Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2014, 10:29   #6121
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Well, I have been living in BTM Lake road for the last 7 years, and like you said, I have been seeing BG Road going from empty roads to chaos !!

When Meenakshi mall came up, it brought may investors and real estate people. This has caused mayhem on this stretch.
BG road remains lonely in morning wee hours but after 8 a.m approx sudden traffic pile up like anything. I stayed at Gottigere for almost 2 years but to reach electronic city I don't even dare to take BG road towards NICE road toll, instead relied completely on bumpy Neeladri / Begur road to save tolls and time.

Begur road condition improved in March'14 but then I shifted to Delhi. There is one bypass just before St Xavier's school which connects to EC from Begur road, thus saving 5-10 minutes.

Worst section was Neeladri road which I believe is still unconstructed. In monsoons that section creates a mayhem for EC commuters.

Alternatively there is one County road - Begur road section from Hosur road which people use to reach BG Road. That road is also tolerable.
Old 13th June 2014, 10:33   #6122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
**Very long post, sorry, pouring the rants out!

Firstly, Hats off to all you folks who endure drives to Whitefield every day

Almost all the traffic at this junction wants to go beside the hanging bridge so traffic almost always crawls all the way to the K R Puram junction. From there some traffic takes the ramp to ORR and rest proceed towards Mahadevapura. Now, this road is pathetic in some places and has several junctions so it is again a slow moving zone till the Bhoruka signal. From there on, it eases a bit before all hell breaks loose at the Hoodi junction.

Concluding with this thought - like the elevated highway has made commute to Electronics City much more saner, is there a way out for Whitefield also via Old Madras Road ?
Welcome back NPV to living hell that has been created by us. I drive from Malleshwaram to Total Mall (Mahadevpura) junction every day. Don't call me crazy.

My total commute distance is 23kms each way and the total time it takes for me is 55mins (since I leave at 7:15am). The 1.5kms from Tin Factory to K.R Puram takes me 20 mins on an average.

So 5% of the distance takes 30% of the time and sometime thanks to a trailer breakdown the travel time increase exponentially.

The worst part is evenings. If I want to beat the chaos at K R Puram I must leave office before 4:15pm which isn't always possible.

My return journey takes me 1hr 10mins and I spend 25 mins to just reach the Kasthuri Nagar bridge.

This is torture of the highest order and don't see any solution to this.

Public transport from my side of town is non-existent

Hoping for better infrastructure (i am even ready to get on the metro till Byappanahalli if the metro from Majestic become operational

** Rant over :-(
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 10:54   #6123
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Welcome back NPV to living hell that has been created by us. I drive from Malleshwaram to Total Mall (Mahadevpura) junction every day. Don't call me crazy.

My total commute distance is 23kms each way and the total time it takes for me is 55mins (since I leave at 7:15am). The 1.5kms from Tin Factory to K.R Puram takes me 20 mins on an average.
Where is Total Mall in Mahadevapura ? Near Phoenix Market city/Bimal ?

If your destination is somewhere nearby these places, you pretty much don't have an alternative route! Even if you took Ramamurthy nagar from ORR and reach Old Madras Road beyond the Hanging bridge, from here to get to Mahadevapura only option is the narrow railway under-bridge that will reach near the Honda showroom but this is a 2 wheeler only bridge

I now avoid Mahadevapura by taking the Hanging Bridge and then take K R Puram-Devasandra-Hoodi-ITPL.
Old 13th June 2014, 14:26   #6124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where is Total Mall in Mahadevapura ? Near Phoenix Market city/Bimal ?
Total Mall is on ORR. Technically speaking, the location is Doddanekkundi.

While we are on the topic, I really want to meet the guy who thought having two gaps in median on either side of Phoenix Market City for people to U-turn into and out of the mall was a brilliant idea - I have a bridge to sell him.

How much nicer it would have been, if the gap in median was in front of PMC and was signal-controlled.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 14:29   #6125
Senior - BHPian

Doddanekundi - "Big Elephant's Backside" if translated literally. Or am I wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Doddanekkundi.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 16:12   #6126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Doddanekundi - "Big Elephant's Backside" if translated literally. Or am I wrong?
That is the literal translation in two South India languages.
I found this forum discussing the meaning,
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...50976&page=954
Old 13th June 2014, 17:25   #6127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's if you split the word into Dodd(a)-aane-kundi (Big-Elephant-backside).

The actual split is Dodda-Nekundi (Big-Nekundi). There's a Chikka-Nekundi (small-Nekundi) too, if I remember right. Same as Dodda and Chikka Ballapur and lots of other places.

Apologies if this was meant to be funny or sarcastic. I'm a bit dull catching sarcasm in writing
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 17:33   #6128
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Total Mall is on ORR. Technically speaking, the location is Doddanekkundi.
I also found that the place is known as Mahavevapura!
I was referring to the mahadevapura industrial estate where phoenix market city etc are located.
Edit: Yes, actually mahadevapura is accessible from both ORR and whitefield road (industrial estate road) and hence the confusion.

Last edited by NPV : 13th June 2014 at 17:37.
Old 13th June 2014, 18:15   #6129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also used to think so. But recently I read another explanation for the name on Quora.

Quote:
The area again was dominated by people of Telugu origin whose language got kannadicized. The name was Dodda Nakka Vundi which roughly translates to There's a big jackal there, which colloquially got converted to it's current hilarious name.
Quote:
I also found that the place is known as Mahavevapura!
When on the ORR from KR Puram, the first flyover (you have a big More supermarket on the left here) is Mahadevpura. The next is a junction with a signal - Soul Space Mall (Total) to your right and Samsung/EMC2 to your left - which is Doddanekkundi. Beyond that you cross under the Bangalore-Salem railway line and you are at Karthik Nagar. Further down is Marathahalli underpass.

Last edited by binand : 13th June 2014 at 18:22.
Old 13th June 2014, 20:56   #6130
Team-BHP Support

Traffic update on ORR.

Huge jam right from ISRO junction till Park Plaza hotel, traffic going towards KR Puram. I'm on the opposite side going towards Bellandur.

Avoid route if possible.
Old 15th June 2014, 21:34   #6131
BHPian

Not a rant, but a query to those who work in, or visit, the EcoSpace campus, Bellandur.

Is the traffic jam within the campus in the evenings a common occurrence ?

Last Wednesday, it took me a full hour to get to the front gate ( on Outer-Ring-Road ) from PriTech Park - at 9 PM !?!

This Thursday, saw a similar "jam" at ~9 PM...

Surprisingly, on both occasions there wasn't a lot of traffic on the Outer-Ring-Road.

Last edited by im_srini : 15th June 2014 at 21:37.
Old 16th June 2014, 07:39   #6132
BHPian

Drilling work going on between Marathalli Bridge and Kundanahalli Signal in front of Yashomathi Hospital towards Kundanahalli. There was a small jam already at 7 AM. Expecting some jam if the drilling machines, truck and tractor are not removed immediately.

Perfect time for drill I believe, peak hour on monday morning.

Regards
Old 16th June 2014, 10:34   #6133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Not a rant, but a query to those who work in, or visit, the EcoSpace campus, Bellandur.

Is the traffic jam within the campus in the evenings a common occurrence ?

Last Wednesday, it took me a full hour to get to the front gate ( on Outer-Ring-Road ) from PriTech Park - at 9 PM !?!

This Thursday, saw a similar "jam" at ~9 PM...

Surprisingly, on both occasions there wasn't a lot of traffic on the Outer-Ring-Road.
Yes ! Yes !! Yes !!!
Anytime after 6:30 pm is a nightmare.
Only 1 road ( of 2 lanes ) to exit for such a big campus.
The height of greed and lack of common-sense while planning.
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 12:04   #6134
BHPian

I am going after the lawless parking by BMTC volvos at Silkboard these days. Below is my second post on BTP wall. Plan to continue till this is stopped for good.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...52507835491257
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 12:26   #6135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I am going after the lawless parking by BMTC volvos at Silkboard these days. Below is my second post on BTP wall. Plan to continue till this is stopped for good.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...52507835491257
There is a big commercial complex coming up when you come from Silkboard signal towards HSR ring road and exit to LHS service road where all BMTC Volvo buses park their vehicle. Already that zone is so much chaos at this moment. Cant imagine what would be the situation once the buliding complex is up and functional

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks