Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2014, 02:02   #5491
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Had the same experience on two consecutive nights on the way back from work.
Wondering if these Auto drivers sleep ride their ricks.

I ride back home daily between 315-345am . The roads are more or less free except for cabs on ITPL road and trucks on Ring road. I get to do good speeds on the way back and I enjoy it since the engine runs perfectly on my aging Bullets in the cold .

Two nights back I was doing good speeds towards ITC flyover on Banasawadi flyover when I saw an auto approaching from a side road. I was on bright light and thought he had noticed. He had actually not! He noticed when I hit the brakes and stopped bang in the middle of the road. Luckily my bike had the brakes replaced in the last service and I was able to stop without any drama and gave a mouthful to the half asleep autodriver and even then, they have to prove they are right.

Last night.
Again doing a good speed and hitting KR Puram from Whitefiled Honda side when a auto decided to just cut across without even looking to his left. He had just got a passenger from the station and I am sure he was hurrying before the passenger tries arguing about the fare and did not bother looking for traffic.
Same thing the second time, jammed the brakes and swerved. I was thinking, I there were to be oil or sand on the road when I hit the brakes, it would have created a mess.
Basically need to ride in low speeds in the middle of the night as well!
Old 31st January 2014, 04:05   #5492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Basically need to ride in low speeds in the middle of the night as well!
Oh Yes, one has to ride / drive slow even at the dead of night.
I am having the misfortune of being put into night shift this week (today's my last).

So I decided to drive to work at 11:00 PM expecting sober drivers. I was so very wrong.
Everyone was on a High Beam as usual.
Heavy Vehicles (Long Trailers, Loaded Containers, etc) blocked the 2/3 lanes of the road.
Late Shift employees & Drunk Pedestrians were always on the look out for suicide attempt. Be careful of this group !!
In all this mellee, Auto wallahs and Cabbies trying to make it fast to earn some night time exorbitant fares.

For the first two days, I drove at around 80-90kmph. I am shockingly still alive to write this post !! Everyday, by the time I reached office my BP was Super High probably !!

The last 3 days, I have been sober at 60kmph, sticking to left lane. Engage the 5th gear, fix your ride to the left lane and cruise along. Leave the maniacs on their own.

And yes, switch on the High Beam. I have decided to give a rat's ass to the oncoming vehicles with high beam. I have a soft corner for 2 wheelers with high beam. I just let them at the mercy of the cabbies.
I let vehilces with high beam behind me to overtake me, I then switch on to high beam and keep flashing to irritate them.
Old 31st January 2014, 08:23   #5493
BHPian

There has been an accident involving two force travellers at Marathahalli ISRO u turn point in outer ring road towards total mall side. Traffic police is there at 8:15. Very slow traffic from marathahalli bridge to isro.
Old 31st January 2014, 14:05   #5494
BHPian

Stupid truck broke down on the Sarjapur flyover on Wednesday evening and caused a major pile up inside eco-space. It took my 1.5 hrs to get my car from basement my colleague took 3 hrs to travel 200 mts to the main road.
Why do they allow commercial vehicles inside city premises in peak hours - all cities in India have these rules and the MLAs want to go all over the world to look for solutions.

Proves that where there is no will the will be no way
Old 31st January 2014, 23:22   #5495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Stupid truck broke down on the Sarjapur flyover on Wednesday evening and caused a major pile up inside eco-space. It took my 1.5 hrs to get my car from basement my colleague took 3 hrs to travel 200 mts to the main road. Why do they allow commercial vehicles inside city premises in peak hours - all cities in India have these rules and the MLAs want to go all over the world to look for solutions. Proves that where there is no will the will be no way
Yeah. It's so crazy that I left my car in the basement.
Old 1st February 2014, 01:19   #5496
Senior - BHPian

Dedicated to people affected by Bangalore's traffic maniacs !!
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1391197739773.jpg  

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 1st February 2014 at 01:32.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 19:00   #5497
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this on another forum. Saw in traffic police page on Facebook that they have forwarded the complaint to local police station in charge:
http://deponti.livejournal.com/1047451.html
Old 3rd February 2014, 21:08   #5498
BHPian

Is there ANY way to keep the "slow movers" hog the right most lane? Most of the time I find that the road ahead is not congested, its just the slow moving trucks & what not who have monopolized the right most lane creating artificial bottlenecks. Typical everyday examples - ORR, NICE road, Hosur road...

Ohh, there are nice signboards which clearly go against the current "spirit". But to no avail. </rant>
Old 3rd February 2014, 21:18   #5499
Distinguished - BHPian

Did an airport run yesterday. Was pretty impressed with the Hebbal-Airport Expressway. Noticed it reduced time taken by around 20 min (from Belandur to Airport). Interesting observation when I was on the expressway. Noticed pretty much every one driving at/under the speed limit of 80kmph (Including cabs) and sticking to their lanes. For a moment I felt I was driving in the US . Any idea if the expressway is CCTV monitored? Or maybe it is a temporary scenario till people get comfortable with the expressway. Or maybe I just happened to be in the company of a group of good drivers at that point in time.
Old 3rd February 2014, 22:25   #5500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Interesting observation when I was on the expressway. Noticed pretty much every one driving at/under the speed limit of 80kmph (Including cabs) and sticking to their lanes.
Earlier, the cabbies had mastered the art of speeding like maniacs and then suddenly slowing to 80, because they knew each and every location for the police interceptors and their speed guns!

Now they are on the learning curve again
Old 3rd February 2014, 22:31   #5501
Senior - BHPian

I had been to the McD on the new airport road on saturday night. It was a peaceful drive and traffic seems to have been well behaved. There were some two wheeler maniacs who were riding on the opposite lane, on the elevated road, with their blinkers on, and that was the only irritant.

I seriously do hope that once the road is made a toll road, the two and three wheelers, along with the slow moving trucks are not allowed on it, else it would defeat the purpose of this stretch.
Old 3rd February 2014, 22:49   #5502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
There were some two wheeler maniacs who were riding on the opposite lane, on the elevated road, with their blinkers on, and that was the only irritant.
When one sees these bikers, one needs to become Chacha Chaudhury !!

Guess why ? Because "Chacha Chaudhury's brain works faster than a computer"

Else, Boom with the Bikers !!

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 3rd February 2014 at 22:50.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2014, 13:09   #5503
Senior - BHPian

Last Bencher spotted near Silk Board !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1391672238002.jpg  

Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 13:47   #5504
BHPian

New lane markings have come up on the Mission Road - MTR (lalbaug) stretch.

Since Monday, I decided to drive in the center lane to let pass the anxious ones from the right and the left.

Believe me, seated in my car, I felt like I was walking on a railway track (a single track among the pair). I get a feeling like I have stretched my hands and am trying to balance myself on a single track.

No one is ready to drive in one lane. I get my lane cut by autos and even high end cars. The less I speak about the 2-wheelers, the better. Educated morons, trying to get back home, as if it is the last day they are going to see their near and dear ones!!

Everytime I reach this stretch on my way home, I think how smooth the traffic can be if everyone drives in their respective lanes.

I had planned to get the following lines pasted on the car's rear bumper, but had to drop the idea as it was opposed by the "Home Minister" -

1) Don't honk unnecessarily, I am not planning to spend the night here!

2) Don't Rush; Start Early!

3) Stick to your lane. I am as eager to get home as you are!

I have decided to stick to lane-driving on all roads that have their lanes marked clearly. I am not giving up so easily!
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 14:18   #5505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
.......I have decided to stick to lane-driving on all roads that have their lanes marked clearly. I am not giving up so easily!.....
Kudos for the effort! It's a nightmare trying to hold a lane, esp. in crowded cities. Even if one tries, someone is constantly trying to push you to the adjacent lane trying to cut in front of you with inches (sometimes barely centimeters) to spare.

Currently, the most used accessory on my car in the city is the turn indicator to change lanes. I've observed an increase in the number of times I've had to make apologetic gestures to drivers besides me because I changed into their lane to avoid a side-swiping bully on the other side.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks