally non-existent (Bangalore Standards). Left at 9am reached at 9:30am - 30 minutes for 21 kms; not too bad.

My advice - do not take a chance today evening, it is usually crowded. Plan to finish work ASAP and head home for a late lunch
Absolutely second you.
I work from 6:30 to 3.
So my usual return timing is relatively traffic free.

Expect jams around the city due to the festive mood.
By the way, I had been to Frazer Town last Wednaesday (for obvious reasons) .Whatta crowd !!
And not to mention, lip smacking food. Heaven !! Peace !! (Pics on the Bangalore Food thread).
Old 29th July 2014, 13:00   #6347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Just to add to the miseries of Rohan, Pratyush and nggk5mr, I was on a Comp Off yesterday.
I don't feel miserable ;-)
When my manager offered me a compensatory off if I worked today, I said yes before he finished his sentence. So I am now in office, and it took me only 35 minutes to reach from home to office (8.45 AM to 9.20 AM). That's the duration I take when I start from home at 7 AM on usual days! Now I am looking forward to taking the comp-off on the usual hellish days.

By the way, what's the plan for Thursday? There is going to be a bandh right? Is there any official announcement?
Old 29th July 2014, 15:01   #6348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
By the way, what's the plan for Thursday? There is going to be a bandh right? Is there any official announcement?
Plan for Thursday is, if IT Companies declare a bandh, then its going to be a Comp Off for me on Friday (for working today)

On a serious note, everywhere I read, it says "IT Companies are still discussing".
I am not expecting an official announcement before late Wednesday evening.

In any case, even though it is declared a bandh, our company will compensate for it by making us work on a Saturday. They send official emails saying - "Tommorrow is bandh, so Saturday, dated xx is a working day".
Old 29th July 2014, 15:28   #6349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In any case, even though it is declared a bandh, our company will compensate for it by making us work on a Saturday. They send official emails saying - "Tommorrow is bandh, so Saturday, dated xx is a working day".
Same in our company too & I hate coming to office on a Saturday :(
Old 29th July 2014, 15:39   #6350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I guess it is wide spread all over India to provide off during Bandh and making us to work on a non-working day. Just think today is Ramzan and I am working here in office. :(
Old 29th July 2014, 16:03   #6351
BHPian

Quote:
Just to add to the miseries of Rohan, Pratyush and nggk5mr, I was on a Comp Off yesterday.
Today, I left home today at 7:30 (1 hour late) and reached office at 8:10. Flat 40 mins from BTM to Whitefield - 24kms.

Surprisingly, BTM main roads between Udupi Garden > SilkBoard , including Lake Road were empty, with only one or two bikers. Took me just 5 mins to clear silkboard !!
My idea was lot of people would be on Comp off & my route would be free. I was
My colleague comes through silk board to Whitefield & I think his drive was a breeze too.
At least some of you enjoyed. Happy for you guys.

Thanks.
Old 29th July 2014, 16:26   #6352
BHPian

Quote:
On a serious note, everywhere I read, it says "IT Companies are still discussing".
I am not expecting an official announcement before late Wednesday evening.

Yeah, most of the companies decide & send official communication in the last minute, just like Govt office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Best option is to build Comp Off time & take that working Saturday off. Pain to come to office on any Saturday.

Thanks.
Old 29th July 2014, 21:55   #6353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
For what purpose is the bandh being called for?
Old 29th July 2014, 22:13   #6354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
For what purpose is the bandh being called for?
Protest against violence towards women. News.
Old 30th July 2014, 12:01   #6355
BHPian

What went wrong on Old Airport Road today? I took me about an hour to reach Marathalli Junction from HAL post. Was some minister visiting us today? Truck conked off? Who else was stuck in this traffic?
Old 30th July 2014, 12:07   #6356
Distinguished - BHPian

So what's the deal tomorrow? Can we drive out of town? Or is it risky taking the car out (more so coming back in especially before the evening).

Why would something like this turn violent? Violence to cure violence? Terrible.
Old 30th July 2014, 12:32   #6357
Senior - BHPian

Here is the Bandh Advisory from my company.

Quote:
Dear All,
In view of the 12-hour ‘Bangalore bandh’ called on Thursday (July 31) by few pro-Kannada organizations, to protest the increasing incidences of rape and sexual assaults on women and for cancellation of the extended night life in the city.
Assessing the current developments, huge rallies are planned to begin around 10 am on 31st July 2014, from the Town Hall to the Chief Minister’s official residence. Also, protests are planned at the office of Deputy Commissioners (DC) , However we are anticipating for multiple rallies, gatherings and pockets of processions across the city and general commutation during this time would be disturbed and strictly not advisable.
XXX Company shall continue to operate for the day with necessary precautions and preparedness as follows,
- Projects need to take a call on Client visits, if any, for the day and appraise customers accordingly.
- Projects which can exercise remote working (Working from Home) are advised to exercise the same for the day.
- All XXX Company Buses and Cabs shall reach office before 8 AM in the morning and gates shall be closed by 8:30 AM at all facilities for any associate coming on their own vehicles.
- Security Guards will be enhanced for high vigilance across all premises.
- Associate movement towards the gates and main entrance during this time will be restricted and are advised to avoid gathering near visible areas from roadside.
- Drops for the day shall commence post 5:30 PM depending the assessment of the situation, associates coming on their own vehicles too will be allowed to return back home based on the assessing the situation.
- Vendors supporting cafeteria and other breweries are been advised to stock adequately for the day.
- Transport team will be able to accommodate special requests for the day, based on advanced notifications to the transport teams.

For Any further arrangements for the day can be discussed with the local Admin Managers and also Regional Crisis Management Team
Sr.Management will review the situation and update incase of any change in plan .
So basically if I turn up at office (which I have to), it is going to be a 12 Hour day for me, apart from driving time.
Old 30th July 2014, 12:50   #6358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the Bandh Advisory from my company.

So basically if I turn up at office (which I have to), it is going to be a 12 Hour day for me, apart from driving time.
Here is our company's Bandh Advisory.

Quote:
Dear <xyz company employees>,

We have been receiving many queries about July 31, 2014 being a working day on account of the Bangalore Bandh. We are in touch with local authorities in Bangalore – and as of now the bandh is not supported by major political parties and there will be no disruption of essential services. Hence, we will be working on Thursday, July 31st.

We would urge you, however to be careful and cautious while commuting to and from work.
For any further information, please reach out to your respective partners.
Regards
I would suggest not to take those routes which involve the Bandh rally, or probably leave home early and leave office late

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st August 2014 at 18:43. Reason: Edited to remove company name & signoff, just in case...
Old 30th July 2014, 13:10   #6359
BHPian

Here is the circular provided in my company.
Quote:
Pro-labour and Kannada organisations have called for a shutdown strike in Karnataka on Thursday, Jul 31 from 06.00 to 18.00 (local time) to protest against recent crimes against women. As per news reports, in Bangalore, protests will take form of rallies and demonstrations in various locations. Additional security will be deployed throughout sensitive areas in the city

****** offices in Bangalore will remain open and our contracted transport will operate as normal unless disruptions force us to suspend operations.

In order to provide critical services to clients, some employees may be requested to come in early or stay back post their shifts to avoid travelling during bandh hours. You are requested to check with your Supervisor on the same.

Please note the following
• If your scheduled transport does not report on time, please use your own transport if available, share a ride or take public transport to come to work. The safety and security of our employees is always our number one priority. Please be vigilant to avoid routes where normal traffic is being disrupted by protesters. Please use your judgment in ensuring you do not place yourselves at any harm while coming to work using your own or public transport.
• In the unlikely event of your vehicle being stopped by protesters, please follow the advice of police where available or call the emergency services. You can also contact *******’s crisis control room for appropriate advice and possible assistance. ******* contracted vehicle drivers have been advised to avoid engaging with the protestors and refrain from reacting rashly.
• ****** employees undertaking business travel are advised to remain abreast of the current situation and ensure that they look up for travel advisories regularly.

In fact my daily shift starts at 6:00 AM in the morning so I wont be facing any issues (I hope for the good) in the morning as I will be in office before the bundh starts and god knows what would happen in the evening. :(
Old 30th July 2014, 13:18   #6360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
What went wrong on Old Airport Road today? I took me about an hour to reach Marathalli Junction from HAL post. Was some minister visiting us today? Truck conked off? Who else was stuck in this traffic?
As per BTP, there was some BWSSB work near Kundanahalli gate, not sure if that is what caused the traffic backup on airport road too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks