Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2014, 10:16   #5806
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I'm seeing a lot of cars with cycle racks/stands fitted to them recently. I was just wondering whether these racks are illegal? They are a protrution on the rear of the car, and in accidents, could be fatal for a two wheeler hitting the car.

Attachment 1226561
I don't think they( bike racks) are ill-legal as such.I guess the criteria are

- If a bicycle is loaded , the bicycle must not project beyond the width of the vehicle
- The loading rack shouldn't obstruct a view of the number plate.

there is a height limitation too and I aint sure about it,should be in the range of 10 feet or so.

How do I know ? A well educated cop had stopped us in Mysore over a year back and we had a bike rack with 2 bicycles on it. He explained the rules since we had flouted the visibility factor of the number plate. We were let off with a warning.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 12:25   #5807
BHPian

Kodigehalli signal is becoming very bad. People drive in all possible directions. BTP needs to keep a check on it.

I see cops standing there, but they hardly do anything about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-wp_20140404_08_29_28_pro.jpg  

Old 7th April 2014, 07:12   #5808
BHPian

A sand laden truck has broken down on the right most lane near the Belandur flyover, towards Marathahalli. Reason: both right tyres at the rear are flat/ burst.

This was at 6:40AM. The driver was trying to cox the truck forward with no luck. Knowing how such cases pan out, there are sufficient chances that the truck would continue to stay put at the same location for a good half of the day.
Old 7th April 2014, 08:18   #5809
Senior - BHPian

On Saturday, a friend of mine narrated his experience.

He was riding his bike somewhere around Hebbal and came across a Honda City stopped on the left side, with a constable trying to get into the car from left and inspector trying to get the keys out of the car. The car driver was trying to move ahead, dragging the inspector and constable along. Inspector was shouting at others to park their vehicles in front of the City.

So my friend parked his bike in front of the car, went to the driver's side and helped inspector retrieve the key. When he did so, he couldn't stand the stench of alcohol around the driver.

Then the constable dragged the passenger out, slapped him and said, "nan mele beer bisaaktiyeno?" (are you throwing beer on me).

Inspector dragged the driver out. The driver wasn't able to stand. He fell to the ground. Inspector asked my friend to move the car to the edge of the road, which my friend did. Then someone took the car keys from him. Since my friend didn't want to get involved more, he escaped.
Old 7th April 2014, 09:36   #5810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
A sand laden truck has broken down on the right most lane near the Belandur flyover, towards Marathahalli. Reason: both right tyres at the rear are flat/ burst.

This was at 6:40AM. The driver was trying to cox the truck forward with no luck. Knowing how such cases pan out, there are sufficient chances that the truck would continue to stay put at the same location for a good half of the day.
As predicted, the truck was still in the same place when I passed around 7:45am, so expect slow moving traffic unless the truck is cleared.
rajakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 09:39   #5811
BHPian

Though your friend did play the good Samaritan it was dangerous I feel. Good knows why these morons need to drive under the influence of alcohol. Thank God both your friend and the cop were unhurt.
Old 7th April 2014, 09:44   #5812
BHPian

Looks like another car had crashed into the intel flyover just after ecospace. The vehicle wasn't there, but I could see the windshield sheet right there on the divider. Any idea about this?
Why aren't the cops doing anything to prevent these type of accidents. A few reflector strips and a cone or two will not hurt the national budget you know.
Old 7th April 2014, 09:45   #5813
Senior - BHPian

The alpine eco route which connects the graphite junction to outer ring road has a truck broken down on it that has caused a huge traffic pileup. My normal route from whitefield to total mall on ORR takes me 25 minutes or so. The same took me around an hour and 10 minutes today.
Old 7th April 2014, 09:54   #5814
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

An incident from 2 weeks ago:
On my way back from Whitefield on Old Madras Road around 9:50pm there was easy flowing traffic till Pai Layout where traffic came to complete stop since oncoming traffic had blocked all lanes in our direction and it seemed like there was a massive traffic jam
Not wanting to endure the pain and sensing it will take quite some time to clear up, I decided to park somewhere and wait it out. Luckily, I was near the Dominos Pizza outlet that had parking space in front so managed to park the car there.

Then got out to see what was happening - a traffic constable and inspector were at the Pai Layout junction and trying to control traffic. Surprising thing was the next junction ahead is Benniganahalli where there is a railway underpass with 2 separate tunnels for traffic in each direction and even then so many vehicles had used the wrong side of the road so I thought maybe some accident or road work was the reason they were diverted onto wrong lanes.
But the other side of the road was full of traffic as well so I was wondering what happened.
The cops managed to clear the traffic in about 15 minutes at Pai Layout junction so we started moving but only till the next junction hardly 200 metres away.
At the Benninganahalli junction there was a similar situation and vehicles in wrong direction had occupied our lanes and again a cop and few truckers/auto drivers helped clear the mess in 10 minutes.
We then moved ahead and there was absolutely no traffic in our direction towards Indiranagar!

Curious to know what had happened I asked one of the guys on the road what had happened and he said about 30 minutes earlier, traffic at the Big Bazar junction (there is a Police station at this junction as well!) was moving slowly but the opposite lanes were free so some vehicles started moving on wrong side and others followed.
Just shows how a few morons on the road can cause mayhem for other road users.

Some pictures that I managed to click while waiting at Pai Layout (some 2 wheelers even stopped on the outer ring road overbridge to watch the fun).
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-2.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-3.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-4.jpg  

Last edited by NPV : 7th April 2014 at 09:57.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 10:05   #5815
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like another car had crashed into the intel flyover just after ecospace. The vehicle wasn't there, but I could see the windshield sheet right there on the divider. Any idea about this?
Why aren't the cops doing anything to prevent these type of accidents. A few reflector strips and a cone or two will not hurt the national budget you know.
Yup, i saw that windshield. They must have cleared it.

Forget the national budget. They can keep a box there, if some of us drop a rupee, a day's collection would bring enough money to fix reflectors as you suggested, for all the fly-overs'.

I think, they do not have the "willingness" to do it or to put it in other words, they do not care.
Old 7th April 2014, 10:07   #5816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The alpine eco route which connects the graphite junction to outer ring road has a truck broken down on it that has caused a huge traffic pileup. My normal route from whitefield to total mall on ORR takes me 25 minutes or so. The same took me around an hour and 10 minutes today.
Not related to your post, but then thought you could help me out being a regular...

Whats the best way to get onto ORR (to Madiwala) from the Marriott/ there abouts?

Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 12:01   #5817
BHPian

Quote:
Not related to your post, but then thought you could help me out being a regular...

Whats the best way to get onto ORR (to Madiwala) from the Marriott/ there abouts?

Thanks
I suggest using only the main roads.
EPIP road > Graphite India signal > Kundhalahalli > ORR > Agara > Sarjapur road > Jakksandra > take a left onto the Madiwala underpass.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 12:15   #5818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suggest using only the main roads.
EPIP road > Graphite India signal > Kundhalahalli > ORR > Agara > Sarjapur road > Jakksandra > take a left onto the Madiwala underpass.
In my experience, crossing Kundalahalli Gate signal from Brookefield to Marathahalli is significantly more time consuming when compared to crossing it from Siddhapura to Marathahalli. So if the Vydehi Hospital junction-Siddhapura road is still functional, I'd take it.
Old 7th April 2014, 14:03   #5819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
In my experience, crossing Kundalahalli Gate signal from Brookefield to Marathahalli is significantly more time consuming when compared to crossing it from Siddhapura to Marathahalli. So if the Vydehi Hospital junction-Siddhapura road is still functional, I'd take it.
Off late the BMTC buses going to ITPL (Chartered buses) go via Kundalahalli gate, Siddhapura road to reach vydehi hospital. This stretch can be choked at times.
Old 7th April 2014, 14:23   #5820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Take SH-35 (road behind forum value mall that goes towards varthur village) towards Sarjapur Road, turn right on Sarjapur Road. This then passes the Wipro Campus and connects to ORR at Bellandur. This avoids most of the crazy snarls.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks