Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2013, 20:22   #5371
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Please beware while crossing Leela Palace on Old Airport road tonight if you are driving after midnight. We have a family friend living nearby who is hosting new year party for last couple of years. On both 31st Dec 2011 & 2012, I have witnessed totally drunk revellers(mostly drunk young couples) coming out of Leela (after enjoying their party) without paying any attention to the traffic around them. Also, there'll be a lot of autowallas parked in front of Leela palace gate, so watch out.
Old 31st December 2013, 23:02   #5372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Boy, and I was thinking I am a weirdo. :-) My favourites are:

- A baseball bat under the right ORVM that would smash the headlights of guys coming towards me with high beam on.
- A scythe-like contraption that would be deployed to cut through both the right-side doors of any car that overtakes me from left and cuts in front of me.
adding mine:
- Flash a powerful torch into the face of the oncoming high-beamed vehicle.
- Let the car behind me who's using high beams overtake me and give him the same treatment.
Old 1st January 2014, 09:30   #5373
BHPian

Yesterday night it was really the worst display of road manners have seen by two-wheelers! Most of them drunk and riding as though the world got end.

Four wheelers were not less dangerous either, but way the two-wheelers were riding got me a bit scared, what if they hit some one. These people were wheeling in traffic (though traffic was moderate), riding zig-zag, no helmet.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:23   #5374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Yesterday night it was really the worst display of road manners have seen by two-wheelers! Most of them drunk and riding as though the world got end.
These people were wheeling in traffic (though traffic was moderate), riding zig-zag, no helmet.
Looks like one mindless reveller died trying a wheelie stunt on a busy street. What's more?? 2 innocent bikers got hit by this guy from behind for no reason, and are now hospitalized!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/28253194.cms

Quote:
Celebrations to usher in 2014 took a tragic turn around 1am when Salim Pasha, 35, a mechanic-cum-car driver from Valmikinagar in Chamarajpet, sustained serious head injuries when his two-wheeler rammed two other scooters near Town Hall.

Salim and his friend Sadiq welcomed 2014 with revellers on MG Road and rode back to Town Hall to perform bike stunts, police said. They thought the huge area in front of Town Hall, where three thoroughfares intersect, provided them a perfect arena to stage the stunts.
I have seen helmet-less youth like these performing dare-devil stunts on automatic scooters and RX100/135 bikes even in broad daylight in Jayanagar/Tilaknagar area and the traffic cops turn a blind eye even if they are in the vicinity.

These reckless idiots are a menace to even the safe drivers/riders and innocent pedestrians on the roads, if they make a small mistake with their 'just miss' tactics.
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:44   #5375
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Pic of above mentioned accident was posted by another member in accidents forum http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3333178
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:18   #5376
Distinguished - BHPian

There was TERRIBLE traffic today morning in front of Columbia Asia & Esteem Mall heading into the city. Even with a lot of policing and barricades etc, traffic was very very slow-moving.

This was inevitable given the 'trial' opening of the KIAL expressway. It's not possible to channel roughly 10 lanes of traffic into 2 lanes on Hebbal flyover!

Hebbal will turn into another KR Puram or Silk Board in no time at all :-(
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:30   #5377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Looks like one mindless reveller died trying a wheelie stunt on a busy street. What's more?? 2 innocent bikers got hit by this guy from behind for no reason, and are now hospitalized!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
^^ Pic of above mentioned accident was posted by another member in accidents forum
This is exactly I was thinking other day while driving back home.

People really do not know the value freedom!

Quote:
I have seen helmet-less youth like these performing dare-devil stunts on automatic scooters and RX100/135 bikes even in broad daylight in Jayanagar/Tilaknagar area and the traffic cops turn a blind eye even if they are in the vicinity.
Yeah, I have seen this every time I happen to take Ring Road [connecting Mysore road to BTM].
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:41   #5378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hebbal will turn into another KR Puram or Silk Board in no time at all :-(
Unfortunately, there are no other usable routes to the city from the airport. The taxi drivers' favourite via Reva ITM, Bellahalli & Kannur has pretty bad roads, looks unsafe in the night and can be a worse traffic bottleneck. Why didn't they provide an eastward exit from the airport connecting to NH 207 and onwards to east/south-east/south of the city? The Hyderabad airport operator managed to have that (via Srisailam Highway entering the city at Falaknuma).
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:02   #5379
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, there are no other usable routes to the city from the airport. The taxi drivers' favourite via Reva ITM, Bellahalli & Kannur has pretty bad roads, looks unsafe in the night and can be a worse traffic bottleneck. Why didn't they provide an eastward exit from the airport connecting to NH 207 and onwards to east/south-east/south of the city? The Hyderabad airport operator managed to have that (via Srisailam Highway entering the city at Falaknuma).

During the recent renaming of BIAL to KIAL, there was a statement that two more entry/exits have been planned for the airport. Not sure when it would be ready.
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:05   #5380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why didn't they provide an eastward exit from the airport connecting to NH 207 and onwards to east/south-east/south of the city? The Hyderabad airport operator managed to have that (via Srisailam Highway entering the city at Falaknuma).
True, there are minimal options into BLR city in the current state of affairs.

In fact the 'back door' to BIAL is largely ready I understand, and will connect to SH104 and NH207 at Haralur. They should quickly resolve whatever issues are pending and operationalize it.
Old 2nd January 2014, 15:53   #5381

Was in a cab, driving back from BIAL to my residence. While the traffic was terrible, I heard a radio DJ praising the bangalore cops for not having a single breath analyser check on the 31st night. couldn't help but laugh on the irony and hypocrisy. Why should that night be any different when it comes to safety of drunkards and even more importantly the others. The result of such laxity is the death of this self proclaimed dare devil and grievous injuries to two innocent by passers. I don't want to say these guys were drunk but the rampant disregard the chops showed that night was deplorable.
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:31   #5382
BHPian

Avoid Mekhri Circle today towards airport if you can. Half of the road is blocked due to repair at the underpass. HUGE queues seen in the morning and it would be worst in the evening.
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 18:06   #5383
Senior - BHPian

A funny incident happened on the way to work which goes on to say what levels of stupidness people in general have reached on the road.

I was heading towards Whitefield on the Whitefield Main road and was at the ABB signal heading straight. The right goes towards Graphite India signal.
The traffic was slow moving and I always stick to the extreme left at this signal since I am headed straight.
Today, I ended up on the right side of the road after a series of overtakes just before the signal. There was a M800 on the right lane turning right and I was on my Bullet on the rear left corner of his bumper when he braked. Since I was too close to him, my crashguard grazed against his bumper in very slow speeds. Knowing a 800 and a Bullet, the driver , a young hero, felt the jolt and started his aerobics display in the car and asked me to pull over. Since it was my fault, I obliged and took a right, when I am headed straight and pulled over. All this while, the driver of the 800 was honking away for me to stop thinking I was going to ride away.
Once I stopped, he parked his car in front of me and started of the usual in Kannada- 'can't you see blah blah'. I can manage Kannada, so I asked him what is the damage to which he pointed out an old scratch on the corner of the bumper to which I laughed and I said , that was already there to which he got even agitated.
I asked him then, why did you stop me in the first place when I had waved my hand saying sorry? Do you want money for the damage or?
For which he answered saying, 'I don't want money, I want you to accept that you hit my bumper'.
At this, I was with my mouth open not knowing what to say! He kept on repeating the same thing and accusing me that I did not agree that I hit him.
For which I lost it and gave him a mouthful saying, the whole reason we are here stopped on the side of the road is that because I hit your car and I am not denying it. It is just that there was no marks on the car after the small hit.
I told him, if you have stopped me like I banged into your bumper and broken it in half , and have only this to say , then your are quite stupid and doing this just for argument sake and wasting time. He murmured something and drove off.
Was wondering that once on the road, people are like dogs. One dog gets into another dogs territory and they will just pounce on it and will wait for that chance.
Gone are the days of being a Gentleman and apologizing, which does not make sense to many on the road anyway.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 22:23   #5384
BHPian

Going to the airport to drop a friend in a few hours.
Wanted to know if the expressway to BIAL is open? If so, how much is the toll?
Will be returning alone. Just me, my car and some music

Looking forward to a relaxed drive. Also, will there be any interceptors at around 2-2 30 am? I've heard they tend to catch solo drivers even when they're well within their speed limit and try to extract money.
Old 4th January 2014, 22:40   #5385
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Going to the airport to drop a friend in a few hours.
Wanted to know if the expressway to BIAL is open? If so, how much is the toll?
Will be returning alone. Just me, my car and some music

Looking forward to a relaxed drive. Also, will there be any interceptors at around 2-2 30 am? I've heard they tend to catch solo drivers even when they're well within their speed limit and try to extract money.
The elevated expressway is not yet open, work is still in progress so you just have to bite the bullet and take the road below and it's not a smooth drive as there are several places where the road is not flat and some diversions as well due to widening work, in all not a smooth drive. Given this condition, not safe to do higher speeds.
Not sure about cops with interceptors but they may be around watching for signal jumpers since a lot of folks do that during the late night drives
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks